TESTERS WANTED! ×

5000 Posts to better golf.

Sixty months ago, as a 30+ handicapper, I set a goal, to be a scratch golfer by my 50th birthday.  Over the last 30 months, I have been a member of this forum and have written numerous threads and 5000 posts documenting my journey from a 20ish to a zero(ish) capper.  I calculated the last 20 rounds the day after my 50th birthday a couple of weeks ago, and it was a 0.2 handicap.  This may not actually be scratch, and I will admit to several days of perfect conditions helped, but it is pretty darned close.  It will have to be close enough, because I could not postpone the birthday.  In this thread I will be referencing several previous threads.  If you are interested, just click on it and it will take you there.

At age 45, I took an objective look at where I was and where I wanted to be and came up with a plan. 

• Break 100 by avoiding double penalties and triples and quads on the card.
  • Break 90 by on in 3 and two putt and make 1 par with better chipping and putting.
  • Break 80 by improving accuracy and avoiding all penalties.
  • Break 70 by improving distance.

To break 100 I had to learn to avoid the double penalty.  That is the lost ball and out of bounds.  Hitting 3 off the tee is no way to start a hole and double bogey is a good score from there.  At the time, I had an ugly homemade swing, over the top, early release, blah, blah, blah.  I had never had a real lesson and was planning on taking some when my club pro died of a heart attack.  So I had to get rid of the slice and learn to hit the ball straight.  This was before my time here but I learned that 7 o'clock was the perfect time to hit the ball.   Now, what that really means is that the direction of travel is 12 o'clock, by focusing on hitting the ball at a spot located on the 7 o'clock position on the ball, the club face will be approaching from the inside out, thus killing the slice.  No triple and quad bogies and I needed to get better at putting. 

I was a horrible putter.  I could miss a three- footer by a foot.  I tried everything, long putters, big grips, different holds on the putter, but it was not until I was forced to shoot a wild rabbid dog, that had attacked two people over a three day period that I learned the secret to my putting.  I am a huge dog fan and have 3 laying in the room with me right now.  But I shot that dog with a pistol at about 75 feet while she was running.  Center mass and she was dead before she hit the ground.  I thought, you can make a shot like that but can't make a 3 foot putt, and I realized I hit the dog because I was focusing on the dog not the gun.

It was years later before I found a book that addressed this, but I found if I looked at the hole I made more putts.  I believe that the reason I was missing putts was that I subconsciously adjusting my aim, like I do shooting, and therefore when I was consciously adding more break it was twice the break it should have been. The book called Instinct Putting explains this better.

To break 90, all I had to do was get one par, and 17 bogies and that will be an 89.  How do I do this?  Short game.  I had two shots to get inside 100 yards, and then get on the green and two putts.  I am a fan of the Dave Pelz clock system, but never started a thread about it.  I know I have commented about it in other threads but did not find them at this time.   I like most others at that level was sometimes plagued with the dreaded chili dips, so I came up with the Happy Gilmore Grip.   As I got better, I got away from the Pelz Clock system and began to use my body turn to control the distances on pitches.  I still use the Pelz system to a certain extent in club selection and for distances beyond 40 yards, but inside that I use the body turn.  In the Pelz system acceleration and body turn are constant.  Not so with this other system.

It was about this time that I joined this site.  Before joining, I never paid much attention to my bag set up, course management, or the mental game. Ok, I also did not pay much attention to the 14 club rule so it did not make me any difference.  I began to wonder things like if the clubs in my bag were best to help me score better.  I also wonder if anyone hit the driver off the deck.  Of course the issue of how many wedges to carry has been beaten to death.  I will probably carry 52, 56, and 60 from now on simply because that is what works best for me.  But I have also learned, especially during wet soggy conditions to use the hybrids and FM's to chip.   And of course I had to learn how to address the different weather conditions like Playing in the wind.

I also wondered if you used the same swing for the driver as the rest of the clubs.  I do not remember what I learned during this discussion, but I can tell you that now I have the same swing for all, but more on that to come.  Up to this point, I had not addressed any of my swing issues other than to keep it in play and avoid penalties and learning that it is ok to Lay up on the par 5's  and Learning When to Lag. I realized that Golf was both Offense and Defense.

By now, I was shooting mid 80's and realized avoiding penalties and short game could only take me so far.  It was time to address my swing issues all the while I was assessing my game by holes.  and making sure I was not fooling myself with distances and was planning my rounds on a new course.  And I also learned before I could win I had to lose.

At each level along the way, I discovered some other things in the mental game.  By Playing a One Club Round, I learned about course management.  Also, I was imposing limits on myself by being afraid to score low.

The most time consuming part was addressing the full swing.  So much of what you read and see on TV, while technically is correct, simply does not apply to all of us.  I spent more than 2 years working on different swings that did not suit my body make up and actually caused physical pain.  I began to study different theories and learned that there are Hitters and Swingers.  That instead of the Phil Michelson long and fluid swing, I could Generate Power through a shorter more compact swing.   I had to learn how to hit hybrids and fairway metals properly.   And finally, I had to learn that I ain't Tiger Woods so I needed to develop my swing not his. 

And, perhaps, the thing that helped me most of all was when I decided I am the Greatest Putter in the World.   I really am not the greatest putter but if you read this you will see how it helped relieve pressure on the rest of the game.

Well, I hope my journey and these threads help some of you in your journey to become a better golfer.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Kudos rick - now tell me were the last few shots the hardest or easiest?

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

The hardest part about golf is learning and remembering that other than where your ball is right now, the last stroke does not matter.  It counts, but does not matter.  If you hit the ball 30 yards off the tee or 30 inches from the hole, it is just a stroke.  You can not let it effect your score. It does not matter if it is your second or eight stroke on a par 3, it should get amount of intensity and emotion.  It is ok to celebrate or chastize yourself about the previous shot, but for only 10 seconds.  After that it is over.

I did not play last week and went out this weekend to punched and aerated greens.  I shot an 83 Saturday, and a 42 on the front 9 on Sunday.  I was muttering about how poorly I was playing when one of the guys said, "You are playing fine, but you are not putting with the same aggressiveness as usual.  Normally, you pound the ball in the back of the cup and now your are trying to trickle them in."  I shot a 36 on the back and then played 18 more even par.

The thing about that is that on the first 9 42 strokes, I struck the ball great but did not score very well.  On the same holes after lunch, I had 5 horrible drives, and scored a 35 on them.  The course does not care who you are, what your handicap is, or how well you hit this last shot.  The only one that matters is this shot.

Thanks for the Tweet, MyGolfSpy.  Althought not literally a scratch, it is pretty close.

Congrats, I totally agree with you about being afraid to go low.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Westy, I thought about this deep into the night last night and could not say what was easy.  I shot a 66 and it was very easy.  Last Saturday, I shot an 83 and it was very hard.  I played two rounds on Sunday and would like to tell you shot by shot how easy it was.  After playing 18 and having lunch, starting the next holes with a poor drive is not a surprise.  However, it did not improve very quickly.

I realize nothing is more boring than reading someone else round shot by shot.  So most people can skip the rest of this.  I write it in detail simply because I know Westy is a young golfer who has visions of some day winning a major and have his fans sing songs about him for a hundred years.  I want him to know that it is not all fairways and greens that separate the good rounds from the bad rounds.

Hole 1, 410 yard par 4, fairly straight with a big fairway bunker right side, bigger oak tree left side.  Playing into a 20 mph wind.

A poor drive left me 187 yards on the right hand side short of the bunker.  With the flag on the right side of the green, I went for the left side with a hybrid but ended up in the left hand bunker.  Pitched it to 3 feet and made a par.

Hole 2, 420 yard par 4, dogleg left, OB right and long.  230 to the dogleg, playing into the 20 mph wind.

An even worse drive left me 130 from the dogleg.  (yes, I realize that was a whopping 100 yard smash.  It gets worse, stay tuned).  The plan was to hit the next one to the bend.  But instead pulled into the last tree at the bend and left myself a 156 yard shot, over the water, under the trees to a back right hole.  I punched a 3 wood that flew 6 feet high for about 100 yards and then ran past the flag to the fringe.  I had a 17' chip, that lipped out and I made bogie.

Hole 3, 475 yard par 5, dogleg right with ob right and long, and 290 to the dogleg.  Playing with the wind.

My drive traveled all of 30 yards and ended up on the gold tee box just ahead of where I was.  I hit a 3 wood to 217 out and then hit a cut 3 wood that made turned perfectly and landed on the green and left me a 12'er for birdie.  I made the putt and was back to even par after 3 poor drives.  I was also even on the bets, as I was playing 3 other guys, heads up for $1 per hole.

Hole 4, 140 yard, par 3, huge bunker right and flag 6' from right side. 20mph wind left to right.

I hit 2' short of the flag and then the flagstick and stopped about 3' from the hole.  Made a birdie to go -1. And won the hole.

Hole 5, 485 yard par 5, hit from the top of one hill to another and the green is located on the second hill.  Playing down wind.

Slammed another drive into the ground and was still 325 from the green after my drive. (I later realized I was swaying on my down swing thus coming in too steep.)  A crushed 3 wood left me 74 yards down the hill from the flag and a half pitching wedge got me to 15'.  Lipped out the putt for par and survived.  I did lose the hole, but still below par for the round.

Hole 6, 400 yard par 4, straight away, but blind tee shot. Playing with the wind.

Another crappy drive left me 278 from the green, and another nice 3 wood got me to 40 yards from the center of the fairway.  A 60* wedge got me close enough to make a 3' par putt to stay even on the bet.

Hole 7, 363 yard par 4, slight dogleg left, playing into the wind.

I crushed my drive and ended up 100 yards from the green but missed the fairway and the ball was 18" above my feet and I had an uphill and side hill lie.  I tried to keep it low with a punched 7 iron, but it flared a little but I made a 2 putt par.

Hole 8, 427 yard par 4, dogleg left water right.  Wind left to right.

Punched a low runner down the left side and let it go to the right.  165 out and hit a 6 iron back into the breeze.  Came up short but got up and down for par.

Hole 9, 140 yard par 3, island green, wind left to right.

Got on the green and 2 putts for a 35, one under on the front.  I admit I was feeling pretty confident able to save those scores after those drives.

Hole 10, 380 yard par 4 slight dogleg left, bunkers left and right and trees in play straight away, playing down wind.

Not a great drive but compared to some of the others that day it was a good one.  127 out but a poor approach left me short sided having to hit over the greenside bunker.  I failed to get up and down so I not only lost the hole but ended up back at even.

Hole 11, 490 yard par 5, uphill with a 220 carry over a lake tee shot.  Wind is right to left.

Great drive, and great second shot left me hole high but in the bunker. Pitched it to 5' and a birdie.

Hole 12, 390 yard par 4, OB left, lake 250 off the tee, requires a lay up and a long approach.  Wind is right to left.

Nice hybrid off the tee and good approach left me 18' on the green and a lipped first putt but a par.

Hole 13, 165 yard par 3 two tiered green, water right, playing into the wind.

Tee shot was just short, chipped to 4' but missed the par putt for a bogie, to lose the hole and go even on the round.

Hole 14, 485 yard par 5, dogleg right, water right, trees right, OB left.  Wind left to right.

Nice distance on the drive, but to in the wind and blew into the trees.  I hit a driver off the deck, big cut that was tracking to the green, but hit a mound and then got on the cart path and went 56 yards towards the next hole.  I used a 56* wedge to get it back on the green and made a 24'er for birdie to go -1 again.

Hole 15.  400 yard par 4, straight just the opposite of hole 5.  Playing into the wind.

Great drive leaves me inside 150 but my 6 iron holds up in the wind and I land in a 15' diameter 5' deep pot bunker and have a down hill lie.  My second attempt out of the bunker lands me 4 feet from the hole and I make a bogie to go even.

Hole 16.  365 yard par 4, water short and right of the green, bunkers left and mounds on the back.  Playing into the wind.

Perfect hydrid off the tee, and a partial wedge shot allow me to birdie the hole and get back to 1 under on the back.

Hole 17.  200 yard par 3, water short and right of the green, bunkers left and mounds on the back.  Playing with the wind.

I aimed for the fat part of the green, and had a long par putt.  I hit the putt and it went 3' past the hole and it broke past the hole,  I assumed it would break coming back but sadly it did not.  Lipped the par putt for a bogie.

Hole 18.  416 yard par 4, island tee box and island green.  Playing with the wind.

Great drive left me a pitching wedge away from the green, but the ball would not stop and was blown into the water on the back side of the island.  Got up and down for bogie and 37 on the back.

Earlier in the post to Westy, I said that you had to forget the previous shot.  This round was fresh on my mind where I made some awful shots but in the end I played awesome golf.  That is why I went through the minusia of the stroke by stroke.  This really is what I have learned during the past 30 months.  Yes, you have to have skills to pull off the shots, but during that round more than half were less than good.  There was only one hole where I hit three great shots in a row.  I had mental lapses and ugly swings but maintained my confidence.

On 3 while the other guys were laughing at my drive that came up 30 yards short of the ladies tee boxes (I hate that term).  I told them that I had "an opportunity to make a spectacular birdie and break their stone cold hearts".  When my third shot was seen bouncing by the pin, one of the guys that had had a great drive hit his out of bounds and later admitted that seeing my ball on the green for a birdie putt after that drive simply demoralized him.  On 6 the guy that had 12' for birdie later admitted that when I stuck my third shot to 3' made his birdie putt seem like 30'.  And they were all gleeful when my ball on 14 that was tracking to the hole took a detour down the cartpath but when I sank the 24'er for birdie it took all the joy out of one of them who had the tap in.

So the point is, none of the strokes are easy.  I missed short putts and made long ones.  The key is focus on this shot you have now.

Rick- Really great series of posts and summary. It's helpful to me to see a path, though not necessarily the exact path for me, to becoming a better golfer and getting more enjoyment out of the game. And congratulations on reaching your goal!

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Congrats Rick!  Looking forward to playing some golf with you again soon.

Big thanks for the links to all the posts....what a great way to find threads quickly!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently, some people think that I am claiming to be a below scratch golfer. I am not. I have shot below par, my handicap is hovering around 1-3 or so. I play well, and I play poorly. I confess that I did not use scores posted after May 12th. Two reasons. First, my goal ended on May 14th so it really did not matter. Also, because of other circumstances, I did not practice much for several weeks after that and consequentially my handicap would not have been as good, but then I did not care.

I really wanted to reach the goal of scratch golfer by my birthday. And the last month I worked really hard at it. Once I had run out of time, I checked the last 20 rounds, entered them in an app, and it gave me a handicap of 0.2. This was much closer than I thought it would be. I then referenced it here but only meant it as measure of how close I was to reaching my goal. I then played only on the weekend and for the first time in 5 years I went 3 weeks without touching a golf club during the week.

Two weeks ago, I was already struggling to break 80. It is truly amazing how quickly it leaves. I have been practicing again during the week. I have an event in a couple of weeks, and I would love to shoot par or better in it. However, I have not shot par or better at my home course since early May, but have shot in the low 70's.

Since I often just play match play or skins with my friends on the weekends, the scores are often not as good because I am trying to win the hole, not trying to have the lowest accumulated score.

I went out this morning early with one goal in mind.  I had told some friends that I thought I should shoot even par of below every round.  My problem was that I failed to concentrate on every stroke and had a tendency to rush through the shot and consequently made bonehead shots and dropped shots needlessly.

So today, my goal was to go through my "long" pre-shot routine every shot.  For the record my "long" pre-shot routine is the following.

1. Determine the club based on the lie, distance, wind and slope.
  2. After taking the club out of the bag while it is still upside down, grip it and make 2-3 three practice swing ensuring that the swosh sound is past where the ball will be.
  3. Flip the club over and make 2-3 more practice swings, feeling the head of the club through out the swing.
  4. Then address the ball and make a swing just like I am going to make for the shot.
  5. Once I am satisfied, I do the same thing again but hit the ball.

Step 2 and 3 are what I have developed as my 10 second range session.  I really have no idea how long it really takes but the whole pre-shot routine is like 20-30 seconds.  I have not timed it but I have asked some of my regular partners if it seemed I was taking longer before the shot.  They have said not enough to notice.

Ok so my goal was to do the same pre-shot before every stroke to see if I would make better contact.  Honestly, I have had better ball striking days.  I did not have my best stuff on the longer clubs, but the short irons, wedges and putter were freaking awesome.  I will post the graphics from my stat tracking app.

graphs68.png

holes68.png

I did not do a proper warm up and I did not have my best stuff long game wise, but short game was outstanding. 

For the first time in my life I totally understand what the pros mean during the interviews.  "It is a process."  "I am just sticking to my routine and...."

This is not my best round ever, but it is the first time that I have played like that and feel like I can go out and do it tomorrow, if I just stick to my routine.  I may not score a 68 because that for the most part was an awesome putter, but I see no reason, other than weather, that I can not do it again tomorrow.  IF I STICK TO MY PROCESS.

Jesus, I wish I had putting thats like that. Most of the time I'm just happy if I have less than 36 putts for the round but I tend to make up for it with fairly good greens in reg stats :S

By the way what stat tracking app do you use?

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Jesus, I wish I had putting thats like that. Most of the time I'm just happy if I have less than 36 putts for the round but I tend to make up for it with fairly good greens in reg stats :S

By the way what stat tracking app do you use?

Click the link to instinct putting in my signature and see my putting style.

Mobitee is the app I use. Stats, rangefinder, shot tracking, club selection, even a parascope for blind shots. But it is not free although they do have a free version. It can be used away from the course for planning a round.  I can get courses anywhere in the world at no additional charge.

Just got to find a torrent for that book somewhere now or I'm going to have to wait untill pay day before I can afford it lol

I'm also looking at getting onto the local SAM putting lab and see if I can get fit for a putter or atleast have a better idea as to what suits me best as my teaching pro mainly left it up to me to find one that I like then he would fit me for it.

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

19 putts is just insane. 

But......I usually have 19 putts too.....on the front nine.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

19 putts is just insane. 

But......I usually have 19 putts too.....on the front nine.

I'd say given that 32 putts is the average for a low single digit guy. Another words Rick turned an 80 into a 68. That's remarkable. Great job.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'd say given that 32 putts is the average for a low single digit guy. Another words Rick turned an 80 into a 68. That's remarkable. Great job.

I would be ecstatic with 32 putts per round :(

Thanks Guys,

I am pretty proud of my short game and putting stats.  On Gamebook I have 27 rounds played.  My average score is 76.  I average 27.7 putts per round.  I am trying to improve my iron play, if I could do that I will be ready for the senior tour.  Haha.  Not that I am that senior at 50.

I have been thinking about this since I read it the other day.  I think you nailed it, Rev.  My driving and irons are 80 at best.  Certainly if you added 32 putts I would be mid 80's every round.

I have reorganized my bag and will have a thread up soon about that to improve my long game, but that is certainly the area that needs work. 

• 1 year later...

Enjoyed reading about your journey.....thanks.

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

I enjoyed a quick pass at reading through. I also always trying to lower my handicap will be reading further into probably every thing you have links to. Thanks,

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Apparently, some people think that I am claiming to be a below scratch golfer. I am not. I have shot below par, my handicap is hovering around 1-3 or so. I play well, and I play poorly. I confess that I did not use scores posted after May 12th. Two reasons. First, my goal ended on May 14th so it really did not matter. Also, because of other circumstances, I did not practice much for several weeks after that and consequentially my handicap would not have been as good, but then I did not care.

I really wanted to reach the goal of scratch golfer by my birthday. And the last month I worked really hard at it. Once I had run out of time, I checked the last 20 rounds, entered them in an app, and it gave me a handicap of 0.2. This was much closer than I thought it would be. I then referenced it here but only meant it as measure of how close I was to reaching my goal. I then played only on the weekend and for the first time in 5 years I went 3 weeks without touching a golf club during the week.

Two weeks ago, I was already struggling to break 80. It is truly amazing how quickly it leaves. I have been practicing again during the week. I have an event in a couple of weeks, and I would love to shoot par or better in it. However, I have not shot par or better at my home course since early May, but have shot in the low 70's.

Since I often just play match play or skins with my friends on the weekends, the scores are often not as good because I am trying to win the hole, not trying to have the lowest accumulated score.

I am not really sure how I missed this thread last year, but I am glad evershady resurrected it.  Lots of good information here, and I had forgotten that Rick and I have the same birthday.  :)

I think you reached your goal because statistically your index rounds to 0.  I am very impressed by your putting stats.  I have worked on my putting the last year or so, and I thought I had developed into a pretty good putter, but I bow to you sir!  You are my new hero.  

Your description of shots off the tee had me smiling because I go through periods where I have no problem off the tee (except for being shorter than I would like), but other times I struggle to hit a solid shot.  I get very frustrated.  I need to find better consistency and a little more distance, and I think I can score in the 70's more often.

Thanks again for your story Rick and congratulations for setting a goal and making the journey.  Impressive!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived