TESTERS WANTED! ×

climachill - the adidas Golf STORY OF THE YEAR!

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP
adidas climachill-2.jpg

I know…it's almost ridiculous to use apparel and story of the year in the same sentence, but for whatever its worth, my adidas guy is telling me that their new climachill polo is their big apparel story for 2014. 

Please contain your excitement until the end.

As far as apparel stories go, this is HUGE (I'm right on the edge of using the blink tag). It's so huge in fact that it actually deserves a better headline. 

Unfortunately they (adidas golf guy) weren't really keen on my original idea:

adidas Golf Wants to Press its Tiny Metal Nipples Into Your Neck

And so I went with this apparel story of the year thing, but tiny metal nipples is better, right? It grabs you.

And so here I am, once again, trying to get you guys excited about yet another $75 Polo. 

adidas climachill-7.jpg

So here goes:

Seriously…adidas has done something really cool with this new line of climachill polos…cooling dots, titanium fibers, something about mesh, and mostly solid style. 

This shirt is seriously a polo worth reading about. 

Excited yet? 

Fortunately, I've got the nipple thing to fall back on. 

For years now apparel companies have been talking about their various magic fabrics. It's lightweight, it wicks away moisture, it's breathable…stop me if you've heard any of this before.  All of it…right. Moving on.

In many ways the new climachill isn't any different. It is lightweight, the climachill fabric “acts like an open mesh”, which means it's well ventilated, and designed to draw heat away from the body. As you might expect from the name, climachill is designed to keep you cool.

adidas climachill-9.jpg

Get to the Part About the Nipples Already...

The most prominent feature of the new climacool polo is a smattering of aluminum (A-loo-min-ee-um for my British friends – I don't actually have any British friends, surprised?) cooling dots located inside the neck and collar of the shirt.

The idea is that the dots stay cool and stay pressed against your skin, which in turn helps you keep cool. I actually wouldn't know if they actually work because apparently I wore the shirt wrong the first time.

Yes...apparently you can wear a shirt wrong without putting it on backwards.

These cooling dot things (metal nipples) require skin contact to do their thing (keep you cool), and so climachill isn't supposed to be worn with an undershirt, which is what I did. And ha ha, adidas (and more specifically adidas Golf Director of Global Apparel Product Marketing, Davide “Superfluous E”  - or Super E for short - Mattucci), it was an Under Armour t-shirt.

adidas climachill-10.jpg

Want more Dav? Mattucci and Jason Day both have more to say in the press release below.

So anyway, yup…apparently I'm the chode who somehow managed to wear a polo shirt wrong. Dumbest guy in golf. Don't be like me…let your moobs jiggle freely, climachill demands it.

Assisting in the cooling equation are titanium fibers that are actually woven into the shirt to maximize the connection between you and the shirt. Titanium and cooling dots…in a shirt. Can't say I've seen it before.

Here's the Deal
The adidas guys swear by this shirt…like genuinely believe they've created a technologically advanced polo. Like I said, I can't yet comment on the effectiveness of the shirt, because I wore it wrong, and because it really wasn't that hot anyway…and I had beer, so you know.

I do like the idea though, and come August when it's 95° and humid as the inside of a mystery wrinkle on My 600-lb Life, I may find myself actually loving it. In the mean time I'll just sit and wonder about where they might place the dots next. I've got some ideas.

I will definitely wear the climachill out on the course (and wear it the right way) over the next few days, but really…even if the aluminum cooling dots don't climachill you any better than the other metal-less and nipple-less shirts out there, you've still got yourself a nice polo that, total outrage aside, isn't much (or any) more expensive than any other premium golf polo offering.

adidas climachill-12.jpg

Another @itsthejor Media Kit

adidas golf PR guy Jory Mendes is a legend (primarily in his own mind, but a legend nonetheless) when it comes to creating some of the most seriously badass, over-the-top media kits going right now. You have to respect a company where one guy says "hey, let's ship a polo out to media...in a mini fridge". And then another guy...or girl...doesn't matter, is like "yeah, that's a fabulous idea", and then a 3rd guy...probably Mattucci is like "ok, but the fridge has to actually work...like actually cool stuff".

Everybody nods in agreement, and this happens:
adidas climachill-3.jpg
adidas climachill-5.jpg

Like somebody said...it has to actually work:

adidas climachill-4.jpg
adidas climachill-6.jpg

And before we get to the adidas official stuff, here's a few more pics.

adidas climachill-8.jpg
adidas climachill-10.jpg
adidas climachill-11.jpg
adidas climachill-12.jpg
adidas climachill-13.jpg
adidas climachill-14.jpg

Official Press Release

adidas Golf Introduces Innovative climachill Apparel Collection

Exclusive Fabric Technology is Company's Most Breathable Material Ever, Delivering Cooling Sensation and Superior Breathability

Carlsbad, Calif. (May 13, 2014) â€“ adidas Golf, an industry leader in innovation, technology and performance footwear and apparel, has announced the release of the new climachill apparel collection, featuring new and exclusive fabric technologies designed to keep golfers cool when temperatures rise on the course.

Designed and developed to raise performance levels by helping regulate body temperatures, adidas Golf engineers have revolutionized golf apparel technology with proprietary climachill fabric, engineering the most breathable material the company has ever incorporated into its apparel lines.

image001.jpg

Delivering a cooling sensation upon contact with the skin, small aluminum dots were strategically located inside the back neck, one of the warmest areas on the human body. The climachill fabric construction utilizes woven titanium fibers that maximize surface contact with skin. Remarkably light, climachill fabric acts like an open mesh to increase air permeability, drawing heat away from the body and allowing for unmatched ventilation and evaporation of sweat to keep golfers cool like never before.

climachill apparel first appeared on the PGA TOUR at The Players Championship earlier this month, and the technology will be featured prominently in the scripting of Sergio Garcia, Dustin Johnson and Jason Day throughout the remainder of the 2014 PGA TOUR season.

“When the temperatures rise, I need apparel that will keep me cool, comfortable and focused on my play,” said Jason Day, 2014 WGC-Accenture Match Play Champion. “I'm amazed by the technology adidas Golf has incorporated into their apparel, and with climachill, not only can I see the technology, I can feel it, too.”

image002.jpg

“We're consistently looking to develop the most innovative products to keep athletes comfortable so they can focus on performance,” said Davide Mattucci, Director, Global Apparel Product Marketing for adidas Golf. “The climachill fabric is, by far, our most advanced to date and the benefits are actually developed at the microscopic level. It looks and feels like a solid performance fabric, but breathes like an open-air mesh. Once someone feels it, the difference is undeniable.”

The climachill apparel collection includes five men's polos and three women's polos with an MSRP ranging from $75-$80 USD. Available now, visit adidasgolf.com to learn more about climachill technology and to view the entire apparel collection.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Hmmm. Aluminum does work as a great heat sink. But what happens when the sun on your back adds more heat to them than your skin? Little hot dots?

I dunno...Theoretically wouldn't the reflective nature of the nipples bounce back most of the suns rays, not absorbing the heat energy like something on the opposite end of the spectrum (e.g.  a black shirt)

As long as the ambient air temp is lower than the temp of skin surface, and the shirt it s white or very light color i would guess it would work... if only to a very minimal extent.

I'm more worried about the big picture impact.  If they start pricing these by nipple count i'm switching brands.  Everybody will be one upping each other all the time.  "nipple count, nipple size, nipple shape, aluminum purity"...I just cant get sucked in to another nipple competition.  :huh:

• SPY VIP

Hmmm. Aluminum does work as a great heat sink. But what happens when the sun on your back adds more heat to them than your skin? Little hot dots?

What the adidas guys are telling me is that aluminum is not a heat conductor so it won't be an issue. 

Actually makes sense...I barehand aluminium foil out of the toaster oven all the time.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Actually it's a good heat conductor. As a result the heat dissipates quickly compared to steel. So yea, it wouldn't burn like steel dots. The idea just made me chuckle. I would like to try it actually.

I dunno...Theoretically wouldn't the reflective nature of the nipples bounce back most of the suns rays, not absorbing the heat energy like something on the opposite end of the spectrum (e.g.  a black shirt)

As long as the ambient air temp is lower than the temp of skin surface, and the shirt it s white or very light color i would guess it would work... if only to a very minimal extent.

I'm more worried about the big picture impact.  If they start pricing these by nipple count i'm switching brands.  Everybody will be one upping each other all the time.  "nipple count, nipple size, nipple shape, aluminum purity"...I just cant get sucked in to another nipple competition.  :huh:

Haha! That's funny!

I want to try this shirt out, it's an interesting concept. I had this Ogio shirt which had these two metal dots on the shoulders and every time I put it on, the dots felt cold. The dots were a lot larger than the ones here but if it does the same thing then I can see this working. Also, that is an awesome presentation with the fridge.

That little fridge is cool

I want to try this shirt out, it's an interesting concept. I had this Ogio shirt which had these two metal dots on the shoulders and every time I put it on, the dots felt cold. The dots were a lot larger than the ones here but if it does the same thing then I can see this working. Also, that is an awesome presentation with the fridge.

Yeah, that little fridge is cool.

I'm not fussed on the shirt, but I do like the fridge.

Yeah, nipples, smipples- I want that little fridge. Do they come in red?

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Putting the shirt in a fridge - an actual working fridge - is the same as saying "we know the shirt is crap but look at the presentation!"

Thermodynamic textiles is a great idea. And I believe in the technology. But the aluminum dots? Not sure if I get this right - aluminum is a very good conductor and will transfer heat away from the body when it comes in contact with your skin. I think you'll need a lot more surface area to see any effect. 

I love it when they release a product that offers heavenly rewards for the user and we have no way at all to test if it actually works :) Please don't do a review of the aluminum dots. That's THP-level. "I definitely felt cooler when wearing this shirt with the dots that promises to keep me cooler". 

By the way - the tennis shirt with the same tech costs under $50. Must be more money in golf :D

Its a great idea I would love to try out, and there is no reason to stop at shirts, shorts and pants too!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I can't be the only one who wants this in the waist band of my boxers...

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I can't be the only one who wants this in the waist band of my boxers...

Haha! Well, unless you're only wearing boxers with no pants over them, it wouldn't work. If the dots were covered up they wouldn't be able to get rid of any heat to keep pulling heat away from you. If only.........

• 3 weeks later...

Can we have an update here on how they preform on the course. I want to know before I drop full price on any golf shirt!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Can we have an update here on how they preform on the course. I want to know before I drop full price on any golf shirt!

Budget golf has them for under full price

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

What are the fits of the shirt?  Do they run large since they are creating an airflow in the shirt?  I am still peeved that they did away with the formotion line of clothing.  Adidas now has no form fitting line at all

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

• 1 month later...

A long delayed review: Had a deal for 50% off at the Adidas store - bought one and 2doz TPX balls. I've worn mine for about 4 rounds now, and I notice no difference compared to any other "tech" shirt out there. On a particularly hot sunny day, I did notice the little dots heating up. Especially so while standing in the sun waiting for people to putt. There was no breeze, and the shirt wasn't resting right on my back (little gap between my shoulders), I hunched over to putt and got a little sting. It happened enough for me to relegate the shirt to cloudy days. It is the black shirt, so that might be part of the problem. But for the price they want, I'm not buying any more.

The Tour Preferred X Balls on the other hand are fantastic. I'll be buying a lot more. 

A long delayed review: Had a deal for 50% off at the Adidas store - bought one and 2doz TPX balls. I've worn mine for about 4 rounds now, and I notice no difference compared to any other "tech" shirt out there. On a particularly hot sunny day, I did notice the little dots heating up. Especially so while standing in the sun waiting for people to putt. There was no breeze, and the shirt wasn't resting right on my back (little gap between my shoulders), I hunched over to putt and got a little sting. It happened enough for me to relegate the shirt to cloudy days. It is the black shirt, so that might be part of the problem. But for the price they want, I'm not buying any more.

The Tour Preferred X Balls on the other hand are fantastic. I'll be buying a lot more. 

Not surprising. That was the first thing I thought of when I read about them.  

I saw them in the store and saw the dots are covered with a thin layer of fabric to keep the sun off them. Sounds like that's not enough to keep them from getting hot. Although I must say, I'm surprised they even make the shirt in black. That's rather counter productive for what they are attempting to accomplish. 

Archived