Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Building a counterbalanced putter on the (relatively) cheap

Moecat

1.  Find a suitable used heavy putter head (e.g., from a long putter like the one below)

20140114_124755.jpg

20140110_124801.jpg

2. Reshaft or cut down existing shaft to 38 inches playing length

3. Install a heavy grip (100 grams, like the SuperStroke Flatso 17 below) along with a 50 gram weight in the butt end of the shaft

20140110_124849.jpg

And that's all there really is to it!

Even if you don't do everything yourself, the total cost is still less than half that of a new Futura X Dual Balance ... and even 15% - 25% less than an Odyssey Tank, Spider Blade, Scottsdale TR Anser 2B, etc.  

Feel and forgiveness easily rivals all of these, too.

I'm in that process as well, plan on doing a write up once I get it all finished.

Bought a 2-ball Mid from Dicks for $35.  Sent it to Spryevo to get a milled copper insert put in which adds 58g to the already stout 400g head.  I bought a 3" clevis pin which weighs around 70g to drop in the top of the shaft under the grip once I get it shafted up.  Still need to figure out how long I'm going to make it though.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Still need to figure out how long I'm going to make it though.

Do you have access to a golf shop, or do you know anyone who has a Cleveland Almost Belly putter?  If so, it may be worth your while to fool around with one on a carpet or practice green to get a sense of how long to make yours.

Do you have access to a golf shop, or do you know anyone who has a Cleveland Almost Belly putter?  If so, it may be worth your while to fool around with one on a carpet or practice green to get a sense of how long to make yours.

I've played around with some already and I generally play my putters at 33".  So debating where to go in the 33-35" range.  I've heard different theories on the importance of getting the weight above your hands, and how far above it needs to be.  Plus I'm going to be using a Bestgrips putter grip so it will not be an extra long grip.  I don't want to make it too long and have to grip down to the shaft.

Hopefully a putter fitting will be part of the TMaG trip next week and I'll get an idea of what feels good.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Archived