Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Added distance to my drives today

fozcycle

I had the afternoon off today and decided to experiment with my golf game.

My Cobra Bio Cell driver started out with 11.5* Draw.....after a few rounds I took the Draw off, then A few weeks later I dropped it to 10.5*. I have been at that setting for at least a month. Yielding a straight drive about 200 - 220 yards.

Today I decided to experiment so I dropped it down all the way to 9*. As I have never had a 9* driver! I knew the flight would flatten out and possibly gain distance on the roll.

Well, that is exactly what happened. I actually got to use my 7 & 8 irons on many holes for my approach shots, instead of hitting my 5 or 6 irons. That gave me better control and so I was putting for birdie rather than trying to salvage a bogey.

Yes, the flight path was lower, but the fairways are currently pretty firm, so I was getting 220 - 240 yards off my drive.

I can't wait to play on Saturday.....and see if the add'l distance continues.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

That is good Foz I have been doing it that way or years. I had been hitting a 8* driver for years and hitting a stinger. A pro friend of mine got me into the carry loft up thing a few years back with a 10* Adams driver and a UST V2 shaft. That did not help my game one bit I actually lost distance. The driver I am hitting nowwhich is a 10* Hathaway has a Creation shaft with the stiff shaft with it tipped some. I get the trajectory I want and if I play in wet conditions I can get height by teeing it a little higher than normal and opening up the face a little more than I do. It works for me anyhow. But that is the good thing about the adjustibility of some of these new drivers you can fine tune it to your individual needs. My driver is adjustable for hook or cut upright or flat but I have it set in the neutral position for me. I darn sure dont need it in the hook or upright position

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Not a bad plan really.  A few courses here have pretty hard fairways too and "Tiger-esque" stinger shots roll for freaking ever!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

The higher launch doesn't hurt you on distance assuming the descent angle isn't too steep and the spin rate isn't too high. But sounds like you were hitting higher launching AND higher spinning drives before and that's a killer for anyone. Sounds like taking advantage of the drier firmer Florida ground is in your future and that's awesome. Just don't forget when it starts monsoon season again(because I know y'all get rainy weather later in the year again) to take the loft back up to maximize carry lol

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

You are so correct on the Rookie......when the rain starts, I will change back to higher loft as the fairways will be wet and slow.

For now, I am going to see what i can get out of the lower launch.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I would say to make sure you keep an eye on your teeing height. You don't want to kill any worms by teeing it too low.

I am teeing the ball so that about 1/2 of it is above the crown......unless i am going against the wind.  Then I tee it low for a wind cheater.

You are so correct on the Rookie......when the rain starts, I will change back to higher loft as the fairways will be wet and slow.

For now, I am going to see what i can get out of the lower launch.

There is no doubt that we are getting extra distance right now - it got drier later than usual but the rainy season has also started later than usual.  It's kind of begun for us over on our side of the Bay - we were 10 yards shorter on Tuesday than Saturday because we got the customary showers on Sunday and Monday.

Saturday was amazing - had a chance to knock it on two par 5's that I haven't gotten close to in two plus years.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It simply amazes me that you can play the same course, day in and day out, and come away each time with a different game.

After running the Saturday Game at Pebble Creek for the last 5 years, i pulled the trigger and joined last month.  I am guessing that all of my extra rounds this summer will be at Pebble Creek.  They have begun a project that will gradually help Pebble Creek to look like a private club.   New cusom made NO CART posts on each hole when you get within 50 yards of the green.  Each post has a custom made copper top.

They have put up a yellow rope alongside many of the cart paths to keep the carts on the concrete path.  This will help the grass grow along the sides of the cart path better. 

Some of the worn out Tee Boxes are getting resodded.....

I am proud to be a member at Pebble Creek Golf Club.

I think people will find it hard to believe that this is even more so the case in Florida.  Since so many of our courses get overseeded we actually have different grasses on our courses summer to winter, many of our courses rework their traps summer to winter with different sand as well and even if they don't the difference between white sand and powdery sand is obvious.

In the winter our courses play so much easier than they do in the summer months because the ground is hard and rough is rarely over seeded.  Once the rain starts and the rough gets up it can start to get really ugly, really fast when you're off the fairway.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I am teeing the ball so that about 1/2 of it is above the crown......unless i am going against the wind.  Then I tee it low for a wind cheater.

My driver now is the x2hot pro, 8.5 degrees, set at standard for all settings, I tend to hit the ball high anyway, but if I get too low it just seems to not fly correctly.

I only play this driver because when I went to hit all of them, this is the one that hit with decent distance, but was by far more accurate, and I have been able to take it to the course. It's really nice to have a driver in my hands and feel like I have a pretty good idea of where its is going to go.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I think people will find it hard to believe that this is even more so the case in Florida.  Since so many of our courses get overseeded we actually have different grasses on our courses summer to winter, many of our courses rework their traps summer to winter with different sand as well and even if they don't the difference between white sand and powdery sand is obvious.

In the winter our courses play so much easier than they do in the summer months because the ground is hard and rough is rarely over seeded.  Once the rain starts and the rough gets up it can start to get really ugly, really fast when you're off the fairway.

this is going to sound somewhat nasty but some of the different seeding and grass problems is due to goose poop or at least it is here. You can figgure out the deal without me elaborating. Down here when we dont have drought conditions the supers here water the crap out of the fairways they dont want the courses to play too short I think. we have not gotten much rain the last few weeks but we did get those Florida type thunder storms last night on the South end of the beach. The rain is real funny down here. I can get soaked here at the house and not get a drop at my home course which by the way the crow flies is a long par 5 from the house.One of the craziest weather things happened 2 weeks ago here. One of my dispatchers daughters called horrified. He car got substantial hail damage only 20 blocks away from us and we did not get a drop of precipation because we were in the tow yard at the time. She drove over and the roof of her car looked as smooth as a bag of walnuts. Crazy

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

It simply amazes me that you can play the same course, day in and day out, and come away each time with a different game.

After running the Saturday Game at Pebble Creek for the last 5 years, i pulled the trigger and joined last month.  I am guessing that all of my extra rounds this summer will be at Pebble Creek.  They have begun a project that will gradually help Pebble Creek to look like a private club.   New cusom made NO CART posts on each hole when you get within 50 yards of the green.  Each post has a custom made copper top.

They have put up a yellow rope alongside many of the cart paths to keep the carts on the concrete path.  This will help the grass grow along the sides of the cart path better. 

Some of the worn out Tee Boxes are getting resodded.....

I am proud to be a member at Pebble Creek Golf Club.

Sounds like the management is on the right track. You should be proud to be a member!

G

The higher launch doesn't hurt you on distance assuming the descent angle isn't too steep and the spin rate isn't too high. But sounds like you were hitting higher launching AND higher spinning drives before and that's a killer for anyone. Sounds like taking advantage of the drier firmer Florida ground is in your future and that's awesome. Just don't forget when it starts monsoon season again(because I know y'all get rainy weather later in the year again) to take the loft back up to maximize carry lol

I think the spin rate is what killed me on the lofting up deal along with the shaft. I read somewhere that someone else had too much spin for them with that paticular shaft (Pro Force V2). I tend to spin the ball a lot anyhow I guess due to my action through the ball. I dont hit the driver as high as some people but even with my trajectory I carry it pretty good and get the roll out. It is hard for me to explain it on here one of those things you have to see to believe

G

Nice Foz!  The majority of fairways around here are dead from the warm period/2nd winter we had. 

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Nice Foz!  The majority of fairways around here are dead from the warm period/2nd winter we had. 

It was a bizarre winter all over.  Our courses are normally primo in March/April - they were crap because it was so wet - May was wet but that made the courses great because the summer grasses come in during this month and mind you a wet May here is relative - 3 inches instead of an inch.  Now June has been dry again which is wierd because I think our normal June is around 6-8 inches.

I'm playing a course this afternoon that I normally would not go near in the summer months because they let the rough get so high and thick that it's no fun.  That won't be the case today.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It was a bizarre winter all over.  Our courses are normally primo in March/April - they were crap because it was so wet - May was wet but that made the courses great because the summer grasses come in during this month and mind you a wet May here is relative - 3 inches instead of an inch.  Now June has been dry again which is wierd because I think our normal June is around 6-8 inches.

I'm playing a course this afternoon that I normally would not go near in the summer months because they let the rough get so high and thick that it's no fun.  That won't be the case today.

I assume you mean that its no fun helping your playing partners search for their balls in the rough.  Can you even remember the last time your ball strayed in the rough, Reverend Mister Center of the Fairway?

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Thanks man - yesterday was the last time to be honest altough I was in a fairway bunker rather than the rough and mainly because it was a hard right to left wind with a hazard right.  To avoid the bunker I needed to start it over the hazzard.  :)

However I knocked a nice 8 iron on the green out of the bunker so it wasn't the end of the world being in there.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Well, today I sorta had the pulls....shot a 43/46=89......two balls in the water on #14 dogleg left par 4.....ugh! Had three doubles in a row on back nine......one, my bogey putt stopped 1/2 inch from the hole! As for my drives, they were straight down the fairway most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to say it buddy but I think that you'll find that what you have added God has subtracted with all the rain the past few days.  I couldn't believe I was on the same course that I played a week ago.  Time to set the driver loft up, way up. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...

We had a blast. I'm still playing very spotty but we had a great time and Foz invited two great guys to play with us. He hit lots of good shots and I holed some putts.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived