Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

driver face coating

I'm not sure this would be legal for play. And it could change club head weight, feel, and some other stuff. It depends how the ball comes off the face. It could come off differently or it may act the same as titanium. Ceramic isn't very durable so I would imagine that this wouldn't be the best option for a driver face.

I'm curious if it will turn it into a sort of titanium ceramic composite material. Would be interesting to find out what the final material properties would be like

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I would hazard a guess and say it could be a manufacturing treatment to a titanium face to improve its structural properties. But I could be wrong

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

It could be. I read it as a coating that can be applied to a base metal that would change the material properties of the suface, similar to anodizing aluminium or an oxide layer or some sort. Looking forward to when PCTB adds more!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All and thanks for the comments and questions. To be honest I do not know what performace changes would happen if I coated a titanium driver face? It would need testing

The procces is like anodizing or hard-coat. It converts (key word) the surface to ceramic. The layer (oxide as mentioned)  not thick and very controlable and it moves or flexes with the base material. Being ceramic it would wear very well. 

I am not a golf driver expert but I do understand the driver trampoline effect. I would like to learn what could happen if the driver face or entire head was coated, outside, inside? Frequency or harminic changes, sound, spin control, loft? By the way the coating holds paint very well. 

I'd be happy to connect with a driver manufacture and run no-charge  samples. Anyone know a way or has an idea? 

Steve 

So you have no idea if it will help or hurt the performance of a club? You just want to do it because it sounds cool? Am I the only one completely lost here? You do know that they have materials engineers that spend all day doing nothing but this kind of stuff, right? MacGregor had some clubs in the mid 1960's with a ceramic face. It chipped easily and was abandoned.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

http://www.google.com/patents/US3975023

Patented in the early 1970's and it never went anywhere.

Thanks for that link. I expect this was a ceramic plate fitted in a classic wood were the steel plate was fitted?

Technology then I expect is far different than what I am describing. There are ceramic technologies today that are dipped or sprayed, these are applied coatings. The PCT converts the surface so it's atomically part of the actual surface.

I am doing business development for this PCT process. The industrial applications are easy to define, increased wear and chemical and salt resistant more than any other coating on the market. There are dielectric and small thermo qualities too. I believe it's the hardness and mechanical properties that would be of interest to the club makers.

The ceramic layer is quite ductile we have proven this in industrial many applications. The driver application is of  interest as it is unconventional. I am interested to see if I can get product tested and see what the results are or what other design innovations this may lead the driver manufactures to? Driver technology as we all know is a mix of science and engineering that we all hope makes the ball go straighter and longer.

I am not near smart or interested enough in this to be of any help, but good luck!

Will this increase COR?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thats how I thought the coating was going to work, have no idea how it would end up impacting the performance of a driver but would depend on the placement and application of the coating to alter specs. Hope you get in contact with an R & D place and it goes somwhere. I did a little bit of material engineering during my degree and would be interested in the final outcome

I would maybe have a look at either the long drive manufacturers and maybe some of the smaller OEM's listed in the 2014 most wanted would be worth having a chat too

Archived