Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

A Season of Change: Why You Suck at Golf

Tony Covey MGS

Here's another good read, but I can never find it. By Jack Nicklaus, I think it was called "duffer's guide to bogey golf"

Best course management book I ever read.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I'll tell you who doesn't suck, Jordan Spieth.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

glaciergolf (Custom).jpg

The first round of the year is in the books, and let's just say it didn't go well. 

The long winter was brutal on my home course, and it's probably going to take a solid month before things are close to good. The 7th hole (shown in the picture) still has a small glacier in the middle of the fairway (roughly 6 inches thick), the greens were top-dressed at the end of the season. They're sandy, bumpy, and horribly inconsistent. I have several 3 putts, but so did everyone else I played with.

I have a temporary driver in the bag right now. It's a driver I like, but I've decided to be less obsessive over every RPM, 10th of a degree of launch, and every half yard of distance. Instead, I'm going to experiment with a driver I love and see if I can't get myself dialed in to a happy place. Parts and pieces are on the way, and I hope to have the first iteration in the bag by next weekend, if not sooner.

Given what's out in the marketplace right now, if Plan A doesn't work, there's a decent chance I'll go back to my Amp Cell Pro from last year minus 1/2" off of whatever shaft goes into it. If BiO Cell+ felt the same, I might have taken a look at that. I suppose the Tour-only BiO Cell "Pro" could be an option as well.

A Mini Revolution

TaylorMade-SLDR-Mini-Driver-2.jpg

The one consistent bright spot in the round was the TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver. Certainly I mocked it a bit when TaylorMade announced the new club, but after hitting it on short 4s and 5s, and unreachable 5s, I've quickly seen the benefits. I grossly topped 1 off the tee, and equally grossly fatted another, but everything else (5 tee shots) wasn't just in the fairway, they were in the middle of the fairway. It's controllable, and mostly long enough.

Even though I said I wouldn't, I hit it off the deck twice as well. Accuracy could be improved (I'd say that about any 3 wood I hit), but both balls were well struck. It's definitely an option.

What only went in the bag as a curiosity, is staying there for now as a serious option on half a dozen holes.

TaylorMade-SLDR-Mini-Driver-13.jpg

Jose's Wedge Again

joses wedge.JPG

As has almost become a comedic tradition in nearly every round of golf I played, I chipped in for par with my 60° Tour Trusty. Cobra PUMA's Jose Miraflor did the grind for me. It's quickly become the best high lofted wedge I've ever had in my bag. 

Owned By The 2nd Shot

Adams wants us to own the shot, but yesterday, the 2nd shot pwned me.

The second shot did me in all day (unless the 2nd was actually the 3rd after driving the ball OB with the full size driver). I'm still getting the feel for the SpeedBlades, and two balls that I thought were well-struck went about a mile high (and a half a mile short). Not sure if it's a spin problem, or a lack of feedback from the SpeedBlade/Recoil combo.

It's hard to make par when you don't hit greens.

The shafts feel great, and are certainly less harsh than steel. The SpeedBlade experiment is far from over, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my gamers when I started to struggle.

Fitness is an Issue

Granted it's one round, but it's clear that the long winter has had an impact on me physically. I need to do some work to get some flexibility back into my lower body, and build a little bit of strength into my lower body and core. It's not hard to do, but the exercise piece has never been my thing. I don't enjoy it.

Day 1 wasn't much, but at least it was golf.

TaylorMade-SLDR-Mini-Driver-1-2.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Glad you got out for a round T, our latest round of snow is now melted and the course just reopened today. Built my Speedblades this weekend and hoping I can sneak away from Easter long enough to try them out today.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Nice star T really.

You've inspired me with this thread. I'm great on managing my game on the course but I've over thought myself into a mess in the bag. I am seriously entertaining enrolling in a doctoral program through my church body's St. Louis seminary so that will satisfy the thinking part of me.

I'm simplifying on the course beyond a doubt. Went for round two with the launch monitor. Golfsmith was dead, my buddy was on so we went at it for an hour or so. Hit the xtd, xtd forged and the speed blade. I brought my 6 iron as a control and we used relatively new lethals from my bag.

5 swings with it averaged 161, I always say my ideal 6 iron distance is 162 so I was about on with my swing. I was very, very accurate.

I averaged about the same with the xtd forged. My eyes love those clubs. But I pull drew them significantly.

Same held true with the regular xtd which had the projects in. More offset, more pull hook. Remember I'm bagging either i20s or 800pros.

Last came speed blades. Killed them, loved them and remarkably the ones I hit best were with a very light shaft. (I wasn't looking at what my buddy gave me I was just hitting them.). I averaged just a tick under 170 really nice launch and spin rates. He let me take the demo to the range and I hit it great there too. I wish I could have tried it into the wind though. Predictably I pulled it because the lie was standard but every shot looked the same. High and straight, point and shoot. The sound didn't bother because I'm half deaf any way.

The shock of the day was the hybrid to that set. Holy you know what!!!!

I averaged 200 with that thing, just about what I get out of my 4 wood. Oh and straighter, way easier to hit.

I will try them one more time but it's looking like speed blades for me. I got my swing speed into the mid 70s and was hitting it 100 ft high. That's like subtracting 10-15 years of age for me in regards to distance and flight.

Now to find a fairway wood. I have these two par fives that I used to reach when I moved here that would be back in play with the SLDR and a fairway that I could hit a bit higher.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hello ladies!!! :D

It's nice to be back!

Got a new job and been working my ass (for a change :D ) so there has been little time for internet and golf...

But this year looks promising, joined a new home course and work is stabilizing itself providing more free time.

I used to play about 4 times a week, but now will probably be limited to 1 practice evening during weekdays and play Sat's and Sun's.

This is my new home course's birdie book:

http://www.gut-waldhof.de/fileadmin/Dateien-Martin/Birdiecard.pdf

Distances in Europe are given in meters, so multiply by 1.09 for yardage.

They also have it as video version:

http://www.gut-waldhof.de/video-birdiebook-golf-hamburg.html

It's really nice to "see" some familiar faces around here... and new faces, too! Hope you guys are doing great as well!

So back to topic :P

My game is similar to Marc's old game... been shooting between 90's for over a year and cant' seem to bring it down. I'll have the occasional 85 round once every full-moon. I wish I could get down to 6 in a season... man that is awesome!

I know why I suck... I just haven't been able to correct the problems :D

1. My accuracy off the tee is killing me. I used to slice it OB a lot. Squaring the clubface is OK now, but I have a horrendous outside-in swing. So instead of slicing OB, I'm pulling OB. When I do my preshot routine (calmly) I feel it goes inside-out, but as soon as I swing for real, it's outside-in again. Man this pisses me off. Swing easier you say? I try, but then it feels like I'm not getting the distance I'm supposed to be hitting. I have a 95mph driver SS, according to the pro, the shaft I'm using might be too much for me to handle?

2. Same issue with irons. Last season I was so confident with my iron play. I would attack 190 yard greens with a 4 iron with relatively high success rate. Now I only see outside-in divots 6 out of 10 shots. And I noticed I've lost some distance. I attribute this to the still cold weather (about 10-15 C) and last time I played was October 2013, so it's like starting all over again.

3. I'm having trouble finding consistency with my 50*, 54* and 58* wedges. The variation between full swings can range from 5 to 20 yards. That's crazy... it's so maddening, that I've been playing with my PW with half and 3/4 swings. Why the hell do I even have 3 wedges then?

4. Chips and putts are acceptable.

5. Finally, I've always hated playing with shovels... but lately, I've been wondering if I should give up on my MP59 and find something more forgiving? Granted, I've only played 2 rounds this year... but wonder if it'll get better? I think by the time I figure it out, it will be October again and a long 6 month winter break.

Again, nice to be back, ladies! Man I missed this place!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Welcome back to the forums and the game. I hope the new gig is going well. I wouldn't monkey with equipment until you've had some time to get back into it. Good luck.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Hey dudes!

I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to buy new gear :P

But you are right, I'll try to get my swing back before switching gear. If by the end of the season I'm still stuck shooting 90's, I'll have the entire winter to go shopping :D

Cheers!

Damn I have so much reading and catching up to do... you guys should write less :P

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

Thanks, RP!

So now every Wednesday, I drive my wife to her ladies golf team practice (I know, coach said she has potential, I'm a lost case hahaha)

I brought an 8i and 4i with me, cause honestly... what else am I gonna do during the 2 hour practice?

Did chipping and half swings with my 8i and then hit the range.

Focused 100% on swing path... first 10 balls were still pulled, but the rest were dead straight! Golf is fun again!

Playing my first tournament of the year upcoming Sunday... hope to suck a little less :D

I've sold off enough stuff that my spare room might be livable again and so I just pulled the trigger on a set of speed blades.  Got them with very light graphite, M flex (alright that's senior), 2 flat, 2 extra wraps on my grip - 5-PW $675.

This is what I've hit on the monitor three times now and absolutely killed.  I think I've reached that point in life where lighter is better. 

BTW I played great yesterday, shot 71 but on a par 69.  It's amazing what happens to one's game when you practice and play.  I didn't play today but I went to the green for some serious work - The only gap wedge I currently own is a rocketbladz graphite - it's so light that it's going to take some getting used to plus I need to go and have it bent flat also.

So T may be play GI irons but I'm going to senior flex shafts in my irons and probably will follow in my hybrids and fairway wood.  Talk about laying aside the pride.

BTW I averaged 249 off the tee yesterday with the SLDR.  I've gained at least 10 if not 15 yards with that club.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

If our weather ever gets consistently "golfable" that will be a big plus for me.  So far, I've only been able to play 45 actual holes, with a couple of outdoor range sessions.  Having the GC2 to practice over the winter is a big help for me, but indoor practice only helps to a point.  There's nothing like hitting on actual turf and, of course, hitting off a mat doesn't help for bunker play, uneven lies, etc.

I WAS able to play an entire round on my new home course Friday (first time I've ever played this course) and was at least playing bogey golf for the most part and keeping my tee shots in play.  The back nine wasn't as good and it will take some time and work to get myself in physical and mental shape to play well for a full 18.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

If our weather ever gets consistently "golfable" that will be a big plus for me.  So far, I've only been able to play 45 actual holes, with a couple of outdoor range sessions.  Having the GC2 to practice over the winter is a big help for me, but indoor practice only helps to a point.  There's nothing like hitting on actual turf and, of course, hitting off a mat doesn't help for bunker play, uneven lies, etc.

I WAS able to play an entire round on my new home course Friday (first time I've ever played this course) and was at least playing bogey golf for the most part and keeping my tee shots in play.  The back nine wasn't as good and it will take some time and work to get myself in physical and mental shape to play well for a full 18.

I so don't miss those days. Have a great season!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I so don't miss those days. Have a great season!

Thanks, I'm sure once the weather gets straightened out, it's gonna be a gas! ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• SPY VIP

So I'm about 2 full weeks deep into the season. I've played 18 3-times and 9 a couple more times beyond that.

Scores are starting to drop...finally, but #2 and #3 have been a constant battle with futility. I'm now 1 for 5 on NOT GOING OB on #2, and the 1 was simply a matter of a lucky bounce off a tree...I should be 0 for 5. The hole is in my head right now, and while it's a long par 4, I may have to start playing it like a par 5 and take less club of the tee until I exorcise the demons.

#3 isn't much better. It's a long par 3 (usually about 220). I haven't gone OB yet, but I haven't exactly come close to a tolerable score either. I'm only playing the back 9 tonight, and won't be around this weekend, so perhaps a week away from the front will help.

As far as the new gear goes...there are times when I love the SpeedBlades (long irons are most definitely super-forgiving), and times when I hate them (mostly short iron shots). They don't look right...and they don't feel right, but for the betterment of my game, I'm going to try and roll with it for a bit longer and see if it's me or the clubs.

The UST Recoil shafts are phenomenal in terms of feel, and dispersion on anything but a dead shank or over-the-top garbage is tight. They do mask mishits a bit more than I'm used to, and with the SpeedBlade heads are launching higher and spinning more than what I'm accustomed to. I like them, but I'm undecided for the long term. On the downside, the finish is already starting to show bits of wear from going in and out of the bag. Small things, right?

I've played the last several rounds with my AMP Cell Pro in the bag. It's still proving to very long, but the shafts are cut to 45.5", and the plan was always to play something else, which brings me to...

Covert 2-1.jpg

I've got 2 of 3 shafts to try in this. Everything is the 70/75g model and cut to play at 45". I'm going to eyeball it on the range tonight and see what I like better, but eventually I'll spend some time on the launch monitor to see what works best. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I love the looks of this driver, and I've ALWAYS hit Nike drivers well, so I'm excited to give this a go this year. I'm using the headcover from the VR Limited simply because of the awesome (and so people remember how awesome the Limited is).

Finally, it's been a struggle to make better decisions. I still make bad choices on the course. And I know they're stupid before I go with it, but it's been difficult to fight the urge to be a total moron. The one area where I'm seeing improvement is inside of 80 yards. In the past sand or lob wedge would have been automatic, now I'm taking, gap, pitching wedge, and even 9 irons and flighting them down while giving myself more margin for error. It's paying off immediately.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Cool thread, however, I don't think I can post here.  I have made changes and no longer suck.  I have eliminated my big miss and feel very confident that my handicap will drop those final stroke to reach my goal.  My stated goal was to be a 0 handicap by my 50th birthday.  I need to play well these next two weeks.  Haha.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Cool thread, however, I don't think I can post here. I have made changes and no longer suck. I have eliminated my big miss and feel very confident that my handicap will drop those final stroke to reach my goal. My stated goal was to be a 0 handicap by my 50th birthday. I need to play well these next two weeks. Haha.

Play well Man. Play well.

I'm just hoping to play period. Maybe this weekend.....

Play well Man. Play well.

I'm just hoping to play period. Maybe this weekend.....

Hear hear! I'm with you Blade, but I know it won't be this weekend, got a ton still to do around the house and I still haven't regripped my clubs...including the irons that got new shafts.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Only 9 holes this week, temp at 33* and raining now...  At least when I played, I really felt comfortable with my irons and showing improvement with my wedges.  Hitting off a mat inside definitely helps, but I really need to start hitting off of turf, uneven lies, bunkers, etc. to get beyond bogey golf.

At least the forecast shows we're moving into the 60* range this upcoming week, so regular golf is getting closer!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Ta da! Shot an 85 last Thursday :)

Ta da! Shot an 85 last Thursday :)

Very good!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm going to start a seperate thread for this but I believe there is something major that T has neglected here.  How about taking lessons?  Not only was he playing less forgiving irons than Anna Nordquist I'm betting that she takes more lessons in a week than he has the past year. 

My pro retired and has health issues and I haven't bothered to replace him since moving to Florida.  It's starting to show.  I've been interviewing some potential teachers and will have a lesson a week from tomorrow with the guy whom I selected. 

Lessons may well trump equipment issues.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived