Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

hardest clubs to hit

Kor.A.Door

what would you guys say would be the most difficult clubs to hit full shots with and if you have that club, why do you have it? I think that the answers will vary depending on hcp.

I will go ahead and say that we will leave the 2-iron out of this, since everyone knows that very few people can hit one of those.

i am going to start off with a wedge that is 60 degrees or more, I do not carry anything that high lofted, they waste space in the bag, and very few people can hit the consistently.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I have always loved my 60, but I cannot hit my 5 iron for my life.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

For me it would be my 4 iron. I actually kept it out of the bag for a little while but I put it back in and it's only used on special shots. It's almost a 3 iron because of being bent 1 degree strong and already being lower lofted than standard. It's good off the tee mainly and sometimes off the deck if I'm feeling confident. For some tee shots it's either that or a hybrid, it depends on the situation and how I'm playing but I know when not to use it and go with a more forgiving club.

My 3-wood has always been the most difficult club to hit. Since getting a new one it's helped a lot, but sometimes I wonder if I should just hit my 19 degree hybrid off of anything less than an absolutely perfect lie. I'd never take it out of the bag because off the tee it is a beast and deadly straight, and off of most fairways it's dang good. But I do make the call to use it sometimes when I shouldn't.

I really think the 3-4 iron is hard to hit.... although, I can hit my 4 iron "fairly" consistent. On the other side, I find extremely lofted clubs difficult to hit consistently. I ditched my 60* in favor of a 58*. I still find it inconsistent on full swing shots.

I ditched my 60* in favor of a 58*.

I did the same thing at the end of last year, and a few weeks ago decided that the 58 was going to be staying in the bag except for rare cases.  the 60º was just to easy to skull and hit thin, and I cant hit the 58º consistently.

I pretty much only use the 58º when I'm in trouble and need to get over trees quick.

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Easy for me is 3 wood. I hook the heck out of it usually and off the deck is a guessing game. 

Thing is though I love my 60. Just think when I first started the game I had to hit a lot of wedges and learned how to play them.

My worst club is the putter, even when I think I'm doing great with it, stats show I'm below average.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

3 wood I suppose but when I'm swinging well it's not like I stink with it and when I'm not swinging well I struggle with everything.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 wood. Off the tee, it's fantastic. Straight, long (almost as long as my driver) but off the deck...what a POS. I have no idea why I can't hit it properly from the fairway, but I can't. I'm looking for a Ping G20 5 wood for fairway shots.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

For me over the years it has been different clubs from different makes. I will give you one example. I carried an old Cleveland 60 for years untill I wore it out. I absolutely could not hit another 60 of any shape or brand so I went to a Vokey 58 and it was good untill I found out it was non conforming. The search went on for a 60 for a while untill I found a Scratch 60 at Goodwill and it is conforming. I had to make a few changes including adding weight and changing the lie for me but the sole grind fits me and I love it. I never could hit a 3 wood period so I never carried one. I always carried a 4 or 5 wood. About 12 or so years ago my friend built me a Cally Steel head and gave it to me I asked him if he was nuts I cant hit a 3 wood. He said shut up and hit it so almost 13 years later it is still in the bag. Probably the worst club in my bag is the 5 iron dont matter the brand sometimes I am on it sometimes I aint it has always been that way for me even though It is the go to club for me out of the trees with a low shot

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3W for me... basically the same reasons mentioned above...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

3 wood. Off the tee, it's fantastic. Straight, long (almost as long as my driver) but off the deck...what a POS. I have no idea why I can't hit it properly from the fairway, but I can't. I'm looking for a Ping G20 5 wood for fairway shots.

Agreed. The 3-wood off the tee is my money shot. Put it in the fairway with a perfect lie on a par 5? My knees shake.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

what would you guys say would be the most difficult clubs to hit full shots with and if you have that club, why do you have it?

That's the key right there.  If I can't hit it consistently, it's not in my bag.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

hmmm, well in general I would say people as mentioned above would struggle with a 2 or 1 iron, anything with more loft than a sand wedge and fairway woods off the deck.

For me personally, I smoke my 3 iron and have an old 2 iron that I hit every now and again that doesnt really give me any troubles, to the point that I want to fit in a hybrid driving iron when I redo my set. my 64* lob wedge is no problem for me but mainly because I cheat and rarely if ever hit a full shot with it, just use it for flops and out of bunkers mainly. One I do hate though is my 5 wood. Hate it off the deck, and off the tee, I'm not sure why its still in the bag really because I don't use it at all. Doesn't help that its got a regular flex shaft in it and I need a X flex so everything goes left and hard.

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

That's the key right there.  If I can't hit it consistently, it's not in my bag.

Only reason I keep the 3W in the bag is I need something of a distance club for certain holes on my home course. There's 2-3 holes that require a drive around 225-230 but trouble lurks longer  at the distance I tend to hit the ball with the driver. If I actually pure a driver on that hole, it's game over man. So I keep the 3 wood knowing I'm only using it maybe 1-2 a round off the tee and maybe once every 3 rounds off the deck.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I can't hit a 3 wood off the deck.  That's why I don't carry it anymore.  I go from driver straight to 2 hybrid !

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

I always had difficulty hitting the 4 iron and opted for a hybrid until I reviewed the Cobra Bio Cell irons this year. Now, the 4 iron is a solid 175 yds for me.

The club I have been having the most difficulty with is the Sand Wedge.  I have tried several SW's over the past couple months, Powerbilt AF One, Nike VR Pro, Mizuno MP T-11 & Wilson R90.

Well, it looks like the Wilson R90 is the winner......and it is 30 years old. I won it in a golf Tourney back in the early 1980's...

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

RP, that's funny that you mention high handicaps/beginners using too much loft in their wedges. My long time friend is taking up golf and he bought a bunch of used clubs and one of the clubs he has is a Vokey 64 degree. I was chipping around with it and although it's cool just for fun, it would be scary to use when you need to make a precise shot to get up and down. He used it a lot on chips, pitches and a couple of full shots at this small executive course we play at and it wasn't pretty. He had a 56 degree that he could have used but I will say that he's not at the point to where he can think smart on the golf course or is very knowledgeable about equipment. I assume he may think that shorter yardage = less club automatically which isn't the case. He'll have to learn eventually when he gets more experience. 

Hardest club for me to hit consistently has been and  always will be the putter... 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived