Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

SLDR - Jetspeed.....so quite good then?

westy

Argh help!

Swing felt good today on the monitor, hit a few shoves but in the main thought I was finding the middle time and time again.

So using a different monitor today, at a shop not a range and I'm sure that allows for some of the differences - but clearly it wasn't cranked up. The poor pro was left a broken man, we lofted up, we lofted down, we played with weights, shafts and had a group hug.

He'd rarely seen someone hit so many close to the middle line, but he'd never seen anyone with my clubhead speed spin the ball like I did today. Even tried extra stiff shafts, nope no difference.

I'm taking the yardages with a slight pinch of salt as I hit some of these pretty damn well, much better than my last session where the balls apparently went further. I used the same ball throughout (nxt tour) the same tee throughout.

So enjoy the picture below.....attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Key to the drivers used:

1. Callaway x hot pro 8.5

2. Nike covert 2.0 - 9.5

3. Nike covert 2.0 - 8.5

4. Nike covert 2.0 tour - 9.5

5. TM SLDR 9.5

6. TM jetspeed 9.5

7. Callaway alpha 9

8. Callaway big Bertha 9

9. X hot 2 - 9.5

10. X hot 2 pro - 8.5

11. Wilson FG tour - 9.5

All shafts were stiff for the shots in the graphic above.

Note clubhead speed super consistent start to finish.

Haven't shown it on this graphic, but in the main the computer was saying I was squaring the club nicely and the shot shape was v slight draw. Which shouldn't cause this spin - pro was confident it was set right as they've been doing loads of SLDR fittings.

Comedy moment came when we started thinking about de lofting a SLDR! Used impact tape on face and quite a lot were high, but frankly not roofs, they were still what Id normally be happy with - probably only two which were bordering on a spoon.

The x hot pro is a mates club so I'm going to stick that in the bag for a few weeks for now, then revisit this in a while. Frankly I'm sick of the sight of drivers right now!

I'm a little baffled by the numbers. I always thought based on a best humanly possible smash factor of 1.5, a 90 mph ss should result in 135 mph ball speed.  The high spin rates you are getting vs the ball speed also does not match.

Personally I suspect the launch monitors you have used were off by quite a fair bit.

I think it also takes a very extreme out / in + open face contact to get the kind of spin rates you have got with the moderate loft you are using - or at least extreme enough for the name eye to see that the swing is not quite right. So if the tester is also baffled, my suspect is the launch monitors were not set up correctly.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually got rid of my SLDR-S. I got fitted for the SLDR but figured that I would not play with loft because I was fitted at 14 so I bought a 14 degree SLDR-S. BIG MISTAKE!! I'm normally a straight to slight fade driver of the ball and this was just banana-slicing all the way to the right so I bit the bullet and bought an R1. Made a few adjustments (set to 11 degree with 2 degree open face) and I've never hit the ball further. Yesterday, I nearly drove 2 par 4's. I usually hit around 250 carry so much better for me. 

I used to play the Cobra S9-1. Really liked that driver but Taylormade has always seemed to be the right fit for me 

As for your launch numbers, I do not know much about fitting but the spin rates are crazy for drivers. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

That was undoubtedly my opinion as well come the end - proving that even when launch monitors aren't jacked up you still need to make sure they are working or your going to get some funny readings.

My SLDR is working well - apart from the huge annoyance of having chipped the paint near the hosel. Few wobbly misses but in the main it's been consistent but now ping release the g30..... With turbulators!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I finally got myself properly fitted for an SLDR at Adidas Taylor Made. Loft is 10.5, had to set to fade slightly to compensate for my tendency to close the club face too quickly. The head was matched to a Matrix Ozik Red 6Q3 shaft in S flex. Gotta admit this has been then best feeling combo I every swung in years.

That said, this has been the second time I really got properly fitted for my golf clubs, the first time was years ago with my ZB forged irons which I still use today.

I'm all excited about the new driver and can't wait for my order to be shipped to my hands.

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Today I finally got myself properly fitted for an SLDR at Adidas Taylor Made. Loft is 10.5, had to set to fade slightly to compensate for my tendency to close the club face too quickly. The head was matched to a Matrix Ozik Red 6Q3 shaft in S flex. Gotta admit this has been then best feeling combo I every swung in years.

That said, this has been the second time I really got properly fitted for my golf clubs, the first time was years ago with my ZB forged irons which I still use today.

I'm all excited about the new driver and can't wait for my order to be shipped to my hands.

Enjoy!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think the Jetspeed is a very good driver and it's very easy to hit. The "loft up" requirements needed to play the SLDR don't apply to the Jetspeed. You can try it in "normal" lofts, whereas you had better try the SLDR in high lofts or you won't get it off the deck. The Jetspeed can be bought brand new for under $100 and at that price how can you resist trying it?

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I think the Jetspeed is a very good driver and it's very easy to hit. The "loft up" requirements needed to play the SLDR don't apply to the Jetspeed. You can try it in "normal" lofts, whereas you had better try the SLDR in high lofts or you won't get it off the deck. The Jetspeed can be bought brand new for under $100 and at that price how can you resist trying it?

Jetspeed isn't a bad driver at all, I believe if properly fitted, its as good as any other drivers anytime.

The lesson I have learned during my SLDR fitting yesterday, regardless of club head, it's the shaft that would make a tremendous difference in performance. However the same shaft which worded so well for one club head might not work as well for another club head.

Back to SLDR heads, it is indeed a very low spinning head, and you have to disregard the stated loft on the club head and be really objective - look at the numbers you are getting.

About buying a Jetspeed for as little as a $100, my opinion now - after a really satisfying fitting session, is don't. A $100 spent on a driver that doesn't work for you is a $100 wasted. I know it's pricey, but the same $100 was what it costed to get myself fitted, although it is refunded upon my purchase of the driver which I gladly did.

So what did I get for that same $100? I got to know a lot about my swing - like with a SLDR I'm launching about 13 - 14 deg, with a 2100 - 2400 rpm spin. The very experienced club fitter shared with me from his years of experience and observations about my swing - giving me a lot of objective knowledge about my swing which I wouldn't had know up till now.

For that I'm think I got the most perfect driver for my swing I ever got in my golfing life. I think that's a $100 well spent.

Bottom line, go get fitted. You'll be glad you did.

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

That was undoubtedly my opinion as well come the end - proving that even when launch monitors aren't jacked up you still need to make sure they are working or your going to get some funny readings.

My SLDR is working well - apart from the huge annoyance of having chipped the paint near the hosel. Few wobbly misses but in the main it's been consistent but now ping release the g30..... With turbulators!

Don't worry about the turbulators. Maybe somebody will come up with a DIY project to add these to their SLDR  :D

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Archived