Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Precision in Putting

golfball

Hey guys,

I am really desperate. I've been playing golf for a couple of years now and I recently discovered some kind of stroking or shivering at my putting arm. I've never had that before, however it now deters me from putting precisely. Do you know any method that can heal that kind of stroking?? What could be done against it??

Thank you for your answers :)

I'm assuming your refering to something along the lines of a yip? quick fixes usually mean a grip change to something that will neutralise that hand during the stroke, or a putter grip change to something like the superstroke that does the same thing. Long term fixes are a lot harder however and require a lot of reprogramming on the mental side

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I started having some "yip" issues this spring, as well.  I seem to have improved this week by putting the ball further out in my stance (right about center of my left foot) which makes me extend my left arm more completely when I make contact with the ball.  My putting has been much better in both accuracy and distance control since I started doing this a few days ago.

Hope this helps!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

If you've got the yips, don't resort to changing the putting stroke, putter, grip or any of that voodoo. They'll come back and they'll come back worse. The yips are purely mental. Always have been, always will be. There's tons of studies on the yips, and ways to cure them, etc. buddy of mine tried everything under the sun. Then he read an article on EFT and tried it and boom, fixed it by following the tapping technique described in the below article (there's a link inside the article that shows the tapping technique and locations).

http://golfstateofmind.com/how-to-cure-the-yips/

Hope it helps

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

If you've got the yips, don't resort to changing the putting stroke, putter, grip or any of that voodoo. They'll come back and they'll come back worse. The yips are purely mental. Always have been, always will be. There's tons of studies on the yips, and ways to cure them, etc. buddy of mine tried everything under the sun. Then he read an article on EFT and tried it and boom, fixed it by following the tapping technique described in the below article (there's a link inside the article that shows the tapping technique and locations).

http://golfstateofmind.com/how-to-cure-the-yips/

Hope it helps

I'm going to have to a have a read of that, I have a yip in my right hand which was causing all sorts of problems for me. My teaching pro found it easily and got me to switch to the claw as a way to neutralize my right hand during the stroke so even if it does twitch it didnt alter the face angle.

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Ok for me there are at least two aspects to trembling hands/yips - I have experienced both so feel reasonably safe in talking about them.

1. As most regular members know I have medical issues that cause my left leg and arm/hand to shake. I was born with this to a lesser extent (my brother is the same) but after a back injury and surgery it is worse. I used belly putters, and now super strokes to mitigate this.

2. Nervous yips....ah well you see I used to suffer these as well! Between the both I looked like I was going cold turkey when I putted! It only used to affect me in the first few holes, but I've seen plenty of people who get them all the time. Often these people do not have technical issues, it's nerves. It's important to know if your technique is ok before declaring you've got the yips.....

Nerves of course can be managed, as I got older I suffered less and less with them. Sure there are some great exercises available, I was fortunate life has helped me with them.

Two things seemed to help, the first was having my back injury - it helped me be grateful just to play rather than desperate to win - and the second was competing in an event with TV cameras a few years back and doing ok; after hitting a first tee shot with a small crowd and tv camera and putting in front of cameras suddenly made all other golf situations seem more relaxing.

Now I used to putt left hand below to manage the yips, worked for a while but they came back. The claw is used widely and seems to be effective - seen some amazing results......but will they come back? Might do, but golf is a constant challenge to manage one deficiency or another!

The hardware that has helped me, aside from the Superstroke 5.0, has been using a centre shafted putter. Oh and I have a heavy putter as well, as I used a cut down belly putter.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Rookie is 100% right just like RP said it is mental for whatever reason. After I threw my old putter in a lake or over it if you read my post on An Old putter Story I got where I could not putt a lick. I was purely mental and a pro friend of mine was trying to help in those dark days and really messed me up. first thing he told me was that stuff about I was pulling the putter way too back etc. This really screwed me up. He also told me I had a flaw in my putting stroke because unbeknowist to me I used the arc method of putting and I guess he was not familiar with that method. I went through the stages of the old heavy Super Stroke putter grips, The Tiger Shark grips. Tried the claw grip method and the left hand low method. These worked ok for a month or so then boom I could not hit a washtub from 3 feet. I even went to the "broomhandle for a while and it worked for just that a while. i was ready to give up the game completely and take up fishing. I was on the putting green one day and another instructor friend of mine was giving a lesson and had one of those Arc training devices. After he got done I asked him what the heck that thing was and he told me. I said I always used that type of stroke and was told I had a flaw in my putting stroke. He said BS if it worked for me. I borrowed his training tool and a conventional putter from him and it came back to me.I went back to putting like I always had and went to an Anser putter which was what I always putted with before the Zing days. I was relaxed and started putting well. About a month later I found my old putter and then it was on.

Unless you have a nerve condition caused at birth or an accident it is 100% mental. If you can relax and gain confidence in your method and tool you can kick this. I had went back to an old book my dad had wrote for me before he died he was a teacher and pro but I was hardheaded in my younger days and would not listen to him. He had written that I was a good putter and whaever I did do not let anyone ever change my ways of thinking or executing my putting period. I wish I had found the book several years sooner and re read it. I review his book wrote for me from time to time and guess what I wont loose it again

I hope I may have been some help to you and good luck keep us posted

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived