Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Forum Member Reviews! Custom Bobby Jones Driver, FW, Hybrid!

GolfSpy WD

Better news at the sports doc, as the VA wanted my shoulder immobilized for 3 weeks before rehabbing it. MRI doesn't show any "major" issues and since I don't have any real pain issues, I can start low impact rehab as long as I keep my arm below 90%. I was lucky, since it moved back in place on its own and I didn't tear the rotator cuff or anything.

Dr is also a golfer and short game practice is approved, he'll see me again in 2 weeks to see if I'm ready to move up to full swings.

If I needed any more incentive to focus on my short game, this is it!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I'm limited by my gimpy shoulder, there's not a lot I can do with the Blackbirds right now, although I did take the hybrid with me to the short game area yesterday and wanted to note that I was able to make solid contact with it for some bump and run.

I'm only able to putt and use about 1/4 swing for some short chips and bump & run, for now, but maybe by the time I'm approved for full swinging, I'll be comfortable enough with the hybrid to add it to the bag after all.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I was hoping the Dr would give me the OK to start full swings yesterday but, despite being lucky with how fast I'm improving, he wants me to limit myself to half swings until he sees me again on Aug 4th. Despite being frustrated about dislocating my shoulder during golf season, I'll be extremely happy if I'm able to play again 32 days after my "boo-boo."

I'm fortunate, that at 61, I've got Gumby's body type.

I'm SO looking forward to hitting the driver with the stiffer shaft I put in it!!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got the OK to start playing again!!  I've had to adjust my swing a bit, I'm definitely swinging "flatter" than I was before knocking my shoulder out of place, so I'm having to readjust my aim point and will likely need to get the lie angle changed on my irons and wedges, if this adjustment is long term.

The good news is, I'm hitting the Bobby Jones clubs pretty well!  I feel like the shaft change in the driver was a good decision, the 3 wood is still reliable and going long (for me) ;) and I've even added the 25* hybrid to my bag, as it's easier for me to hit with a more "sweeping" swing!

I've played 2 rounds of 9 since Friday and went for a full 18 yesterday.  The shoulder is still a work in progress, but it's great to be on the course again.

Now, I've got to make up for the downtime - lol

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 9 months later...

Since I just put the Bobby Jones hybrid in my bag again, and I think it will stick this time, I thought I should update this thread.

Despite the shaft change in the driver and the 13* loft, the Blackbird couldn't best the carry and distance of the Titleist 913 D2 matched with the Paderson shaft.  Not in the bag.

The Blackbird fairway wood basically matched the distance of the Titleist hybrid I started to carry this year and the hybrid offers more flexibility, so it's out of the bag as well.

The Blackbird hybrid is a surprise, since it was the club I originally had difficulty striking consistently and didn't play on the course after the review period ended.  I seem to find myself in the rough more often on my new "home course" at the distance I'd usually use my 4i and decided I'd be better off with a hybrid.  I'm not even sure why, probably a swing change after dislocating my left shoulder last year, but I'm now striking the hybrid well!

Nearly one year later, the one Blackbird in the bag, is the hybrid.  And I like it ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived