TESTERS WANTED! ×

While we're young

revkev

I know that this topic came up last year but I just saw one of those commercial during the morning round of the US Open.  Shhhhhh I'm watching and working.

I find these commercials incredibly offensive from a group that is hosting a tournament where the first and second rounds will take over five hours to play.  It's a joke and it's ridiculous.  If the USGA wants to speed up play do it by example.

Thoughts?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Have to agree, Rev. I really enjoy the men's club I belong to, but our tournaments regularly take 5-5 1/2 hours. Is it because we're imitating the pros? Maybe. Drives me nuts unless I'm in the first group. Honestly, I've been in the first group, finished the round and waited a good 20 minutes for the next group to come in. Geez Louise.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

So, the morning marquee group on usopen.com just finished in 5:08. I'd be pulling my hair out during a 5 hour and 8 minute round, due to all of the waiting!

STX xForm 3, 35"

Drives me nuts unless I'm in the first group. Honestly, I've been in the first group, finished the round and waited a good 20 minutes for the next group to come in. Geez Louise.

This right here is my normal Saturday most of the time.  I play with a group of about 20-28 people.  We typically try to group the faster players to the front.  4 weeks ago, I was in the first group off at 9:00.  We were in the clubhouse with our clubs put in cars, food ordered and drinks already served by 12:30. The last group arrived in the club house at 2:15. according to the marshall's log's the next group after the last of ours went off at 10:05.

Uggh.

And the worst part, we know who it is and there simply is no reason for it.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Yeah, now that I think about it, that 20 minutes must have been closer to 30 or 40 because we also were on our second adult beverage and well into the food. The slower players in our group are also well known, but seem to make little to no effort to improve their speed of play.

At some point, people in my group (maybe me) will stay away from the tournaments because of the pace of play. That's too bad.

STX xForm 3, 35"

I used to play in a regular Weds game at my club in Indiana.  These were all professional people, Drs., bankers, attorneys and me - I guess I qualify.  We would throw in $15 - 5 front, 5 back, 5 skins, the pro put us on teams of 4, A,B,C,D players, A,B from the back tees, C,D from the whites, no handicap, top 3 scores counted.  We often played in 3:15 because the group policed itself - if everyone was there we had 40 or 10 groups - rounds never and I mean never took 4 hours. 

Does anyone recall that the Norman/Zoeller playoff took less than 3 hours?  

There are more issues with the game than the cost - its the value - the cost vs. the enjoyment factor - Disney costs a fortune and it's always packed.  (I'm not talking about the courses I'm talking about the theme park)  It is not enjoyable to spend 5 and a half hours sweating your keyster off, having your back tighten to rush to hit your next shot because you don't want to hold the group behind you up.

It starts with the pros.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Do you think the way some of the courses are maintained could help with pace of play as well? There's a few places I've played where the rough was so thick it was hard to find your ball and looking for it takes a lot of time especially if it was an expensive ball

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Do you think the way some of the courses are maintained could help with pace of play as well? There's a few places I've played where the rough was so thick it was hard to find your ball and looking for it takes a lot of time especially if it was an expensive ball

Ran into that problem at my local course a few years back. They brought in a mini tour and grew the rough out to 6 inches. They either didn't cut it or something a day or two later. Rounds averaged 30-40 mins longer. When they cut it, it was back to normal. They've recently tried to open the course by cutting trees, but hasn't had much of an affect other than cheapening the course's difficulty.

As a person who considers themselves a fast player (roughly 2:15 for 18 driving or 3 hours walking as a single), there's nothing worse than slow play in my book, most of which is avoidable.

One issue I've seen is too many golfers at one time. My college had 8 minute tee time spread which was ridiculous considering A) that's too close and B) it's a college course, most kids don't play well there.. My home course has 10 minute spreads and seems to do fine without any logjams due to crowding. Sure, you can't get that many tee times off, but I think it all evens out when things back up.

Biggest issues I've seen everywhere is slow play on the green. I've seen guys take 5 minutes to get to the green and 10 minutes to read, blow the putt, huff and puff, miss the next and then tap in... and retreat to grab the forgotten wedge. Surprisingly lost balls doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. I've never seen someone take more than 5 minutes, and most of the time the group will just give up search after 30 seconds or a minute.

As for the pros, think they need to lead by example. Nothing like going away for an hour to do yard work and seeing a player leave 15 and be in the fairway on 17 in an hour. Start penalizing everyone for slow play. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Ran into that problem at my local course a few years back. They brought in a mini tour and grew the rough out to 6 inches. They either didn't cut it or something a day or two later. Rounds averaged 30-40 mins longer. When they cut it, it was back to normal. They've recently tried to open the course by cutting trees, but hasn't had much of an affect other than cheapening the course's difficulty.

As a person who considers themselves a fast player (roughly 2:15 for 18 driving or 3 hours walking as a single), there's nothing worse than slow play in my book, most of which is avoidable.

One issue I've seen is too many golfers at one time. My college had 8 minute tee time spread which was ridiculous considering A) that's too close and B) it's a college course, most kids don't play well there.. My home course has 10 minute spreads and seems to do fine without any logjams due to crowding. Sure, you can't get that many tee times off, but I think it all evens out when things back up.

Biggest issues I've seen everywhere is slow play on the green. I've seen guys take 5 minutes to get to the green and 10 minutes to read, blow the putt, huff and puff, miss the next and then tap in... and retreat to grab the forgotten wedge. Surprisingly lost balls doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. I've never seen someone take more than 5 minutes, and most of the time the group will just give up search after 30 seconds or a minute.

As for the pros, think they need to lead by example. Nothing like going away for an hour to do yard work and seeing a player leave 15 and be in the fairway on 17 in an hour. Start penalizing everyone for slow play.

Totally agree and to Mr Theo I absolutely think course conditions can make a difference particularly the rough. So can the rules, pick up at double par. Play all hazards and obs as lateral as a minimum. For crying out loud college baseball has a 10 run rule.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Played as a sub at a local 9 holer Tuesday night and I'd played the same ball for 3 rounds at my country club.  Lost it and 3 more IN THE ROUGH OFF THE FAIRWAY before we finished play...  The only place I've personally seen with grass this long and thick anywhere near the fairway was the US Senior Open in Omaha last year.  I've got enough balls, if I lose one OB or in heavy rough, I'll take a penalty and not even bother to look for the ball, but it's ridiculous to have a group looking for balls that land within 10 yards of the fairway...

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Played as a sub at a local 9 holer Tuesday night and I'd played the same ball for 3 rounds at my country club. Lost it and 3 more IN THE ROUGH OFF THE FAIRWAY before we finished play... The only place I've personally seen with grass this long and thick anywhere near the fairway was the US Senior Open in Omaha last year. I've got enough balls, if I lose one OB or in heavy rough, I'll take a penalty and not even bother to look for the ball, but it's ridiculous to have a group looking for balls that land within 10 yards of the fairway...

Yea, I play by myself a lot so for me it's hard to watch my ball roll all the way out sometimes and to lose it 3 feet off the fairway not only hurts the score cause of the penalty but the spirt cause your scores look awful.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Mr Theo/wbealsd - When a ball is lost like that what do you end up doing? Taking a stroke and dropping near by or running all the way back like we are supposed to?

In a tournament I've never had that issue, but seems every 3-4 rounds you mark a ball perfectly to a spot in the rough but can't find it. 9/10 I don't take the 5 mins and just take a spot penalty and go on.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

Totally agree and to Mr Theo I absolutely think course conditions can make a difference particularly the rough. So can the rules, pick up at double par. Play all hazards and obs as lateral as a minimum. For crying out loud college baseball has a 10 run rule.

Honestly, I've played maybe 5-10 out of probably close to 500 rounds where someone wouldn't pick up and was slow.. Usually from what I've noticed is the guy putting up a 12 on a hole is more worried about the 12 pack and eventually just lets you play through. In your experience is it usually the average/good golfers or the duffers that are slow?

Mr Theo/wbealsd - When a ball is lost like that what do you end up doing? Taking a stroke and dropping near by or running all the way back like we are supposed to?

In a tournament I've never had that issue, but seems every 3-4 rounds you mark a ball perfectly to a spot in the rough but can't find it. 9/10 I don't take the 5 mins and just take a spot penalty and go on.

I take a drop and my penalty at the closes spot where i think i lost it and keep playing to keep pace. 

In this case, it's a pretty casual scramble league and everyone in the group saw where the landing area so we could have taken a "free drop," if we'd had to.  My partner wasn't as long, but still in the short grass, so we just played his ball.  BTW, this course is known for its gnarly rough and the league accepts the "free drop" if the group agrees to it.  It's kind of a "pasture course" with virtually no bunkers and only a couple of actual hazard areas, so the rough IS the hazard - lol

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I know that this topic came up last year but I just saw one of those commercial during the morning round of the US Open.  Shhhhhh I'm watching and working.

I find these commercials incredibly offensive from a group that is hosting a tournament where the first and second rounds will take over five hours to play.  It's a joke and it's ridiculous.  If the USGA wants to speed up play do it by example.

Thoughts?

That X 1000!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I think I have said these things before but I will repeat

It depends on the area. I live in a tourist driven area and the courses will jam book tee times during the season. The courses have taken some steps though. They have marked some OB as laterals and such and have moved drop areas over the hazards etc. But the vacationers in general have a pissy attitude in that "we are on vacation so we paid and will take our time and the only reason you have nice courses to play on is because we patronize the area so screw you locals and members" The rangers do nothing because they have been told "dont piss the tourists off" The other deal which is bad is that if the motels get a lot of complaints about a paticular course for whatever reason they will take them off the motel package. But some of the courses attitudes have changed during this depression they have found out that the local members and retirees have kept the courses open. Personally I dont play a lot during the spring tourist season or If I play I play lower tier non motel package courses. Like I said it is a different ball game here

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thoughts?

Those commercials are a waste of money.  Slow players don't typically realize they are slow.  If they do...they don't realize HOW slow they really are.

If the USGA would be far better served if they used the 30 second spots to SHOW how to speed up play.  Right now the spots are a waste.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

The nice thing about the two courses I'm a paid member at is, the Country Club gives a sense of "ownership" to the members and the vast majority of players pay attention to things like fixing divots, ball marks and pace of play.  On the rare occasions I've gotten "stuck" behind a group, I'll just move to a different hole and go back to play the one I missed later.  The other course is a community course and if I play on weekends, I'll play early to avoid the crowd.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

wbealsd I think you just hit an interesting point.  

Private Courses vs Semi-Private/Public

I find that private courses have fewer issues with pace of play than public/semi-private do.  I wonder if that's true at a general level though.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

wbealsd I think you just hit an interesting point.  

Private Courses vs Semi-Private/Public

I find that private courses have fewer issues with pace of play than public/semi-private do.  I wonder if that's true at a general level though.

I wouldn't personally know, since until this Spring almost all my golf's been played on public / semi public courses except a few times I was a guest at a private course.  This is the first year I'm a member of a country club, since I had a 2 hour a day commute until I retired and I just couldn't play enough rounds at my local CC to justify the cost of membership.

All I can say about my experience this year is, this is definitely the nicest facility I've ever played at and when I play solo and run into a group, they always let me join or play through.  I think most "bad actors" at any course are folks that don't play it regularly enough to feel "invested" in it.

They had a special new member rate this year, basically half price, so I jumped on it even though I already had a full membership at a local community course.  Knowing what I know now, I'll stay a member at the CC, even if I have to sell blood to pay for my membership ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I wouldn't personally know, since until this Spring almost all my golf's been played on public / semi public courses except a few times I was a guest at a private course.  This is the first year I'm a member of a country club, since I had a 2 hour a day commute until I retired and I just couldn't play enough rounds at my local CC to justify the cost of membership.

All I can say about my experience this year is, this is definitely the nicest facility I've ever played at and when I play solo and run into a group, they always let me join or play through.  I think most "bad actors" at any course are folks that don't play it regularly enough to feel "invested" in it.

They had a special new member rate this year, basically half price, so I jumped on it even though I already had a full membership at a local community course.  Knowing what I know now, I'll stay a member at the CC, even if I have to sell blood to pay for my membership ;)

I've played on private courses that were slow as heck, and public that actually moved. Think it's just up to the golfers. Then again, for the most part, publics by and large in my experience are slower due to more people.  

Where on the course do you see the biggest issues with speed.? I think the tee box and green areas are the biggest areas of concern.  If you can get them off the green and onto the tee box faster, I think most of your problems are solved. I've never seen a guy look for a ball for more than the allotted time, usually they see you on the tee and either wave you through or give up.

Lots of interesting stuff.

Back to a question from Sportsfan - both duffers and experienced players.  Duffers normally don't know better, experienced players think that by looking at every angle of a putt it will somehow get easier or they will make more - I would suggest that they'll make less.

@ Richard - think of this for a moment - in your swats you are playing for your money.  In the professional golf tournament they are playing for other people's money and yet they still take longer.

I bet they wouldn't take longer if rules were put into place to speed up play.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

one of the "local rules that we play with, is everything is played as a lateral, again, some rounds take a long time, but that has more to do with the person or people than the course, and on regular games on Saturday, we usually play 2 man or 4 man in type of game, so we pick up when the putt dont matter, birdies are played out, and net birdies are played as well, gimmees are still gimmees, 2 feet for bogey, or even par is given most of the time, these are all things that speed up the game, and also make it more enjoyable, who wants to sweat over 2.5 feet for bogey or double, when the score doesnt matter.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Well I got pretty frustrated with a 4.35 round last week. Longer than that and Id need a book and an iPod.

I have a problem with people who hit the ball in the rough (members of the course who know the rough and know if it's likely to be an issue) and don't take a provisional - it takes two seconds to hit another one, hell hit 3 or 4 if it means you've got one in play - don't do the walk of shame!

It's two weeks till our club championship and the rough is getting extreme - which is good in my opinion but I'm sure it'll be cut down in the week after to speed up play again. It's having a massive impact - 10 yards off now and it's 50/50 on finding a ball.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Well I got pretty frustrated with a 4.35 round last week. Longer than that and Id need a book and an iPod.

I have a problem with people who hit the ball in the rough (members of the course who know the rough and know if it's likely to be an issue) and don't take a provisional - it takes two seconds to hit another one, hell hit 3 or 4 if it means you've got one in play - don't do the walk of shame!

It's two weeks till our club championship and the rough is getting extreme - which is good in my opinion but I'm sure it'll be cut down in the week after to speed up play again. It's having a massive impact - 10 yards off now and it's 50/50 on finding a ball.

I just can't agree with that type of rough for amateurs.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

There are a few public courses around here that do the same thing with the rough, and like Rev, I just don't agree that the rough should be like that for amateurs AND public courses.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I'd agree 50 weeks of the year - but for club championship......

As long as it's cut down the week after.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Oh and provisional balls should be struck, even when rough isn't long if your not sure hit another one.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Oh and provisional balls should be struck, even when rough isn't long if your not sure hit another one.

This! I get so p*ssed when I have to wait for the group in front of me/us to spend 10 minutes looking for a ball!

8ssed

Archived