Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TaylorMade Performance Lab - Maple Grove, Minnesota

SPY ZINGER

TaylorMade Performance Lab at Rush Creek

Maple Grove, Minnesota

image 6.jpeg

Last month, I visited the TaylorMade Performance Lab (TMPL) at the Rush Creek Golf Club in Maple Grove, Minnesota, just outside Minneapolis. The TMPL at Rush Creek is a fairly new addition to their Golf Academy. Rush Creek is one of the top daily fee courses in the area and provides that “private club for a day” experience. The addition of the TMPL completes the trifecta in the ultimate golf experience: Fantastic golf, exceptional instruction, one of the best fitting centers in the state. For a guy like me, it provides a multitude selfie backdrops.

image 4.jpeg

The TMPL at Rush Creek is staffed with an army of one. James Tracy serves in that position as the TMPL Master Fitter. Tracy is employed by TaylorMade Adidas Golf. That's important because his sole focus is on the lab and it's visitors. He doesn't have to field complaints from members, he's not stocking the pro shop, and does not worry about a dead cart battery on the 10th fairway. He's got a Ph. D. in TaylorMade and his only focus is fitting you into their equipment. As Golfspy Ben would say, “That's fresh.”

image.jpeg

My purpose in visiting the TMPL was focused. I wanted to purchase the SLDR ever since hitting one at Olympia Fields last September. Since I have been playing this game, I have not seen a driver launch that stressed the need to be professionally fit, more than the SLDR. It's a technical head in its design with a low and forward center of gravity. As a result of this CG positioning, the marketing machine in Carlsbad launched a “Loft-Up” campaign. To compensate for the low and forward CG position, TaylorMade believes you'll need to play a driver with more loft than you're used to for ideal launch with maximum distance. Unless you've been living under a divot, this isn't news to you.

image 5.jpeg

To demonstrate this, TaylorMade invited several MyGolfSpy members to Carlsbad for a fitting at The Kingdom this January. The guys that made the trip reported their findings to readers. One after another, the message was clear, the SLDR was everything TaylorMade said it was. Long. The difference, this wasn't TaylorMade talking, it was members of a site that look to dismantle media speak & propaganda. As I read about their experience, it seemed as though there wasn't much to dismantle. The SLDR appeared to be perhaps the pinnacle of driver evolution to date.

If the Loft-Up event wasn't enough evidence of something different in driver technology, the SLDR came out on top of the MyGolfSpy's Most Wanted Driver of 2014. A site, and it's members, free of sponsorship influence, were compelling. I had to have this driver even if it were half as good as the testing revealed. So I contacted Tracy and said, “I want a SLDR, and need to get fit.”

image 2.jpeg

Critics will balk at the idea of a fitting center that only fits for one manufacturer. An assumed bias when you walk in the front door. Having been previously fit at the TMPL at Olympia Fields, I believe the opposite to be true. You're getting a focused, in-depth fitting by an expert that lives and breathes the brand. Of course there is bias. It's a “TaylorMade” facility. However, I would argue that if you're looking to get fit for their equipment, there is not a better place to go for this purpose. Two factors contribute to this conclusion: 1.) The fitter 2.) The technology.

I committed the cardinal sin of fitting experiences. I walked into the fitting with a preconceived notions. I wanted to walk away with a SLDR. I already believed it to be the best, and wanted it fine tuned for my flawless, tour-like movement into the ball. I arrived at the TMPL and brought with me the driver I have the most confidence in. It's the most consistent and longest I have owned to date as validated both on course and through a launch monitor.

Tracy provided me with a tour of the TMPL facility and explained the MAT-T system, in-depth. The MAT-T utilizes 3-D motion capture through the use of several high speed cameras. The player's image or avatar is digitally rendered onto a computer screen and can be viewed at any angle by the fitter. It's the same technology used in filmmaking and computer design. This combined with TaylorMade's proprietary software provides arguably the best OEM offered fitting technology available. One of my favorite aspects of this system is that your data is forever retained and can be assessed at any TMPL in the future. So as your swing changes through instruction, the fitter can utilize the previous swing for reference. As for me, my hack always looks the same regardless of instruction.

driverbodylinesaddress.jpg

I was able to hit my current gamer for reference, and pitted it against the SLDR with varied combinations of loft, face angle, and shafts. In the SLDR 460cc 12 Degree head, I was consistently gaining about ten yards over my current driver. The skeptic in me wondered if that was my subconscious in using the SLDR as opposed to old faithful. Maybe I was just more, “warmed-up” now, and getting an additional ten was not the result of technology at all. That's when Tracy button-hooked me. He said, “Okay, let's try the 430.”

IMG_4360.JPG

The what? Listen here, I am a 12 handicap that plays once a week. Is the Four Thirty the name of the place we could have lunch? Well, that's when the miracle happened. Tracy installed the SLDR 430cc 12 degree onto the Matrix RUL 70 Stiff. With a playing length of 45”, I gripped, took aim, and fell in love. Shot after shot, I averaged 18 yards more than my current driver. But more importantly and surprising to me was the dispersion. I hit this driver into a concentrated circle downrange that was a tighter pattern than every other shot I hit that day.

IMG_4361.JPG

IMG_4362.JPG

Tracy found the perfect combination of distance and accuracy. I was getting the most out of the swing I am physically able to put on the ball. I was hitting drives averaging in the 280's when typically, they'll find averages in the 260's. In a matter of two hours, he made the most of my ability as a 12. I have to be completely honest, it was difficult to remove the smile from my face. It was the first time in my golf career that I saw distance and dispersion gains that remarkable from a fitting. With an order sheet and an American Express card in hand, I placed an order the following day.

IMG_4364.JPG

IMG_4365.JPG

IMG_4366.JPG

The TMPL at Rush Creek provided a fitting experience that, quite honestly, is the most effective I've had to date. This, based purely on the knowledge of the fitter, and results gained from the experience. There are a lot of people critical of TaylorMade and their marketing tactics employed to sell their products. Although a MyGolfSpy Staffer (best looking I might add) TaylorMade did not reach out to me for the purpose of this editorial. I contacted them. They didn't provide me with the promise of a free driver in exchange for an article. I used my own funds to make the purchase of the SLDR.

Finally, I didn't have to write this either. I took the time out of my Sunday to report the experience to you the reader, unpaid, unbiased, and unaltered. The fitting and the fitter spoke for themselves with the quantifiable results gained from the experience. This driver, accolades aside, really is a game changer. At 18 gained yards and a ten yard landing pattern, this driver was worth the upgrade for me.

The Build

TaylorMade SLDR 430

12 Degree (set open to play at 11 degrees)

Matrix RUL 70 Stiff

Swingweight D2

45"

Golf Pride NDMC White/Black built up 1/32

An After Thought

image 3.jpeg

As I was finishing up the details of my SLDR order, I naturally walked over to the Tour Preferred irons bag and started hitting 6 irons into the net. Having previously been fit this past September for irons, I had a general idea of the specs I might need for Tour Preferred CB irons. As Tracy was completing my spec sheet and order, we discussed the irons briefly.

What I find to be most compelling about the Tour Preferred irons is the slot in their sole. Like previous generations before it, that slot provides a tangible improvement over my previous irons. Specifically, ball contact that is made low and off center on the face. Like most chops, this is my most common miss. The result is a ball flight that flies high, and lands soft. A flight previously atypical for a thinned shot. This combined with the widened sweet spot are again, game changing irons. I might sound like a broken record or a guy that that has played TaylorMade his entire life. I'll be the first to tell you, I haven't. However, it's my opinion they make the best driver and best irons in the game right now and I want them in the bag.

Forgive me if I came home and placed an order of Tour Preferred and Tour Issue to supplement the driver...

The Second Impulse Build

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

4-AW

.5* Upright 1* weak

True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Standard Length

Golf Pride NDMC White/Black built up to 1/32

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

IMG_4357.JPG

IMG_4356.JPG

TMPL Cost

Full-Fitting (3 Hours) : $350

Driver, Fairway(s), Hybrid(s), Irons, Wedges, Putter

Partial-Fitting (1.5 Hours) : $175

WOODS (Metalwoods) or IRONS (irons, wedge, hybrids)

Putter Fitting (1 Hour) : $100

Putter only

James Tracy

TaylorMade Perfomance Lab Master Fitter

763-255-2505

[email protected]

Posted Image

Great read. You know Zinger, even your CGI doppelgänger is the best looking man in golf. Lol

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Great write up zinger, I just scheduled a fitting at the performance lab here to get my irons and 3 wood fitted. I can't wait!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The bag tag doesn't lie.

IMG_4368.jpg

No arguing with that.

Great write up zinger, I just scheduled a fitting at the performance lab here to get my irons and 3 wood fitted. I can't wait!

Theoo, where's the performance lab in Cbus? No thread jack intended.

It's posts like this that make my Ho juices flow. Really need to start playing soon before I end up with some Speedblades or Mizzy 825 Pros.

Just keep repeating to myself I like my Amp Cells, I like my Amp Cells...

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Theoo, where's the performance lab in Cbus? No thread jack intended.

new albany country club

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

It's posts like this that make my Ho juices flow. Really need to start playing soon before I end up with some Speedblades or Mizzy 825 Pros.

Thanks Whiskey!

HCKY, let the crazy out!!

Posted Image

Nice write up, sounds like a great experience.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Great write-up!

I am a believer in the SLDR fitting necessity :)

ditto

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

If you buy the clubs, do you get any of the fitting fees applied to the club cost?  How competitive is their club pricing? 

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I don't need this. I don't need this. I don't need this. I don't need this. I don't need this I don't need this.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

I don't need this. I don't need this. I don't need this. I don't need this. I don't need this I don't need this.

It very quickly goes from that to..

What if?  What if? What if?

I want this, I want this, I want this.

I need this, I need this, I need this.

Thankfully the Speedblades are .370 hosels and I don't have shafts laying around that fit that.  If I can't ho inexpensively I won't ho :)

What if? What if? What if?

Thankfully the Speedblades are .370 hosels and I don't have shafts laying around that fit that. If I can't ho inexpensively I won't ho :)

There's always shims....

What if?  What if? What if?

Thankfully the Speedblades are .370 hosels and I don't have shafts laying around that fit that.  If I can't ho inexpensively I won't ho :)

I have Super Peening Blues in a very soft X, .370, +1/2". I have no business in X flex anymore. Would match up pretty darn well to what you're playing.

What? I'm just trying to HELP! :D

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I have Super Peening Blues in a very soft X, .370, +1/2". I have no business in X flex anymore. Would match up pretty darn well to what you're playing.

What? I'm just trying to HELP! :D

Thanks for making it even harder not to buy things :)

I promised myself only grips this season...

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Me neither, me neither, me neither, me neither, me neither, me neither…...

On another note Paul, I was gonna get you this for a wedding present, but since you don't need it….

NIce job Zinger!  Every golfer should have that type of experience at least once.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thanks guys.

The two drivers I played most last season were the Callaway RAZR Hawk & TaylorMade R1.  I hit both of these, on average, the same distance via FlightScope.  However, dispersion was always better on the RAZR Hawk.

At this fitting, I only brought the RAZR Hawk which was set up at:

10.6 (Actual Loft) set to .5* Open

GD Intl Tour AD DI 7S Stiff, Tipped .5"

44.75"

D3

As for the fitting, my last was at Olymipa Fields in September.

Paul, how can you avoid a place like this in your backyard!!!

Posted Image

Missing a putter and wedges there.

I'm waiting on a PING putter and wedges are pending too.

Ah well by the looks of the snow you've got time

Ah well by the looks of the snow you've got time

You don't have to rub it in :mad:

You don't have to rub it in :mad:

I'm in the same boat, the Ohio weather has been awful

Archived