Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Favorite Type of Course to Play

sp0rtsfan86

I've played a lot of different types of courses over the years I've enjoyed this game we call golf. Desert golf, mountain golf, water filled courses, courses with water never coming into play. Long courses with lots of room to miss, short courses with tight fairways...etc. Only thing I really haven't played is a lot of links golf, I've played some courses that play similar to links, but not true links courses.

Think you get where this is going...right?

What elements do you like/hate on golf courses?

If you could build your own golf course what would natural elements would you build around and how would you design it?

If it was up to me I'd build a golf course on rolling hills (elevation changes!) in the desert with two or three natural streams. That and have one or two holes framed by big trees around the green.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I like mountain courses. But that's where I live. My favorite which is the closest to my house ranges from 6500 to 7000 feet. It makes for some great tee shots! One par 3 is teeing off a cliff, over water to the green. I think it's about 180 yds. It must drop 100 feet or so to the green though.

I've never played a links course to know how I would like it. We have some nice interesting and challenging desert courses here I like as well as the mountain courses. I really need to play more. There are quite a number I haven't been to just in my area yet let alone other parts of the country.

Good thread BTW.

I like anything Donald Ross no matter the geographical location. I also like any Nicklaus courses and someone may think I am touched in the head but I also like any Dye course whether designed by Pete himself of his son

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I like flat courses with a lot of water that have many of risk reward shots.  I love drivable par fours and reachable par fives.  Also, I want a par 74 with 6 par fives.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Without a doubt,  100% it's true links golf for me.  I live in the wrong geographical area for this but have had the oppurtunuty to go to Scotland as well as Bandon Dunes.  Nothing like standing on a tee box with the ocean 40 yards to your right and the wind howling 30mph.  Other than my wife and kids,  nothing stands above my memories of those trips.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Without a doubt,  100% it's true links golf for me.  I live in the wrong geographical area for this but have had the oppurtunuty to go to Scotland as well as Bandon Dunes.  Nothing like standing on a tee box with the ocean 40 yards to your right and the wind howling 30mph.  Other than my wife and kids,  nothing stands above my memories of those trips.

Bandon Dunes and golf in Scotland are on my bucket list.

I've been pretty lucky, I've played in lots of different places, from the nearly flat water-filled courses along the southeast US coast, the Sandhills around Pinehurst, more parkland courses in my home are of Northern Virginia.  I've played a few courses in Hawaii, and have made some trips to Ireland and Scotland.  I had my first experience with desert golf around Scottsdale just last year.  I love them all, but my favorite are the links courses of Scotland and Ireland.  Royal Dornoch, the boyhood home of Donald Ross is my absolute favorite.  I also love the Donald Ross courses in and around Pinehurst, and was lucky enough to be a marshal for the US Open just completed.  Still, whether its the dramatic dunes of Ballybunion or Lahinch in Ireland, or the more level, more subdued challenge of the Old Course or Carnoustie, I think the true links are the best fun.

By the way, what did you all think about the dramatic changes to Pinehurst?

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I grew up playing the courses of central Kentucky, rolling terrain.  I have played the courses in Bermuda, North Dakota, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina & Florida.

I love the rolling hills and a links style course with rolling dunes in the middle of the fairway really catch my eye. In FL, most of the lies are flat.  There is a course in Ocala that is a muni......it has all the elements of a rolling hills, water, trees links course.  You can play it for $30. Ocala Golf Club..

http://www.ocalagolfclub.com/

Greens:   Emerald Dwarf Bermuda Tees:   419 and Celebration Fairways:   Bermuda Sand Bunkers:   34 Water Hazards:   Yes Golf Carts:   Gas Carts Optional Walking:   No restrictions Rental Clubs:   Available in Right and Left Hand Practice Facility:   Driving Range, Putting Green, Short Game Area, Bunkers Dress Code:   Golf Attire Required. Spikeless Golf Shoes.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My favorite course is the tight mountain courses.  Not that I play them well, it is just that around here they are rare.  But I love the elevated tee shots. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I love long semi-open courses.  Somewhere I can rip driver and always find it.  Going to play Mirimichi (Justin Timberlakes course by Memphis) in a few weeks and it is 7500yds of pure golf heaven.  That distance allows me to pound driver and have full shots into the greens, instead of the half wedges that I struggle with.

Give me anything Dye, I've yet to play one of his courses that I didn't love and I've played lots. Of course that means I like the Ross courses that I've played because that's an easy connect the dots.

Give me nothing Palmer, love the man, love the golfer find that everyone of his courses doesn't fit my eye and there is always a hole or two that makes me scratch my head because it's best played 6 iron, 4 iron or something ridiculous like that. For those who say Bayhill remember that it's a rework - I like the course well enough but it's hardly a Palmer original.

In the end I love the variety. I've played in Scottsdale, in the hills in KY and Vermont, in the Midwest, in the South and in Spain. Every good course and architect brings a unique experience.

I'm shocked that Foz didn't mention World Woods - we need to play there next my friend, you won't believe you are in Florida. That will satisfy your taste for elevation change and if you want links style it's there as well.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev,  put WW on the agenda.....

Right now I am thinking Kearney Hill GC......it is literally next door to my Sister's house in NW Lexington, where I will be staying next week.  It is a Pete Dye & Son course that is also a muni....

Probably have to play it as a single......even has Senior rates for weekdays ($31.00) with a cart....The Senior PGA played there from 1990-1997.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Give me anything Dye, I've yet to play one of his courses that I didn't love and I've played lots. Of course that means I like the Ross courses that I've played because that's an easy connect the dots.

Give me nothing Palmer, love the man, love the golfer find that everyone of his courses doesn't fit my eye and there is always a hole or two that makes me scratch my head because it's best played 6 iron, 4 iron or something ridiculous like that. For those who say Bayhill remember that it's a rework - I like the course well enough but it's hardly a Palmer original.

In the end I love the variety. I've played in Scottsdale, in the hills in KY and Vermont, in the Midwest, in the South and in Spain. Every good course and architect brings a unique experience.

I'm shocked that Foz didn't mention World Woods - we need to play there next my friend, you won't believe you are in Florida. That will satisfy your taste for elevation change and if you want links style it's there as well.

Funny, I played a Dye course in Vegas and followed it up right away with a Palmer. Loved Coyote Springs, it's a lot more open then I would have thought. Anyway, it is interesting to hear how different we all are. Maybe it's because there's one or two course styles that are found in specific locations, which means you don't get to play them that often.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 2 weeks later...

if i designed courses,.. every 18th would be a risk/ reward par 5. and 14th would be a reachable par 4. i hate a wedge contest deciding things.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

My favorite place to play is in Palm Springs. Holes are lined with palm trees, and depending in where you play the rough looks an awful look like fairway. I can hit my drive wherever I want and then not worry about my second shot. My good vs. bad drives are the difference maker for me. It's my club that can definitely turn on and off.

X2  Haven't met a Dye course I haven't liked.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Anything that wasn't designed by Donald Ross is ok with me :)

I love courses with water and plenty of it. I'm happy to drive an extra distance for that. Elevated tee shots are a lot of fun.

My new favorite reasonably priced course in my area is President's Golf Course in Quincy, MA. 14 and 15 are awesome holes where the tee shot is way above the fairway. On 15, there's a huge pond you need to avoid, but landing a good tee shot is tough. The rest of the course is fun and well designed, but those two holes make the course. 

My only real complaint about it is it is so tight that on some holes, an errant tee shot can hit straight into other golfers.

• 4 weeks later...

Without a doubt. Medium length (6500-6900 yard), target type bunker is good, water is better, and most important narrow.

I'm not a long hitter but hit 11-12 fairway each round. This type of course fit my style of play, no ego, lay up welcome.

My club is like that and worst than ob left and/or right it lines with nice houses. You need to have your nerve together especially when you sail one OB into the house at 7am. Usually, it also require to work the ball a bit on the tee and definitely need to be able to work the ball high and low shots. Long par 3s, 200+ yard even better.

Great money course, as most people can not keep it together off the tee.

It beats long wide open course anyday :D

I just got back from spending two weeks in Ireland.  Felt like there were dozens of courses to choose from within an arm's reach of everywhere I went.  I'd say about 70% were links.  Played links for my first time there and I have to say it's a lot of fun.  Takes some getting used to, but adds something different to the game (and takes a bit away too).  I didn't do to well, but I can't wait to play again.

"Call me Broda.  Instead of being little and green, I wear suits and I'm awesome."

- Barney Stinson

GorillaMan, tell us, which courses did you play, where did you stay, what did you enjoy most?

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Archived