Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

That's in the _____ing hole!

RoverRick

This picture was taken last year and the water now comes up to the lower part of the board wall surrounding the green.

The 9th hole, Island green, 130 yards to the center 110 to carry front edge.145 back end of the island.  The flag was in the center rear and was 141 yards from the tee box.

The temperature was 67 degrees and the wind was 27 mph from the 10 o'clock position.

I was the fifth of five players to hit at hole.  All of them had hit high shots that got caught up by the wind and taken to or over the right edge of the green. We were playing wolf and the wolf's ball stayed and he of course chose the next one on the green.  The two other guys, my partners, were in the water.

9 resized.jpg

I opted for the low approach.  A waist high 5 iron that landed about 10 feet on the green and ran back to the hole.  You can not see the undulation in the green in this picture but it is there.  I picked my spot and lined up.  I was very careful with my set up because when the wind is howling on that green it is easy to get caught up in it and overswing and lose the ball in the wind.

I calmly hit the ball, with very quiet hands as to not add more spin and the ball never got more than 10 feet high, it landed on the front and ran to the back.  And disappeared.  Just disappeared.

I looked over and the other guys were starring at it.  One guy just stood there with his moth open, and three guys were yelling and screaming and jumping up and down when the guy I was looking at finally moved.  He turned to me with wide eyes and said "That in the effing hole.  I have never seen one.  OMG! OMG!...."  more yelling and jumping ensued, and I was high fived but, honestly, I was stunned and even a bit overwhelmed. 

I was so happy with those results, when I found myself on 16 about 80 yards to carry the water in front of the green and 100 to the back edge, with the flag on the back right, near another drop off to the water that goes along the right side of the hole.  I tried a similar shot.

16resized.jpg

I hit a runner up the left side of the green and let it run all the way to the back and caught the slope and rolled over and into the hole for an eagle.  This same guy watched that shot and came over and asked if I intended to hit that shot. I said, "I do not normally use an 8 iron for a 90 yard shot."  But that is only partially true, NOW.

I actually hit for the cycle yesterday.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6,

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Congrats on the ACE!!! Practicing your 1/2 swing at the Texas Open paid off :-))))

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Congrats on the ACE!!! Practicing your 1/2 swing at the Texas Open paid off :-))))

No kidding about that.  I still do not have my full swing back, but here on greens that I am familiar with, I shot a 75 yesterday and a 74 today.  My putter and partial shots are red hot.  I also consider any club a short game club.  I will hit a 180 yard bump and run with a 3 wood.  Actually, I hit a 200 yard bump and run yesterday out of the woods.  Well, the goal was 200 it only went about 185, but still was great shape considering where I started.

congrats, great hole outs!

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Congrats Rover "Ace" Rick! Two eagles in one round is ballin' bro! 

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

Congratulations Rick!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Awesome Rick!!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Holy smokes...that is just awesome. Congrats!

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Congrats Rick you are getting to be a dangerous hombre there my friend. Seems like you got your bump and run skills on level with your putting skills. You can now give me 4 up------ per side :)

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Congrats Rick you are getting to be a dangerous hombre there my friend. Seems like you got your bump and run skills on level with your putting skills. You can now give me 4 up------ per side :)

Well, I played yesterday, and no heroics.  I did shoot a 74 but 2 birdies and 4 bogies.  Not very exciting but did not miss a putt under 25 feet.  Only had 22 putts I think.  I did play 9 more holes and shot a 33.  No bogies a birdie and an eagle.  3 wood from 233 and a 25' putt.  That was pretty heroic.

I have not forgotten last weekend where the greens there humbled me.

Too much wind today.  30+ mph with gusts over 40 is just no fun.  I am watching golf instead.

Wow dude! Cool! Maybe I'll get one someday.

I didn't get my first one until two summers ago. I didn't even see the shot, the sky was that perfect color where the ball just gets lost in the sky. My regular playing companion made the basic nice shot remark after I hit it, then he started telling it to go in, and it did. I took the ball home and wrote the date, hole, etc.. on the ball.

Last summer I got to the last hole of the day and knocked a low five iron into the wind and it just happened to bounce just right on the front of green and run up and into the hole. So after 22 years of no aces I now have two.

Even crazier, I went home with my second ball and wrote the date on the ball and placed it next to my first one. I couldn't believe it, the dates were the same one year apart. I had unknowingly gotten my second ace on the same date one year later.

Now there is a ton of pressure to live up to on that date this year.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I didn't get my first one until two summers ago. I didn't even see the shot, the sky was that perfect color where the ball just gets lost in the sky. My regular playing companion made the basic nice shot remark after I hit it, then he started telling it to go in, and it did. I took the ball home and wrote the date, hole, etc.. on the ball.

Last summer I got to the last hole of the day and knocked a low five iron into the wind and it just happened to bounce just right on the front of green and run up and into the hole. So after 22 years of no aces I now have two.

Even crazier, I went home with my second ball and wrote the date on the ball and placed it next to my first one. I couldn't believe it, the dates were the same one year apart. I had unknowingly gotten my second ace on the same date one year later.

Now there is a ton of pressure to live up to on that date this year.

I know what I would be doing on that day this year.  Playing a par 3 course, 36 holes or more.  Haha

I always knew you were an ace - now you have one to prove it!  Congrats!!!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So cool and impressive. Congrats.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

This picture was taken last year and the water now comes up to the lower part of the board wall surrounding the green.

The 9th hole, Island green, 130 yards to the center 110 to carry front edge.145 back end of the island.  The flag was in the center rear and was 141 yards from the tee box.

The temperature was 67 degrees and the wind was 27 mph from the 10 o'clock position.

I was the fifth of five players to hit at hole.  All of them had hit high shots that got caught up by the wind and taken to or over the right edge of the green. We were playing wolf and the wolf's ball stayed and he of course chose the next one on the green.  The two other guys, my partners, were in the water.

attachicon.gif9 resized.jpg

I opted for the low approach.  A waist high 5 iron that landed about 10 feet on the green and ran back to the hole.  You can not see the undulation in the green in this picture but it is there.  I picked my spot and lined up.  I was very careful with my set up because when the wind is howling on that green it is easy to get caught up in it and overswing and lose the ball in the wind.

I calmly hit the ball, with very quiet hands as to not add more spin and the ball never got more than 10 feet high, it landed on the front and ran to the back.  And disappeared.  Just disappeared.

I looked over and the other guys were starring at it.  One guy just stood there with his moth open, and three guys were yelling and screaming and jumping up and down when the guy I was looking at finally moved.  He turned to me with wide eyes and said "That in the effing hole.  I have never seen one.  OMG! OMG!...."  more yelling and jumping ensued, and I was high fived but, honestly, I was stunned and even a bit overwhelmed. 

I was so happy with those results, when I found myself on 16 about 80 yards to carry the water in front of the green and 100 to the back edge, with the flag on the back right, near another drop off to the water that goes along the right side of the hole.  I tried a similar shot.

attachicon.gif16resized.jpg

I hit a runner up the left side of the green and let it run all the way to the back and caught the slope and rolled over and into the hole for an eagle.  This same guy watched that shot and came over and asked if I intended to hit that shot. I said, "I do not normally use an 8 iron for a 90 yard shot."  But that is only partially true, NOW.

I actually hit for the cycle yesterday.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6,

Wow!!! what kind of "ace-hole" gets on here bragging about his hole in one??!!!......Just kidding!! Congratulations on the achievement....hope you have many more to come & hope to join that club one day myself!!

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

Wow, that is awesome. Congrats. I however have to ask did you at least stop for some Powerball tickets on the way home? Sounds like those may be in order after such a stellar showing on the course.

Taylormade R5 Dual TP 9.5* Aldila Voodoo SVS7

Taylormade V Steel 15* Accra M4 Dymatch 

Titleist 909H 17* Aldila Voodoo

Taylormade V Steel 18* S300

Wilson DXI 25* Aldila Voodoo SVS8

Taylormade 2003 Rac CB 5-PW S300

Cleveland Tour Issue 588 54* Tour Zip Grooves PX 6.5 Flighted

Fourteen MT 28 V5 TS 62* DG 

C&L 355g Beached 34"

Well, I played yesterday, and no heroics.  I did shoot a 74 but 2 birdies and 4 bogies.  Not very exciting but did not miss a putt under 25 feet.  Only had 22 putts I think.  I did play 9 more holes and shot a 33.  No bogies a birdie and an eagle.  3 wood from 233 and a 25' putt.  That was pretty heroic.

I have not forgotten last weekend where the greens there humbled me.

Too much wind today.  30+ mph with gusts over 40 is just no fun.  I am watching golf instead.

Oh yeah I know how the wind blows in the Lone Star State I have played down there before. Last Thursday I played in similar conditions here. I don't know sometimes I like it because it does build character

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Wow

I putted at an eagle yesterday, but missed.

I also have a grand total of 0

My buddy has 6...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Way to go Rick! 2 hole outs in one day is pretty amazing. Well done.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Archived