TESTERS WANTED! ×

High School Season Thread

whiskey golf

What type of courses does your team play at?  I know in my school, the team plays at mostly run down small courses.

Our home course is a golf club but not a fancy membership course, and it's not a city municipal course either. These other schools we play are usually at nice country clubs for the most part.

This isn't high school related but I thought I'd share anyways, I played a quick nine and shot 40 (+4) which could have been better with putting,  so I feel as if I'm getting better and I'm really able to limit the damage on some of these holes. This round and my last round add up to a 78 which I'm happy with. 

Also, the Taylormade R1 is coming out of the bag. I'm putting back in my Cleveland DST Launcher which is getting better results. It's going the same distance and is much straighter most likely due to the shaft which even though stock, is stiffer and a little heavier. 

I didn't have that good of round today 42 (+6), putting was a major problem with 3 three putts and I had one hole, a par 3, where I struck the ball really well but didn't get the cut I was looking for and wound up in a bunker and proceeded to make a double with a chunked first bunker shot. 

Try to get some extra work on the greens and work on "seeing" your line and path and just relax, forget all the technical crap, and stroke the ball.

Relax :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard

Good advice RP I got into the technical thing a few years ago myself got to where I could not hit the hole if it was the size of a washtub

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The season is back after spring break. We won our first league match today which puts our total record at 4 wins, 1 loss. We won at their home course and this year is the first time we have beat this particular school at their course. I shot 40 (+4) which is alright for today's conditions. The greens were just punched and sanded so everything was an automatic two putt, so if you get a GIR then it's an automatic par. I missed too many greens and the first hole, double bogey, wasn't a good way to start but I'll take the 40. 

The season is back after spring break. We won our first league match today which puts our total record at 4 wins, 1 loss. We won at their home course and this year is the first time we have beat this particular school at their course. I shot 40 (+4) which is alright for today's conditions. The greens were just punched and sanded so everything was an automatic two putt, so if you get a GIR then it's an automatic par. I missed too many greens and the first hole, double bogey, wasn't a good way to start but I'll take the 40. 

If you one putted, they would still count that right?

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Good deal keep on grinding don't back off

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Hang in there Whiskey, I am enjoying the read and wish your team well.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

What type of courses does your team play at?  I know in my school, the team plays at mostly run down small courses.

Oh you guys will both be upset when I tell you that my son played high school golf when we lived in Wisconsin. His home courses were whistling straits and black wolf run. Not everyone has heard of black wolf but it's course are very much the equal of whistling and have been used for a couple of Women's US Opens.

The best part of that was the team made me an "assistant coach" and I got to play those course a few times myself with the guys. Whistling costs over $400.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Oh you guys will both be upset when I tell you that my son played high school golf when we lived in Wisconsin. His home courses were whistling straits and black wolf run. Not everyone has heard of black wolf but it's course are very much the equal of whistling and have been used for a couple of Women's US Opens.

The best part of that was the team made me an "assistant coach" and I got to play those course a few times myself with the guys. Whistling costs over $400.

Wow, the courses that I will start playing at next year are not even full length courses

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

Both my older boys did junior golf at whistling. Given how popular that course has become I doubt it's offered there anymore. But it's sister courses don't exactly stink.

Good luck on your seasons guys. Look at how great golf is that we can have so many generations on this site enjoying talking about the game. My golf team starts practice in a week. Can't wait.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That's awesome, playing those courses constantly would make everything else seem like child's play.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I've been busy with school and haven't had much time to participate on MGS. So here's a quick rundown of what's been going on, our team is in a major slump right now. The past couple of rounds nobody is playing to expectations and we've had two losses, both to the same team. This team is a powerhouse but we aren't even putting up a fight. I've been playing mediocre and had a chance at a good round yesterday but a 4 putt double bogey cost me that on the last hole from 20-25ft. I had a really good round going and that killed it. We have 4 matches next week and three of them are league and we need one win to get a spot in league championships for the first time in our program's history. We have a lot of talent but we aren't showing it lately.

We had three matches this week so far, one we lost to a good team, one we won against a not so good team, and then there was the match with our rival school. We lost by one stroke. In our league, each team plays 7 players and you take the top 5 scores. Well our teams were tied after 5 or 6 scores and it came down to the 7th guy. I played in the final group with the 7th guy and I was #8 since it was our home course and we can have an extra although my score automatically doesn't count no matter what I shoot, this is because of my performance last round. Anyways the 7th guy played really bad (for the third time in a row) and I shot a 39 (+3) which tied for second on our team. We would've won by 3 if I was our 7th player and this would've been the win to get our spot in league finals. We have a couple more chances but today is pretty much our final chance against a beatable school. 

Good round it's a shame you weren't in the lineup.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Good news, the team had our best performance this year and we will be competing in League for the first time in our school's history. Everyone shot in the range of even par to 3 over with the exception of a JV player we brought up for this match.

If my school could even field a full varsity team, let alone a jv team.

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

• 1 month later...

Thank you RP, I somewhat forgot about this thread. I missed the last couple of matches due to school tests so I'm not sure how the team did in the section finals. They did beat one of our rivals by one shot, first time we've beat them in our history so that was good to hear.

As for the summer I'm just going to play golf recreationally then it's off to college in the fall. I'm going to keep my game up as best as I can but I don't plan on playing a lot of tournaments, maybe a couple when I get a little better.

Thanks for checking in and the best to you.

Archived