TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Community Labs - SCOR Short Iron Testing

GolfSpy WD

Yea I can see myself possibly pulling the pitching wedge in favour of one of the scores as well as my 56* sand wedge but their highest loft is only 61* which makes it hard to find a replacement for my 64* lob wedge

Do you need the 64? It would seem that you could do so much more with the 60 or 61 and you could always open the blade. I had a 64 that I would bag for this one course that I played but I found I could replicate the same shot result with the SCOR 60.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you need the 64? It would seem that you could do so much more with the 60 or 61 and you could always open the blade. I had a 64 that I would bag for this one course that I played but I found I could replicate the same shot result with the SCOR 60.

The 64 is comething of a specialty club in my bag, I really only use it for serious flop shots but I do use it pretty much exclusively from greenside bunkers except for the occasional longer bunker shot where I use my 56. I certainly would'nt be past trying a 60 or 61 to see if it had the same feel and I could replicate the same shots with it.

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

The 64 is comething of a specialty club in my bag, I really only use it for serious flop shots but I do use it pretty much exclusively from greenside bunkers except for the occasional longer bunker shot where I use my 56. I certainly would'nt be past trying a 60 or 61 to see if it had the same feel and I could replicate the same shots with it.

According to SCOR I should go 44,48,52,56 but I go 44,48,53,60 because I use that 60 for almost all of my sand shots - it's ridiculously easy to hit out of almost any sort of sand condition.  I will on rare occasion use the 53 for a longer shot.

You essentially have three bounces in one on those clubs, doesn't really matter the loft, if you open the clubs face a tad it cuts right through the sand like butter. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Went to the Par 3 course after work today and it was a blast.  I think that there were only two other groups on the course so I was able to hit plenty of shots.  Despite the Florida heat I loved being able to walk and get a feel for what's going on with these clubs.  I've also played this little course a number of times with my golf team so I could compare my new gamer irons and my SCOR short iron substitutes to how I might normally perform on many holes.

This little course is a 9 holer with the holes ranging from 94 to 187 yards from the back - I was able to play most of the holes from 100 to 120 by picking the proper spot on the tee.  I had considered hitting out the rough but it rained in the morning and the rough area wasn't mowed - I didn't want to hurt myself.

My results were very consistent with what I've seen so far - about 17 feet from the hole with the SCOR GW sub which blows its competitor out of the water or bag in this case - it also blows away the PGA tour average of 19'11" from that distance so I'm pretty stoked. 

While it's pretty close I continue to outperform the SCOR PW sub with my gamer.  I averaged 18'1" with the Wilson and 23'6" with the SCOR today.  Here's what I noticed about the difference - bare with me because I'm a preacher and like to set my stories up......

SCOR did Iron Byron testing.  The misshits that they tested were the high on the clubface ones that I'm sure many of us have experienced with our wedges.  You know, you get it high on the face and it goes nowhere, a weak pop up short of target.  That doesn't happen with a SCOR. 

But my PW has a loft that's so jacked that it is no longer a wedge - it's in between my Ping Eye 2 8/9 and certainly stronger than most PW's on the market.  By any definition its a short iron which means that for me the most common misshit is thin.  According to Taylor Made that is true of most golfers BTW.  My Wilson's perform admirably plus on thin hits.  They many fly lower and generally a little right but they stay in the air long enough to carry onto the green and they have enough spin to stop there most of the time.  I think I misshit the SCOR less but when I do it comes up short, not often of the green but of the pin and that's what's kicking its butt, I'll end up 30 feet away on one of those while still hitting my Wilson to 15 feet.  When I miss the Wilson it tends to be long left or thin but the pulls are getting further and further apart as I hit more and more shots.

I played the two longer par 3's with my 5 iron because I wanted to hit it.  I just dropped the ball on the tee ground about what I thought would be in the right spot, shot it and hit it.  On 9 I left it a little short in a real wet spot, certainly casual water but I decided to play it because of the question about chunking.  I hit the little pitch clean as clean can be and lipped out for birdie with it.  Also I made sure to pick some wet lies (not casual water but soft) for my test and I had no trouble with chunking it.  In fact I know that I chunked exactly one out of 80 shots and I can't recall which of the four wedges the chunk was with.

So my back is a little sore right now from all of those live shots but I'm very satisfied.  I think it's time for a beer. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Im impressed you guys can hit anything >60*, I cant ever hit the 60* consistently, let alone a 64

It's like anything else, a matter of proper technique and practice. There does seem to be less margin for error once you get over 58 though. I know it's not the primary point of this thread but my SCOR 60 is very easy to hit full, part or otherwise. For part shots they have an extra long grip with grip down marks. The deal is that you go out with the clubs, hit a number of balls full swing, thre quarter swing and half swing at normal grip and the two grip down points and the record the distances. SCOR actually provides a little bag tag that you can use as a cheater for those distances on the course.

Honestly I've found I'm best with two swings, the full and the three quarters so I stick to those. I don't need the cheater because I can remember how far I hit it at each grip down point. I can cover anything from 72 to 47 with the 60 very comfortably.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I received my Scor 45 today and I am very antsy to start testing against my Speedblades PW (also 45 degrees).   To my great delight, it is exactly the same length and lie as my SB, although the Scor is 30 grams heavier, almost all of which is due to the shaft.  (I think the Scor's use 110 gr KBS Tour shafts, while the SB has an 85 gr TT Dynalite shaft.) 

My first impression is that these are quite handsome, classic looking clubs.  I like them and I'd be proud to display them in my bag.  At the same time, I must confess that I have never liked the look of my Speedblades even though I love their performance.  But I'm the kind of golfer who would hit a Hello Kitty club if it gave me a definitive advantage

Likewise, I was very happy to learn that Scor Genius shaft is a KBS Tour and their Scor grip is the same Lamkin extra long wedge grip that Taylormade uses.  I did not know this before and I was actually dreading some cheap-o "made for" shafts and grips on these clubs.  Instead they are about the best components you could wish for and what I am already used to playing.  Scor would be well served to tout this fact more in their promotional materials.

Today I'm just going to hit a bucket with both clubs side by side to get used to them.   I expect the Scor to go lower and shorter, but we'll see.   Tomorrow I'll hit them to real greens on our little-used exec course and see what's what.

Here's comparison pic of both

scor speedblade 45.jpg

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Since you aren't bound by the test as we are hit some chips with it. You will not believe the control.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Since you aren't bound by the test as we are hit some chips with it. You will not believe the control.

I may have to take a few swings with these tomorrow

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Revkev is right, I'm not bound by the test.  I bought this Scor 45 myself, it wasn't sent to me by the company.  I may or may not get a 41 and a 50 to test against my 9 and GW, but for now I'm just fiddling with the PW.   And I'll try a whole bunch of shots with it.  I may pull the shaft and stick in a high launch 85 gram, I dunno yet.

I went to range and hit a bucket.  The Scor was SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER in ball flight than the Speedblade.  So much so that it felt like an 8 or 9 iron ball flight to me.  Some might call this "penetrating", but they looked like punches to me.   I've always been a low ball hitter and with most clubs this has translated into a failure to get satisfactory backspin. So  I was a little worried, but on the range the Scor's shots did not look shorter than the SB and the balls didn't seem to be bouncing farther.   In fact, they seemed to duck and nestle on the 2 bounce.  So the backspin wasn't frightening

The Scor did seem straighter, easier to line up, and more consistent on the range.  That was encouraging.  However, it did not feel "soft"; it felt clicky and stiff faced to me.  I'm probably just getting too used to the smushy Speedblade trampolines, though.  The Scor felt the way my older clubs used to feel.   I can imagine that a full set would produce some hand-stinging 5 iron shots, which I don't miss at all with my GI Speedblade shovels.

Feeling pretty confident I could hit the club, I went to the course.   I meant to go to our exec, but it was full of foot golfers in the evening, so I went to the championship course, teed off with one ball, played it out. (Shooting a 35 with an eagle and one bogey.)  Whenever I got to the 135 yard mark from center green on my GPS, I dropped two ProV1x's and hit one with the Scor and one with the SB.   (135 is my normal PW range.)   I did this every hole for 9 and recorded how many greens were hit, which was closest to the pin, which was longest, and the nature of the bad misses.   I did NOT record the distances from the pin, I just eyeballed which was CTP and if they were pretty close, say one was 10' left and the other 9' right, I called it a tie.   No need to nitpick, when there was a CTP winner, it was a clear winner.

I realize that to be the slightest bit statistically significant, I'll have to repeat this same test at least 40 times, and in truth I'll only feel comfortable with my conclusions if I do it several hundred times, but here's the first nine holes and some preliminary thoughts.  

• The Speedblade hit 7 greens, the Scor hit 6. 
  • The SB was Closest to the pin 3 times, the Scor 2 times, and 4 were basically good ties. 
  • The SB was longest 5 times, the Scor twice, and 2 were ties.  
  • On the notable big misses, the Scor was short and rightish 3 times.   The SB hit one high toey dead duck into the water (its weakness) out of the rough and another rough shot came up a bit short and left.

BTW, I hit three of the 9 test holes out of the rough, two were thickish rough.  I felt that the Scor was much more stable and reliable on those rough shots.   I actually fear fluffy rough shots with my SB, but the Scor powered through that grass producing quite long shots (one might say fliers) while the SB had a hard time getting the ball home.

Preliminary impressions -   Although the Scor flighted low, I can't say that its backspin was any worse than the SB.  If anything, it checked up faster than the SB.   It did seem to dig deeper into the turf on most shots.   It hit baby fades as its normal ball flight, while the SB has a straight flight, even when pushed or pulled.   The Scor was quite easy to aim.   I got more comfortable with it as I went along, especially out of the rough.   But it did not feel as pleasant to hit as the SB's.   (I'm talking about its clicky, hand-stinging factor here.   But if it gets the ball closer to the hole, I'll definitely learn to love it.)    Since the Scor goes lower than my SB, I fought the urge to "help" it up, which is the wrong thing to do.   I need to hit down on it to get it up.

That's it for now.  I'll definitely try some longish chips with it as RevKev suggests, and some fairway bunker shots (where the SB's shine).   When I get another 40 or 50 good tests in with it, I'll post some updates.   Fortunately our courses are so un-busy out here, I can play alone most of the time and fiddle around to my hearts content.  I just walked 27 holes on Sunday in 3 hrs and 45 minutes, that's how empty the place was.   Every time I play, I should be able to test these clubs head to head.

BTW Mark that would be exactly SCORs argument. The miss you're describing is high on the club face and wedges loose distance on those shots where as SCORs remain stable. In stead of in the bunker or water or heavy rough short your on the green putting for birdie with the SOR eliminating the big miss.

It will be interesting to see how this test continues for you going further.

I will try to remember to bring my SCOR 55 with today MR. Theo. The ones I game are graphite, that older one is the KBS steel shaft. I know that they have several weight options when ordering either graphite or steel hence the numbered designations beside the genius names. Just add a zero so the 10's are 100 rams, 12s, 120, etc.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

BTW Mark that would be exactly SCORs argument. The miss you're describing is high on the club face and wedges loose distance on those shots where as SCORs remain stable. In stead of in the bunker or water or heavy rough short your on the green putting for birdie with the SOR eliminating the big miss.

It will be interesting to see how this test continues for you going further.

I will try to remember to bring my SCOR 55 with today MR. Theo. The ones I game are graphite, that older one is the KBS steel shaft. I know that they have several weight options when ordering either graphite or steel hence the numbered designations beside the genius names. Just add a zero so the 10's are 100 rams, 12s, 120, etc.

So mine is a 120 gram shaft.   Well that tells me where all the extra weight is and it also hints to me that the lower ball flight is directly attributable to the Genius 12/KBS Tour shaft.   I specifically opted for the TT Dynalite 85 shaft in my Speedblades because it launched higher.   I'll complete my testing with the current shaft, including lots of trouble shots and chips, then pull it and try the 85.

I think the Scor argument is a good one.  If you only test these clubs on a range or from neutral conditions, you're not seeing the whole realistic picture.   As I have increased my driver length of late, I see far more wedges to greens, but also more wedges from roughs.  If I get a fluffer from 8-9-PW range I start to quake, I'd rather be in a bunker.

But on the flip side of the coin, there are also lots of times when you have to hit short irons OVER obstacles.  The Scor's lower ball flight is not good for that.

Revkev is right, I'm not bound by the test.  I bought this Scor 45 myself, it wasn't sent to me by the company.  I may or may not get a 41 and a 50 to test against my 9 and GW, but for now I'm just fiddling with the PW.   And I'll try a whole bunch of shots with it.  I may pull the shaft and stick in a high launch 85 gram, I dunno yet.

I went to range and hit a bucket.  The Scor was SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER in ball flight than the Speedblade.  So much so that it felt like an 8 or 9 iron ball flight to me.  Some might call this "penetrating", but they looked like punches to me.   I've always been a low ball hitter and with most clubs this has translated into a failure to get satisfactory backspin. So  I was a little worried, but on the range the Scor's shots did not look shorter than the SB and the balls didn't seem to be bouncing farther.   In fact, they seemed to duck and nestle on the 2 bounce.  So the backspin wasn't frightening

The Scor did seem straighter, easier to line up, and more consistent on the range.  That was encouraging.  However, it did not feel "soft"; it felt clicky and stiff faced to me.  I'm probably just getting too used to the smushy Speedblade trampolines, though.  The Scor felt the way my older clubs used to feel.   I can imagine that a full set would produce some hand-stinging 5 iron shots, which I don't miss at all with my GI Speedblade shovels.

Feeling pretty confident I could hit the club, I went to the course.   I meant to go to our exec, but it was full of foot golfers in the evening, so I went to the championship course, teed off with one ball, played it out. (Shooting a 35 with an eagle and one bogey.)  Whenever I got to the 135 yard mark from center green on my GPS, I dropped two ProV1x's and hit one with the Scor and one with the SB.   (135 is my normal PW range.)   I did this every hole for 9 and recorded how many greens were hit, which was closest to the pin, which was longest, and the nature of the bad misses.   I did NOT record the distances from the pin, I just eyeballed which was CTP and if they were pretty close, say one was 10' left and the other 9' right, I called it a tie.   No need to nitpick, when there was a CTP winner, it was a clear winner.

I realize that to be the slightest bit statistically significant, I'll have to repeat this same test at least 40 times, and in truth I'll only feel comfortable with my conclusions if I do it several hundred times, but here's the first nine holes and some preliminary thoughts.  

• The Speedblade hit 7 greens, the Scor hit 6. 
  • The SB was Closest to the pin 3 times, the Scor 2 times, and 4 were basically good ties. 
  • The SB was longest 5 times, the Scor twice, and 2 were ties.  
  • On the notable big misses, the Scor was short and rightish 3 times.   The SB hit one high toey dead duck into the water (its weakness) out of the rough and another rough shot came up a bit short and left.

BTW, I hit three of the 9 test holes out of the rough, two were thickish rough.  I felt that the Scor was much more stable and reliable on those rough shots.   I actually fear fluffy rough shots with my SB, but the Scor powered through that grass producing quite long shots (one might say fliers) while the SB had a hard time getting the ball home.

Preliminary impressions -   Although the Scor flighted low, I can't say that its backspin was any worse than the SB.  If anything, it checked up faster than the SB.   It did seem to dig deeper into the turf on most shots.   It hit baby fades as its normal ball flight, while the SB has a straight flight, even when pushed or pulled.   The Scor was quite easy to aim.   I got more comfortable with it as I went along, especially out of the rough.   But it did not feel as pleasant to hit as the SB's.   (I'm talking about its clicky, hand-stinging factor here.   But if it gets the ball closer to the hole, I'll definitely learn to love it.)    Since the Scor goes lower than my SB, I fought the urge to "help" it up, which is the wrong thing to do.   I need to hit down on it to get it up.

That's it for now.  I'll definitely try some longish chips with it as RevKev suggests, and some fairway bunker shots (where the SB's shine).   When I get another 40 or 50 good tests in with it, I'll post some updates.   Fortunately our courses are so un-busy out here, I can play alone most of the time and fiddle around to my hearts content.  I just walked 27 holes on Sunday in 3 hrs and 45 minutes, that's how empty the place was.   Every time I play, I should be able to test these clubs head to head.

Nice write up!! 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I hit the 55° Rev brought with him today and liked how it went through the turf, and they felt as good as my current wedges which is a plus

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I hit the 55° Rev brought with him today and liked how it went through the turf, and they felt as good as my current wedges which is a plus

When the 55 got back in my bag it said, "See I told you I was good for 110 yard shots." :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I clocked in another 9 of side by side tests this afternoon.  Running total for 18 holes is now:

• Greens hit -  Scor 11, Speedblades 13.
  • Closest to the Pin -   Scor 4 times, Speedblades 8 times, and 6 were essentially ties.
  • Longest -  Scor 5, Speedblade 7, 6 ties.
  • Nature of the bigger misses -  Score was severely right 3 times today.   Speedblade was quite short twice.

Observations -

• Once again the Scor did well on my three "rough" holes.  It hit all three greens.  Two times it was very long (fliers?).
  • Both days I have started out cold with the Scor and start out cursing its clicky, stiff face.  But both days I warmed up to it and started puring shots by about hole 4 or 5.
  • I think I can say that while the Scor flights lower, it has the same or better backspin than the Speedblade.  I still wish it went higher, though.
  • Neither club is producing jaw-droppingly close shots when it wins CTP.   So far I've hit a bunch to about 10 feet and the Scor hit one to about 5 today, but neither club has produced an oo-la-la shot yet.   At this point, the bigger deciding factor would be which club produces more bad shots.

One thing I've learned from this test is how close 20 feet is. 20 feet is very good on an approach shot for real. It's pretty easy for an accomplished golfer with a level lie in the fairway but in the context of a round where there are the factors of wind, lie, green firmness, yardage not perfect, etc. it's very good.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Mark, you may have said it already, but how do the distances compare with each club? What are the causes of your misses with the Scor? What are the causes of your misses with the SB? How do you like each when it comes to tee/fairway/rough/sand/flop/other shots?

Also, what prompted wanting to change out your PW? Just for fun? Was there something in particular you didn't like about it?

I'm very curious if your results change when you swap to the TT Dynalite shaft that you have in your PW. (KBS Tour S is 120g, so there's a huge difference in weight)

As for the results, they're very interesting. I actually value greens hit more than closer to the pin. The main reason for this is slight undulations in a green can drastically affect this result (i.e. the difference of a foot could cause the ball to roll all the way to the hole or even roll off the green). The other reason is if you average 135 yards with one and 137 yards with the other, that's a 6 foot difference, meaning unless you know your exact average for each club and laser the pin from that average, the results can become skewed in favor of one club or the other.

That said, the pin makes for a fantastic target and it's absolutely critical to aim at something. What is really interesting is the dispersion which measures big of an area you would cover with multiple shots with the same club. Assuming this area is small and once the golfer knows their exact average, then it'll translate to more shots closer to the pin.

If you find 'greens hit' to be too easy of a metric at your handicap, then pick a specific area of the green and aim for that. 

Thanks Mark, and keep up the good work!

WD I'm glad you brought this discussion here, we've been having it in a PM and I think it's a very good one to have. Personally I prefer proximity to the hole over greens hit. I'd rather have it in the back fringe 20 level feet away than a 30 foot downhill slider on the green.

But if I know my dispersion with a club(s) then it becomes a matter of alignment and of course the one with the tighter dispersion will be the better choice. For that reason I'm going to get a session or two in where I chart shots. Perhaps there will be a way for me to make a chart that shows the dispersion pattern SCOR vs. Wilson. That would be really cool to see.

I think I know what it will look like but I'm not saying until we all see it.

I still think you need to aim at a flag to perform this test properly. For Nic, Will and I it shouldn't be difficult as access to a par 3 courses was a requisite for testing. Just do the test on greens where the pin is in the middle of the green. I'm sure I can go out Sat morning, find 4 such holes and hit 10 wedges on each hole to chart and measure. If I can repeat that process after work some day next week I'll have 40 shots with each wedge which is a reasonable sample. If you know how far you hit each wedge than you can shoot the pin get the comfortable distance, hit your ten and then move on to the next flat green and repeat.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

One thing I've learned from this test is how close 20 feet is. 20 feet is very good on an approach shot for real. It's pretty easy for an accomplished golfer with a level lie in the fairway but in the context of a round where there are the factors of wind, lie, green firmness, yardage not perfect, etc. it's very good.

You are absolutely right, Rev.   A 10 to 20 footer on a real course is very good and that's why I chose to do my little test with only 2 balls per real hole, changing holes every time, so I didn't get into a mechanical groove like on a range.   It will take me a long time to get good data (another 36 holes at least), but I want a real test where I'm hitting real shots at real greens and can't get comfortable or in a zone with one club in one situation. 

What I do is hit a drive then I walk out to it.  If it is at 135, I drop another ball and hit to the green from there, one with the Scor one with the SB.   If not at 135, I go forward or back to 135-ish range, either in fairway, rough or sand and hit from there with two balls.   I aim for center green and am just trying to get the ball on the dance floor with the test balls, not pin seek.  (BTW, I've shot 35-37 with my real ball over this test, so my game is on and my iron shots are in good representative shape.)

My methodology is also why you'll see I have a lot of "ties" in my test.  I don't care if one ball is 15 feet long left and another is 12 feet short right.   Just get me in range of a makeable putt and I'm happy and I think it's basically a tie.   When one club "wins" a hole with me, it's by a big margin, not inches.

My "Distance" component is really meaningless.  I was just afraid at first that the Scor would be quite a bit shorter than the SB, thereby impacting my gaps.   As you can see, so far it isn't shorter and out of the rough it's longer.   That's good.

I know what you mean by charting a dispersion pattern.  Originally I wanted to print out and enlarge a Google Sat View of a few holes on my exec course and literally pin the exact spots of each ball until I had enough to constitute a valid test.  Then I'd just post the pics letting you decide which was best!   Ultimately, I decided not to do this because a) the friggin foot-golfers have so swamped our exec in the afternoons that I can't get on to leisurely chart a bunch of shots.   And b ) I don't want to get into a groove where shots 6 thru 10 are merely  "corrections" of shots 1 - 5.   I want to shake the dice after EVERY hole, giving myself fresh looks and problems with every shot.

Mark, you may have said it already, but how do the distances compare with each club? What are the causes of your misses with the Scor? What are the causes of your misses with the SB? How do you like each when it comes to tee/fairway/rough/sand/flop/other shots?

Also, what prompted wanting to change out your PW? Just for fun? Was there something in particular you didn't like about it?

I'm very curious if your results change when you swap to the TT Dynalite shaft that you have in your PW. (KBS Tour S is 120g, so there's a huge difference in weight)

As for the results, they're very interesting. I actually value greens hit more than closer to the pin. The main reason for this is slight undulations in a green can drastically affect this result (i.e. the difference of a foot could cause the ball to roll all the way to the hole or even roll off the green). The other reason is if you average 135 yards with one and 137 yards with the other, that's a 6 foot difference, meaning unless you know your exact average for each club and laser the pin from that average, the results can become skewed in favor of one club or the other.

That said, the pin makes for a fantastic target and it's absolutely critical to aim at something. What is really interesting is the dispersion which measures big of an area you would cover with multiple shots with the same club. Assuming this area is small and once the golfer knows their exact average, then it'll translate to more shots closer to the pin.

If you find 'greens hit' to be too easy of a metric at your handicap, then pick a specific area of the green and aim for that. 

Thanks Mark, and keep up the good work!

You ask a lot of good questions, and to do them justice I'll answer them separately.  Bear in mind that at only 18 holes into my test, I have no conclusions yet, only impressions.

Distances -  As I said, I was afraid the Scor's would be shorter because the SB's are known to be so friggin long.   Not really the case so far.  The Scor's check up faster, except on their flier rough shots which are stunningly longer than the SB's.   But If I hit two equivalent shots to a good green with each club, I'm seeing the Scor will be 10-15 short and right, about 5 feet from its pitch mark and the SB will be 10-15 feet longish, either left or right, but about 10 feet from its pitch.   So which is a better shot?   I don't care either way.   If I'm at 135, I'd still pull either club with no desire yet to change my thinking distance-wise.

Nature of Misses -  The Scor tends to go right on a miss and have a baby fade when hit correctly.   I think this is just its nature and since it's forged and I can work it more, you'll see me correcting for it as the test progresses.   I'll remember to flip my hands closed more and it'll straighten out.   Yesterday, on the first four holes I missed the green right and went into a sand trap on three of them!  Not good.  Then I dialed in and it went straightish and pin high on most of the last 5.   This hints that I'm getting used to the Scor and should see improvement as I learn how to hit it.

The SB is more reliable but less workable.  It's a long club, so if I get between clubs and I try to ease up on it or baby it, it's a dead right push.   Since I'm testing from 135, I'm hitting full shots every time right in its comfort zone and it's not pushing or pulling.  The SB's real weakness is the fluffy rough lie,   If I don't thin these just right, I get dead ducks that go nowhere.  Yesterday I got lucky and caught them right so I hit greens with 2/3.

Chips and flops? - I only have the PW, so I'm not really trying any chips or flops with them.   I haven't really tested them with fairway bunkers shots yet either.  I'll have to find a bunker about 120 out that I can go to town in.   In noodling around with runner chips on the practice greens, I find the Scor heavy and stable, but I'd never use a PW for most chips or pitches, so I haven't made a good comparison.

Why contemplate a change? -  I jumped into this thread because Scor's premise caught my eye.  They said that for the scoring irons, even guys who play GI irons would do better with forged traditional clubs.   Well, I play GI irons even though I'm a low capper.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Speedblades 3 thru 7 iron.   I used to have the full set Speedblades GW, SW, and LW and thought the GW was okay, but I did not like the SW and LW.   I sold 'em and went back to my forged Japanese ATV's, which I also love.  So that left me with the SB 8, 9 and PW with which I was seeing more misses than I'd like out of these "scoring" clubs.   I found myself wishing, "gee maybe I should be playing a combo set like Justin Rose."  Well, you can't buy a Tour Preferred MC 8 9 and PW cheaply and even then I'd probably have to bend and re-shaft to get something that covered my gaps correctly.   Then I saw the Scor thread and said, "They make everything down to a 41, let's try that!"   So here I am.  If you sing a song that I have in mind, I'll listen.

Impact of shaft change?  -  We'll see, I'll probably do it.   The Speedblades are also offered with KBS tours and everyone I know who has tried them or chosen them has said they go much lower than the 85 gr Dynalites, but distance is about the same.   It's a good 35 gram difference.   I have a stockpile of SB spare shafts so I can change if I need to.  I won't think about it until this test is over.

I finally got on to our exec and logged another 30 holes of Scor vs Speedblade PW competition today.   Ran into another MGS user out there and we had a good old time discussing various blogs, clubs and the state of golf.  He let me hit a few with his first gen Nike Covert irons which are very good GI irons, BTW.   Super easy to hit.

Anyway, here's my updated running tally, 48 holes totaled so far

• Distance - I no longer chart which club is longest.   I'm fully convinced that the Scor is as long as the SB.  In fact, out of the rough it is longer.  It goes lower, but it has as much or more backspin.
  • Greens Hit -  Scor - 30, Speedblades - 29.
  • Closest to the Pin -  Scor - 18, Speedblades - 21, 9 were essentially ties.
  • Nature of Misses -  Today I didn't really "miss" any.   No cluster of shots went off line in a predictable or worrisome pattern.  Some were left, some were right, but overall, my clusters were much tighter than the last two days.

Observations - I hit nearly HALF of my holes out of medium to thick rough today.   The Scor is unquestionably the "safer" and more stable club out of the rough.  It has heft, a smaller footprint, and (dare I say it) more "power" out of the rough.   All other things being equal -- and they very nearly are -- this one factor would tip the balance in the Scor's favor.

I did not fade a single shot with the Scor today.   A testament to the fact that I am learning how to hit it better each time I take it for a spin.   I did thin a few, so I'm not completely confident with it, but I get more so each time.

You do feel more like a "big, swinging dick" when you hit a forged blade well.    But I'm not fooling myself.   I know that each club lower I go, the less chance I have of hitting a forged blade solidly.  I fear my mojo will run out completely right around the 7 iron.

Like my western partner I hit the Par 3 today but did a different test. I took a disabled friend who can handle the short course and could help record. He really appreciate an hour and a half of fresh air and I loved the company. We had a great time.

To the test. I drew a green on my bad and then separated it into quadrants. I only use the SCOR 44 shooting the distance to give a comfortable number on each hole. If the proper distance could be obtained on a tee, I hit from fairway length, if rough, then light rough. It's Florida, the course is flat so no uneven lies unless mad around the green by a bulldozer. There was almost no wind, it was humid and extremely wet from the two inches of rain that we had yesterday. BTW it has been raining since we finished our round so it's going to stay wet, probably until Halloween.

I played 3 balls with the SCOR 44 on holes 2-8, 21 shots. Only missed the green twice and only one of those shots was miss hit and tossed out of the test (a little chunky). I was surprised at the results. 14 shots where dead pin high along a line evenly divided between right and left, all within 27 feet of the hole. Of the six that weren't howl high 1 was long left, 1 short left and 4 short right the farthest being 34 feet (ironically that was in a group that I played at max distance, forced a bit and also I holed the putt.). I averaged just over 19' for the 20 btw.

I mentioned how wet it was because someone asked earlier. There is no issue with it being wet. The turf interaction on the SCOR is fine. I also hit it on a fairly high trajectory but where Mark has a 120 g KBS tour I have a 75 g graphite shaft in mine.

I will repeat this same test over the next week one more with the SCOR and twice with the Wilson wedge. I will then hit the launch monitor with all clubs to complete the test. Like Mark I have no desire to move away from the GI clubs with anything more than an 8 iron but frankly I'm seeing very little difference between the clubs in regards to forgiveness. I hit one low on the club face today that still got on the green, just lower trajectory.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

This question of "forgiveness" with these scoring clubs is an odd one. I haven't even given it a thought, to tell you the truth, I think it's a bit of a non-issue. I can honestly say that none of the shots that I've hit so far have been saved or really affected by more forgiveness on the face.

I've hit some bad shots with both, but they were my bad swings. I haven't hit a shot with the Scor that I think the SB would have saved. But I have hit more than a few shots from the rough that the Scor dug out where I think the SB couldn't have scooped it out so easily. Is that "forgiveness"? I don't think so. It's due to a smaller footprint and more mass higher on the face.

I confess that I have no idea what this "V-sole" does or how it affects shots. It doesn't seem to have high bounce. My 45 digs like a gopher.

This question of "forgiveness" with these scoring clubs is an odd one. I haven't even given it a thought, to tell you the truth, I think it's a bit of a non-issue. I can honestly say that none of the shots that I've hit so far have been saved or really affected by more forgiveness on the face.

I've hit some bad shots with both, but they were my bad swings. I haven't hit a shot with the Scor that I think the SB would have saved. But I have hit more than a few shots from the rough that the Scor dug out where I think the SB couldn't have scooped it out so easily. Is that "forgiveness"? I don't think so. It's due to a smaller footprint and more mass higher on the face.

I confess that I have no idea what this "V-sole" does or how it affects shots. It doesn't seem to have high bounce. My 45 digs like a gopher.

Open it a bit and you'll see that it has plenty of bounce. Also it's the bomb on those lies where it's in the rough around the green but it's kind of bare even though there's grass around it or when the grass is laying against you.

To your point on the weighting, that's SCOR's point and that's what they call more forgiveness.

I played today and bagged the SCOR because it was a fun round. I had 4 wedges. 12 feet right, 12 feet over the hole, 44 feet short right "!?$,!$& and 9 feet left. The one 12 feet over the hole was awesome. I drove it in the rough, had 204 out of snarly terrible rough with a water hazard between me and the hole. I couldn't have gotten it on the green with a large bucket and would have hit a small bucket into the water hazard trying. Instead I pitched out to 117, wedged to 12 feet, one putt, par.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Open it a bit and you'll see that it has plenty of bounce. Also it's the bomb on those lies where it's in the rough around the green but it's kind of bare even though there's grass around it or when the grass is laying against you.

To your point on the weighting, that's SCOR's point and that's what they call more forgiveness.

I played today and bagged the SCOR because it was a fun round. I had 4 wedges. 12 feet right, 12 feet over the hole, 44 feet short right "!?$,!$& and 9 feet left. The one 12 feet over the hole was awesome. I drove it in the rough, had 204 out of snarly terrible rough with a water hazard between me and the hole. I couldn't have gotten it on the green with a large bucket and would have hit a small bucket into the water hazard trying. Instead I pitched out to 117, wedged to 12 feet, one putt, par.

Well, I agree it's going to have more bounce when opened, but if I do that it'll only go 125 to the right instead of 135 on a straight full shot, and then I'd have to compare a 45 Scor to a 50 forged ATV, because it could not match the Speedblade PW's length.  

And since I only have the 45 PW I'm not going to try it on chips where I'd normally use my 55.  However, I'm convinced a little heavy-headed Scor 55, if I had one, would do just fine on such chips.

The Scor is a digger on normal full shots, which tells me I've got to adjust my swing a bit.   My SB's are pretty bouncy, and they have trained me to thump the turf with them because they don't dig.  Using this same swing with the Scor produces a Battle-of-the-Somme-like trench.   But bear in mind that these same attributes (small head and heavy mass in center face) are what enable it to dig balls out of the rough so well.

I agree completely with the Scor's ability to gouge balls out of the rough, but I can't bring myself to call that ability "forgiveness".   It is simply a combination of attributes that makes it more suited for a certain type of shot.  In the same vein, I have an old Alien wedge in the closet.  Its convex scoop sole makes it idiot-proof for fluffy sand lies that must go 10 to 20 yards, but it is nearly useless for any other shots or from crusty sand.   The Alien isn't "forgiving" out of fluffy sand, it's just well suited for that shot.

I played another 9 today with both wedges.  The SB had the upper hand today, but the Scor once again hit both greens when I shot from the rough.

My running totals for 57 holes are now.

Greens Hit - Scor 35, Speedblades - 37

Closest to the Pin - Scor 21, SB - 26, 10 ties

Nature of Misses -  I'm seeing that when I miss one right or left, I almost always miss the second shot with the other club to the same place.   This is telling me that my aim (or lack thereof) is at fault, not the club or the swing. On the seventh hole I clip-punched an ugly ball with the SB that miraculously skipped and rolled to 5 feet.  Next shot a skulled a Scor that was even uglier to 3 feet.   Crazy game.

Observations - The Scor's head is really very small.  With my SB's I found that I had to force myself to crowd the ball to find the sweet spot nearer the heel.  When I tried this with the Scor, shank-city!

I love the nature of misses category and conclusion that you draw. 

I wonder how much the golf architect takes into account perception when designing his greens and tee shots.  I played yesterday with three other guys who are adequate golfers and know their game so they are consistent.  I'm swinging the club pretty well right now and am very consistent.  It was remarkable to me that on the holes where we all hit the fairway our approaches went to the same side of the green (or in some cases missed to the same side.) 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Okay so yesterday I had the SCOR GW and the Wilson PW in play in a competitive situation. The first 9 was league play the second 9 and 18 a little money game that is held between the A and B flight players. I hit 4 shots with each club during the round and averaged 16 feet from the hole with each club even thou I missed two greens.

One of those misses was in the fringe hole high left 15 feet, great look for birdie and I missed the putt. The other was 25 feet hole high left in some thickish rough. Hit a great shot with my SCOR 60 and saved par. Both misses were with the Wilson, my miss with those short irons tends towards a pull. Also I had a hanging lie for both misses and should have legislated for the pull. I also hit one PWS to 3 feet on a par five approach. Sunk that putt for my only birdie of the day. Only one of my wedges was short of hole high BTW so it wasn't a good test of forgiveness. I flushed all of them and the 16 ft on 8 shots is a testimony to how well they were hit.

I still haven't decided on another outside round at the Par 3 or simply a LM. Session on Friday. I feel as if I have enough data to wrap things up here shortly.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm getting closer to a conclusion, but I still want more data.  The reason is that I'm only now learning how to hit the Scor better.   In my last post you'll see that I mentioned the Scor was a digger and that I would have change the way I thumped it.  Well, today I did change.  I stopped the thumping (which I still prefer to do with the Speedblade) and the Scor kicked butt.

Running total after 69 head to head holes:

Greens Hit - Scor - 46, Speedblade - 47

Closest to the Pin -  Scor - 28, Speedblade - 29, 12 ties

Nature of the Misses -  The Scor hit a few lowish bullets, otherwise much improved shots.  The SB seemed harder to aim today.

Observations - All holes today were fairway or first cut rough holes.   The Scor normally is the champ from heavy rough, but it gained ground with only fairway shots today.   This is directly due to my learning to hit the club better.   The Scor is also going a bit higher and it no longer fades.  

Anyone who purports to tell you anything about any club or shaft after only a dozen or so launch monitor swings is speaking NONSENSE.   It takes a good long while just to get used to how a club reacts and to alter your mechanics to deliver a swing well suited to the club.

To that last statement beyond a doubt!  Granted Rory now has more time to work on his game but he is exhibit A - a player like him and it took time to get used to new equipment that could be tweaked until it suited him perfectly how much more so for us.  That's why I've stayed away from the launch monitor and went to the range twice before beginning the test.  Also I'm familiar with the SCOR brand since I've been bagging SCORs for nearly two years.  When I first got them it was late summer in Florida and the courses were very wet.  I had lots of digging issues until I discovered that if you let these babies do the work the sole does it's job, if it needs digging, it will dig, if it needs clipping, it will clip.  It's pretty magical really.

Mark I'm curious about those low bullets, how well do they bite?  That's my typical short iron miss, I tend to get a bit too shallow and thin it but I'm finding that both the GI Wilson and the SCOR still stop pretty quickly when thinned a bit so that I get away with it.  You?

Also for those who were concerned about those initial low ball flight questions I got paired with a guy whom I play with occasionally in league Tuesday evening.  We haven't played together since I began the test.  He was blown away by the trajectory, stability, accuracy and stopability of the SCORs.  We had a classic Gulf Coast sort of day, sea breeze just starting as we tee'd off, the direction turned twice during our round and then the wind almost died for the last two or three holes.  It's so much easier to control the trajectory of the SCOR's that I'm seriously considering bagging the PW even though I'll hit more shots closer to the pin with the Wilson - it also gets impacted by the breeze more than the SCOR does. 

I've yet to hit any ball other than the Nike RZN Red with these clubs so that my test results remain consistent.  That reminds me I wanted to try a tour ball - I'll have to do that on Friday.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived