Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Most Wanted Golf Ball?

Kenny B

I know that a lot of the new balls have been tested over the last couple of years, mostly individually by forum members.  Is there going to be a Most Wanted golf ball test coming up?  Not sure what the criteria would be but should address how they react off different clubs, spin vs. roll, controlling putts, etc.  Or is it too "feel-oriented" and not "datacratic enough?  Just wondering because the current blog topic on Nike says their RZN ball is great, others say Wilson FG tour, NXT tour, and of course the infamous Pro V1.  Is there really a performance difference between the top balls, or should we go for what's on sale?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I would second this request.  We've had ball testing of individual brands in the past and we did have a community review of some of the Bridgestone offerings earlier this year but I'd love to see a comparative study for distance, spin off of full irons, spin off of wedges and spin around the greens.

Feel is so subjective that there could be mention of it in the comments section.

It would be pretty cool.....

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'd absolutely THIRD this notion!   It might be very hard to meter, though.

I'd like to see it for the main reason that I perceive the ProV1's unquestioned superiority is shrinking.   Maybe I'm an elitist, but in the past I'd only play the ProV's, or maybe a TM Penta, or a Bridgestone B330.   But this year I've tested THREE new balls that I would play gladly besides the ProV.  The Nike RZN Platinum is dandy, the Wilson FG Tour is my current favorite, and the Titleist NXT Tour S is every bit as good as its big brother.  

There are probably others that would surprise me too.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I always welcome new tests but think there's a lot of subjectivity to golf balls. For instance: I spin the Pro V1 far too much to use all the time, but most golfers rave about it. Still would love to see what the softies feel and which one has the best spin around the greens.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• SPY VIP

So many underrated balls I think get overlooked and something like this needs to happen. For instance I've played Tmag Project (a) and Bridgestone 330rx of late and they perform on an outstanding level. I was shocked how good the Project(a) is stepping down from the TMaG TPX.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

That's why we would love to see a test.

I've tried two of the mid level balls that I've always railed against in the. Past three weeks because I'm nit wanting to pat 45 a dozen and I need to find a ball to play.

I have been extremely impressed with the Project A and even more impressed with the RZN red. I think the project a actually spins better around the greens but I like the ball flight of the RZN a bit more for me and it spins enough. I would like it to spin more off of my irons but it's good enough around the greens to work. Both of these balls are great values IMO.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I found a project a ball, and have played it for like 3 games now..I shot a 70 with it, the a week later I played a proV and shot an 87 haha, so obviously it was all the ball right?

But, I did really like the project a, but i don't seem to find them. Are they new?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 1 month later...

I would second this request.  We've had ball testing of individual brands in the past and we did have a community review of some of the Bridgestone offerings earlier this year but I'd love to see a comparative study for distance, spin off of full irons, spin off of wedges and spin around the greens.

Feel is so subjective that there could be mention of it in the comments section.

It would be pretty cool.....

I can see a test for distance and spin off full irons and wedges; not sure about shots around the green.  Everyone plays short shots differently with different clubs, it may be difficult to set up a meaningful test for all.

I suggest that the people that conducted the Most Wanted Driver test pick their favorite and us it to compare different balls; similar test with a mid-iron and full PW/SW.  Around the green is a feel shot, but opinions would be nice.  What about putting?  Not sure most people would be able to tell the difference between the top balls among brands.  

I have always been a ProV1 fan, but lately have been playing Srixon Z Star.  I found a NXT Tour S in new shape a few weeks ago, and I must admit that I agree with Markb that I find it as good as the ProV1, but that may be course dependent.

Test coming up?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I can see a test for distance and spin off full irons and wedges; not sure about shots around the green.  Everyone plays short shots differently with different clubs, it may be difficult to set up a meaningful test for all.

I suggest that the people that conducted the Most Wanted Driver test pick their favorite and us it to compare different balls; similar test with a mid-iron and full PW/SW.  Around the green is a feel shot, but opinions would be nice.  What about putting?  Not sure most people would be able to tell the difference between the top balls among brands.  

I have always been a ProV1 fan, but lately have been playing Srixon Z Star.  I found a NXT Tour S in new shape a few weeks ago, and I must admit that I agree with Markb that I find it as good as the ProV1, but that may be course dependent.

Test coming up?

Actually the biggest reason I switched brands was feel off the putter. I think a ton is subjective but a lot may be felt by a majority  of golfers, such as one ball playing softer on mishits or being firmer. Perhaps the most wanted golfball might not be determined, but perhaps some light may be shed without myself going to the range and dropping 20-40 bucks for 5-6 dozen different golf balls.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I am a personal fan of the Bridgestone e7s.

But I would love to see a test as well. There is no real subjective way to test them, when it comes down to "feel" it is all about the individual.

But as for objective tests, put all the balls on Iron Mike and let him hit them with drivers , long and short irons. The data is all layed out and cant be disputed then. I am sure there is another robot that does putting as well.

either way, I would love to test them all myself, but would spend too much time shagging them from the treeline.

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

It would be interesting, although IMO ball choice is really a matter of personal preference and what, "feels" best to you.

For me, a ball has to make a certain sound at impact for me to like it.  I like balls that have a softer sound, more of a dull thud over balls that have a harder, more clicky sound.

Im sure theres plenty of people out there who are the complete opposite.  For me personally, the Bridgestone B330-RXS is THE ball.  Its just magic for me.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

It would be interesting, although IMO ball choice is really a matter of personal preference and what, "feels" best to you.

For me, a ball has to make a certain sound at impact for me to like it.  I like balls that have a softer sound, more of a dull thud over balls that have a harder, more clicky sound.

Im sure theres plenty of people out there who are the complete opposite.  For me personally, the Bridgestone B330-RXS is THE ball.  Its just magic for me.

I'm with you there Shogun. If you don't like the feel of a ball, it's not going to happen for you.

I usually play the e5 but bought a box of B330-RXS' on a whim (I've used them before) and I'm exactly the same as you...it's magic for me.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have gamed the B330RX, B330RXS, e6, Project(a), Duo, Super Soft,  NXT Tour S, Maxfli U3, Z Star, Prov V1 & Pro V1x this summer. I play for straight distance off the driver, control off the irons and feel off the putter.  Of all of these, I liked the B330RXS & Srixon Z Star the best. When I get through using my stash of new balls, I will probably go for the B330RXS or Srixon Z Star.  By that time, it should be a prior generation or available as AAAAA quality used for about $24/dozen.  At that price I will play the used balls.  Remember, once you hit the new ball off the tee it is used.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

.....By that time, it should be a prior generation or available as AAAAA quality used for about $24/dozen.  At that price I will play the used balls.  Remeber, once you hit the new ball off the tee it is used.

That's the route I go too.  I keep trying different balls and always end up using a ProV by the end of the round.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

So many underrated balls I think get overlooked and something like this needs to happen. For instance I've played Tmag Project (a) and Bridgestone 330rx of late and they perform on an outstanding level. I was shocked how good the Project(a) is stepping down from the TMaG TPX.

I'll second this. The Project (a) is without question my favorite ball out there right now.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I have gamed the B330RX, B330RXS, e6, Project(a), Duo, Super Soft,  NXT Tour S, Maxfli U3, Z Star, Prov V1 & Pro V1x this summer. I play for straight distance off the driver, control off the irons and feel off the putter.  Of all of these, I liked the B330RXS & Srixon Z Star the best. When I get through using my stash of new balls, I will probably go for the B330RXS or Srixon Z Star.  By that time, it should be a prior generation or available as AAAAA quality used for about $24/dozen.  At that price I will play the used balls.  Remember, once you hit the new ball off the tee it is used.

Wow!  And I thought I tried a lot of different balls this summer.  So, my question is "Are there any balls that you would not use again, and why?"  

I believe that most low/mid HCP prefer a soft feeling ball.  There is something about a "click" that does not inspire control and confidence.  Years ago, most 2-piece balls made that click, but today there are many really good 2-piece balls that react very well off the club.  So much so, that some of them are getting a little pricey.  

Used is definitely a good option.   I really hate to lose a new ball, particularly on the first tee!  LOL.  I hate it so much that I will save a new ball for the second hole!!

Nike RZN platinum has been treating me well the last few rounds

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Actually the biggest reason I switched brands was feel off the putter. I think a ton is subjective but a lot may be felt by a majority  of golfers, such as one ball playing softer on mishits or being firmer. Perhaps the most wanted golfball might not be determined, but perhaps some light may be shed without myself going to the range and dropping 20-40 bucks for 5-6 dozen different golf balls.

I agree that feel off the putter is important.  Maybe it's just me or my putter, but I can pick several top balls from different manufacturers and they will all feel pretty good off my putter, but will have different feel and results off wedges around the green.  I will not play a "clicky" ball.  I look for a ball that I can control around the green, and then putt with it to see if it feels good.  I really haven't found one that is good off a wedge that I won't putt.  If a ball gets past this test, then I try approach shots.  Since I am not a big hitter, the ball doesn't seem to matter much off the driver.

Right now I favor Srixon Z Star, and it has the added bonus of the Yellow option.  I like to play after work and since it is getting dark earlier, the yellow ball is much easier for me to see as the sun goes down.  I know other manufacturers also have yellow balls, but I prefer the Srixon shade of yellow best.  

Wow!  And I thought I tried a lot of different balls this summer.  So, my question is "Are there any balls that you would not use again, and why?"  

I did not like putting with the Super Soft or the Duo.  They were also a bit shorter than the others.  Unlike you, I do like a little "click" off the putter. I found that the Z Star and the B330RXS both provide straight flights, control to the green and clear smooth rolls to the hole.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

interestingly, I find that putter feel and sound is FAR more dependent upon the putter than the ball. My primary putter is an Odyssey with a white hot insert, and the only time I hear or feel anything from a putter contact is if I mishit the ball.  A clean strike in the middle of the insert and there is nothing, just a pure roll.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

interestingly, I find that putter feel and sound is FAR more dependent upon the putter than the ball. My primary putter is an Odyssey with a white hot insert, and the only time I hear or feel anything from a putter contact is if I mishit the ball.  A clean strike in the middle of the insert and there is nothing, just a pure roll.

That said, my putter for over the past year has been the Nike Method Drone. I guess the slight click comes from the putter but I do not get it on the super soft balls.

So many top quality new balls out there, I can't remember the last time I would willingly play so many different balls without a quibble. I prefer the Wilson Staff FG Tour, but I like the Nike RZN Platinum or Red, the NXT Tour and Tour s, the Project a, and the Tour Preferreds. And these are just the new balls.  And if you are playing subzero winter golf the Duo is great.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Archived