Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Fitting Apprehension

Brand new to the forum.

Here is my story.  I went and got fitted for the first time by a pro.  It was an indoor fitting with all the bells and whistles.  Ultimately I got fitted for TaylorMade Speedblades.  My fitting turned up -5 in shaft length with 2 degrees up in the lie, no other adjustments.  Everything I have been reading is that when you subract club length you need to go flat versus upright.  Is there any way possible that my situation is just unique and I really need 2 degrees up?  He also fitted me for True Temper Dynamic Gold R300 shafts.  Hopefully my explanation isn't to general in nature, if so I will supply more details.   

You shouldn't hesitate to ask your fitter this question though. He can explain to you why he chose this for you.

Ditto that -- ask any and all questions of the fitter.  It's his job and it's your money...

Good luck!  I've been hitting the SpeedBlade 6 iron they were giving out - it's an easy club to like!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Aggreed with asking the fitter. Who ever is feeding you the lie angle thumb is taking you down the wrong path.

Think of it this way, As the length of the club shortens the lie angle goes up. So, if you really hit the .5 inch shorter club better and every thing else is equal then at least a .5 degree upright adjustment is needed.

From only the info above I would GUESS that either you have a more upright swing plane than the average golfer or the fitter is trying to help with a slice.

There so many variables that a fitter can look at for making a decision on the equipment choosen for you that the person to ask is the fitter first.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I left out that he explained very directly because the club is shorting that length, that is the reason for the lie angle he recommended.  When I recieve the clubs I may have to follow up with him.  I'm thinking hit them first to see how they play.  He didn't give any other reason for the lie angle being that way.  No mention of my swing or anything.  The only we discussed/analyzed was my high ball flight.  The lie as I understand it is a directional issue not a flight path issue.  My biggest beef is, I want this to be right.  I spent a lot of $ on the irons and $50 for the fitting.  You guys are 100% right, I paid for the fitting and it should be right.  

Did you get the clubs that day?  If not then I would ask for a loft and lie check when you pick them up.  Manufacturer tolerances can be all over the place and it's always best to test lie angles when you get the clubs.  Also make sure to test every club,  not just a 6i and bend everything off that.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Brand new to the forum.

Here is my story.  I went and got fitted for the first time by a pro.  It was an indoor fitting with all the bells and whistles.  Ultimately I got fitted for TaylorMade Speedblades.  My fitting turned up -5 in shaft length with 2 degrees up in the lie, no other adjustments.  Everything I have been reading is that when you subract club length you need to go flat versus upright.  Is there any way possible that my situation is just unique and I really need 2 degrees up?  He also fitted me for True Temper Dynamic Gold R300 shafts.  Hopefully my explanation isn't to general in nature, if so I will supply more details.   

Not an uncommon fit for me to see at all.  I would most certainly take them to an outdoor range and hit a few once you get them in to check the ball flight. If the flight is going where you want.... then the fitter did his job..  no worries.  if not, call him and I'd bet that you two can get something worked out...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived