The Dansome

• SPY VIP

SPEED REVIEW

BEST GRIPS - MicroPerf Club Grip "Augusta Edition"

bestgrips-microheader.jpg

Written by: Dan Mann

NATURAL

bestgrips-microperf1.jpg

I had a lot of apprehension about putting these on my new gamers, I wasn't sure if the stitching or the non-tapered built up lower hand would bother me. For one thing I have small hands and often a given companies “standard” just doesn't work for me. Well I'm happy to say neither was an issue and really the MicroPerf's are the most natural feeling grip I've held to date. BestGrips has done a lot to make these feel like an extension of the golfer to link to the club.

Now I'll admit these non-tapered grips won't be for everyone and that is why there's a variety of options on the market. But I applaud BestGrips for sticking to their vision and own personal beliefs of what a grip product should be like. Let's face it if they simply went with the popular vote what would differentiate them from everyone else?

QUALITY

bestgrips-microperfbutt2.jpg

BestGrips puts a lot of research and love into making every grip special. They have their own proprietary mold for hypoallergenic underlasts and a really expensive machine to ensure every piece of leather is rolled to a consistent thickness. Don't forget they're hand making these and sewing every stitch down in the heart of Texas. I'm shocked to not see a bit of fraying on any of the 8 grips or an extra tag or material on the end caps.

The end caps show no sign of peeling or bending up either. I've seen other leather grips where the end cap is thin & stressed and sure to peel up going in and out of bags often over time.

And most of all these SMELL like genuine leather. MBP's nostrils have perused a bevy of leather grips in the past & a lot of them reek of industrial glue, cheap knock off shoes and purses.

BestGrips has also told me they estimate a life expectancy on these at 3-4 years.

CONFIDENCE

bestgrips-microperf2.jpg

It's called ProTac people and it's a life changing experience. You think I joke, but living in a rain soaked, humid summer region of North America makes holding a golf club difficult at times. Protac simply put is “Tacky”, but in a good way, not a granny doily covered couch kinda way. Man these grips are sticky and the days of wearing gloves are over for me. But do not worry, this doesn't leave any residual residues, marks or stains on your hands.

Confidence like this can take one less worry out of your mind standing over the ball and I think I can speak for most when I say we'd love to think less on the course.

THE WRAP

bestgrips-microperf3.jpg

NATURAL

QUALITY

CONFIDENCE

MBP APPROVES

Hey, I'll be the first to admit leather grips aren't for every golfer. Everyone has their own individual preferences and ideas of what feels right to them. But what I do know is that BestGrips makes a damn good golf grip. Are they the end all? Possibly not, but BestGrips should be high up your consideration list when you make your next grip purchase.

speedreview-shadowed-bestgr.png

http://bestgrips.com/product/microperf-club-grip/

bestgrips-microperf4.jpg

*IN FOR REVIEW!

BestGrips.com MicroPerf Club Grips - Limited Edition AUGUSTA CLUB GRIP

Everyone's favorite genuine leather grip making Texan, is back just in time for my favorite major; The Masters. These limited edition handmade beauts feature the same high quality leather as the standard MicroPerf line, I'm just lucky enough to get my hands on the sexy Augusta themed version.

Check back in the future to catch my follow up review.

bestgrips-augusta-closeup.jpg

The Augusta Club Grip is the latest Masters themed grip from BestGrips. You will see a lot of Green and Yellow "Limited" products, but none are as superb as the MicroPerf Club Grip. The Augusta Club Grip features a special edition BG Green MicroPerf leather and Yellow thread. - BestGrips

bestgrips-augusta-8.jpg

bestgrips-augusta-stack2.jpg

bestgrips-augusta-full.jpg

The Augusta Club Grip will be available throughout April (in limited quantities).

ORDER NOW AT BESTGRIPS.COM

bestgrips-augusta-ends.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Nice pictures, now you just need to get some shiny new clubs to put them on.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Dead sexy!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 3 months later...

I took a pass on these last year and opted for the BG Tan.  I was not sure how they would look.  Yes, I have made stupid mistakes before, and probably will again.  These look really good.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• SPY VIP

I took a pass on these last year and opted for the BG Tan.  I was not sure how they would look.  Yes, I have made stupid mistakes before, and probably will again.  These look really good.

Even better in person. Weird thing is I get nothing when I Google green cows.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I'll trade you my 3 1/2 yr old straight up for those!

I'm kidding!!..... Unless your interested?

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

TM SLDR 5-p Xstiff Ctaper hard stepped 1 1/2 ext 3 deg upright

Cobra trusty rusty 51,55,59 deg

Nike method core MC01w

I have one Augusta grip which was the last one from last year.  It's great but not a microperf. The microperfs are incredible. I have them on the rest of my set in black with purple stitching and a Major Leaguer on my putter.  The quality of the leather, the stitching and the underlast on all of Bestgrips grips is the best of the best. There are some imitators with inferior materials.  But they don't come close to matching Bestgrips. They're not even in the same league. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived