TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting suggestions

mnfats95

Next week I'm going to be getting fit for new irons and wedges. I'm partial to Ping irons so that is what I'm going to be looking at.

I've never been fit properly and have just used the webfit measurements in the past.

I currently play i10's and am planning on trying the i20's, i25's, and s55's.

I guess I'm mostly curious to see what different shaft options will do for me since I've always just played the stock iron shafts that Ping puts in their clubs.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips for me going into my first fitting?

I guess I'm mostly interested in things like "I would have done this if I had known ahead of the fitting" or "I wish I would have tried this or that".

Even anything from fitters out there that would help me save my fitter time like what to be ready for or questions I'm going to be asked. I really just want to make the most of the time and the money I'm spending on this.

Thanks in advance for any input.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

The most important thing is to go in with an open mind. I'd have myself a set of questions prepared ahead of time to ask your fitter. Write them down and take your notes with you. Ask him everything you want to know about the fitting. All the whys and how's and what's you have, ask him. Understanding why he wants to change this or that variable will help you understand the reasoning behind the changes to the equipment in the fitting. If you've got all your questions in your head and on paper, the fitting will make more sense for you. And any fitter worth his salt will be able to explain your questions in detail.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Yup, Rookie nailed it.  Make sure to go in with an open mind, knowledge about your game, and a clear understanding of what you want to get out of the fitting.  It sounds like you really like the Ping clubs, but don't let that bias keep you from trying other brands.  The bottom line is that you are looking for what fits your swing the best.  So be open to trying out anything and everything with an eye towards the best performance and your desired outcomes.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I like to think I have an open mind. I am not necessarily married to Ping irons.

I really like the finish on them and they suit my eye when I look down on them.

I have also had some exceptional customer service experiences with my previous sets I have purchased from them.

That being said, the fitter I am going to has the nFlight setup so I would assume they are predominantly Ping, but I guess I didn't really ask either.

I am on the fence about trying the G series, I have a few friends that play them, but I already hit the ball high and when I have tried their clubs everything looks like a wedge.

Playing out here where it's flat and 15mph+ winds are the norm, being able to keep the ball down when necessary is something I put a premium on.

From what I've read, and I've done a lot of it lately, they will use the software and whatnot to narrow down the selection to a few options and then that's where most of the time will be spent is trying those options?

The only other time I've hit on a launch monitor was at a PGA Superstore in Denver and I came away with my TM 3 wood which is at least 20 yards longer than the Cleveland I was playing before and just as accurate. While I came away from that with a much better club than I had before, I got the feeling that the person helping me was just throwing clubs at me with no real method to the madness.

That was all indoors though and the place I'm going to get fit has the ability to hit outdoors and not into a net so I can see the ball flight which I like.

I'm just excited and nervous not knowing exactly what to expect. I'll make a list of questions I have so I make sure I don't forget to ask everything.

Thanks again for the input.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I came into an iron fitting and came out with a brand that I thought I would not even try.  Keep an open mind, and you will come out with the right clubs.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

A fitter should not get a commission on the clubs you buy.  Remember, it's all about you, not them.  Keep an open mind and enjoy it!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Is this fitter a retail type of guy or a custom builder/fitter? Have you even considered non big retail brands? KZG, Wishon, Alpha, etc etc. are they even offered? Why not? Will he actually build your clubs or send some data to the mfg? How much time did your fitter tell you to set aside? Will your fitter measure your existing clubs and record your performance with them first? How much does your fitter charge? Will your fitter make you a proto-test club? How many fittings has he done? How many years? Is this fitter credentialed? What equipment will he use? Will there be more than the initial fitting? What's the guarantee? What's the price? Will your fitting be indoor or outdoor or both?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Is this fitter a retail type of guy or a custom builder/fitter?

I guess retail? It's this place so it's an instruction/fitting place, I don't know if I would consider that retail? http://donniemassengale.com/

Have you even considered non big retail brands?

I have heard of Wishon and KZG, I have not heard of Alpha, I have not considered them because I have been very happy with my Ping irons in the past so that is what I would like to start with the first time I get fitted properly.

KZG, Wishon, Alpha, etc etc. are they even offered? Why not?

No, I believe the place I'm going is Ping only.

Will he actually build your clubs or send some data to the mfg?

Send my stuff to Ping to have them built.

How much time did your fitter tell you to set aside?

A few hours.

Will your fitter measure your existing clubs and record your performance with them first?

Yes, they will do a comparison to existing equipment if needed.

How much does your fitter charge?

$150

Will your fitter make you a proto-test club?

I guess I don't know if you mean one to take with me or just one to try when I'm there? They have all of the Ping options available, heads, shafts, etc....

How many fittings has he done?

I have no idea, lots?

How many years?

According to the site, depending on which one of the guys fits you anywhere from 15 to 8 years instruction/fitting.

Is this fitter credentialed?

Ping certified fitters.

What equipment will he use? (this is from their website)

• 1,654 sq ft. facility situated on the grounds of Augusta Pines Golf Club
  • One of two PING nFlight Fitting Centers nationally (this appears to be three now)
  • 3 climate controlled fitting and teaching bays open to an outdoor range
  • State of the art Flight Scope Kudu launch monitors
  • Offers PING's Advanced Fitting System cart with interchangeable heads and shafts
  • 744 iron-fitting combinations, 300 driver- fitting combinations
  • Fixed, pre-built demo clubs available for fitting hybrids, fairway woods, drivers, irons, wedges, and putters

Will there be more than the initial fitting?

Since I live 13 hours away no.

What's the guarantee?

That they will get me the best set of Ping gear that fits my swing that day? I'm not sure what else you could guarantee?

What's the price?

$150

Will your fitting be indoor or outdoor or both?

I assume that you hit out of the bay's to their range.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Sounds OK I suppose. As long as you're buying some Pings. I'm not putting things down mind you but this place you describe sounds kind of like a hybrid retail/custom fitting. What I wonder about is you said "one of the guys" will fit you. So there is an array of employees doing this. There will be no proto-type built prior to pulling the trigger. And... they don't actually build your set. At your skill level why have you not looked into a true custom club fitter? 13 hours is a long drive for anyone. If I were you I think I'd do some additional research. You deserve the best and I'm not sure that's where you're heading. I hope I've been helpful. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

FYI: I found about 24 custom club fitters within 500 miles or less in and around Kansas. That's better than 13 hours. Ha! And no... I'm not selling Wishon. Just something to think about as an example.

http://wishongolf.com/find-a-clubfitter/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I would love to hear a full report on what a "Fitting Center" fit is like.  We have the nFlight software and Kudu monitor here at our store, as well as the complete compliment of Ping fitting irons and woods. Being able to compare what you got yo what we have would be invaluable!!!

Good Luck....

(FYI, i20 irons are no longer available to order directly from Ping...)

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Good luck - I've been fit a few times - you should insist on a discussion with your fitter before the fact in which he hears what your game is like, what you are trying to do, etc. 

I would let him know you want to hit the ball lower because of the wind and flat beyond a doubt.

BTW welcome aboard and can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

FYI:

I have been fit before. If you want to call it that. I call it a retail sales fitting. Never again. This time I'm going with a Pro. The guy I'm going with doesn't sell/fit any major brands. Strictly custom smaller shop clubs. He's been a fitter for about 30 years and has been nationally recognized as such. I reviewed and interviewed with several fitters and have chosen my guy. He has the most experience by far and has several top quality custom brands he deals in. I took the time to make an appointment back in late December to go meet the guy, introduce myself, and basically interview him. I also checked references, etc. I've spent time reviewing and learning about the clubs he builds. He is not a fancy showy guy. I like that. My process will involve initially the fitting which might last up to 4 hours. Plus or minus.  I'll take my current bag and we'll start from there. Before I go I'm recording 4-5 rounds of typical play. Clubs used, distances, fairways hit or not hit left and right, greens hit or not hit and where, putts and estimated distances, etc, etc. A majority of our work will be indoors but we'll also take it outside with some test clubs. During this initial fitting and should we decide on the clubs he'll build my set. I'll return in a week or two and we'll test and tweak as necessary. I'll also schedule a third session a month or two later whereby we'll review the clubs and how my game has fared. Adjustments if necessary.

The guy has all the latest equipment as far as launch monitors, and high speed video, etc. All the best shafts, grips, etc. He doesn't get into all the fancy paint fill and stamping that's out there these days. As for satisfaction.... if you don't like the clubs for any reason he will either make them right, change/exchange them for you or return your money. Period. There is probably something I'm forgetting but you get the idea. This type of fitting might not be for everyone. It's going to be time consuming. And... forget the crap you hear that "a fitting doesn't cost anymore than not getting fit." Complete BS. Ok, maybe a retail fitting with a launch monitor, lie board, and impact tape. I don't call that a fitting. That's a sales con is what it is.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I have sent the gentleman I have been talking to a list of current equipment, what my goals are, and asked some general questions. So far I am satisfied with the answers.

"What I wonder about is you said "one of the guys" will fit you. So there is an array of employees doing this."

When I asked who would actually be doing the fitting he told me it would be him or one of the two other fitters. I would assume it would be one of the three listed on the website since there are three instructor/fitters listed.

"There will be no proto-type built prior to pulling the trigger. And... they don't actually build your set. At your skill level why have you not looked into a true custom club fitter? 13 hours is a long drive for anyone. If I were you I think I'd do some additional research. You deserve the best and I'm not sure that's where you're heading. I hope I've been helpful. Best of luck with whatever you decide."

Not having extensive experience with this process I am not understanding what the prototype question is getting at? I am assuming that you are saying that I need to hit the clubs in question built to my specifications before purchasing/ordering them? If that is the case I would think having all the different combinations that Ping has the ability to build on hand would be sufficient for this? I realize that even the same specc'd clubs can be off slightly between builds, but besides the Hopkins wedges, are there other custom clubs you can order and return if you don't like them?

The 13 hours will be mitigated by the fact that I have family in Texas that I will be briefly visiting. This location was chosen mostly because of the Ping Nflight stuff that I read reviews on. They are the closest location with it that I could find.

"FYI: I found about 24 custom club fitters within 500 miles or less in and around Kansas. That's better than 13 hours. Ha! And no... I'm not selling Wishon. Just something to think about as an example.

http://wishongolf.co...d-a-clubfitter/"

It's funny you should bring this up. I tried to contact Golf MD in Kansas City multiple times by their website and email with no response. I finally called and was placed on hold for about 5 minutes before finally hanging up. This was towards the end of last golf season. I figured if they didn't have time to answer their email or get on the phone with me then they probably didn't have time to fit me.

Ross Golf in Wichita was an option when I first started looking, but after mentioning it to a few people around where I live I was informed by someone who really had no reason to lie that they had a bad experience there.

I didn't see the one in Atchison when I was looking so I don't know if they just recently signed up or I'm just blind.

I guess after having no luck with Golf MD, who I had heard good things about, and not having a ton of other options, I figured if I was going to go 3 or 4 hours to get this done why not make a trip out of it. I am also hoping that someone who would put the money into the Ping system would take the fitting process seriously.

You are right, I am not quite sure what to expect, hence my question here. If it ends up being less than fantastic I will consider it a lesson learned.

I do appreciate the input though, and I will definitely post my experience either way.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

FYI:

I have been fit before. If you want to call it that. I call it a retail sales fitting. Never again. This time I'm going with a Pro. The guy I'm going with doesn't sell/fit any major brands. Strictly custom smaller shop clubs. He's been a fitter for about 30 years and has been nationally recognized as such. I reviewed and interviewed with several fitters and have chosen my guy. He has the most experience by far and has several top quality custom brands he deals in. I took the time to make an appointment back in late December to go meet the guy, introduce myself, and basically interview him. I also checked references, etc. I've spent time reviewing and learning about the clubs he builds. He is not a fancy showy guy. I like that. My process will involve initially the fitting which might last up to 4 hours. Plus or minus.  I'll take my current bag and we'll start from there. Before I go I'm recording 4-5 rounds of typical play. Clubs used, distances, fairways hit or not hit left and right, greens hit or not hit and where, putts and estimated distances, etc, etc. A majority of our work will be indoors but we'll also take it outside with some test clubs. During this initial fitting and should we decide on the clubs he'll build my set. I'll return in a week or two and we'll test and tweak as necessary. I'll also schedule a third session a month or two later whereby we'll review the clubs and how my game has fared. Adjustments if necessary.

The guy has all the latest equipment as far as launch monitors, and high speed video, etc. All the best shafts, grips, etc. He doesn't get into all the fancy paint fill and stamping that's out there these days. As for satisfaction.... if you don't like the clubs for any reason he will either make them right, change/exchange them for you or return your money. Period. There is probably something I'm forgetting but you get the idea. This type of fitting might not be for everyone. It's going to be time consuming. And... forget the crap you hear that "a fitting doesn't cost anymore than not getting fit." Complete BS. Ok, maybe a retail fitting with a launch monitor, lie board, and impact tape. I don't call that a fitting. That's a sales con is what it is.

Ha, I just saw the quote option on here.

That sounds like a fantastic plan. I wish I could do the same.

I am assuming that you live somewhat in the vicinity of this person? I unfortunately have no one around me for 3 hours with a decent launch monitor. Our local golf shop is nice enough, but I don't know that they can offer that great of a fitting other than "that looks better".

So multiple visits are a challenge for me. Doable, yes, but when I figure in the cost of gas to get there and back, time off work since this is all done during business hours, and cost of the fitter's time it adds up to be several thousands of dollars when it's all said and done.

Perhaps in another ten years when the kids are gone and things slow down a bit I will be able to do something like this. Thinking about it gets me all pumped up.

But for now unfortunately I don't know that I could do it unless I moved closer to someone with those skills.

As for actual time spent getting the fitting done, if I have to go hit golf balls a bunch then oh darn!

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I would love to hear a full report on what a "Fitting Center" fit is like.  We have the nFlight software and Kudu monitor here at our store, as well as the complete compliment of Ping fitting irons and woods. Being able to compare what you got yo what we have would be invaluable!!!

Good Luck....

(FYI, i20 irons are no longer available to order directly from Ping...)

Do you like the Ping fitting software? I have read reviews about it and of course it's the internet, but most of them I read seemed to enjoy the process? I supposed it has more to do with the person doing the fitting vs the software, but all I have any experience with is the local places's setup which is really more of a game than a launch monitor and the PGA Superstore's setup in Denver where I bought my 3 wood.

Bummer about the i20's, I was thinking if they worked as well as the 25's I might be able to save myself some cash.

I'm really more interested in different shaft options more than anything. I am secretly hoping I will find a shaft that is magical, but I'm probably getting my hopes up to high. I've never played anything other than the stock shafts that come in the clubs I've owned. There has to be a reason why there are 500 choices right? There has to be the one out there for me somewhere!

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I do wish you luck. And I bet you get a fantastic set and fit. I mean it. I'll concede ... I can be a little over bearing and harsh sometimes. Like it's either my way or the highway. I don't mean it that way though. I'm sure the case can easily be made that I'm going way overboard and probably spending more time and money than necessary. Yeah... probably. Hey... as long as we both get a great fitting and playing set of clubs WGARA. right? LOL

I do wish you luck. And I bet you get a fantastic set and fit. I mean it. I'll concede ... I can be a little over bearing and harsh sometimes. Like it's either my way or the highway. I don't mean it that way though. I'm sure the case can easily be made that I'm going way overboard and probably spending more time and money than necessary. Yeah... probably. Hey... as long as we both get a great fitting and playing set of clubs WGARA. right? LOL

Actually, I quite like the passion. It shows that you really have the best interests for others in mind. If I had the time and means to do what you are doing I probably would have done it already. There are pluses and minuses to living in the sticks, this is a minus.

I will let everyone know how it goes.

Again, thanks for all of the input.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Bought a set of s55's at golfsmith for Christmas and LOVE them. Good luck and enjoy!

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

Do you like the Ping fitting software? I have read reviews about it and of course it's the internet, but most of them I read seemed to enjoy the process? I supposed it has more to do with the person doing the fitting vs the software, but all I have any experience with is the local places's setup which is really more of a game than a launch monitor and the PGA Superstore's setup in Denver where I bought my 3 wood.

Bummer about the i20's, I was thinking if they worked as well as the 25's I might be able to save myself some cash.

I'm really more interested in different shaft options more than anything. I am secretly hoping I will find a shaft that is magical, but I'm probably getting my hopes up to high. I've never played anything other than the stock shafts that come in the clubs I've owned. There has to be a reason why there are 500 choices right? There has to be the one out there for me somewhere!

One of the best things about the nFlight software is the shaft recomendation feature.  It is a pretty cool feature that will compare shafts using all types of variables.. Weight, kick, vertical launch.ect... I use it ALOT!! If you find a shaft that you like, the software shouls have several recomendations that are quite close in performance, but might have very different feel.  I sometimes feel like the software "inflates" yardages a little with woods, so take that into consideration.  We fit outside, so I am able to judge ball flight as well as rely on hard data. 

Good Luck!!

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Mmmmmmbuddy do you ever use the Mizuno shaft optimizer software and if so what is your opinion of it?

I had a bad experience although I think much could be attributed to the fitter.  I'm just curious what someone who does this for a living thinks of it.

Thanks

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Mmmmmmbuddy do you ever use the Mizuno shaft optimizer software and if so what is your opinion of it?

I had a bad experience although I think much could be attributed to the fitter.  I'm just curious what someone who does this for a living thinks of it.

Thanks

We do use the shaft optimizer.  I find it to be a good tool to get a range of shafts to pick from, but as always, I never put someone into a club/shaft option that they did not hit.  The really amazing thing is how different the recommended shafts sometimes play for certain individuals. For example, I had a customer that the Shaft Optimizer software recommended Dynamic Gold s300, Project X 5.5 and KBS C-Taper in Stiff.  We all know that these are quite different feeling shafts, and produce very different flights.  I put all 3 shafts into the same heads, and let my guy hit them. The results spoke for them selves.   Any "fitter" who reads a printout and says that you need "XYZ" because the computer says so, is wrong.. IMO.  Take the recommended options, try them, and see what works.  

Thanks - that was the other thing to - we hit the shaft/head combos that were recommended and honestly I had three different Mizunos that finished about the same - the JPX pros, JPXs (because of the distance) and the MP 4 combo thingy that was just coming out.  I never tried the 53's - I should have but had a brain fart and asked the try the 64's instead - I hit them okay but of course they weren't as long as the other clubs that I was trying - duh - not apples to apples.  I honestly think I should have been in the 53's or the 59's and my fitter should have recognized it.  But he never asked me about my game and all you're going to get out of me on an indoor launch monitor is consistency.  I'm not going to hit it very far, testing a 6 iron you're going to get tons of shots between 158 and 162.  That's whay he got.  Had he asked about my game he would have said, "Don't you mean the MP 53's" and my story might have had a happier ending - the 53's with either KBS 95's or stock Mizuno graphites would have done nicely for me.

Sorry for the thread jack - I wish I could find a fitter around here but I think I have myself where I need to be with equipment by having been fit by good guys in the past and by paying attention on this site. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Is this fitter a retail type of guy or a custom builder/fitter?

I guess retail? It's this place so it's an instruction/fitting place, I don't know if I would consider that retail? http://donniemassengale.com/

Have you even considered non big retail brands?

I have heard of Wishon and KZG, I have not heard of Alpha, I have not considered them because I have been very happy with my Ping irons in the past so that is what I would like to start with the first time I get fitted properly.

KZG, Wishon, Alpha, etc etc. are they even offered? Why not?

No, I believe the place I'm going is Ping only.

Will he actually build your clubs or send some data to the mfg?

Send my stuff to Ping to have them built.

How much time did your fitter tell you to set aside?

A few hours.

Will your fitter measure your existing clubs and record your performance with them first?

Yes, they will do a comparison to existing equipment if needed.

How much does your fitter charge?

$150

Will your fitter make you a proto-test club?

I guess I don't know if you mean one to take with me or just one to try when I'm there? They have all of the Ping options available, heads, shafts, etc....

How many fittings has he done?

I have no idea, lots?

How many years?

According to the site, depending on which one of the guys fits you anywhere from 15 to 8 years instruction/fitting.

Is this fitter credentialed?

Ping certified fitters.

What equipment will he use? (this is from their website)

• 1,654 sq ft. facility situated on the grounds of Augusta Pines Golf Club
  • One of two PING nFlight Fitting Centers nationally (this appears to be three now)
  • 3 climate controlled fitting and teaching bays open to an outdoor range
  • State of the art Flight Scope Kudu launch monitors
  • Offers PING's Advanced Fitting System cart with interchangeable heads and shafts
  • 744 iron-fitting combinations, 300 driver- fitting combinations
  • Fixed, pre-built demo clubs available for fitting hybrids, fairway woods, drivers, irons, wedges, and putters

Will there be more than the initial fitting?

Since I live 13 hours away no.

What's the guarantee?

That they will get me the best set of Ping gear that fits my swing that day? I'm not sure what else you could guarantee?

What's the price?

$150

Will your fitting be indoor or outdoor or both?

I assume that you hit out of the bay's to their range.

Don is an excellent fitter.

As for Alpha, they're a quality component brand and it looks like he's a Mitchell Partner Membership holder as Alpha is a line they help distribute. Quality components.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Did the fitting today and just wanted to give an update.

I can't believe I haven't done this sooner.

Conditions were perfect. 71 degrees and no wind. A bit humid for my tastes, but it is Houston, so what are you gonna do.

So I was able to hit my clubs and being the first time I had hit my i10's on a quality launch monitor it was eye opening.

My spin numbers were very high on my irons which I had no idea was the case. My 7 iron was around 8600 give or take a hundred for my 10 or 15 shots with it. I hit other irons and the spin numbers were high there as well, but I didn't write those down.

I play in a lot of wind and was told this could be a major reason why my ball balloons so bad in the wind instead of penetrating.

I was also actually under the recommended launch angle on all my irons by a couple of degrees and way high on spin.

So, I started hitting the i25's and hit a KBS shaft, Project X, Another shiny aluminum looking KBS shaft, one I had never heard of before as well as the Dynamic Gold S300.

The project X and DG S300 brought my spin number down around 7k with the DG being the least of the two more consistently.

I tried that in a couple of clubs and it felt very good. The launch angle was also up into the recommended range according to the charts. My distance only increased by a few yards, but then again I'm not really looking for a huge increase there. Hopefully the decreased spin will show it's benefits into the wind.

I had a slight fade with them, we did the tape thing and found that I needed to be even more upright than I already am.

The Driver

I hit my G20 and was maxing out around 250 total distance with about 220 carry.

My spin was high here too. I was in the 3k range on spin.

I hit the G25 and the i25 drivers. Long story short, I ended up with the i25 with the Aldila tour blue 65 stiff flex shaft tipped 3/4 inch.

My average with that final config of 15 shots was 268 longest with average of 259 and average of 243.

So I did see a pretty big improvement here. Spin was down below 2600 pretty consistently.

So, I am very happy with the results. I will backup what everyone says, go get fit.

I'm never NOT going to do it again : ).

Now I get to wait for 2 weeks until the clubs get here.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Glad things turned out well. I completely agree and have told my golf buddies, but none of them get professionally fit. They buy stuff that is on sale... Saying they don't have money to pay for a fitter. Makes no sense to me, but at least I tried.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

The most amazing thing to me was the ball flight of different setups. I don't consider myself a great ball striker, so it was fascinating to me that I could actually see a difference in ball flight between shaft/head combos on both the driver and irons that was repeatable over the course of 10 to 15 shots. 

The other surprising thing on the irons to me was how much the numbers could change between different setups. The fact that one shaft can produce so much more spin or height is very impressive.

I honestly am looking back at my 22 years of playing regularly and wondering how much better I could be at this point at the game of golf had I done this sooner. It would also explain why I have had some clubs over the years that just wouldn't work for me no matter how bad I wanted them to.

To the people who say that they don't have enough money to go get fit, I would think even the free fitting at a major box store would be better than just buying cold.

After this time (and money) spent I'm not sure you aren't just gambling when you buy a new club without hitting it against other clubs first.

You may get a winner by the luck of the draw every once in awhile, but if you don't aren't you just wasting that money? I guess I would rather pay that extra money and be sure I'm getting the closest fit for me I can.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

• 3 weeks later...

I got my clubs today after the longest wait for golf clubs I've ever had to endure. I knew they were arriving so I took advantage of one of the better days we had this year early in the season and took the afternoon off.

Shot a 76 on freshly plugged/sanded greens. Not too bad for me considering every putt could shoot off to the side at the whim of the sand and holes on the greens.

Things I've noticed after just one round on my normal course.

1. New driver is definitely carrying the ball farther than my old one. Not only is it carrying 10 to 15 yards farther (approx) than before, this is enough on several holes to land my ball on top of the hill instead of into it which is translating into 10 to 20 yards of roll which I was not getting any of before. Early season firm conditions may be helping this as well, time will tell when the fairways soften up how much this ends up gaining me. I could get used to hitting PW's and 9 irons into greens vs 7 and 8 irons.

2. Lower spin on the driver is amazing into the wind. We had a 10 to 15 mph south wind today, hitting into it no longer produced the low start high finish ball flight I am used to. The ball started higher than normal off of the face and seemed to just hang in the air vs rising through the shot. It's hard to say exactly how much distance this will end up gaining me into the wind overall, but I will say that with today's 10 to 15 mph wind I was hitting second shots from where my old driver would normally be with no wind so that is a huge plus to me seeing how I play over 50% of my golf in 10 mph or more winds.

3. Irons feel odd to me. I don't know how to explain it. I've played my old irons for almost 7 years and these new ones feel very different. I suppose I will get used to them, but for now it doesn't feel like home. I am not really saying that this is a negative, I'm just finding it odd how much I'm noticing it. I've never really paid attention to the "feel" of an iron, but it's really a eye opener in this case.

4. I think I've gained 1/2 to a full club with the irons. I will only know for sure after playing a few more rounds with them, but I purposely hit one less club today than I would with my old irons since the nFlight software was showing about a 5 to 10 yard increase on most shots when I was getting fit. I had a few that ended up short of the target, but all of the short shots were not clean strikes.

5. Lower spin on the irons has improved my into the wind shots on the irons the same way that it has on the driver. The one thing on the irons I really noticed was the lack of lateral movement on my shots into a crosswind. Normally my old irons would move with the wind direction after reaching the apex of their flight. While I can't say that these irons have eliminated this completely, I hit several shots into the wind playing for the wind to move the ball 10 yards or so and ended up about that far to the side of the target with of course allowing for the fact that I can't just hit the target every time.

6. I wish I would have done this years ago. I'm really kicking myself for not doing my hybrids and fairway wood when I was there. I like those three clubs today so I didn't really consider getting fit for them since I didn't want to replace them. I should have done it anyway so I would know what I needed to go to when I was ready. Still can't really believe the difference between shafts.

I will do another updated in a few weeks once the greens come back around and I can evaluate spin changes on approach shots and see if the changes I'm noticing right off the bat stay with me.

Perhaps I'm club drunk and am inventing these findings, but I am just shocked I played so well the first time out with them.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

nice report.  Glad to hear that it has worked out so far.  

• 4 weeks later...

Final update.

OK. I've had the clubs for almost a month and I've played 11 18 hole rounds and a few partial 9 hole rounds and been to the range 3 times in between.

1. I am used to the feel of the irons now. While it no longer bothers me, I will say that my older i10's were "softer" feeling than the new i25's. I am not going to count this as a negative because now that I'm used to the feeling when I hit them I don't even notice it.

2. I have played 4 of those rounds in less than 10mph winds and have picked up a solid club in distance. I used to hit my 7 iron 150 to 155 and I can now hit it 160 to 165 with no issue. The course I play most of the time has 6 par 3's and this has been a huge deal for those holes. Being able to drop down a club has really helped me hit more par 3 greens.

3. My ball flight hasn't changed a ton, I still hit it high, but the ball just goes so much better. It doesn't balloon into the wind like it used to and as far as approach shots are concerned the spin seems to be about the same to maybe a little less bit than before. This would make sense with the reduced spin.

4. The new driver has finally come around. I spent the most time with it on the range trying to figure it out. The first two rounds I played with it I was hitting it noticeably farther than my G20 that it replaced, but after that I "lost it" and was struggling with it. After two range sessions and a lot more hits I've played the last two weekends with it and am able to confidently line up and make a good swing with it. I have hit 4 or 5 absolute bombs with it and man that's a good feeling. I would say on average I'm 15 yards farther than my old drive on carry. As mentioned before, this can be huge on the course I play as it lands on the tops of hills vs into them and I'm getting 20 yards of role compared to 5 to 0 in the past.

5. I hate bragging, but damn, the last two weekends I've hit drives with no wind help that I measured with my Sky Caddie of 299, 288, 285, 272, 271 when I used to top out around 260 with a drive hit on the screws. The 299 and 288 were both I can't hit it any better drives and got huge forward bounces, but the ball was 30 yards past where my best drives would end up before. Some of this is extra roll, but the carry distance is helping with that a ton. Into the wind it's no contest, this driver cuts through it so much better than what I've had in the past.

6. So, what does all of this mean? I am a 6.5 handicap according to GHIN as of this writing. My scores will range from low 70's to low 80's with my average being 77.2 according to my app I keep all of my scores in. Even par is 71 on my course and prior to these clubs I had shot it twice within the past two seasons. Both times were 16 pars, one bogey, and one birdie. I don't make a lot of birdies and consider it a great round if I have more than 2 in 18 holes. Since the club changes I have shot the following scores. 76, 74, 80, 75, 76, 80, 81, 79, 77, 73, 71. The three 80's were all horrible putting days and the 79 I had developed a mental thing with my lob wedge that I didn't get worked out until hole 15. My birdie percentage in 2012 was 8.5%, 2013 was 6.8%, and this year it is 12%!!!

I shot the 71 today and came to 18 at 2 under par. There I am on the 18th tee, which was playing at 190 yards today. I cannot stop thinking about reaching my pledged goal of shooting in the 60's this year and the fact that I've never shot under par for 18 holes ever. I decide to hit the 4 hybrid instead of the 5 iron because the pin is in the back of the green and there is less trouble long than there is short. I hit the shot and it feels good but I realize I've pushed it and it's not going to draw back. I hit the back right fringe and kick straight right into a small pine tree about 5 yards right of the back of the fringe. It's actually the only tree on that side of the hole and there sits my ball right under it. Long story short, 4 strokes later I have doubled the hole and shot even par for the third time.

I had 5 birdies today. I can't remember when I've had that many birdies in an 18 hole round. Why did I have so many birdies? I had tons of putts for birdie in the 10 to 20 ft range including two that were within 3 feet. I have had 5 eagle putts on par 5's the past two weekends and made one of them. Tap in birdies on the other 4. That is a whole year of eagle putts for me normally. Hitting shorter irons due to longer drives and going down a club with the approach shots is making a huge difference in my scoring.

If you are still reading then share in my elation about this process! I have played the best golf of my life over the past two seasons and it looks like it's going to be getting even better because of the equipment I just got fit to my swing. If you are on the fence about getting fit then please go do it. As I get used to these clubs I am playing golf like I've never experienced. I am hitting the ball so consistently with these irons it's just making me oooze with confidence when I stand over the ball. With the driver now falling in line it's all coming together. I've always had a decent putter/chip game, but the chipping might start to fall behind because I am hitting more greens than ever before.

Sorry that this is so long, but man, I can't put into words how happy I am that I did all of this. If your excuse is that it's too expensive to do all of it then please put 50 bucks a month away and go do it next season. It may not make you a pro, but it will definitely help you play better golf.

I will do a review of the i25 irons and i25 driver in the equipment section.

Ping G700 5 - GW

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Archived