Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bettinardi for 10 bucks

Jondagcl

Picked this putter up today for 10 bucks at the antique flea market.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I took it out and rolled a few putts with it and it was pretty soft. Definitely too long for me, but it had a nice feel. So I polished it up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I looked it up and while it's worth more than the 10 I paid for it, it's definitely not a rare putter, or a highly desirable one from what I've researched. So my idea is to cut it down so my son can use it in the future. Would I be better off having the original shaft pulled and have a shorter one put in? Or just cut away so a little one can use it? The shaft band is toasted and the grip photographs nice enough but is split on the back. Just wanted to make sure I'm not performing some sort of sacrilege on the putter before I cut it down.

That looks fantastic once you have shined it up. Hope your son enjoys it, but I would'nt have a clue about the shaft sorry

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Nice.  I love the M-B logo on the bottom.  You can just cut the shaft down that is already one it.  Ive bought many putters on Ebay that were 35" and had them cut down to 33".  It does change the swing weight but IMO its not a big deal.  You can always add lead tape under the grip to add some swing weight if need be.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Thanks guys, yes, it definitely shined up pretty nice. Supposedly the MB logo signifies that it was a giveaway of some sort to finalists in an MB event. (According to my google searches)

First putter I do a really high polish to, and I think I got a little aggressive on the milling detail on the back of the putter. It's not as pronounced anymore as when I got it. The little swirls all around the logo got pretty light after the polish. Live and learn.

I should have probably been a little more specific though about just how much I need to cut it - probably around 10 inches or so. (It would be for a really little kid). Just wanted to confirm there's nothing about this putter I don't know yet. I like the idea of him eventually using something like this that has a cool story behind it until he's ready to pick his own stuff out.

Wow! Nice Find.......who woulda thought it would clean up that great.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Wow, you transformed that putter.  That was a great deal you found.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I should have probably been a little more specific though about just how much I need to cut it - probably around 10 inches or so. (It would be for a really little kid). Just wanted to confirm there's nothing about this putter I don't know yet. I like the idea of him eventually using something like this that has a cool story behind it until he's ready to pick his own stuff out.

I have no idea about the putters "backstory" but man that would be a pretty putter for a kid!  After you cut it down you will find the shaft too skinny for a regular putter grip.  You'll either need a juniors grip or add a bunch of tape to make a regular grip fit.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I have no idea about the putters "backstory" but man that would be a pretty putter for a kid!  After you cut it down you will find the shaft too skinny for a regular putter grip.  You'll either need a juniors grip or add a bunch of tape to make a regular grip fit.

The backstory is that dad got it for 10 bucks lol! I had not considered how thin the shaft would get cutting it that low. Good to know. I have some putter grips lying around, so a ton to tape buildup will be the route.

Nice find.  The other issue that you need to look at is the size of the grip after it is cut down.  My son is 8 and the putter that I had done for him has a standard grip which is like a midsize grip in his hands.  He says he likes it but what kid would not say that about a Byron done just for him?

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Thanks! That is yet another thing I had not considered - what a normal grip would feel like in small hands. I appreciate that feedback as well!

You had a Byron done just for him! That's awesome, I'm sure he was fired up about that. Any special stamping or colors or anything. Toss a picture in here if you want.

Thanks! That is yet another thing I had not considered - what a normal grip would feel like in small hands. I appreciate that feedback as well!

You had a Byron done just for him! That's awesome, I'm sure he was fired up about that. Any special stamping or colors or anything. Toss a picture in here if you want.

I had one done for my son and another for my middle daughter that they got for Christmas about 4 or 5 years ago.  I had two Byron Dalehead minis done for them with some stamping.  My son has his in his bag and loves it, but my daughter has not used hers all that much since it turns out she is left handed and the putter is right handed.  I can post a few pictures when I get home.

WITB 2024

I had one if those I got for free as a throw in in a trade. Ended up selling it for like $125-135 if memory serves

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thanks MBP! I appreciate that.

125-135! Man Rookie that's good news. I'm feeling better and better about this find as the day goes on. That's awesome! I was just thrilled that at 10 bucks I was able to bring the shine back out and have a useable putter.

Great find! On the grip route you can also use a ladies putter grip and they also make junior putter grips

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Now you just need to find a set of Miura Lexus irons and you could have a, "luxury car" bag.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 3 weeks later...

Some pics of the Byrons I had done for me son and my middle daughter.

WITB 2024

Archived