TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sandbagged?

GolfSpy Barbajo

Played in a 4 man/2 ball best ball with a buddy yesterday -- they also had a low gross and a low net competition.  The low gross was even par 72, shot by the head greenskeeper.   The low net was….

Wait for it…..

53!!!!!

Are you freaking kidding me?

So, on a reasonably tough course (6400 yards, slope 131), a 10 handicap would have had to have shot around a 63, a 20 around a 73, and so on….more or less.

I think we wuz sandbagged!  And it wasn't even subtle!  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

19 under?

I have a friend who's a sandbagger in that he plays lots of rounds at his club from the tips and is sure to putt everything out, always. In one sense he's not a sandbagger but when you consider that his course is a Nicklaus course that stretches to 7,300 from the tips and he barely hits the ball 220 you get the idea. No way he's breaking 100 under those conditions, his handicap stays around 22 and then he shoots 88-92 from the set of tees he's on in tournaments. Once in a while he'll throw in an 85. He's tough but it's legit. This could be one of those, two best balls, frick and frack, who knows. I used to play that format gross only every week and it normally took 3-5 under to win. Again that was gross and that was for 9 because we'd pay front 9 back nine. I haven't a clue what that would be net because all the players were good, scratch to around 6.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm curious how you work the handicaps in a 2man best ball. Is it the average of both guys or do you figure out how many strokes each guy gets on a hole and then take the best net for each hole individually?

Back on topic, yes you were sandbagged

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

even par isn't unreasonable for a pair of 10-15 handicaps.  What were they playing as?

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

The only reason I don't get angry about things like this anymore is that I found out what everyone who keeps an honest handicap thinks of players like this. I just let them be, knowing that everyone thinks they are tools.

Eventually someone will get drunk enough to call them what they are and when no one comes to their defense they will realize how they are perceived.

Of course, if they truly don't care then it's irrelevant, but karma is a ******. They will get their first hole in one while playing solo on an empty course.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

even par isn't unreasonable for a pair of 10-15 handicaps. What were they playing as?

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

BK - the 53 was for the individual low net. The team low net was -33.

The team format was a 4 man team, and you counted the two lowest net scores on each hole. So if you had two net birdies, your team was -2 for the hole. We had a 28 handicapper on our team, so he got two strokes on the harder holes. Didn't help - his handicap was honest.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Now I get it. Yep..,, you got screwed.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

rough. I play in a 9 hole blind scramble most of the time. Most guys are legit... but there's one or two always in every group that go and do some fudging.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Gotta agree with BK you got screwed royally. That is why I quit playing handicap events over 20 years ago when I got my amateur status back. But I have lost my amateur status again by playing some mini events and calcuttas around 03 04 but I dont give a hoot.  If I am asked and it is connected to business I will play some scrambles around here but if I win any prizes i will donate them back to the charity for a  auction etc. Other mini players and PGA America members do the same. But there is such rampart cheating going on in these events I stay away from them unless I absolutely have to play in them for business concerns etc. But there is some kind of charity scramble going on down her every weekend weather permitting. If I dont play in the event and it is a great charity I will make a cash donation or a club donation for the raffle or auction. My favorite charity is the Shriners even though I am not a member I do support them in their efforts entirely. I dont mind getting beat on the course legimetly but not being cheated. I know the charity is the main thing but I dont like the "cheatfests" or "sandbagger opens".

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Good info here and here

Net 53... that means that a 20 hcp shot 73.  #notachance.

Awesome.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Good info here and here

Awesome.

Interesting stuff...

I was a little bummed about my round until reading the first article.  Shot an 87 on a course I'd never played before, and had a course handicap of 11…so given that on average, you shoot a few strokes over your course handicap, my round wasn't as crummy as I thought.  :rolleyes:

I don't get sandbagging like that for any amount of money.  What makes it comical was that in this case, the prize was only $125.  On the plus side, got to have a great time golfing with a Hack To Jack buddy and a couple of his regular partners.  We had a blast!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

BK - the 53 was for the individual low net. The team low net was -33.

The team format was a 4 man team, and you counted the two lowest net scores on each hole. So if you had two net birdies, your team was -2 for the hole. We had a 28 handicapper on our team, so he got two strokes on the harder holes. Didn't help - his handicap was honest.

Now this really makes sense to me or doesn't. One guy had a 53 net on his ball and the team a net 33? That's ridiculous, impossible and they should be DQd.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Good info here and here

Awesome.

Great link, thanks. What I don't get is why my friend's handicap hasn't been "tweaked" by his committee. He plays to it or a shade better way too frequently.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Now this really makes sense to me or doesn't. One guy had a 53 net on his ball and the team a net 33? That's ridiculous, impossible and they should be DQd.

The -33 team net was for the two best balls in the group.  Two man par for this event would have been 144, so the winning team had a net score of 111.  This one dude was good for 19 of the 33...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Played a four man scramble last week with me playing off scratch, another off scratch, a 2.1 and a 2.7 in which we shot -17 and did not even place. The guys that won it "posted" -21 and somehow did it with straight faces. One of the guys I played with looked up their handicaps and the lowest was a 12. Also keep in mind that this was a gross event with no strokes for handicaps.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Statistically impossible....  

About 17 years ago, I used to run a fair number of men's club events at my local club and was mainly in charge of scoring and handicapping.  There were always a couple of 18-24 handicaps that came in and had "career rounds" on big tournament days. I'm talking net 55 and the like. I was taking a stats class at the time, and was VERY into the numbers of the whole thing. Long story less long, I communicated with the USGA and a few other organizations regarding handicaps, and it is statistically impossible for a 20 handicap to shoot a gross 73. That player does not possess the skill required to play at that level over a complete round. I cannot happen. Ever. That the handicap system allows this to go on is a complete joke. I hate HATE HATE net events. I am not good enough to compete gross anymore, but I will not subject myself to the Net Cheating that goes on...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Played a four man scramble last week with me playing off scratch, another off scratch, a 2.1 and a 2.7 in which we shot -17 and did not even place. The guys that won it "posted" -21 and somehow did it with straight faces. One of the guys I played with looked up their handicaps and the lowest was a 12. Also keep in mind that this was a gross event with no strokes for handicaps.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I hate HATE HATE net events. I am not good enough to compete gross anymore, but I will not subject myself to the Net Cheating that goes on...

I'm with you Buddy….the thing that has me shaking my head is that this guy wasn't even coy about cheating.  If you're gonna cheat, at least make it believable.  But then again, if you're gonna cheat, you might as well cheat big.  There's this guy's tombstone epitaph...

Reminds me of the old story out of North Korea when "Dear Leader" Kim Jong Il tried golf…and kept getting holes in one on every hole….

mulligan.jpg

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Sorry - double post...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Could not agree more. I stopped playing net events over a decade ago when I got tired of shooting gross 71 and losing to a gross 88 net 68.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Could not agree more. I stopped playing net events over a decade ago when I got tired of shooting gross 71 and losing to a gross 88 net 68.

But at least that's not preposterous like some of the scores being reported here. Statistically a 20 is capable of shooting an 88 just as a 1 might shoot a 69. Both happen on occasion.

I prefer events that offer both net and gross prizes. That seems to keep everyone happy.

I also don't get why someone who turns in a net 53 isn't immediately punished in some way or another. If the club had the chart that mmmmmbuddy provided they could disqualify and then have his handicap adjusted and frozen for a period of time. Something like that. Florida is much better at this stuff than other places that I've played. If you are entering any sort of net event here you best be well known at the club or have your handicap card with.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Agreed that it is not out of the realm of possibility, but is is very frustrating shooting one or two under and losing to someone that barely breaks 90.

We had a group at my former club that were the biggest abusers of the handicap system but since the six of them spent a ton of coin in the shop it was looked past. Two years in a row two from the group won the B and C flights of the club championship with gross scores lower than the A flight and would have been top six in the Chpionship flight. Maybe I just got tired of losing to them....

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

It's a funny thing this one event that I have played in for the last 5 years or so is won every year by 20 or 21 under it is amazing!! funny thing about it is that it was one of those deals where I was playing because my customer was one of the sponsors and had two teams. (the funny thing also is now as of 3 weeks ago that customer is no longer a customer of mine but now my employer) We have always had the same team which I will take heads up against any out there for serious money. The course is a pretty demanding course. We usually shoot around 10 to 12 every year and get blowed out of the water. The pro there who is a friend of mine that I play with some both casually and in events remarked to me one day " you are around the golf scene on the beach pretty much take any 4 players here on this beach pro or good amateur and see if they can shoot 20 or 21 on this course" I told him no way he said correct. Me and another teamate offered to bet any team heads up for $1000 against our team as long as they played with us or we had spotters there were no takers. After the event we offered the same deal to the winning team and the runner up no takers. Of course we might have gotten beat but we would have went down honestly. Heck we offered a match the next day with each member putting $50 a man in the pot winner take all no takers again. My pro friend said he knew there would be no takers on that if they had people watching and there was no cheating involved. If I get beat I should have played better but like I said I detest being cheated. It is all about principles to me. Any how the charity raised a lot of money for their cause so they were the real winner and that is what counted in the long run.

Ok I will get off my soapbox now thanks for letting me vent

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Any how the charity raised a lot of money for their cause so they were the real winner and that is what counted in the long run.

And that right there is the only reason I play in scrambles. The charity wins.

They ARE fun if you have no misconception of winning (without cheating).

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Agreed that it is not out of the realm of possibility, but is is very frustrating shooting one or two under and losing to someone that barely breaks 90.

We had a group at my former club that were the biggest abusers of the handicap system but since the six of them spent a ton of coin in the shop it was looked past. Two years in a row two from the group won the B and C flights of the club championship with gross scores lower than the A flight and would have been top six in the Chpionship flight. Maybe I just got tired of losing to them....

Now that I can relate too! That's why I like the grooms/net combo. I'm looking at my handicap right now and thinking I have a one month window to make some hay. The handicap is legit and I had to deal with a much lower one that I couldn't play to for eight months so I don't feel too bad. This may put this entire thread into perspective. I'm currently an 8 or 9 depending upon where I play. If I were to shoot my career best round (65) and got 9 I would still not beat Barbajo's antagonist, even though my handicap is off by about six strokes.

To the scramble thing I used to play in a nice money one. It was a 5 man scramble and there were limitations - your team had to total 54, you could only have two under 9 or if you had a pro no single digit. Each hole had a spotter who wrote and initialed the group's score on the card. Five players, not an overly tough course and 16 normally won. I don't buy the 20's that we sometimes see for a moment.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Now that I can relate too! That's why I like the grooms/net combo. I'm looking at my handicap right now and thinking I have a one month window to make some hay. The handicap is legit and I had to deal with a much lower one that I couldn't play to for eight months so I don't feel too bad. This may put this entire thread into perspective. I'm currently an 8 or 9 depending upon where I play. If I were to shoot my career best round (65) and got 9 I would still not beat Barbajo's antagonist, even though my handicap is off by about six strokes.

To the scramble thing I used to play in a nice money one. It was a 5 man scramble and there were limitations - your team had to total 54, you could only have two under 9 or if you had a pro no single digit. Each hole had a spotter who wrote and initialed the group's score on the card. Five players, not an overly tough course and 16 normally won. I don't buy the 20's that we sometimes see for a moment.

The scramble thing with a spotter is exactly how they do most of the big money calcuttas I have played in. Now with some of the crowd I have been in big money calcuttas you do not have to worry about cheating because if you got caught---- I will not say any more

G

The scramble thing with a spotter is exactly how they do most of the big money calcuttas I have played in. Now with some of the crowd I have been in big money calcuttas you do not have to worry about cheating because if you got caught---- I will not say any more

Exactly the way it should be.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Most of the handicap hi-jinks I am privy to involve the following statement. "I'm not going to turn in that score because that's way better/worse than I normally shoot."

Of course if you explain to them that the point of the system is to fairly judge what you are capable of and not your average score they stare at you like you just spit in their corn flakes.

The ones that won't post poor scores are of no concern to me. Go ahead and wear your 2 handicap sticker like a badge of honor. When I have to play against you and you put up an 83 I'll laugh all the way to the winners bracket.

The ones that refuse to post good scores are of course the biggest issue and are the reason the system can't be relied upon without outside knowledge of someone's game.

I have found shame to be the only acceptable solution to this problem. When someone makes the statement above and I'm in earshot I always make sure to bring it up every time I see them.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Archived