TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bigger putter grips and feel

mbrodeur86

I'm looking at buying a putter (an odyssey #2 black) but it has a Superstroke slim lite grip on it. I'm not to familiar with putter grips but wanted some opinions on how much putter feedback is lost when you go from the regular standard grip that comes with the putter to a grip like this which looks bigger than a regular putter grip?

I like milled putter faces for the feedback I get from the face and would not like to lose that.

Thanks

Lou

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Lou, I use a Superstroke on my milled putter and still get enough feedback to be able to tell if if hit the sweet spot and when I don't I can tell on which side was the miss and if it's just barely, a little, or a lot.  That said, that grip helps me keep my hands and wrists still so I miss it less frequently.  But I can always tell a pure stroke from a miss, even with my eyes closed.  Or else I'm just kidding myself.  Try it and see.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

Lou, I use a Superstroke on my milled putter and still get enough feedback to be able to tell if if hit the sweet spot and when I don't I can tell on which side was the miss and if it's just barely, a little, or a lot.  That said, that grip helps me keep my hands and wrists still so I miss it less frequently.  But I can always tell a pure stroke from a miss, even with my eyes closed.  Or else I'm just kidding myself.  Try it and see.

I think I will since I've only read good things about the putter and mostly positive things from the grip itself. I'm looking at 3 putter really but can't decide on which one. Odyssey #2, Taylormade Rossa TP Monaco by Kia Ma or Clevelan Classic 4.5. There's a SS 2 on one of them, an SS slim lite on another and the 3rd has the original putter grip. My big miss is pushing putts to the right. Was thinking it was an alignment issue but not sure. I'm currently using a Yes! Bella-12

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Lou,

I was having issues putting a few years ago when Super Stroke was first becoming popular.  I decided I had to have one, but when I went to order them, I found that they had several options.  I took Ace Bandages and built up to the biggest size and went to put on my "putting green" in the office.

I could barely hit the correct wall.  I was missing by 6 feet.  So I took the largest wrap off and got down to the next size.  I was just missing by 3'.  Long story short, I eventually removed all the bandages and got down to the midsize that was on it.  I was just burning the edge.  I went and bought the cheapest smallest grip I could find.  And started making putts.

I have moved on to a nicer grip now, but it is still the slim Pistol type grip that comes on most putters.  For some people, the larger grip interferes with the natural stroke.  I was surprised by this.  I have big hands and the larger grip felt more comfortable to me.  I had been playing the mid size for year, and missing putts.

So, as with a lot of things in golf, the most comfortable is not necessarily the right way.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Lou,

I was having issues putting a few years ago when Super Stroke was first becoming popular.  I decided I had to have one, but when I went to order them, I found that they had several options.  I took Ace Bandages and built up to the biggest size and went to put on my "putting green" in the office.

I could barely hit the correct wall.  I was missing by 6 feet.  So I took the largest wrap off and got down to the next size.  I was just missing by 3'.  Long story short, I eventually removed all the bandages and got down to the midsize that was on it.  I was just burning the edge.  I went and bought the cheapest smallest grip I could find.  And started making putts.

I have moved on to a nicer grip now, but it is still the slim Pistol type grip that comes on most putters.  For some people, the larger grip interferes with the natural stroke.  I was surprised by this.  I have big hands and the larger grip felt more comfortable to me.  I had been playing the mid size for year, and missing putts.

So, as with a lot of things in golf, the most comfortable is not necessarily the right way.

Totally understand what you mean. I've never really given the putter grip a second thought until I started reading about what I was doing wrong and how most people went to a bigger grip and it fixed their problem. 

For me, it's a lot more about feel. I want and need to feel the ball or else I'm lost. I've tried many putters in my short time playing (7 years really) but I am really tired of missing my putts, especially to the right. My distance control is pretty good, not perfect, but I can leave myself a small tap in from 10-15 feet fairly often but I want to be making at least 50 to 80 percent of my 10 foot putts. Might be asking a lot but it's my goal. Feel is incredibly important to me.

One more thing, I am not familiar with Odyssey putter much at all.  The big grips are designed to limit the amount of face rotation during the putt.  Putters are designed to either rotate open (toe flow) and closed or not rotate.  IMO putting a big grip on a strong toe flow putter defeats the purpose of the putter.  You have a head designed to do one thing and a grip designed to do the opposite. 

The Ping iPhone app helps you find the putter (PIng brand of course, which I do not use either) that best fits your stroke.

especially to the right.

I am no expert but missing to the right for me was a sign that I needed more toe flow, more rotation than less.  The face rotates open going back and closed going through.  Missing to the right is a sign of not getting the face back to closed.  Also, moving the ball up a bit in the stance would give the putter more time to close.

What the big grips really so is force you to go more straight back and through.  All I know is that in my case, the solution was to have a grip that did not interfere with the natural flow, and to have a more consistent ball placement in my stance.

Sort of funny that no matter how many bandages I used I could not solve the problem without going back to basics.  Set up and grip and stroke.  However, I never think about stroke now.  Simply set up, the line, and then the distance.

Lou, once you order the putter, if you end up not liking the grip you can always change to something else. But to your question about muting feel or feedback. There's a certain amount of feel that the putter had when I was using a traditional grip, then a different one with the larger grip. Over time you learn the feedback that you are receiving with your hands placed in a slightly different position. I have the SuperStrok Slim 3.0 - it doesn't "feel" the same as my old grip, but I have not lost any feedback. I've been able to put a more consistent and repeatable roll on the ball.

Side note, I initially disliked how busy the grip was over my old simple black grip. I eventually realized I could use the logo and color patterns on the grip to make sure I'm holding the putter the same each time. You're probably thinking this is a lame or not useful tidbit of info, but after I figured out where my hands where when I was putting the best, game over. I was making a ton more putts.

I am no expert but missing to the right for me was a sign that I needed more toe flow, more rotation than less.  The face rotates open going back and closed going through.  Missing to the right is a sign of not getting the face back to closed.  Also, moving the ball up a bit in the stance would give the putter more time to close.

What the big grips really so is force you to go more straight back and through.  All I know is that in my case, the solution was to have a grip that did not interfere with the natural flow, and to have a more consistent ball placement in my stance.

Sort of funny that no matter how many bandages I used I could not solve the problem without going back to basics.  Set up and grip and stroke.  However, I never think about stroke now.  Simply set up, the line, and then the distance.

I think you and I have discussed this before because we have the same philosophy on putting and evidently use the same method of arc putting. I did try the Super Stroke when they first came out because I got one to try for free. I did not use the giant one  but the 3.0 I think and found out I could not rotate the face closed. Recently I had been messing around with a couple of Tour Edge big grips again I got for free. These are about the same size and configuration of the old Tiger Shark grips. I like the feel as far as my hands but again I cannot rotate the face closed. Went out to the shop this evening and changed that before mentioned grip and put on an old school Lamkin wrap grip. Wow what a difference. I went to my local lighted course and range and putted for about an hour and made darn near everything I stood over. I am going to quit messing around  with these new fangled grips and stick to old school

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thank you guys, your opinions are really helping. I'm down to 2 putters. The odyssey is gone. Taylormade or Cleveland. Both milled faces, nice looking putters but the Cleveland has a different grip than stock. My major concern though is feel. I don't want to lose any of that valuable feedback.  I can always change the grip like Jon said which can be an issue since access to guys who can actually do it are few and far between in my neck of the woods. 

I probably should have mentioned that I putt straight back-straight through and I position the ball pretty forward in my stance.  So maybe the Superstroke is just a good fit for me.  I have a 3.0 on my Bettinardi and a 2.0 on my Ping.

The feel of the Bettinardi is way better than that of the Ping, even though the grip is thicker.  I think that the intensity of the feedback is more correlated to the putter head material than the thickness of the grip.

Also, a lot of Tour pros are using Superstrokes and not all of them use face-balanced putters.  I have to believe that feel is very important for them too and they don't get paid enough to use the grip to offset the prospect of not winning tournaments.

Like someone else said you can always change back if you don't like it.  Best of luck.  There are a lot of good options for putters and grips.

I can't overstate the importance of fitting for length and lie angle as these two factors contribute to consistently hitting the sweet spot with your stroke.  You want your hands to be in a comfortable, repeatable position.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

I probably should have mentioned that I putt straight back-straight through and I position the ball pretty forward in my stance.  So maybe the Superstroke is just a good fit for me.  I have a 3.0 on my Bettinardi and a 2.0 on my Ping.

The feel of the Bettinardi is way better than that of the Ping, even though the grip is thicker.  I think that the intensity of the feedback is more correlated to the putter head material than the thickness of the grip.

Also, a lot of Tour pros are using Superstrokes and not all of them use face-balanced putters.  I have to believe that feel is very important for them too and they don't get paid enough to use the grip to offset the prospect of not winning tournaments.

Like someone else said you can always change back if you don't like it.  Best of luck.  There are a lot of good options for putters and grips.

I can't overstate the importance of fitting for length and lie angle as these two factors contribute to consistently hitting the sweet spot with your stroke.  You want your hands to be in a comfortable, repeatable position.

That last sentence says it all that is the number one thing period!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'm a strong arc putter too.  I tried the Superstroke (won it here on MGS actually) and it didn't hurt or help me.  But......putters with a lot of toe hang always works better (for me).  Face-balanced putters make me try and "adjust" in my stroke....never works real well.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I'm,as far as I can tell, a slight arc putter and at 34", my arms hang just slightly bent so it feels right to me. I've just lost so much confidence in my putting. We lost our league match tonight and other than draining 1 15 footer, I missed 3 or 4 5 foot putts. I'll do anything that works and reasonable. 

I have an old TM Spyder, and Switched the stock grip to a super stroke a few months ago. Took a couple rounds to get comfortable, but I never had issues with feel. I was very nervous at first, but I love it.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I switched to a Nike Method Drone a little over a year ago......it had the Nike (Winn style) grip.  I learned to reposition my hands a bit and began to nail my putts. Now that my grip is going south on me, I also am looking around.  I would like a midsize grip at most but am afraid to try the big monster grips. I have very small hands (Cadet Medium). I thought about the midsize Secret Grip with the back weighting....will probably try to find a close replacement.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

One more thing, I am not familiar with Odyssey putter much at all.  The big grips are designed to limit the amount of face rotation during the putt.  Putters are designed to either rotate open (toe flow) and closed or not rotate.  IMO putting a big grip on a strong toe flow putter defeats the purpose of the putter.  You have a head designed to do one thing and a grip designed to do the opposite. 

The Ping iPhone app helps you find the putter (PIng brand of course, which I do not use either) that best fits your stroke.

I was wondering if you hold the face slightly open at address? That is what I do. Most Odyssey putters sit too closed face for me at address and they seem too delofted at address for me. I have not bought one to try to bend up at all I am just speaking about the ones I have tried at the golf shops. Most Pings set up well for me except the mallett style. I have tried some of the counterweighted putters at Golfsmith and I cannot feel or rotate the head and like you said with the larger grip and counterweight it would be counterproductive to guys like you and I IMHO

G

I switched to a Nike Method Drone a little over a year ago......it had the Nike (Winn style) grip.  I learned to reposition my hands a bit and began to nail my putts. Now that my grip is going south on me, I also am looking around.  I would like a midsize grip at most but am afraid to try the big monster grips. I have very small hands (Cadet Medium). I thought about the midsize Secret Grip with the back weighting....will probably try to find a close replacement.

Well Foz I dont know if you do your own repair work or not. If you do try several grips with several different counterweight combinations for you. Use air to blow the grips on and off. I have been helping a friend of mine on building his counterweight putter and finally I think we got it right.But if you dont do your own club work that midsize Secret Grip may work well for you. Counterweighting is subjective like everything else in golf. It may work well for you. I am no expert by any means but if I can offer any more help or suggestions feel free to ask

G

Archived