TESTERS WANTED! ×

Replacing long irons with hybrids

hckymeyer

I was in love with my bag for almost two months this season.  I usually play anywhere from 2-4 rounds a week so that was a fair amount of play for me to have not changed a single club.

Lately I've been thinking that my 4i probably hurts me more than helps me.  I love to remember the beautiful shots I have hit with it, but the reality is that I don't hit it good enough often enough to be completely confident in it.  So I went on Global Golf when they were having a hybrid sale and picked up a 22° Adams Super LS for $50.  Figured it was worth a shot and worst case I could probably come close to breaking even if I had to sell it.

I've only played one round with it in the bag and hit it a few times on the range.  So far it's awesome though, nice ball flight, more consistent distance than my 4i and much much easier to hit straight.  This lead me to think maybe I should get a 25° and replace the 5i too.  I hit that more consistent than my 4i, but this hybrid is just stupid easy to hit.

So the question goes out, who's ended up replacing long irons with hybrids and what have your results been?  Did you like the switch or did you go back to your irons in the end?  How far down the bag did you replace?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

If they're easier to hit, why not keep them in the bag? No sense making the game harder. I play 2 hybrids now and start with a 5 iron.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I replaced my 3 and 4 irons when hybrids first came out and haven't owned one since. That would be about 7 years ago.

I would never go back, but then again I was never a good long iron player.

I took my old 3 iron out with me about 2 years ago on a very windy day thinking that I could keep it low and hit it into the wind.

LOL. I didn't hit it solid once. Even with the height of my hybrids they went twice as far as any of the 3 iron shots I hit into the wind.

I have thought about replacing my 5 iron as well, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I have vacillated between carrying 5 as my longest iron and 6, that's what happens on the LPGA and I think our games are closer to theirs than a certain other tour.

I'm currently bagging a 4 hybrid but have a 3 and a 5. I had another thread about issues that I was having but that was a 5 1/2" issue and not the club.

It really comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I carry a 4 hybrid, always carried 3-4 irons until I read an article with Matt kuchar were he said that he carries 3-4 hybrids and 5-pw irons because "mere mortals" can't hit 3-4 irons consistently. So I tried a hybrid and have never looked back. I always had the thought of hybrids are for women and old people. Boy was I wrong!

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

TM SLDR 5-p Xstiff Ctaper hard stepped 1 1/2 ext 3 deg upright

Cobra trusty rusty 51,55,59 deg

Nike method core MC01w

I am in the process of looking to get rid of my hybrid. I can't ever seem to hit it well and when we played in Memphis I pretty much lost 2 clubs out of the bag cause I didn't have any confidence in the hybrid or FW

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I still play a 4 iron but I recently switched to the JPX EZ Forged and they are much more forgiving than any irons I have had in a while.  3 iron is replaced with an Adams 4 hybrid that I hit the same distance as my 3 iron but much more solid and consistent.  Has "proto by you" shaft in it.  I usually take the 4 iron out of the bag and choke down on the 4H if I need to add the 5 wood depending on where I am playing.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I replaced my 3 and 4 hybrids with the Cobra Bio Cell 4 iron (175 yds) and a Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid set at 18.5*.

I can also use the 4 iron for 150 yds knockdowns when under the trees.

I use the 2 Hybrid as a Stinger to get 200 yds straight down the fairway.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I absolutely love my 913 hybrids.  I carry a 24Ëš and a 27Ëš.  The 27Ëš replaced my 5i.  I really didn't want to do it but there was no comparison for me;  much much more consistent distance.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I currently have a 14* 3 wood, a 17* 4 wood, a 18 and 23* hybrids then 5-P and 52&60 in the bag, and driver and putter.  Of course that may change but that is what I will game on Friday unless I play tomorrow. 

I can hit a MP FLI HI 18* 2 iron but why?  I can play the tips every round, and hit blades and even hit a standard 2 iron, but why?  It is a game not a test.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• SPY VIP

The Nickents I bought 7 years ago were 3,4 hybrid and I couldn't believe I'd been struggling with long irons for so many years. Then the RocketBladez came along and the 4 iron was magical, but let's face it they're bordering on hybrid at that point when the 4 goes 218y.

Recently got Tmag Tour Preferred CB's 4-7 and the 4 iron is so easy to hit that hybrid won't be needed there, but the NIckent 3 is back in the bag and it's a heavenly. So good I've gotten a hold of a matching 2 hybrid to fill out the top end.

With all my swing troubles of late I won't bag an iron over 4 with hybrids being so easy to hit. On a recent trip of 3 rounds it was a running joke amongst everyone that my hybrid was the auto fairway finder. Just can't miss with these things.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I tried replacing my 4i with a hybrid, didn't work out.

So just added a 3H between my 3W and 4i :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Let's throw this question into the mix. Assuming you could hit both long irons or hybrid equally well which would you choose and why?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Let's throw this question into the mix. Assuming you could hit both long irons or hybrid equally well which would you choose and why?

I would still hit the hybrids. The higher ball flight they provide fits the courses I play much better than the lower trajectory of the longer irons.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Great question Rev, and I'll vote for irons all things being equal. I think there are more shots you can play with them and my course is typically very windy and it's easier to flight down an iron.

On a side note I hit the 22 degree a couple times in my round yesterday and I'm in love with it. I really need to take it to a monitor with the rest of the top end of my bag and figure out my gapping and then ditch the 5i for another hybrid

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Long irons for me because if I catch one thin it's got a better chance of at least advancing forward. With a hybrid it just ends up 5 feet in front of me

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Assuming consitency, length, etc. being equal, I would go for the iron. Looks better (thank you MBP :D ), feels better and I have a variety of shots that the hybrid doesn't offer.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I'll vote for hybrids. For me there's more versatility. And chipping is an added bonus that's much more difficult with irons vs hybrids

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I would still choose to keep my 3 iron in the bag as I tend to hit that well and am able to do a lot with it. Going beyond my 3 iron though I would probably have both a 2 hybrid and a standard 2 iron that I would switch in and out of my bag depending on wind conditions

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I'd choose the hybrid because at the end of the day it's more versatile.  Half or 3/4 swing on the hybrids produce brilliant result, not the same on the long irons.  My 5 hybrid can comfortably replace 1i-4i, I just add Cobra biocell 6 hybrid (lady's head/mens shaft) to cover 4i-7i.  It only took a few rounds to get used to, distance control was not a steep learning curve.  The only thing I could not do consistenly on a hybrid is to hit it right or left to right.

Before this I only carry 11-12 clubs so it's not that I didn't have room for extra clubs.  I'm at the point in my game that I can buy a club(s) and make it work for me instead of learning how to use it.  Later, I may try the pro model hoping that those hybrid would have more square or open face and less offset to eliminate or reduce the draw bias built in to most hybrid.

Welcome Rusty glad you jumped in. I like a combo of some sort. I've added 5 iron to the bag, kept 4 hybrid for chipping and replaced 3 hybrid with a. 5 wood that I hit very high with a draw so the things goes even into the wind.

I respect Dan's answer though and am sure that the long iron is a far better weapon to nab a Yeti with.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That's a tough question, I agree with MBP that all irons look wicked but I love the versatility of the hybrid, I use mine to "putt" from the collar at time etc. so I'm gonna go with... It's a TIE!

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

TM SLDR 5-p Xstiff Ctaper hard stepped 1 1/2 ext 3 deg upright

Cobra trusty rusty 51,55,59 deg

Nike method core MC01w

I took the 4i out and played a hybrid, but soon after it betrayed me. I didn't put the 4i back in the bag. I just carry a 5 wood and it works for me. Added a wedge, which I use far more often than a hybrid.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Playing with Mr_Theoo last week and talking about it, he's got me looking for Adams hybrids to replace my Bafflers.  :blink:

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Playing with Mr_Theoo last week and talking about it, he's got me looking for Adams hybrids to replace my Bafflers. :blink:

They have the best head shapes out right now. I'm thinking of trying a dhy now that I've traded in my stage 2 hybrid

I replaced my 3 & 4 hybrids with a 5W and 4i after I switched to the Cobra Bio Cells.......I get much more accuracy out of the 4 iron (175 yds) and my 5 wood is a solid 175-180 yds.  I know they are very close but they are totally different shots.  I can easily put a fade on the 5W to go high and drop it on the green.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Have had a love/hate relationship with hybrids -- finally settled on 2 year old Cobra Bafflers.  Carrying a 2,3 and 4 hybrid, then 5 thru PW in irons.  I could go either way with the 4 irons -- although I'm pretty sure the 4 hybrid travels a bit farther...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

As I have said many times it is whatever floats your boat. I cant hit a Hybrid worth a hoot no matter the brand name shaft or any factor. My weapon of choice is a 21* 7 wood. I still carry a 4 iron and can hit it good. I will hit the 4 iron off of certain lies. the 7 wood I can draw and control and I can hit a high cut with. I cant hit the 4 iron quite as high. If we are having windy conditions I will either pull the 7 wood or 60* wedge out of the bag and subsitute either my MacGregor VIP 2 iron or my 985 Armour 1 iron. I can still hit a what we call a quail high stinger with either one

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived