Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MGS Official Forum Member Reviews! Cobra Bio Cell Irons!

GolfSpy WD

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the Review JB,

As always you are as colorful as the Rainbow.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to post that I am loving the Bio Cell irons.......added the Bio Cell Driver, 3w, 5W & 2H (Wildcat Blue, of course)and my play has been down the middle.

I shot an 83 yesterday (38/45) with 1 Birdie, 7 Pars, 6 Bogies & 4 Doubles.  I came in 5th place in our weekly game. (I was +9 and there were 3 @ +10 and a +13).  This is the second week that I have been in the money.  Two weeks ago, we played Wentworth in Tarpon Springs and the winner was +2 (That was Me!)

The Cobras have added 20 yards to my Drive and are keeping me in the fairway. The irons are getting me close to the green, if not on.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I just wanted to post that I am loving the Bio Cell irons.......added the Bio Cell Driver, 3w, 5W & 2H (Wildcat Blue, of course)and my play has been down the middle.

I shot an 83 yesterday (38/45) with 1 Birdie, 7 Pars, 6 Bogies & 4 Doubles.  I came in 5th place in our weekly game. (I was +9 and there were 3 @ +10 and a +13).  This is the second week that I have been in the money.  Two weeks ago, we played Wentworth in Tarpon Springs and the winner was +2 (That was Me!)

The Cobras have added 20 yards to my Drive and are keeping me in the fairway. The irons are getting me close to the green, if not on.

Awesome Foz--can't wait to see you work your mastery of them in person!

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

• 4 weeks later...

Still playing mine, and really liking them, but I did discover I did in fact get a set of the ladies Irons. Makes me feel a little weird that I like a ladies club so much.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

JB,  so you have the Ladies clubhead with a stiff shaft?

• 1 month later...

Well, it has been a few months since that rainy February evening when Rev handed the Cobra Bio Cell irons over to me from Jax. 

post-17701-0-88003700-1395928378.jpg

Here it is the middle of July and the Cobra Bio Cell irons are still in my bag.  I still have much confidence from the 4 Iron through the Gap Wedge.  I recently played two new courses in Central Kentucky while on vacation, Kearney Hills GC & The Wildcat @ U of KY.  I was able to identify the yardage then select an iron with confidence and execute the shot.  I know my swing is not perfect, and tends to stay on my back foot when I get tired, but the Bio Cells perform.  When I remember to transfer my weight back to my Left foot on the downswing, the shot returns.  These irons will definitely stay in my bag for the foreseeable future.  The Grips that were provided by Cobra, Lamkin R.E.L. ACE 3 Gen's are holding up well to two+ rounds a week since February.

BTW, I added the Driver, 3W, 5W & 2H ......all in Blue as well.  Their performance (allthough outside the course of this review) is amazing as well.

Did I mention that my Handicap has gone down, from 19 to 14?........well it has!

They are nice looking sticks.

Here's the best thing about them - the night that I gave them to Foz I was on my way to the UConn/USF hoops game.  UConn was on its way to getting drilled and it looked like their season was going down the drain fast when Kevin Ollie tried this small lineup for the first time all season.  UConn erased a 11 point deficit and turned into a 10 point lead in less than five minutes.  They then hung on to win.  No one would have left the Sundome thinking they just saw the National Champion but it was that same line up that turned around the Mich St. and Florida games in the Elite 8 and National Semi-final games.  Pretty cool to have been there at the start of it all.

Oh and we also got to see Shabbaz geing Shabbaz down the stretch. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

They are nice looking sticks.

Here's the best thing about them - the night that I gave them to Foz I was on my way to the UConn/USF hoops game.  UConn was on its way to getting drilled and it looked like their season was going down the drain fast when Kevin Ollie tried this small lineup for the first time all season.  UConn erased a 11 point deficit and turned into a 10 point lead in less than five minutes.  They then hung on to win.  No one would have left the Sundome thinking they just saw the National Champion but it was that same line up that turned around the Mich St. and Florida games in the Elite 8 and National Semi-final games.  Pretty cool to have been there at the start of it all.

Oh and we also got to see Shabbaz geing Shabbaz down the stretch. :)

Thanks Rev......you just had to make that connection to UCONN and their run to the championship.......Go Big Blue! Go Wildcats!

Member review follow-up

So I've been gaming the Cobra BioCell irons since we first reviewed them. Over that time I've not even looked at another set of irons (with the exception of the TMaG TourPreferred line-up, and… lets face it, I'd have had to be blind not to notice them). I'm surprised that these haven't been more popular – I know that there is a glut of different iron options out there, but these just work really well for me. No doubt in time I'll tire of them, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

I haven't been able to play an enormous amount over the last few months but I've seen my handicap drop from 20 to 16 since January, and I know that a big part of that has been as a result of being more accurate with my mid-iron and short-iron approaches to greens.

IMG_3122.JPG

Overall, I'm totally stoked with the way the Bio Cells are working out for me. I have considered giving the Adams CB3s a look back into the bag, but haven't been able to justify it enough. In fact, as much as I love them, I'm weighing up selling the CB3s to add a Bio Cell driver to the bag!

Thanks again to Cobra and MyGolfSpy for the opportunity to review these!

• SPY VIP

Member review follow-up

So I've been gaming the Cobra BioCell irons since we first reviewed them. Over that time I've not even looked at another set of irons (with the exception of the TMaG TourPreferred line-up, and… lets face it, I'd have had to be blind not to notice them). I'm surprised that these haven't been more popular – I know that there is a glut of different iron options out there, but these just work really well for me. No doubt in time I'll tire of them, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

I haven't been able to play an enormous amount over the last few months but I've seen my handicap drop from 20 to 16 since January, and I know that a big part of that has been as a result of being more accurate with my mid-iron and short-iron approaches to greens.

attachicon.gifIMG_3122.JPG

Overall, I'm totally stoked with the way the Bio Cells are working out for me. I have considered giving the Adams CB3s a look back into the bag, but haven't been able to justify it enough. In fact, as much as I love them, I'm weighing up selling the CB3s to add a Bio Cell driver to the bag!

Thanks again to Cobra and MyGolfSpy for the opportunity to review these!

After playing with you these irons are a good fit

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• 5 weeks later...

Well, here it is moving toward the end of the summer and guess what?  The Cobra Bio Cell irons are still in my bag!  I am having a hard time believing that I could switch from graphite shafts to steel and play without any pain or aggravation from my gimpy left wrist.  I still look forward to hitting these irons every Saturday.  

• 9 months later...

Now it has been a year since the reviews were posted.  I replaced the Bio Cells with Mizuno JPX800 Pro's while I looked for and obtained some Project X 5.0 graphite shafts.  I had the steel shafts pulled from the cobras and the graphite shafts were cut and inserted.  I then gripped them with Pure grips and put them back in my bag.  Now, I have some irons that play very well.  The graphite shaft provides a higher flight and they are as straight as they were before.  I also am benefiting from less vibration.   BTW, my club comped the cost of replacing the shafts as i run the Saturday Game which benefits the Club every week.  They were most gracious.  Will try to get some new pics up with the graphite shafts.

That's awesome Foz,

I've made a change back to the Adams Idea Black CB3s and, similar to you, have gone with composite shafts in them. I shafted them with Paderson 95gm composite shafts. I really like the shafts, but I think that I probably need to get some heads that are a little more forgiving. Something between the CB3s and the Bio Cells I think... not sure what yet!

I am getting ready for a 4 day, 24 player Buddy Trip to Kissimmee next week and am really stoked about the play I am getting from the Bio Cells.....Actually, I took the 19* hybrid out and replaced it with the Bio Cell 4 iron, so I am now:

Driver: Cobra Bio Cell @ 11.5* w/ Project Xv 5.5 shaft or Powerbilt DFX w/Aldila RIP Beta shaft

Fairway: Cobra Bio Cell 3 Wood at 14.5* and 5 wood @ 17*, bith with Project Xv 5.5 shafts

Irons: Cobra Bio Cell 4 - PW with Project X 5.0 shafts

Wedges: SCOR 50, 54 & 57* with Genesis steel shafts

Putter: Ping Ketsch 33"

Foz--Glad the Bio-Cells worked out for you!

Interesting that you became a fan of their woods as well!

• 3 weeks later...

What's not to like?  They are all Blue!....LOL

• 3 weeks later...

jax, I have gamed a lot of Cobra Drivers & Fairway woods....from the SS350 to the LD Speeds to the Bio Cells.  Currently, i have the driver set at 11.5* and am getting 200-220 in the fairway.  This gives me the best opportunity to make the green.  I also have a couple(3) PowerBilt Drivers that I use for a round or two then switch back to the Cobra.

Archived