Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Forum Member Reviews! TaylorMade Spider Si Putter

GolfSpy WD

This review is going to be slightly different than previous member reviews. The reviewers will still go through the paces and score the putter as we've done in the past. The difference is I'll be incorporating what they find into my own review to hopefully provide a broader view rather than just my own.

putter_cover.jpg

What I want to do is go through the technology TaylorMade has put into this thing:

• PureRoll Insert: This has been around for a while, but TM is so proud of it, it goes on every one of their putters. They flat out refuse to release a milled putter because they think they can't do any better than their current insert.
  • Counterbalancing: All the putters TM has put front and center on their website is a counterbalanced putter. They still do the traditional stuff, but counterbalancing has been a big push. They've done this by putting a 15”, 125 gram grip on the thing and making it longer than standard.
  • The Grip: This kinda-sorta goes along with counterbalancing, but is different in that it's about getting the right fit. With an extra long grip, will golfers gravitate to a “natural” grip location that could be longer or shorter than they usually would use with a standard grip?
  • High MOI: Frankly I have no idea what 6000 MOI means. The DLL has a MOI of 8500, the Blade 5200, the Mallet has the oddly specific MOI of 3874, and now the Spider Si has a MOI of over 6000. I'd like to figure out what the hell that really means and why we should care.

Part of me, the cynical part, wants to think one of the big reasons for counterbalancing is it is easier to fit golfers for it. TM now releases 2 putter lengths, rather than 3. This takes care of the typical 33” – 35” putter range, and really more like a 32” – 36” range. That's 1/3 less inventory to stock for stores, which means less wasted shelf space.

The other part of me is really interested to see if a counter balanced putter really does help stabilize the putter through the swing. I've been practicing my putting all winter, but I won't claim I never hit my shots off line. I'm with Jmike and Jax in that this is what interests me most about the putter. So I'll have to do a test measuring how well I can keep the ball on my intended line with this putter.

Onto the actual putter itself: I did know I'd be a little disappointed right off the bat when I got my box in the mail and I got what I expected. For some reason TM went from the nearly all black face to a giant amount of unnecessary red on the face. I realize this doesn't effect the putter in the slightest way and isn't noticeable at address, but I still wish they had stuck with the prototype look.

faces.jpg

As with the other reviewers, I got a huge poster to remind me of sunny California during the cold months of winter. I like the idea in theory, but I don't really have a good spot to hang it. It also has a lip where the poster ends, before the “cup” that would probably catch the ball if I used it in some elaborate setup. So it's still rolled up in my basement and may stay that way. It was a good thought.

Last year I spent several weeks to figure out which putter was best for me. This wasn't your typical putter fitting, it was me going to the golf store and hitting everything. I narrowed down the pool and hit it again. I got a simple loft/lie fitting to tell me I needed 34.5” putter with standard lie and then hit the putters I liked best again, choking down a bit. The final choice was between the Ping Nome and TaylorMade Spider. The Nome was the Slight Arc version, but I really didn't have issues with face-balanced putters, so this wasn't a factor. In the end, I went with the Nome because I really liked the sound and feel it made. So I guess for this review I'm going to have to revisit this, since the insert on the Spider Si is the same as it was on the Spider I was debating.

Oh, and not a single mention yet by the reviewers of the fact that this putter has a ball scoop?? Coming from the land of mallets, that's a rare thing. The Odyssey Sabertooth was the king in this category.

putter_ball.jpg

Phase 1 - Unboxing and Initial Impressions

My game never seems to all click at the same time. Driving, irons, chipping, putting... if I could just get all 4 things to gel in the same round, I'd be on the Senior tour. Receiving a chance to try a new counterbalanced putter before the masses, I enthusiastically jumped at it. Visions of trophies and bragging rights began to dance through my obviously twisted mind. Could this be "the one" that allows me to drain those 8 footers with impunity? Would this have me laughing as my skins group was forking over their $3.75 to me in the clubhouse? Would I have that magic putter that everyone wanted to touch?

Here in Minnesota, the golf season doesn't begin until we inch closer to May. I still have ice thick enough on the top of my swimming pool to walk across. When the Fedex guy dropped off the box from California in the 20 inches of snow on my front porch (including the fresh 8 inches that was still falling), my initial excitement was dampened a bit. Maybe it's just me, but there's something about receiving golf equipment when there is knee high snow that is kind of anti-climatic. Although it is supposed to warm quickly, it will likely be several more weeks before my course opens. 

10080017.JPG

"Honey, I have to review this club and have to go drive 4 hours to Iowa where I can try it out over the weekend!" Sounds perfectly reasonable to all of you fellow Spies, right?  My wife? Not so much. Somehow I had been previously convinced to attend the Home and Remodeling show at the Minneapolis convention center with her on Sunday. Oh, what joy. "But that was before the putter arrived!" Have any of you ever received that LOOK from your spouse? You know, the look that they would also give to an 8 year old that is begging for candy in the checkout line? I guess that is confirmation I'm going to the Home and Remodeling show.

I decided to open the box anyway. If I can't use it yet, I can at least take a look. I opened the box and I see a large rolled piece of paper that is the entire length of the box. Upon closer inspection, I spot some writing that mentions something about "photo grade output" on it. Hmmm... this isn't just packing paper. I pull out the tube of paper and find the putter neatly tucked inside, sealed in a plastic bag. After a quick glance at this LONG putter, I carry the tube of paper to my billiard table to see what this massive thing is. It's a huge TM poster with a green on it from a golf course. Really? Ok, whatever - I'd rather have a hat. I hope that a poster used for packing material is not the biggest WOW moment I am going to get out of this.

10080044.JPG

I unwrap the putter and am drawn to the bright yellow sticker wrapped around the top of the grip that serves as a warning, "CHOKE DOWN ON THIS PUTTER". Ok, this is pretty funny. I'm thinking of a biological hazard warning label or something, and I'm taken a bit by the appearance.

Cripes this thing is long! I put it in my hands and note the nice feel of the grip. But cripes! This thing is long! It's going to be interesting trying out this putter. My initial impression at this point is that this is unlike any putter I have tried before. My excitement is quickly curbed as the wife yells to me that it's time for the Home and Remodeling show. Sigh.

10080088.JPG

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

PHASE 2: The Official Review

Official MGS Forum Review by marckilgore

10080061.JPG

I was sent the TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si 38” standard face-balanced model with a single-bend, ½ shaft offset for review. I spent an hour on the putting green to get a feel for it, and then put it in my bag for the next 10 rounds of golf over a few weeks.

I am what you would probably call “brand neutral”. I'm not focused on the brand, the color, or styling – I care only about things like performance and durability. I really have no preconceived perceptions of TaylorMade, other than some people seem to love them, and some people seem to hate them. I don't love or hate any brand, I just look for products that work the best for me.

The Spider Si is a new iteration out of the family of Spider putters from TaylorMade. Obviously, they must be selling well, or they wouldn't continue to churn out new models from that line. The 38 inch shaft is longer than normal, to allow for the counterbalancing weight they have built under the grip in the top of the putter shaft. I assume the two white legs extending from the back of the putter head are supposed to be the spider legs. Those spider legs serve as a really nice ball scoop for when you miss a putt, which I unfortunately used frequently. I would assume that the three white lines on the rear of the putter give a nice alignment aid if you are tall enough to stand over the ball. Unfortunately, being 5' 10” tall, I found that I was not tall enough to get my eyes over the top of the putter. I normally use a 34” face balanced putter (a Scotty Cameron Futura X with Superstroke grip).

10080091.JPG

Performance

Long Putt (> 20 feet) Performance

• Accuracy – Fair. I had trouble being able to align longer putts and would end up off line from where I felt I was aiming. The putt went straight where I was aiming, but I was not aiming at the target. I verified this with a laser and mirror and was aiming right of my target most of the time. The 38” shaft on this putter required me to significantly change my putting posture to be more upright and back from the ball. I don't look like I'm Michelle Wie bent over when I'm putting (insert inappropriate joke here), but I have learned to get my eyes over and on top of the ball. My preferred posture was not possible for me with this length of a putter shaft. If I tried to get over the ball to properly align, the end of the shaft would touch my belly. No matter what kind of odd Twister contortions I put myself in, I never felt like I could properly align long putts. I frequently had long putts that ended up two feet to the right of where I thought I was aiming. I never had this issue when using a normal length Ghost Spider S from a year or so ago, so my conclusion is that the shaft length was the problem. TaylorMade would probably say my gut was the problem.

• Distance Control – Excellent. The pure roll insert is a huge step forward for distance control in a putter face. The ability to properly lag those long putts is excellent with the Spider Si. Normally my problem is distance control with my putter – not alignment. It was the exact opposite with this putter.

• Forgiveness – Good. Although not usually a problem for me, I found that the putter corrects for off center face hits very well. When I allowed a couple high handicap players to give it some rolls, they commented about how it seemed so easy to putt with it.

Long Putt Score: (72 out of 100)

10080081.JPG

Mid Putt (5-20 feet) Performance

• Accuracy – Fair. At closer distances, my problems with alignment were less of an issue. Obviously it's much easier to make a 5 foot putt than a 20 foot putt. Alignment issues became a larger issue at longer distances.

• Distance Control – Excellent. The pure roll insert allows you to lag puts very well.

• Forgiveness – Excellent. Your putt will go straight. Even when purposefully trying to hit it off center, I felt very list twist or odd sensation in the grip.

Mid Putt Score: (76 out of 100)

10080075.JPG

Short Putt (

• Accuracy – Good. Frankly, a putter has to be pretty bad to not give good accuracy at less than 5 feet. I had a tendency to sometimes pull short putts with this putter, likely as a result of me trying to compensate for erroneously aligning to the right of the target on longer putts.

• Distance Control – Excellent. The pure roll insert works very well to control distance.

• Forgiveness – Excellent.

Short Putt Score: (90 of 100)

10080052.JPG

Performance Notes

Overall, I'd say the putter feels great when making contact with the ball, but the length of the putter shaft made it far too unwieldy for me. I had several playing partners confirm that they saw the end of the putter grip get caught in my jacket when we were playing in some cooler temperatures. I believe you need to have a slim build and not wear loose clothing to use this length of putter if you are not tall, or it will cause you problems. As I mentioned, I had a few occasions where the top of the putter grip got caught in my jacket and completely screwed up my putt, leaving me 10 feet away from a 25 foot putt. I'm sure the length is how the counterbalancing works, but for me it just was too long to effectively use.  I would have loved to try a 35” model, as my normal putter is 34” long and I wouldn't have the same issues of it hitting my growing waistline or getting caught in my jacket. Moving from a 34” to a 38” putter was just too extreme of a change for me when gripping all the way down the putter as you are supposed to with this putter.

Total Performance Score: 79

10080044.JPG

Subjective

Looks 

The looks of the putter are adequate – nothing really unique other than the protruding spider legs. I found the size of the putter to be average, the coloring and visual impact of the putter to be good. The white portions of the putter picked up a couple of chips off the paint during my testing. I always had the cover on when not using it, so I'm not sure how I did that. As a result, I'd say the durability of the finish is questionable. I've never had putters that lost their finish by chipping paint in less than a month. Perhaps I was being careless with it, but I don't remember doing it.

Looks Score: (75 out of 100)

10080078.JPG

Sound and Feel

The sound and feel of a putt off the Spider Si was wonderful for me. It's a bit softer, yet not mushy. In fact, the sound and feel of this putter made me WANT to really like this putter. Putts just feel fantastic coming off the head. It gives you the feeling that you are able to control distance well, and my testing proved that was the case. The balance of the putter does not feel any different than any other face balanced putter I have used. If the counterbalancing was doing anything, I couldn't sense it. The grip is exceptional.  It has the perfect tackiness and sense of feel when gripping the club.

Sound and Feel Score: (95 of 100)

10080064.JPG

Likelihood of Purchase (LOP)

I believe my problems with the Spider Si were the result of a bad fit for me - excessive length of the shaft. A 35” model wouldn't have caused me to have to completely change my putter stance and eye position, and it wouldn't have caught in my jacket or been brushing up against my expanding waistline. As for the 38” putter used for testing? No, I would not purchase this putter. If I was 2 inches taller in height, I'm not sure my answer would be the same.

LOP Score: (40 out of 100)

10080074.JPG

Subjective Notes

I really liked this putter, but just couldn't figure out how to use it with a shaft this long. If I were able to get the feel of the Spider Si in my current putter, I'd have a home run. However, this putter does have its issues other than the 38” shaft not fitting me. For me, it is durability.

1. The white finish chipped in a couple of spots, and I think the finish durability is suspect. If you are concerned about a putter needing to look new all of the time, I feel it will be difficult with this putter. If you don't mind something that looks a little worn after some use, this probably isn't going to be an issue for you.

2. I thought the pure roll insert gave an amazing feel when making contact with the ball, and significantly improved my distance control. Unfortunately, I frequently was trying to remove particles of sand from the small micro ridges that are part of the pure roll insert. This got really irritating, and I found myself needing to make sure there were not bits of sand that had become jammed in the insert. I had a few putts that just felt ‘off'. When I then inspected the face, I found several pieces of sand wedged into the insert that required a small pocketknife to remove. This frequent required cleaning created small nicks in the insert (using brushes, water or towels would not always remove the sand). Over time, I believe the insert would get enough gouges and nicks in it to require replacement. Unfortunately, I confirmed the insert is not replaceable.  The only other option would be to replace the entire putter.

Total Subjective Score: 70

(average of Looks, Sound & Feel, and LOP Scores)

10080055.JPG

Conclusion

Distance control with this putter is excellent. The pure roll insert is definitely the real deal. However, TM needs to find a way to create this insert without allowing bits of sand to become mushed into the insert. I can't tell you if the counterbalancing was a factor in distance control or not. I suppose the best thing about the counterbalancing was that I felt nothing different when putting. For me, the counterbalancing was a total non-event. Was it the counterbalancing, the insert, or a combination that allowed me to control distance so well? That's the question I have not yet been able to answer.

This review showed how important it is to get properly fitted for a putter. I am 5' 10”, cursed with short legs, long torso, and a growing waistline. The 38” length was 1” too long for me to use without having to stand more upright, suck in my gut, or step back a few inches from the ball, which made it very difficult to properly align longer putts.

Note: Sucking in your gut is not a great tension reliever.

The feel off the face of this putter is quite good and is worth trying out if it fits you. I think the 38 inch shaft length is probably going to be a bit of an issue for a segment of players. Since the counterweighting is in the grip area of the club and is part of the added length, you can't just cut the shaft down without removing some of the counterweight. The club included no instructions or information on cutting the shaft length, so I assume it means adjustments are not recommended. Either it fits you or it doesn't. Frankly, I think this is pretty short sighted on the part of TaylorMade and a removable TourLock counterweight would allow the person to make more adjustments in length if necessary. Without any information on the counterweight, I have no idea if the weight is a solid plug underneath the grip, part of the shaft itself, etc.

Total Score: 74.5 (average Performance and Subjective Scores)

10080084.JPG

The Five (answer the following questions)

1. Will this putter go in your bag? Why or why not?

No, this putter will not go in my bag. The 38” shaft is far too long for me.

2. Will this putter go in your bag? Why or why not?

Any mallet style player should try the club. If you are not tall, try the 35” model instead.

3. How, if at all, did this putter change your overall impression of TaylorMade?

My impression of TaylorMade didn't change. I think it's a quality putter that could use some minor design changes (finish durability and true roll insert modification), but will work well for someone if it fits them.

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

The white finish needs to be much more durable paint. I've seen other various model Spiders on the course and many of them already look chipped. The pure roll insert is fantastic, but either they need to make it so particles of sand can't get jammed into it, or preferably, offer a way to replace the insert.

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

The pure roll insert makes the putter feel fantastic. They are really onto something with whatever material it is. I'd like to see them be able to come up with a way to make it more flat and less three dimensional ridges to make it more durable without altering the feel.

placeholder

Unboxing

Anytime a new box of clubs shows up at my house it is a good day for me.  I unfortunately had a few more than I had told the wife about show up last week (d'oh). When this showed up on my doorstep on Friday I has some explaining to do, but after a few minutes of convincing her that this was for a review the storm blew over and I got down to business enjoying the new delivery.  Based on the size of the box and the great job that TaylorMade does with their media kits I was a bit more than excited to get this one open.  Unfortunately, once I opened the box I was a bit surprised to essentially find the putter in a plastic bag with the head cover, a wall decoration that is a putting green/hole depiction and some wrapping paper.  Not exactly the best presentation for a new product launch nor up to the standards that TaylorMade has set in the past.  Presentation aside; it was the day of the launch and I had a shiny new flat stick to play around with and the first counter balanced putter that I have tried outside of rolling a few putts in a golf shop.

Initial impression

Once I got the putter out of its wrapping, the first thought I had was how compact the head is compared to the past offerings from TaylorMade in the high MOI segment of the market.  The white and black head frame the ball very well.  The second thought I had was the size of the grip and how well the grip fit the putter as well the overall balance of the putter.  I had a tee time for the next morning and had it not been my first round of the year I think that I would have put it in the bag and given it a go immediately. 

Picture3_zps8e6855c2.jpg

Picture4_zpsfe0ef1a4.jpg

Next….

I have a slight addiction to putters and at current count have somewhere in the neighborhood of five to six dozen in my golf room.  I also like to play what I own and do not believe in “wall hangers” so I tend to change putters like most people change socks.  I have putted with both conventional and broomstick putters in the past. I have never really been able to produce any consistency with a belly putter though and the one I own has rarely seen the light of day.  The concept of a counter balanced putter intrigues me quite a bit since it is billed as the benefits of a belly putter without actually having to anchor it to your body.  I am starting to get back into playing golf competitively after a few years off and any help that I can get at this point is greatly needed.  When I am playing well putting could be the weakest part of my game; which is not to say I am poor with the flatstick but it is the part of the game that I could use the most help with.  Will the Spider Si stay in the bag for more than a few rounds?…….Stay tuned to find out how it fairs against the current stable of putters.

Would also like to give a big thank you to MyGolfSpy for allowing me the opportunity to participate in the this review.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

TaylorMade Spider Si Review by Jmikecpa

IMG_0380.jpg

INTRO

My name is Jamie and I have an addiction to putters…now all in unison “HELLLLO Jamie.”  I am truly a putter addict and all it usually takes for me is to make a few nice putts in a shop and it can be almost assured that I will be adding to my stable of putters.  In general I prefer a blade style putter and most of what I own is in the Scotty Newport style and what I prefer to play.  When I was given the opportunity to review this putter I was intrigued as I have rarely looked for technology in a putter that would potentially improve my game.

I was pretty excited when I came home one Friday afternoon and a new TaylorMade Spider Si 38” putter had arrived at my house.  After about half an hour trying to convince the wife that I did not purchase said putter it was off to the putting green to give it a go and try and get acquainted with my new toy.  Since then I have had it in the bag for six rounds of golf on four different courses as well as some time on the putting green before and after each round.  Also in this time I have not used any other putters as I wanted to see how this putter would perform for me and not against anything else that I currently own.  My wife told me that would be impossible since I change putters like a change socks.  I think that is a bit unfair but then again I did play three rounds of golf on vacation with three different putters….none of which I owned prior to arriving in Florida for vacation.

The first impression of this putter is that it is long, but when it is set down behind the ball the contrasting white and black made for great alignment aids. I found myself thinking that this could be the start of a beautiful relationship if this putter performed as well as my initial impression of how it looked and felt after my first few waggles with it.  I was also digging the compact size compared to the Spider Vicino that I currently own.

IMG_0359.jpg

Performance

Accuracy:  In a word this putter is deadly.  Read the putt, align the ball on the intended line and roll away.  The white and black contrast on the head well and the three alignment stripes make this one of the easiest putters I have ever used for alignment.  I did notice that I needed to stand a bit taller with this putter than with the normal 34” putter that I normally use, but the adjustment was very minor and something that I have stayed with when I use a shorter putter.

Distance Control:  At first I really struggled with distance control in the putter for two reasons; the length and the insert.  The first issue is just a matter of repetition and gaining some comfort over my stroke with this putter, as it is different than a conventional putter.  The second issue was a bit harder to overcome, as I have never spent any considerable time using an insert putter.  The first several putts that I rolled with it from 25 feet were a good five to six feet by the hole since the ball just seems to jump off the face.  After some reps and time getting acquainted to the insert distance control became a breeze and very, very consistent.  The ball comes off the face true and holds the line very well.  In the six rounds that I have played with the putter distance control was never and issue and lag putts became very routine; which is an aspect of my game that I struggle with quite a bit.

Forgiveness:  Excellent.  This is normally not an area that I struggle with and this putter performed as well as anything that I have ever used.  I had a few of the higher handicap players that I have played with roll some balls with it and two of them did not want to give it back.  I even struck several putts on the heel and toe purposely and the putts still were within gimme range.

Long Putt Score: (92 of 100)

IMG_0374.jpg

Accuracy:  Similar results to the long lag putts in that this putter is really just point and shoot for me.

Distance Control:  This is an area that is normally not an issue for me and with this putter I had a lot of issues with distance control on mid range putts.  I tend to be more of a feel player and the putter just lacks a lot of feel for me in this range.  The combination of the longer shaft and the insert just did not work for me here.  Normally this would be a deal breaker for me, but once you read below you will understand why it is not.

Forgiveness:  Excellent.  Balls struck not as perfectly as one would like hold their line well and almost no perceivable loss of distance. 

Mid Putt Score: (84 of 100)

IMG_0363.jpg

Short Putt (

Accuracy:  Excellent, I felt like a sniper with this on short putts.

Distance Control:  Excellent:  I tend to try and hit shorter putts from six feet and in firmly and at the back of the cup Philly Mick style (and yes I have four jacked a few holes from inside of 6 feet).  The same characteristics that made this putter maddening on mid range putts made it a superstar from shorter ranges.  The ball holds its line well and I seemed to make anything I looked at from short range.

Forgiveness:  Excellent.  Yet again better than just about any putter I have ever used. 

Short Putt Score: (95 of 100)

IMG_0371.jpg

Performance Notes 

Although this putter took some adjustment and time to get used to the results that I saw with it were well worth the time and effort.  From long range the extended shaft makes the putter feel very stable and the ball rolls straight and true.  Mid range putts at times were a challenge, but the short putt performance more than made up for this area.  I believe that with a little more time and practice the issues that I was having from mid-range are correctable.  I think that the counterbalance technology has a lot of merits and that we will see this segment take off once the anchor stroke is eliminated from the game. 

Total Performance Score: 90

IMG_0366.jpg

Subjective 

Looks

The look of this putter is very reminiscent of the Odyssey Sabertooth, but with some added color.  I am really not a fan of the white phenomenon that TaylorMade has thrust upon the golfing world and this putter is not an exception.  I would prefer the putter to be any other color than white, but as I mentioned above the white contrasts well with the black and make alignment a piece of cake.  One aspect that I really did not care for at all was the red accents on the face of the putter.  This would have been much better served with an all black face as the red can become a distraction and gives the putter a bit of a cheap look.  I thought the head size of this putter fit well and was a lot more pleasing to look at than some of the other offerings that TaylorMade has had in the Spider line over the years.   All in all this is a pretty good looking stick even though I am not a huge fan of the white head.

Looks Score: (87 of 100)

Sound and Feel

The sound on this putter was very muted and took a bit of getting used to compared to the nice solid click that you get from a non-insert milled putter.  The sound is a bit softer and translates well to the soft feeling that the face produces.  The feel on this putter is exceptional with the soft face providing relatively good feedback on all putts.  I am not an insert guy and out of the 60+ putters that I own only a few are insert putters, but this testing has opening my eyes to whole new world.  The grip is also a winner on this putter; very high quality grip and just the perfect size for the added length of this putter.   

Sound and Feel Score: (95 of 100)

I am sold.  Out of all of the putters that I own this is only the second TaylorMade putter that I have in the stable.  I was put off a bit by the earlier versions of the true roll insert as well as the white head, but after seeing how this putter performed for me I am on board with TaylorMade. 

LOP Score: (97 of 100)

IMG_0370.jpg

Subjective Notes

I really like this putter a lot and the true roll insert works really well in conjunction with the longer shaft.

Total Subjective Score: (93 of 100)

Conclusion

Overall this is a fantastic offering from TaylorMade and a winner from a tour proven line of putters.  The quality and looks are solid and the performance matches the appearance.  Thanks to this review my eyes are now open to a new brand of putter and my wife is very thrilled since exactly what I need are a few new putters.

Total Score: (92 of 100) 

IMG_0355.jpg

The Five

1.     Will this putter go in your bag? Why or why not?

Yes, as of now it is in the bag for the foreseeable future based solely on performance

2.     To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this putter? Why?

This putter is a good fit for just about anyone.  This is a putter that low and high handicap players could use effectively.

3.     How, if at all, did this putter change your overall impression of TaylorMade?

I really never gave much thought to TaylorMade for putter as I was not a fan of most of the earlier models.  After spending some extended time with this putter I can say that I will no longer dismiss their putters.

4.     What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

The white color on the head since the finish is not really durable nor very asthetically pleasing.

5.     What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

The pure roll insert that is in this model should be continued in future models as well.  This version is a big step up over the prior offerings and produces a feel that is just magnificent.

WITB 2024

Placeholder

WITB 2024

Initial thoughts and unboxing: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 

Ok, I'm gonna start off by saying how grateful I am at this opportunity and hope I can live up to the reviews done by my predecessors. When I got the message asking how I'd feel about reviewing the new Taylormade Ghost Spider Si, I was overwhelmed. I can't say that part of the excitement didn't stem from the thought of a shiny new toy and one of those media kits thrown together by the TMaG marketing machine. Last week the other reviewers started announcing they received their packages, so I ran out to check my front porch and...nothing. Anxiety set in a bit, but a little while later my upstairs tennant knocked on the door and handed me the box saying that FedEx knocked on his door by mistake. Happy happy, joy joy. Now that it finally I arrived, there was a little extra bounce in my step and I couldn't wait to see what was in the box.

first glimpse.jpeg

And then I was a little underwhelmed. Where was my big blue box and flat brimmed hat with a poorly chosen phrase on the front? And what is this oversized wrapping all about?
I soon found out. A little bit of California love sent out to help us poor guys who haven't seen green grass since...well I can't recall but it's been a long time. Nice big scene of a course complete with green and a cup. I'm already trying to figure out how I can turn this into an actual cup once I find a more permanent space to hang it. This is just awesome. Not clue where I'm gonna put it. The boss lady took one look and gave me the "no way in hell" look as I started eyeballing blank walls around the house. The sheer size of it kinda blew me away. The section of fence I've got it up on for this pic is 6 feet high and 8 feet from post to post. 

wide view.jpeg

So now that I've seen the marketing piece, lets get to the flatstick itself. I was told to be expecting a 38" counter balanced putter based on what I currently game. This thing is definitely hard to miss. I knew it was gonna be substantially more putter than I'm used to working with. My preference has always been blade style and I think the longest I ever considered a mallet for was about a week so there's going to be an adjustment period for me. The last time I had a Taylormade putter in the bag was more than a couple years ago, my beloved Nubbins(yeah the orange ping pong paddle looking insert). And then I see there's a bright yellow tag at the top of the grip. CHOKE DOWN ON THIS GRIP.

When I first saw some of the online pics like a lot of people my first thought was Odyssey Sabretooth. That went right out of my head once I got my hands around the grip. I like the fact that the center part of the body is black and the outer wings are ghosted. I don't know how aggressive a putter actually can be considered but Si is definitely not like what you're used to. My main gripe with the Ghost line of putters has been the look of the white after it gets a little older and has a ding or two in it so I already feel that I am going to be overly cautious with the Si. That being said, the Si is just so clean and smooth. It may just be the new factor getting in my head a bit but the look does make me feel like I can walk out and drain a 20 footer with ease.  
top.jpeg

Have more for you as soon as I get this baby on some real grass.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

PHASE 2: The Official Review

Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38” – Official MGS Forum Review by The Artful Duffer

putter banner.jpg

INTRO

History Lesson 1: The year was 2005, Taylormade gets the ball rolling, somewhat literally, with the introduction of their Pure Roll face. 2008 would bring us the high MOI Monza Spider. In 2010, they released the first in the what would become a long line of white putters with the Corza Ghost. 2011 brought us a full line of Ghosted putters. Fast forward to now, combine everything that Taylormade has put into their putters for the past decade, throw it into a funky 380 gram head, add some counterbalancing from a 15 inch 130 gram grip due to that pesky anchoring ban, and 2014 brings us the Ghost Spider Si. OK, so it probably wasn't' quite that simple, but you get the idea.

History Lesson 2: I have no history with mallet putters. They've never caught my eye, I've never had a desire to pick one up. I love that sleek, narrow profile of a blade. Inserts have also never ranked high on my list of features to look for on a putter. The last insert putter I bought was from Taylormade though, a Nubbins B1 circa 1999 which I carried for years and still sits in the basement with the Firesole irons I bought around the same time. I love the click of metal when I know I've struck the ball well. I've never considered myself a great putter, but I also have not counted it among the weaknesses in my game.

When I was selected to participate in this review, I was _________. Nervous. Excited. Anxious. All that and more. The Spider Si is the furthest thing imaginable from any putter I've ever bagged. Get me out of my comfort zone. Force me to take a look at a part of my game that I've taken for granted. And hey if I drop a few more of those first putts and eliminate some of those third putts I can probably live with that. Despite the wonderful weather here in central Ohio I managed to get in several rounds with this putter and the following is a breakdown of how this putter fits my game. So take it with a grain of salt.

*Your actual results may vary which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

address.jpeg

Performance

After a long winter layoff, iron play tends to get rusty. So going at a flag stick tends to take a backseat to hoping and praying to land anywhere on the green. That often leaves plenty of room between you and the cup. My ego isn't that out of control to think I'm going to drain a lot of these. I don't hit these putts hoping to leave it close, mind you. I tell myself that I'm going to sink everything from any spot on the green, but I've still got my fair share of 3 bangers from out here.

• Accuracy: Having never used a Ghost putter before, the white really struck me with the amount of contrast to the green. With the Ghost edges and the black center section with the 3 sight lines made lining the Spider Si up a cinch. Once I traced the line back from the cup to the spot I wanted to start rolling along I could just set this down and see right where I needed to position the face. I wish everything in life could be this easy. Think about your car when you put fresh tires on, get balancing and alignment done. Steer it towards the horizon, let go of the wheel, and feel like it could travel on a straight stretch forever without your help.

• Distance Control: Does the ball go the distance you were expecting? Oh hell no. This is by no means the putters fault. I'm struggling with getting an accurate feel from long range with the Spider Si. This putter is heavy and is gonna take some time to get used to. I left almost all of my putts from long range well short of the hole. The insert and the weight are miles away from what I'm used to and I'm still working out the bugs. Some putts I felt were gonna be pin high or just past the hole still left me more than a tap in away. “Hit the ball Alice!” was screamed on numerous occasions. This is my own mental block of not putting a solid confident stroke on the ball. I'll take full blame here and maybe when it comes time for the follow up I've have a different perspective. I've always been a watch it die into the cup instead of slamming into the back of the hole kind of guy. I'm frustrated but with some work I think this can be overcome.

• Forgiveness – While discussing accuracy I said that Si will go where you point it. Catching one out towards the toe(my usual miss when putting) still tracks along pretty close to the intended target. You'll be several inches off line at the end when dealing with this kind of distance, but it's definitely far better than it could be. The face wants to stay pointed in the direction it started, and it wants to make sure the ball goes that way as well. There were a number of times where I initially swore under my breath thinking I was going to be far off the mark and was pleasantly surprised at the results.

Long Putt Score: (out of 100) 80 based solely on distance control which as of this review still eludes me.

long.jpeg

I'm going to try and avoid a lot of repetition from section to section. Unlike the iron reviews where short, mid, and long irons all can have vastly different attributes I'm working with one putter. So there's bound to be a little overlap. I feel comfortable in this range. My iron play has never been exceptionally sharp, on good days this is generally where my first putts are going to be from. Two putting from here is usually what I strive for. One putts are fantastic. Three putts can be devastating. I could really use some more consistency as those three putts tend to blow up a round.

• Accuracy – As stated above. Where you aim the face, that's where the ball is gonna go. Once I found my line, the ball looked like it was running on autopilot. At ten feet Si is a bloodhound tracking the hole like an escaped convict in one of those old prison break movies.

• Distance Control – This was much better for me once I got inside the 15 foot mark. I still left some short but the weight of the head seemed to pull right through impact and get the ball moving along nicely. Again, I'm thinking that there's still plenty of room to improve here but it's gonna take some time and a decent hard work on the practice green. I hate practicing putting so there will be some adjustments needed in the way I approach fine tuning this.

• Forgiveness – Being a little off here is the difference between a tap in and one of those little one to two footers that give me nightmares that I wake up shaking from. If I caught it off on the toe I'd be maybe a cup or two to the right or just burning the edge whereas my blade would have left me way off the mark.

Mid Putt Score: (out of 100) 91 I'm feeling pretty good about things and the future is looking bright.

mid.jpeg

Would you believe I missed this?!

Short Putt (

In a perfect world, we'd all make these every time. If this Hack golf thing with the 15” hole comes to be the norm then maybe we all will. Until then, putting a ball that is just over 1.5” in diameter into a hole 4.25” across will continue to frustrate and delight us all. The Spider Si at this distance does provide more joy than than it does tears.

• Accuracy – Point and shoot at this range. Barring any major miscalculations on my part, this putter will find the bottom of the cup. The alignment aids, contrasting color scheme, and all the other bells and whistles translate into one thing: more of the ball ending up in the hole. In the rounds I've had this in the bag, there wasn't a single putt at these distances where the thought of a miss even entered my mind. The Si really excels from short range.

• Distance Control – All those complaints I had about long distance putts and not being able to quite lock it down are non existent from here. The weight and balance of this putter takes out all the guess work. Just take it back and let the weight pull it back through impact and watch it roll out. Almost all misses were still right next to the hole.

• Forgiveness – Catching one off center here is still gonna give you a real good shot at dropping it in from the side of the cup. The way the Si resists twisting and maintains it's stability is almost unreal.

Short Putt Score: (out of 100) 99 If they make one of these that drops every putt from this distance every time no matter my own shortcomings, then I'll throw up a 100.

grip.jpeg

Performance Notes

Solid. That's the best description I can think of for the Taylormade Spider Si. A good all around performer that is near perfect at close range. I think someone just slipped me a glass of Taylormade Ghost Spider Si Kool-Aid. I'm very impressed with the way this putter recovers when you miss the center of the face. It's possible to get away with some questionable contact with the Si and still get the ball home. Lining up is very easy to do with the sight lines being the width of the ball giving a nice visual reference point.

Total Performance Score: (average of long, middle and short putt scores) 90

insertclose.jpg

Subjective:

Looks

The longer I keep the Spider in the bag, the more it grows on me. The combination or ghosted outer pieces and the black inner section really fills the eye. The stark contrast between the colors and then the green makes for a great presentation. I hadn't taken my regular gamer out from under it's headcover since this review process started. So just for comparison I pulled it out while writing this and looked at them side by side. The head on the Si is considerably larger. I mean ridiculously larger when looking at them side by side. Baby's Got Back. Funny thing is, when I had it out on the course the more I used it the less I noticed.

Looks Score: (out of 100) 97 I just dread the first time I gouge or chip the Ghosting.

You know, a ding in the paint kind of like this.(Courtesy of some kids screwing around with the putters at work.)

ding.jpeg

Sound and Feel

The very first thought I had when I picked this club out of the box it arrived in was, “This thing has got some heft to it.” I immediately thought of Boccieri and the Heavy Putter. Then I made a couple swings. Smooth. I can feel the head all the way but it's not like I've got a cinder block on the end of the shaft. The balance reminds me of high end chef's knives I used back in my restaurant days. The weight is there to make a forceful cut but it's balanced for easy handling and repetitive use. (Just hopefully not too many times in a row) The grip is a whole other story. It's long. There's a lot to work with and it took some experimenting to find the spot to keep my hands. It's soft but not squishy. There's just enough tack that a nice light even grip is more than enough.If you grip tightly, you can feel the harder piece under the cushion where the counterbalance comes into play. I'm wondering though, what is gonna happen if I need to replace this if I continue to bag this putter for a long time? The grip feels great in my hands but what if someone wants something firmer or softer? Is there suddenly going to be a flooding of aftermarket grips? Is Best Grips gonna be first to throw together something specifically for this putter? As I mentioned way back at the beginning of this review, the last time I owned and bagged putter with an insert was also a Taylormade. It's a Nubbins. For those not familiar, back in the late 90's everything Taylormade was doing involved orange. The insert looks like someone shaved down a koosh ball leaving just a bunch of little, for lack of a better term, nubs. I loved this putter. Still do. It was in regular rotation up through a few years ago. Things have changed a lot since then. I love that sharp click when the ball pops off a solid metal putter. It's sharp and decisive. Feedback can often be based off sound alone. After having a few go rounds with the Pure Roll face insert on the Spider Si, I can see the appeal. It's firm without being harsh. Something I didn't think I'd take to. I can admit I was wrong. It was quite a surprise. I really enjoy the feel but at times and it does get the ball rolling a little quicker where my metal putters have that quick skid/hop action. I was expecting kind of a dead feel and couldn't have been further off.

Sound and Feel Score: (out of 100) 94

Taylormade insert technology. They've come a long way.

inserts.jpeg

How likely would you be to purchase this putter?

Before this opportunity, I probably wouldn't have given this putter a second look in the shop let alone consider buying one. After playing it, I can admit I was a little close minded when it came to mallets and have probably been missing out. The price tag might still cause me to hesitate. I've never paid over $100 for any putter I've owned. And that includes the Scotty Cameron sitting in the corner. Craigslist, eBay, Play It Again Sports. I've been a bargain hunter when it comes to the flatstick.

LOP Score: (out of 100) 70 But given that before this test it would've been a 0 I'd say that's a huge jump.

compare.jpeg

A quick size comparison to what used to be in the bag.

Subjective Notes

Clean and crisp. It's definitely and eye catching design and the colors fit together nicely. The counterbalanced Spider Si has a nice stout feel during the stroke. Coming through impact is a nice fluid almost effortless motion. There's a muted little click and away goes the ball. I wish the feel was just a fraction harder for a little more feedback as I wonder if some of my distance control issues on the long putts could be to to everything feeling so solid.

Total Subjective Score: (average of Looks, Sound & Feel, and LOP Scores) 87

‌inspiration.jpg

The secret behind the Taylormade design team's inspiration?

Conclusion

TL:DR(Too long, Didn't Read) I'm sure this thought entered someone's head reading through this so here's the short version. In the Ghost Spider Si, Taylormade has taken a sampling of their best putter technologies and rolled them into a sleek stable performer. Ghost coloring, Pure Roll Face, a High MOI Steel Frame, and a counterbalanced grip combine into a putter that is can feel almost automatic from ten feet in. Distances outside that mark are taking little while to get used to but I have a feeling that with some work this putter could really turn out to be a very reliable performer for a long time to come. The weight, overall length, and counterbalancing will require some adjustments for those that pick it up. It did for me. It's a good looking putter that is stable and smooth during the stroke that wants to roll the ball quickly and on line.

Total Score: (average Performance and Subjective Scores) 91

One more pic of Si ready for the course. Oh wait, wrong Si...

Si on the course.jpg

The Five

1. Will this putter go in your bag? Why or why not? It's in the bag for the foreseeable future. I'm gonna ride this thing out for the season. I'm thrilled with this thing at short range and really feel if I get get the longer distance issues taken care of through practicing this could be something special.

2. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this putter? Why? Those who stab at the ball. Get a little too wristy. The increased weight of the head and the counterbalancing in the grip helps take all that jerky motion out of play.

3. How, if at all, did this putter change your overall impression of Taylormade? I've held a soft spot for a certain TM putter for years. So the brand impression is still good. My thoughts on mallet style putters has greatly improved after this experience. The Spider Si also changed my outlook on counterbalanced clubs. I thought it was just a gimmick and couldn't possibly offer the benefits that were being touted. As usual, I was wrong.

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model? Adjustable weights. Taylormade has put moveable weight tech into a lot of clubs over the years. Why not on this putter? The precedent was set wiith the original Spider. Give people the option to up the weight of the head by a few more grams. Put them out on the wings to let it customize for a particular swing arc. If putting a heavier wight on the heel and lighter on the toe works for drivers, I'm sure something could be similarly accomplished here.

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models? The counterbalancing. Consider my eyes opened. I'm wondering if there could also be a Itsy Bitsy Spider Si in the future using some denser materials to keep the same properties of the Si just smaller to appeal to guys like myself who might have been previously put off by the oversized mallets.

placeholder

JaxBeachPackerFan Review—TaylorMade Spider Si Putter

Unboxing/Initial Impressions

It sounds like Foz is enjoying, and playing well with, MY Cobra BioCell irons THAT I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE REVIEWING, ENJOYING AND WITH WHICH I WAS GOING TO KNOCK MULTIPLE STROKES OFF MY HANDICAP!!!  Oh, sorry for the outburst.  As many may recall, fate intervened in the MGS Forum Member Review of the new BioCell Irons and I received totally opposite spec irons to what I normally play (2 deg flat versus 1.5-2 deg upright).  Unplayable for me and way too much to rebend.

But fate also had me meeting up and playing golf a week after receipt with Foz, RevKev and Rookie.  And fate also had Foz being a natural flat spec player.  So fate provided the solution, and Foz graciously agreed to do the review in my stead. 

Then Karma (otherwise known as WD) took over.  A couple of weeks ago, got the invitation and opportunity to review the then soon-to-be released TaylorMade Spider Si counterbalanced putter!

We had to wait a couple of weeks, perhaps a bit longer than expected, particularly when TMag announced the release of the putter on Friday, April 4rd.  Well, what showed up in the afternoon delivery on the 4th, a TaylorMade shipping box!  It was wide. Not a single club box, so my immediate thought is we got one of those media packages the other TMag forum reviewers had received for their clubs. 

The Box.jpg

Well, sort of.  There was the putter, of course, encased in a plastic bag/sleeve.  And there was also a big, white tube of posterboard in which the putter was placed.  Pulling it out, it quickly became apparent it was a very large poster. 

It's a quite large poster of a putting green and some nice scenery, but the bottom quarter is heavily creased.  Quickly, I figured out its designed to hang on a wall with the part before the crease on the floor and the hole on the green is centered on the floor portion.  Clever, but you need a big straight wall and some heavy duty tape (or a wall you can put tacks in).  I live in a modernistic condo with curvy walls and window walls.  I'll see if the other guys set up their “green” to show how it works.  If not, I think I can jury rig something with alignment rods and the great room counter and will add that to the post.

There was nothing else in the box, no dvd, no pamphlet explaining what counterbalancing is or how it's supposed to work.  So, not really a media kit.

There was a big yellow sticker on the end of the putter yelling at you in all caps to CHOKE DOWN ON THIS PUTTER FOR OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE!  Apparently to get the benefit of the counterbalancing, this command is the only instruction accompanying the putter.

CHOKE DOWN.jpg

The putter itself is the most important thing here.  Its much longer that the average putter, I think 39 inches was the measurement for mine, but it is not long enough nor is it designed to be a belly putter or a Kuchar forearm putter.  The extra length, again, is to provide counterbalancing. 

It comes with a very nice black leather putter cover, rigid with a lot of substance to it.  I liked it a lot.

Setting up with it, it has a feel not a whole lot different than my current Odyssey Two Ball putter, which is good, and the head is pretty compact compared to some of the other ‘winged' and phlanged putters I have seen.  I like the simple yet bold black, white and red color scheme.  Guess what I'm saying is that it is pleasing to the eye.

Set up.jpg

The grip is long, as mentioned before, but feels to be standard sized thickness.  I recently had gone to the SuperStroke thick grip for my Odyssey, so I'm wondering whether that will be an option for these putters at some point.

I did this for my Cobra BioCells unboxing and I can't believe its still necessary two months later, but for those of you in the polar vortex or Snowmaggedon VII or VIII or whatever it is, here's a couple of pics of the putterhead with a little Florida beach sunshine!

Si Alien Fighter.jpg

Is this a StarWars alien fighter in fact??

So, my goals for this putter.  I have never, ever, been known as a great, or even good putter.  I go in good streaks where I'm passable to even almost good, then I go in streaks where I'm quite bad with the flatstick.  Generally, I'm more capable on long putts than short putts.  Can a counterbalanced putter help smooth out my stroke and get it on the line consistently??  I'm very anxious to find out.  I'm currently in one of my bad putting funks, so the Spider Si will have every opportunity to show its chops!!

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Counterbalanced Putter – Official MGS Forum Review by JaxbeachPackerFan

Putter4.jpg

I'm not a good putter, I admit it, have never been and have been somewhat resigned to that continuing to be a status quo.  I'm a 14.2 index (is that a mid or high handicapper??) and in doing many score and spreadsheet analyses over the years, I can attribute probably 2 and maybe 3 strokes of that handicap to strokes lost putting—three putts and birdies and saves not made.

On the other hand, I do have a couple of stretches a year where I do putt well for a 3-4 week period.  The long putts get closer, the stroke seems smooth and I actually feel comfortable on short putts.  So I know I have it in me, it's just capturing the feel. 

I've never had a putting lesson and I'm sure it would help because I'm never quite sure I've got the right grip, stance, ball position, etc., so I'm constantly fiddling with those with no standard to return to when things go south. 

I've also never looked to the putter to solve my woes.  I bought an Odyssey White Hot probably around 2000, retiring a Ping Anser that I had used for years.  Replaced that with an Odyssey 2-ball in 2009 and that's been it.  I did try the putters recommended in the MyGolfSpy Most Wanted Blade contest at the golf shop and liked (and bought) the Nike Method Core MC01w putter that won.  That putter lasted all of one round, but the Odyssey 2-ball did get the message and subsequently I went on one of those good putting streaks.

So, I approached this review opportunity without expectations that the new putter would all of a sudden make me a good putter.  But I was hopeful it could help minimize my two major putter faults—consistent stroke for distance control on the long putts and directional control on the short putts.  I miss left, I miss right, you'd think by random effects, some would go down the middle. 

Putter Front wball2.jpg

Performance

I can definitely feel some sort of difference with the counterbalancing.  Every one of my friends who has tried a couple of strokes with it remarks on how smooth it feels.  Does it affect the long putt performance?  I think so. 

Due to physical issues and some prior commitments, I haven't been able to have extended putting green sessions with the Spider Si, including putt by putt comparisons with the old putter (I was able to squeeze in one such session).  So, on course, actual rounds have been the sole testing scenarios.

That being said, my distance control with the Spider Si has been generally good on the longer putts.  At least, no putts way past the hole.  Several were short, but most were in the general proximity of the hole.  With my Odyssey 2-ball, if I got a little loose with the stroke, the putt would go significantly past the hole.  With the Spider Si, I don't seem to have those loose strokes.  Longer shaft?  The counterbalancing?

Accuracy.  Again, I think its pretty good.  The putts have gone generally where I hit them and the good putts have tracked great.  But the Odyssey 2-ball also is pretty accurate for me from distance as well, so no appreciable difference for me on the accuracy component.  I did have three what I thought were well hit putts that went the right distance but significantly to the right, but I'm attributing that to the indian, not the arrow, so to speak.  I mention that, however, because those were unusual misses for me, and it has happened multiple times.

Forgiveness.  This is not a factor that I focus on too much (including in the testing for this review).  It seems to me in my efforts, that I either have stroke pace/distance problems or face/path open closed problems.  With the putting stroke being a pretty short stroke, I don't notice not hitting the center of the putterface much.  Perhaps I do, but I'm not conscious of it.  Maybe my other problems outweigh the effects of slightly off center hits.  In my next couple of rounds, I'll pay particular attention to this and update the review if necessary.

But, I did experiment with trying to make a good stroke, but not on the center.  No perceptible difference on the hits toward the heel on either putter, both still seemed to go as intended, and the distance intended.  I did notice on limited sample size that the toe hits on the Odyssey tended to go either left as the toe hooked over or to the right as the ball opened the clubface.  Did not notice that as much with the Spider Si.  Both putters, in fact all my putters, are heel shafted putters.

Last Minute Update:  I wrote this review and got it ready for publication a couple of days ago.  Then I played yesterday.  It's only one round, but the Spider Si sure earned its stripes yesterday.  Two long putts holed, including a 50 ft putt, uphill at first then sharply breaking to the right.  Think Martin Kaymer's heroic putt on 17.  Very solid performance.  Upped the performance score by 5 points as a result.  Definitely got a good, smooth stroke going.

Long Putt Score: (out of 100)  95

Putter2.jpg

Looking back at my notes, I see that my observations on the mid putt performance are virtually the same as the long putt performance, across the board (except no ‘way rights').  So, I won't repeat it.  I will say that over an unfortunately limited number of rounds, six, that I had a higher than normal make percentage from the 15 to 20 foot range.  Actually, much higher.  So, a plus there.

Last Minute Update:  The Spider Si was also very solid on midrange putts yesterday, with at least three mid-range putts holed, only one jerk.  Upped the score below by 2 points.

Mid Putt Score: (out of 100)  95

Grip.jpg

Short Putt (

Here's where the Spider Si shines for me.  It took me 3 rounds to 1) get out of my recent putter funk, and 2) adjust to the putter without having the opportunity for any significant practice.  But after that, I've only missed one short putt that I should have clearly made in three rounds.  Not saying much for many of you, but for me, that's pretty outstanding.  I don't know whether it's the technology or the feel/looks (which are really good for me), but I've had a great deal of confidence and results on the sub five foot putts with the Spider Si.  I will say that some of the ones I have missed have gone a bit more beyond the cup than I would have liked (like having to make a serious putt again), so I'm still working on the distance control with this putter.  But I've put a lot of good, smooth strokes on the short ones with this putter.  And, that has not been the case with the Odyssey 2-ball.  As noted below, I think a lot of this is because it sets up and aligns better for me.  And, again, it could be the counterbalancing, but I'm not sure how that works, other than it's a very comfortable putter to use.

Last Minute Update:  Outstanding again, everything center of the cup except for one comebacker where I didn't mark and didn't go through my routine. 

Short Putt Score: (out of 100)  98

Putter Comp1.jpg

Total Performance Score: (average of long, middle and short putt scores)

Putter Comp2.jpg

Subjective

Looks

This is a very dramatic looking putter.  Looking down the putter, one sees the deep red (dare I say Badger Red?) extra long grip, and the sharp contrast of the brilliant white ‘wings' framing the matte black putter face and alignment sole plate.  Three bold white alignment lines on the sole plate exactly frame the ball and line up precisely with the gap between the wings.

The putter face is also dramatic. White border from the wings, a thin matte black border on top of and at the bottom of the insert, and the insert with a Badger Red paint background for the black composite strike plate.  The plate (for lack of a better word for the part on the insert that actually strikes the ball) has 10 horizontal groves that are actually quite deep (in other words, not milling-type groves).  This plate has a very “plastic” and shiny appearance to it, but appears to be quite durable—not a scratch, scrape or other blemish on the entire plate after one month of use.  Side note:  I do have to confess that I never really looked closely at the putter face until I started to write this review—and that was three weeks into its use—guess I'm more of a function guy.

From the bottom, the sole plate is also framed by the wings and is all black with the TM Ghost Spider Si logo centered on the alignment portion of the plate.

It's not traditional looking at all, which is usually my bias, but like the Cobra BioCell Irons, the techie look really seems to work for me in this instance.  I never have liked the appearance of the big mallet putters (Adam Scott's is the worst), but the way the wings swoop inward to a point reduces the blocky appearance and the business portion of the putter actually has a little bit of a blade type appearance at set up, which had always been my preference prior to the 2-ball. 

From a form and function design perspective, I'd have to give this an A+.

Putter Stance.jpg

I'm also a big fan of the putter cover.  It's got substance, like a soft box into which the putterhead is inserted.  It's fairly rigid, with about an inch and a half sides and a sturdy side panel that opens with an also sturdy Velcro three inch long tab.  (be careful opening this by the green, the Velcro is loud!).  The interior is covered with a black fuzzy material.  Three quarters of the top of the cover consists of a satiny black material upon which is embossed a cool looking spider.  The side quarter of the top is a red satiny strip (also Badger Red!) with the Spider Si logo.

Looks Score: (out of 100):  98

Putter and Case.jpg

Sound and Feel

I'm not a big sound guy.  I don't even notice how most clubs or putters sound, mine or my playing partners (that being said, I don't like my friend Mike's new Cleveland irons or John's Amp Cell irons, their irons always sound mishit as their shots soar to birdie putt range).  But this putter does sound way different than any putter I've used.  To me, it's noticeably more muted and softer.  My other three putters I've been referencing all have composite inserts, but the sound of those is definitely a higher pitched click.  Remember how I described the business portion of the insert as ‘plastic' looking?  Well, that's about how I'd describe the sound--a soft plastic instrument striking the ball.

Different, yes, objectionable, no.  Again, I hadn't noticed the difference until I started writing this review.  But after focusing on the sound, it is different.

There is a different feel to the impact with the ball which is akin to the different sound.  It does feel like a much softer impact—and I did notice this the first time I used the putter.  But, once again, this is not something that seems to matter to me.

Overall, the putter on setup and making the putting stroke is quite similar in general appearance and feel as my Odyssey 2-ball, which is good because there was very little adjustment for me in starting to use this putter.  It is definitely heavier than the 2-ball, but does not feel heavier during the stroke.  It does feel more stable in the stroke than the 2-ball, which may be the counterbalancing.  To contrast, the Nike Core Method putter I recently bought never felt good on setup, and feels heavier in both overall weight and in making the putting stroke. 

Sound and Feel Score: (out of 100)  91

Front View2.jpg

Would I purchase this putter?  Well, first I will say that this putter is not coming out of my bag.  And, after using it for a month, if I lost it or someone took it from me for writing an incompetent review, I would go out and replace it with another.  Would I go to a golf shop and purchase it for $200 after a few putts on the practice green?  Probably not, given that I don't replace putters very often and that is a pretty steep price for something that may or may not work.  However, if there were enough clearly favorable reviews out there before I went to the shop, I just might.  After all, I did that with the Nike Core Method putter based on the MyGolfSpy contest, although that was ‘only' $140.  If you approached me for a recommendation or endorsement and you were in the market for a putter, I'd say, “if you got the money, go for it.”

LOP Score: (out of 100)  80

Hole in one ball.jpg

(the Spider Si with my Hole-in-one ball!)

Subjective Notes

I've just started to use the putter to pick up the ball off the green (on the few occasions when it's not found the bottom of the cup (cough, cough))—that's a very cool and effective feature!

Total Subjective Score: (average of Looks, Sound & Feel, and LOP Scores)

PickerUpper.jpg

Conclusion

I like this putter.  I still miss a lot of putts due to my stroke deficiencies and still should take a putting lesson to develop a definite and repeatable stroke, but this putter has clearly helped me get a proper on-line stroke more often (its so frustrating not having the ball go where you aim it), particularly on the less than 10 ft putts.  It is much easier to get to a position where I feel the face is properly aligned with the intended line than the 2-ball.  (the 2-ball graphic helps in taking the putter back on line, but I've had difficulty with it on setting with the face square—and I really struggled to get comfortable with a square set up with the Nike Method Core).  So, that factor alone makes this putter a winner.

The last observation is to reiterate what I mentioned above in the looks section.  The alignment lines are almost exactly ball width extending back an inch and a half from the putter face.  But then, there are also the wings, and the slight flange at the end of the wings, which end with a gap between the two wings also almost exactly a ball width apart.  Visually, this creates an alignment channel extending 3+ inches behind the putterface, but without any mass for the last portion of the channel.  This provides additional alignment aid to me without the clunky look or feel it would have if it were solid the entire distance.  Form and function again.

To conclude, you may notice that the two elements I really love about this putter, ease of setting up square and the visual effectiveness of the design as an alignment aide, have nothing to do with the most trumpeted feature of the putter—counterbalancing.  I'm not sure yet what that does or doesn't do for me.  I'd be interested to see whether I'd like this putter as much with a standard, non-counterbalanced shaft.  The effects of counterbalancing and noticing what happens on off center hits are what I will be focusing on during the final steps of this review process.

Last Minute Update:  I know one round is not sufficient to judge a putter or golf club.  Prior to yesterday, I really liked this putter and felt it help improve my putting.  Yesterday, I think I finally meshed with it.  I now really love this putter.  Hopefully, the love affair will continue!

Total Score: (average Performance and Subjective Scores)

Bottom View.jpg

The Five

1.     Will this putter go in your bag? Why or why not?

It's already in the bag and its not coming out.  High comfort level with the set-up and feel and discernable performance improvement on the shorter putts.

2.     To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this putter? Why?

Pretty much anybody with the scratch to afford it.  But, in particular, anyone who struggles to keep the face square at set up and/or through the stroke.

3.     How, if at all, did this putter change your overall impression of TaylorMade?

Not at all—as you can see in my signature, except for the wedges and the aforementioned Odyssey 2-ball, my entire bag is TMag (I frequently even use their Lethal balls).

4.     What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

Can't think of a thing.

5.     What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models? 

The ball pickerupper function is great!  I'd like to see a Superstroke type grip option.

placeholder :ph34r:

OK - posted my first installment... first time doing this, so I hope I did it correctly.   :blush:

Nice work Marc, you'd never know it was your first time.

I'll put in my request for you to bring it with to the Boys and Girls club tourney in May :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My unboxing is up!

Really looking forward to these reviews, good job so far guys

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Oh, and not a single mention yet by the reviewers of the fact that this putter has a ball scoop?? Coming from the land of mallets, that's a rare thing. The Odyssey Sabertooth was the king in this category.

attachicon.gifputter_ball.jpg

That never occurred to me!  See, told you all I needed an instruction manual for this thing!

Hahaha - I was saving that for the guts of my review - I love the scoop!

it looks pretty nice

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

• 3 weeks later...

Nice review. I've tried the Si and it does feel really good but that's interesting about the insert and sand. For length, 38" is hard to use. I'm 6'0" and I used a 38" putter for a little while, it sucks to use with a jacket or even a baggy shirt. I'm slim so it doesn't matter what body shape you are, it's annoying either way. I'd like to see how the 35" model would work and if it makes a difference in alignment and performance.

Great writeup Marc!  I have a Spider S Slant that has the same issues you mentioned.  Frequently have to pick sand out of the insert and the white paint chips very easily.  I've looked into removing the white, but there are a lot of nooks and cranny's that I think would make removal very difficult.  The best I've been able to find to cover the dings is white out.  The color match fairly well.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Archived