Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Strong PGA Tour Debut for PING G30 Driver

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

While I'm sure it's happened before, it's certainly not common for a new driver to capture its first win in its first week of USGA conformity, but that's exactly what the PING G30 did.

According to PGATour.com's Jonathan Wall, 8 players including Angel Cabrera, Charles Howell III, and of course, Bubba Watson had the driver in the bag for the first time in competition play.

Wall reports that Tournament Winner, Cabrera (who also played a G30 Fairway Wood), picked up 2 miles/hour ball speed and 4-6 yards of carry. 

Also noteworthy, Howell and Watson finished 1-2 in driving distance for the week.

All of this highlights what I find most interesting about the G30 series. While the products themselves are basically what you'd expect from PING, intentional or otherwise, there appears to be a bit of a shift in the target market demographics.

If you consider length and lofts...even with that stuff about ratios being inline with the Eye2, my read is that the G25 has moved a notch or two further to the game-improvement side. The woods however, in my estimation, have moved that same notch or two in the opposite direction, and have done so without sacrificing any of the performance that makes the G-series, the G-series.. 

Just a guess, but I believe the G30 will eventually prove to be the most played G-series driver ever on tour, and I also think that those of us who have previously not viewed the G-series as a series option, have reason to rethink the decision. 

Absolutely...it looks HUGE at address, but it's insanely forgiving, and unless you give it the open face swipe, or the toe down blast, it does an amazing job of staying between the white lines. 

In our G30 launch article I had a great line from PING's Marty Jertson about PING not wanting to create the most aerodynamic driver ever...just the best driver ever, and while it's way to early to declare them successful, the numbers suggest they've made solid improvement over the G25, the intangibles I've experienced suggest a more significant improvement.

Add it to your demo list...no rush, you've probably got 2 years before the G35.

WITB Angel Cabrera (Greenbrier Classic)

Driver: G30 (9 degree),45.25", Aldila Rogue 80-X tip 1",D4
Fairway Wood: G30([email protected]), 43", Aldila RIP Alpha80-X tip 1.5",D4
Irons: i25 2-iron,  S55 3-9,PW , +1/4", Red, X100/cushin, D3
Wedges: Anser (54-D6),Tour Gorge(60/TS),+1/4", S400
Putter: Scottsdale TR Anser 2B, 37",21lie,3loft, PP58 Mid
Grip: TV 58R BCT +2 logo dwn

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Let's see if it can beat my SLDR.  I wish my course had ping clubs.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

A shocking debut, to say the least. Watching Cabrera hit those massive shots coming down the home stretch was eye-opening. Was he always such a bomber? I never thought so. I will be watching his and all the other Ping staffers' stats very closely to see if there is a detectable bump or not.

Of course, we also must ask ourselves how much of his bump is due to the impossible-to-find Aldila Rogue shaft, which won't even be offered as an upgrade when the club is released.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Archived