Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

MGS Community Labs - SCOR Short Iron Testing

GolfSpy WD

communitylabs-Scor-header.jpg

SCOR contacted us at MGS a few weeks ago wanting to pit their short irons against cavity backs, claiming that cavity backs offering forgiveness on short irons is a myth. They tried this test on other sites, but the results came back with only anecdotal evidence and very little solid metrics collected. With MGS's reputation, which includes our members, SCOR asked if we can produce something better. Can they send a pitching wedge and gap wedge to our members and prove what their tests on an Iron Byron already showed them:

newironbyron.jpg

http://www.scorgolf.com/golf-wedge-comparison/

The challenges SCOR laid out for us are:

Challenge 1) Cavity back short irons are forgiving: They aren't - Iron Byron has proven that. On toe and high face hits, SCOR iron dispersion was up to 71 feet better. 

Challenge 2) A conventional wedge is as consistent as anything on full swings - The truth is, a conventional wedge design, with a low center of gravity and thin upper face, was never meant to be swung full. But we use them that way. SCOR progressive weighting design, along with the turn interaction advantages of the V Sole, result in significant dispersion gains. 

In other words, we are primarily looking at full swings and need to show that not only are SCOR's blade style short irons as forgiving as a cavity back, but their dispersion is better.

heads.png

This is going to be different than other Community reviews in that in this thread the testers will be periodically posting their results rather than waiting 4 weeks and giving a summary at the end. SCOR asked for testers from a wide range of handicaps, so we have RevKev for our lower handicap tester, MmmmmmmBuddy as our mid handicap tester, and myself as the high handicap tester. At the end of our test, I will write up the results and post it on the blog.

The three of us will be using the local driving ranges, par 3s, and any access to launch monitors we can get to run our tests. Early results show each environment is good for the following:

Driving Range: While it's notoriously hard to figure out distance without some device measuring it for us, the driving range is great for testing dispersion when you have a target to aim or two points to aim between. Also, for grass tees, we can test SCOR's claims of turf interaction.

Par 3: You can go to a par 3 with nothing but a Pitching wedge and Gap wedge. The main benefit is being able to hit a few balls, walk up to them, and use a trusty tape measure to figure out the dispersion. There's also multiple different turfs (tee box, rough, fairway) and landing zones. When measuring dispersion, the fairway is actually the best place since there won't be as much roll.

LMs: This is pretty obvious. Nic has plenty of access to a LM, so we should see interesting results.

IMGP5460.JPG

In my mind, I prefer the Par 3 results because we mainly care about how the irons perform on the course. At a full course, each individual iron may only be used a few times, but at a par 3 we'll use it quite a bit. Our goal is to provide results each week in this thread. Again, this isn't a wedge test, it's a short game test, so we're looking mainly at full shots, focusing on left/right dispersion and short/far dispersion. We will probably throw in a few subjective notes such as feel too, but dispersion is our main stat.

To everyone reading this, this is our first Community Labs and I'd love to continue doing them. Please offer suggestions on how you might test or how we might collect different results. Those who are most involved have the best chance of joining in future Community Labs tests!

WD Test Set: 

44* and 48*
KBS Steel Firm Flex, +1/2" length, Standard lie, Midsize Grip.
(Comparing against Taylormade Rocketbladez irons)

Nic Test Set:
46* and 50*
Genius 12 Steel Shafts In Firm -.25 inches, Standard Lie. Standard Grips.
(Comparing against Adams CB1 Pro Black and C. Carnahan Wedge)

RevKev Test Set:
44* and 48* 
Genius 7 Graphite R Flex, +1/2" length, 2 degrees flat, Standard size Grip.
(Comparing against Wilson C100 irons)

heads_n_grips.jpg

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SCOR Member Short Iron Test

By RevKev

I've bagged two SCOR wedges for about two years and so I was delighted to be selected to test for them in a very unique format.  According to WD the challenge was to test two SCOR short irons against my own short irons, my GW and 9 iron to be specific.  However once SCOR learned how jacked the lofts on all of our short irons were it was decided to modify the test to GW vs. SCOR 48 and PW vs. SCOR 44.

By now most of us know the premise but for any newbies or visitors its very important to be aware that this is not a traditional wedge test from 100 yards in, flop shots, part shots, heavy rough, sand, pitches, chips, feel, stuff like that.  Instead its a full shot accuracy and forgiveness test.

It all began when SCOR tested using the MGS favorite device, the Iron Byron robot.  In that test their blade like design consistently finished closer to the flag on full shots than the popular GI irons that they were tested against.  This was especially true on off center hits.

The specs of my irons were sent to SCOR who then built and sent me two short irons fit to be similar in distance my Wilson C 100's which I was very recently fit for.  The Wilson's are 1.5 flat, an inch longer than standard with 6.1 Matrix Studio R flex shafts.  The SCOR's carry the same lofts, 1/2" longer than SCOR standard, 2 degrees flat with genius 7 graphite R flex shafts.  I love the look of these shafts BTW.

For once I'm very happy to be that outlier low handicap guy who prefers a GI club.  I will be hitting tons of shots, head to head, on the short course at my club, to regular greens that are between 100 to 125 away.

Thanks SCOR and MGS for this great opportunity.  I'm looking for to testing and chatting, testing and chatting, testing and chatting some more over the course of the next month.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

SCOR Short Irons Member Review

By MmmmmmBuddy

I was invited by the staff at MGS to test the SCOR short irons scoring system vs my current short game arsenal. Needless to say, I was more than happy to contribute.  

I am currently playing Adams CB1 Pro Black PW at 46° and C.Carnahan Vintage Forged GW at 50°. The kind folks at SCOR have provided me with a pair of the beautiful 4161 Forged wedges at the same lofts and lengths that I currently play, 46° and 50°. I will make lie angle adjustments as needed. As a point of reference, I believe that I hit my 46° 125 yards, and my 50° 115 yards. 

4161-50-beauty-1-web.jpg

The “issues” that I have with my current setup are directional and consistency. I end up playing most of my shots from 135 and in at my club, and at this point, if I hit a green, I feel like I have won something at a carnival. This is not a good feeling. I either hit it right at the flag, or I miss the green by 25 yards.  I am hoping that the SCOR wedges will provide some better dispersion.  

WP_20140730_003.jpg

We have carried these scoring clubs at my shop for some time, so I am not unfamiliar with them (several of the better players that I work with are carrying more than one.) For whatever reason, I was never smitten with the shape or feel on the range. We will see if the real world testing changes my initial impressions. 

4161-hero-2-web.jpg

My testing methodology will be a mixture of on-course testing, and range testing, as well as a healthy dose of launch monitor work to get actual carry and total yardage numbers. The on course testing will be conducted at 2 separate courses, one Par 3 and one regulation length. The par 3 course that I have access to has very small greens and can be a bit windy at the times I can play. My range testing will be at 2 different ranges, one grass tee, and one mats.  Launch Monitor testing will be done using a FlightScope Kudu courtesy of Fiddler's Green Golf Center

Initial Impressions

The white box of wedges arrived at my house on the Wednesday that we arrived home from a 10 day family vacation. Needless to say, I was a bit tired from driving, unpacking the car, and getting back to work. I decided that in order to do any real justice to these beauties, I would need a day or 2 to recharge. I unpacked the wedges on Friday, proceeded to take several photos, and then off to the range we went.  Out of the box, the SCOR 4161 short irons are quite stunning. Smooth lines, shiny finish, minimal offset, bright red grip…  I like the look of these. How had I not appreciated them at the store??  Hmmmm….  

4161-grip-web.jpg

My Girls are going to be out of town this week, and all I will have to do on my list is Practice....

Results to follow soon..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

First post has been updated! In the spirit of the thread, here are my first results. Unfortunately my next set will have to wait as I'm going away for a week without golf, but I'll catch up later

Tested at the range, picking the space between two flags, roughly the size of a small green and hit 5 shots to them with both Scor clubs and my PW/AW Rbladez. Then I did it again for a total of 10 shots each.

If I hit between the two flags on a good shot, it was 1 point. If I hit really near them, it was 0.5 points, and a complete miss was 0 points. I re-did any fat or thin shot, though discussing how the clubs handle thin shots is also interesting.

Rbladez AW 4/10

Rbladez PW 6.5/10

Scor GW 6/10

Scor PW 6/10

I, for one, am  very interested in seeing your results. I play Speedblades and love the long and mid irons. But I hated the wedges and I'm not real wild about my 8-9-PW, which seem to produce my worst approaches.  When I can get close enough to use my forged GW or SW, I'm happy again This has got me to thinking that maybe I need to hit a forged 45° PW at the very least and Scor makes one. And Scor's stated premise would explain what I've been seeing. Hence my interest in this thread.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

The minute I read the initial post, I immediately thought - why do I use my 54 degree wedge so much (sometimes even over my 49 degree PW). Marks comment above got me thinking, I have forged blade wedges and given the option I'd rather use my blade wedge over my PW. I've actually been toying with the idea of dumping my cavity back PW and getting a 50 degree mackdaddy and bending it to 49. Super interested in this thread!

Mark,

We are each taking different approaches to our testing, at least thus far. WD has been on the range, I've been on the courses and Nic the LM. I've never found a set with a matched GW that I've liked. That includes my current gamers the Wilson C100's (yes someone plays Wilson). It also includes my back set of RocketBladzs although I think Taylor Made did a better job of making the Gap to that set look wedge like at least.

I've had the SCORs on the course three times. Once was a cameo at Sawgrass. I was hoping one of them would be the right club for 17 but no luck, the hole was playing 137 for us. The other two times I was on a relatively empty course, remember summer is offseason here, and I was able to go to my preferred yardages, aprox 105 and 118 and hit several balls and the measure the distance from the pin. Thus far the results with the GW have been stunning head to head with the Wilson. I've hit over 20 shots head to head and I'm averaging 19' from the hole with the SCOR wedges and 31 with the Wilson. Same relative specs on each club, I've only thrown one shot out and I shouldn't have hit it for a test like this anyway. It was from a severe side hill ball below the feet lie.

The PW is a different matter thus far, I've had great results with each club averaging right around 21' from the holes, very consistent, very forgiving in both cases.

Anecdotally I prefer the visual ball flight of the SCORs, more penetrating, easier to control on our summer sea breezes. I'm also a little longer withe the SCOR than my Wilson PW. If I were to toss the first five shots out I believe the SCOR might be ahead in the accuracy, dispersion race. It got drilled early though, I stuffed a couple of Wilson's in the first round to inside of 5 feet while I was 20 feet long with the SCOR wedge.

Today's another Florida day, hot, muggy and a 145 tee time less than 5 miles from the gulf. I will check back in later and will also be doing some serious data gathering at our local par 3 after church on Sunday. I'll be hitting a launch monitor before we wrap up to confirm what my eyes are telling me. Also I'd did the first set of tests with Nike RZN reds. I will do the next data set with a pro line ball. I saw some PRO VI logo over runs at my local golfsmith.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Intriguing topic - dumped a wedge this season.  Currently gaming Srixon Z-TX forged cavity backs, with a 42* 9 iron and 46* PW.  Did have wedges at 51, 54 and 58 degrees. but found that one of the 3 rarely was used.  Switched to 52 and 56 degree wedges, with decent results - good for 115 yards and in.  I like  SCOR's philosophy of consistency in the scoring clubs, and am anxious to see how you guys do... 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

My early testing has consisted of a few sessions on the range and a quick 18 on the Par 3 attached to my shop. (although it was blowing 30mph that afternoon.) Early visual indicators are that the SCOR wedges tend to fly on a lower trajectory, and spin a bit less. I will hop on the LM early next week and get some numbers, but I have a very strong feeling that this is going to be the case. 

Subjectively, I like these scoring clubs. The smaller head makes me feel like I am going pinhunting. The feel is quite good, and the lower ball flight is something that I was looking for in a wedge/short iron. 

A quick note on forgiveness. I perceive forgiveness in a golf club to be a clubs ability to cover up a golfers mistake. With a Scoring club, Like a 46° or a 50°, I would expect that most "correctable error" would be distance, and not left/right. When I miss a shot from 125 yards left or right, typically it is a swing or alignment error (happens very frequently). To me, the hallmark of a good scoring club is the ability to fly the prescribed distance, every time, even when I miss it a little thin or fat, or on the toe.  So the main focus for me on testing dispersion will be on correct distance control, and not too much focus on directional control (because I don't have any)....

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Mark,

Anecdotally I prefer the visual ball flight of the SCORs, more penetrating, easier to control on our summer sea breezes. I'm also a little longer withe the SCOR than my Wilson PW. If I were to toss the first five shots out I believe the SCOR might be ahead in the accuracy, dispersion race. It got drilled early though, I stuffed a couple of Wilson's in the first round to inside of 5 feet while I was 20 feet long with the SCOR wedge.

Rev a couple of quick thoughts questions. I'm thinking I wouldn't really want a penetrating shot with a pitching wedge. That may be why the 20 feet long? (Still looks like you are closer though with the SCOR based on the previous paragraph though 19 ft vs 31ft) Would it be possible when you go to your local golf shop to have them toss them on their loft/lie machine and check if they are indeed playing to what the bottom of the club says. I have nothing to suggest they shouldn't be, it's always interesting to just check out what clubs actually play at.

Rev a couple of quick thoughts questions. I'm thinking I wouldn't really want a penetrating shot with a pitching wedge. That may be why the 20 feet long? (Still looks like you are closer though with the SCOR based on the previous paragraph though 19 ft vs 31ft) Would it be possible when you go to your local golf shop to have them toss them on their loft/lie machine and check if they are indeed playing to what the bottom of the club says. I have nothing to suggest they shouldn't be, it's always interesting to just check out what clubs actually play at.

I specd mine out before I hit them. and needed to bend the lofts .5° to get them into correct spec. (The were 1/2° strong) Other than that, they were spot on. A little heavier than my current short gamers..  D4.5 and D5  

I know that WD will put my initial reactions post up in the placeholder spot but I don't want to come across as unappreciative of ths opportunity. So a huge thanks to SCOR and MyGolf Spy for inviting me to participate in this test.

Reacting to Jondagcl I could check them but I suspect they will be close to spot on. When I say penetrating don't think low, think more controlled like what you might see on tour. I'm always amazed at how low they hit their wedges, it's like that. The hole in question was down wind. I'm just a tick longer with both SCORs than both Wilson's and I prefer the ball flight. The distance control is great and I agree with Nic side to side tends to be alignment or slight swing flaw stuff, if you can hit it around hole high all the time you have something and so far these clubs have been consistent.

It's a forgiveness/dispersion test so we aren't suppose to talk much about part shots and yet those are important with wedges. It's way easier for mr to consistently grip down on the SCOR gap and get a tweener yardage than the Wilson G. I also love the club around the green, it gives me a third option that's been missing for a while, you should have seen the chip I hit on 13 at Sawgrass with it. Great control.

Spin is harder for me to measure this time of year because it's generally wet and the ball will stop. I'm using a medium spin ball for that reason. I will have to rely on launch monitor data for spin rates.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• SPY VIP

Minus some feel issues for some I think SCOR golf makes the most Under-rated wedges in the game when it comes to performance.  Which should be all that matters for the clubs that go in the bag.

Collect clubs, fine, they go in the office or on the wall.  You use the weapons in the bag.  

#TruthDigest

Thanks for the follow up MB and Rev. I get you now about the penetrating flight. I like to hear that the distance control is great, control being the key there. I definitely don't need a "distance" wedge. One that is more forgiving and more accurate though - that's something I'd pay attention to. Clicking in the link in the initial post it was talking about "reducing distance loss". I interpreted that to mean a wedge that goes further. Maybe I completely missed the boat on what that means, but I shifted to an internal dialogue of "if I want to hit my wedge a little further I'd just pull out a 9 iron, or another wedge". If I gained yardage with my 54 degree wedge full shot, then I'd need to make that up with something else - and I'd dip into a shot I already had with another club. No?

Very interesting test you guys are doing here, I'm excited to keep seeing the feedback.

Awesome lab here MGS, very excited for the results.  I almost went with Scor wedges earlier this year, but ended up with the MD2's because I could hit them before buying.

They are still on my short list though and i have a feeling eventually I will try them out.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Thanks for the follow up MB and Rev. I get you now about the penetrating flight. I like to hear that the distance control is great, control being the key there. I definitely don't need a "distance" wedge. One that is more forgiving and more accurate though - that's something I'd pay attention to. Clicking in the link in the initial post it was talking about "reducing distance loss". I interpreted that to mean a wedge that goes further. Maybe I completely missed the boat on what that means, but I shifted to an internal dialogue of "if I want to hit my wedge a little further I'd just pull out a 9 iron, or another wedge". If I gained yardage with my 54 degree wedge full shot, then I'd need to make that up with something else - and I'd dip into a shot I already had with another club. No?

Very interesting test you guys are doing here, I'm excited to keep seeing the feedback.

What SCOR means by distance loss is on miss hits that occur high on the club face. Since that most often occurs out of the rough I intend to do a round of shots out of the rough at some point, at least with the Pitching Wedges. My Wilson's are very forgiving on hits low on the club face but less so if I get it high on the face. The SCORs are forgiving low on the face also which has surprised me. Yet they are easier to control which I find fascinating, forgiiveness and control don't seem to go hand in hand.

You're right consistency with any club is the key and distance is secondary, I should say with any club you're hitting to a target, if you're fortunate enough to play on an open course I suppose you could live with some inconsistency off the tee.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My early testing has consisted of a few sessions on the range and a quick 18 on the Par 3 attached to my shop. (although it was blowing 30mph that afternoon.) Early visual indicators are that the SCOR wedges tend to fly on a lower trajectory, and spin a bit less.

Subjectively, I like these scoring clubs. The smaller head makes me feel like I am going pinhunting. The feel is quite good, and the lower ball flight is something that I was looking for in a wedge/short iron. 

I tried these wedges last year and that's exactly what I found too....lower with less spin.  I've made some significant changes to my short game since moving to Texas and have had the idea that I need to try the SCOR out again.  I'll be following this thread closely.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

It's a forgiveness/dispersion test so we aren't suppose to talk much about part shots and yet those are important with wedges. It's way easier for mr to consistently grip down on the SCOR gap and get a tweener yardage than the Wilson G. I also love the club around the green, it gives me a third option that's been missing for a while,

I agree...partial swings are very important in a wedge.  If you guys can throw in some extra thoughts on that along the way it would be much appreciated!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

What SCOR means by distance loss is on miss hits that occur high on the club face. Since that most often occurs out of the rough I intend to do a round of shots out of the rough at some point, at least with the Pitching Wedges. My Wilson's are very forgiving on hits low on the club face but less so if I get it high on the face. The SCORs are forgiving low on the face also which has surprised me. Yet they are easier to control which I find fascinating, forgiiveness and control don't seem to go hand in hand.

You're right consistency with any club is the key and distance is secondary, I should say with any club you're hitting to a target, if you're fortunate enough to play on an open course I suppose you could live with some inconsistency off the tee.

This is a very important point.   My Speedblade irons are terrible out of thick rough if you get a fluffy lie and fail to "pick" the ball.  That's because they have so little mass high in the clubface.   Hit one high and toey and the ball goes nowhere.   A forged wedge has mass distributed more evenly and thus can handle more of a high and toey hit.

I'm a little put-off by reports of the Scor's lower and less spin ball flight, because I'm already a low ball flight player.   Hence the reason I changed to Speedblades.   But I am intrigued enough by this thread that I'm going to buy a Scor 45 to throw up against my SB 45 PW and we'll see what's what.  I may have to extend it and regrip it to get a good comparison.  Fortunately, I have a little-used executive course nearby where I can throw hundreds of shots at real greens 135 to 150 yards away and I should be able to report back some extensive results about dispersion, ball flight, backspin etc.  Let's keep this thread alive for another week or two.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

We will Mark this is supposed to be a four week testing period and we all just received our clubs last week. We've been going out it quietly while WD set the thread up.

I played 18 today followed by a session on the par 3 course. I'm bagging the SCOR Gap replacement already because there's no doubt it's superior for me. I'll get to the test of PWs in a minute because it was stunning. Here I wanted to note that I had the perfect lie that could have lead to disaster from the rough. I had 107, nice GW for me, remember I'm playing at sea level in fairly wet conditions, at my best I'm not that long but here it can get ridiculous. At any rate sitting up a bit in Bermuda this one could easily have gone no where and instead I hit it to 18 ", yes, that's 18 inches. First of 4 birdies on the day and really got my round going.

To the actual test, I hit 20 balls with each wedge from a variety of distances because by then the sea breeze was up to about 12mph. First two sessions the two wedges have been within a foot of one another. Not so this time. I was ridiculously dialed in with my Wilson wedge and actually averaged 14'6" for my 20 shots. Check out shot link for the tour on shots from 100-125 and you'll see how sick that is. I think I would be the leader in that category ON TOUR if I could keep those numbers going. It was hardly a fair fight. For some reason I had distance control issues with the SCOR and averaged 29'5" for the test. It was a good sampling for sure.

One cool side result of this test will be the comparison between our results and Iron Byron's. I think it's going to show what our guys say here and that is that you need human testers because human's swing clubs. Look, sound and feel mean nothing to iron Byron and they mean something to us. The matched GW of the Wilson does not fit my eye and I struggle to hit it well. I love the way the SCOR looks and a series of good shots have given me confidence that it will go where I'm aiming and fly how I'd like it to. I had a second one on the back nine today to a tough pin, really tough, all carry over a deep grass bunker, gnarly Bermuda rough, pin in a little bowl on the far right side of the green, way back little margin for error and I hit it to 14 feet and made another birdie,

Conversely I am super confident with my Wilson irons, PW through 5 right now, they fit my eye, I'm starting to connect with them and feel as if I can control them. I'm starting to be able to flight them down in the wind also. So it's going to be hard for the SCOR W to compete with my Wilson W. I'd love fro it to, it's so much more attractive in my bag but the results aren't there yet.

In regards to the flying lower I really do think we've misrepresented the ball flight or I have at least, think lower launch, it's apex is still pretty dog gone high. The greens that I played today were firm by Florida summer standards and I had no trouble spinning them back a bit. I'm going to need launch monitor numbers to really know which wedges spin better for me. In the winter spring here it's important because the greens on our better courses get firm plus in March/April.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Looking forward to the results.  I bought the SCOR 54 and 58 last year and love them.  Depending on what I hear about the GW and PW, I may spring for them too.

For those who want to try them out, I called SCOR and asked if there were any demos in the area, and fortunately they had a set of wedges with different lofts and shafts at one of my local courses.  I called them up and they let me take the set out to the range and chipping/bunker area.  After hitting a few, I knew I wanted them and it was just a matter of what lofts and shaft.  It would be worth a call to see if there is a set near you.  

I am on travel this week and next in Albuquerque, and I will be playing this weekend, assuming the monsoon rains let me!  Great thread.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Looking forward to the results.  I bought the SCOR 54 and 58 last year and love them.  Depending on what I hear about the GW and PW, I may spring for them too.

For those who want to try them out, I called SCOR and asked if there were any demos in the area, and fortunately they had a set of wedges with different lofts and shafts at one of my local courses.  I called them up and they let me take the set out to the range and chipping/bunker area.  After hitting a few, I knew I wanted them and it was just a matter of what lofts and shaft.  It would be worth a call to see if there is a set near you.  

I am on travel this week and next in Albuquerque, and I will be playing this weekend, assuming the monsoon rains let me!  Great thread.

Shoot! I would meet up with you in Abq, but I have a full weekend. 

They made a great call choosing you for the review rev, thoughtful and detailed feedback!

You are too kind, I take this responsibility very seriously because not only is the test important to SCOR but the quality of the work done by the testers creates more opportunity for all of us here.

@ Kenny it's a shame these clubs haven't gained more traction and I think that in part is it, they just aren't available to test, throw in the cost and it's a tough haul. I only heard of them here and won two of them in a "little" contest that we had. But my iron fitter for the contest didn't understand the SCOR concept well. I ended up with a 60 and 55, I recently found a used 53 that I've put in for the 55. It fits the yardage gap. I'm great with the 60 out of the sand or competent at least and I hit it far enough that the gripped down to the 2nd dot 53 flows into it fine. My pro has heard of SCOR but doesn't know a lot about them. He's exactly the guy who should be selling them. The assistant pro that we played with at Sawgrass had never heard of them but he was impressed with mine. That's a problem for SCOR. They need to tap into some of those guys in order to gain greater penetration in the market.

BTW the contest was huge. I wore my true links wear shoes today, my sub 70 outfit at Sawgrass. The bettinardi was the hit of my schools auction. My best friend has lowered his handicap four strokes with my mizunos. I only recently stopped bagging the R11s and the fitting for that was sick. And I won second place.

This site rocks!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Shoot! I would meet up with you in Abq, but I have a full weekend.

Not a problem. I am playing with a good friend who is a member at Sandia GC. Will be back again in September.

Rev, I agree about the availability. I wonder if SCOR can't produce enough product to locate them in strategic outlets. I do like the idea that they stick to green grass locations rather than box stores, and have sets to try on course. I think I might have bought one anyway just on looks alone!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Not a problem. I am playing with a good friend who is a member at Sandia GC. Will be back again in September.

Rev, I agree about the availability. I wonder if SCOR can't produce enough product to locate them in strategic outlets. I do like the idea that they stick to green grass locations rather than box stores, and have sets to try on course. I think I might have bought one anyway just on looks alone!

That's funny, my cousin works at Sandia. She gets me on there every so often. I like that course. 

Like that your doing it three different ways. Can't wait to see the final results.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

WP_20140802_003.jpgWork is getting done today.  Tabulating results as soon as I get rehydrated..

WP_20140802_004.jpg

I prefer blades in my scoring clubs.  I played the Hogan FTX for years, and the Scor back design is reminiscent of the older Mizunos like the MP32.  It was called a "cut muscle" on the 32's and 57's and 60's and even the original FLI HI had the cut muscle, and those were great.

I have only hit Scors a couple of times, RevKev let me hit his when he first got the wedges almost 2 years ago. I will tune back in to see how this goes.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Archived