Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bruise on the knuckle

revkev

For quite some time I've noticed that when I'm hitting the ball well I get a bruise on the knuckle of my right pointer finger.  I hadn't seen that bruise in quite some time but it appeared after I went to the range on Saturday, worsened after Sunday's round and its reappeared again today.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?  Does anyone have an explanation as to why? 

It only happens when I'm striking the ball consistently well.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

What kind of grip do you have?

Only thing I can think of is sometimes I do get a bruise on one of my fingers from where the lowest point of my grip is. Think it has something to do with how I power through the shot. Idk if yours is similar but it doesn't kill my game.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

As I was beginning my swing change I found that i created a sore spot in the rough area you are talking about Rev. From my experience it was me trying to get what felt like some serious forward shaft lean at impact and driving through the ball. This motion was basically led by my right pointer finger and absorbed a lot of the impact vibration, but thankfully toughened up fairly quickly so it wasnt much of an issue after a little while. Hope this helps

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

As I was beginning my swing change I found that i created a sore spot in the rough area you are talking about Rev. From my experience it was me trying to get what felt like some serious forward shaft lean at impact and driving through the ball. This motion was basically led by my right pointer finger and absorbed a lot of the impact vibration, but thankfully toughened up fairly quickly so it wasnt much of an issue after a little while. Hope this helps

I will certainly welcome more input and appreciate the other comments but I think this is it. I had a myriad of issues going on but bottom line is I was way too inside leading to a shallow approach which meant I was unable to compress the ball.

I've strengthened my grip and am focused on trying to get everything going left on the downswing. For the first month it felt impossible and I had little success. Over the last two weeks though things have started to click. I did have a serious set back in my round with Foz but that was at the end of a four day conference where I had no chance to swing a club and no range to warm up on. Now when I hit it right I compress the ball again and get a nice, high baby draw. That's been my normal ball flight for 35 years so I know I'm doing something right.

Essentially I'm doing what Salmon is describing. I had gotten to the point where I had to swing from the heals to hit a 7 140 and into the wind was killing me because I wasn't hitting it solidly. Sunday and again today I've bee hitting it 155 with very little effort and my misses are going 150. I had to give up on my 5 wood because I couldn't handle the stiff shaft that I had in it to flight it down a bit. Trotted it out today and was hitting it 200 warming up and knocked it a bit past pin high from 195 on the course. I also hit a beauty on a lay up that was over 200.

Last week I posted in another thread that if my clubs were stolen it would give me an excuse to quit the game. Today I'm prepared to renounce that comment. :). It's not perfect but it's moving in a positive direction. Oddly the hybrids haven't come around yet although I hit a few on the range today that were passable.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've had that on my left pointer finger knuckle but not the right, I think mine comes from the interlock grip so I'm not sure how the right pointer finger would come in play for you. Also, my knuckle doesn't bruise but swells up a little bit.

Interesting. 

Glad you solved it. For me I usually get bad callouses in weird spots in my hand. Think that's from like you all said compressing the ball.

Hope the swing changes keep you from hanging it up.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

To be sure there are good places to have callouses and bad places. I just know that I get this bruise when I'm hitting the ball well. It never hurts interestingly enough.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

To be sure there are good places to have callouses and bad places. I just know that I get this bruise when I'm hitting the ball well. It never hurts interestingly enough.

Besides hitting the ball well, at least you have another way you know you are swinging well.

Medical tape and keep at it

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Medical tape and keep at it

Thanks - its really coming along and its amazing how far afield I had drifted.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived