TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tips and advice for playing longer courses

westy

So next week I'm playing a comp at a course near me that's a fair bit longer than I'm used and I thought I'd throw it out there for advice as to shooting the best score possible.

I normally play courses in the mid to low 6000 yards; the Championship course at The players club (Bristol, uk) is 7700 yards (oh and this is within 100 feet of sea level as well).

Added to this are two monster par 5's including one which is 720 yards in length and the other over 650. Plenty of water to be carried as well.

So I can't rely on 300 yard plus drives so what advice have you got for keeping that score as low as possible? Probably on the mental side I suppose?

Cheers

Mike

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Why would you play from those tees?  If you are in a group that is hell bent on it I would point out that tour events (both European and PGA as well as the USGA and R and A) never use the full course - they have it at their disposal to supply differing hole distances and possibilities but they never set a course to its full length.

It's actually what made the Golf Digest a 10 handicapper breaking 100 on a US Open course kind of a joke the two times that they did it.  The 10's group played a course at a length that the best players in the world never saw.  I played Whistling Straits from the tips once for kicks (7,600 yards).  When I showed up to watch the PGA there were bleachers set up on 1 and 10 where I played from shortening both holes by about 80 yards and actually tempting some of the guys to drive 10.  From that tee I could easily have driven over a bunker that was right in my landing area from the back and would have had a short iron in instead of a blind shot with a fairway wood.  The PGA also shortened a couple of the par 5's because of the wind.  It seems that 1/3 of the field couldn't reach the fairway on 11 - wish they had told me - Obviously I couldn't either and had to aim for a mound where there was less fescue to have any chance to find my ball and play the hole out.

At any rate If  getting your group to blend tees doesn't work you're simply going to have to treat many of the par 4's as if they were par 5's.  Hit the ball in the fairway off the tee at all costs and then layup to your favorite yardage, recognize that bogey won't ruin your score card and also realize that you are going to shoot a higher number than you're accustomed to.  What might really kill you are a couple of par 3's that play in the 230 range with no place to bail out.  Be very careful with those.  Bunkers with a level lie are better than thick rough unless you're a terrible bunker player.

Remember bogey is your friend, double NG and you can keep it more than respectable.

Good luck....

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great advice Rev.  That's my first question too, any specific reason you can't move up some tee's?  Or is it some type of tourney where everyone plays from the tips?

For your game like Rev mentioned it's going to be important to find the places you can bail out, I have a feeling it's going to be a round of the lesser of two evils.  Really work on that short game.  Less putts and more up and downs could really save you a few strokes when you are going to be coming into a lot of holes in more than a GIR or with much longer irons/hybrids/woods than you normally would.

And yes, the biggest hurdle will probably be the mental game.  Being able to accept not reaching a long par 4 in two, or par 5 in three will be tough.  You have to accept going in that bogey is a great score and not let it rattle you.  Then try to capitalize on any holes where you do have a chance to score well.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm in a similar situation.  I'm playing the best golf of my life, and our club championship is approaching quickly.  I'm planning to play in the championship flight, which will be played from the back tees, about 550 yards longer than the regular men's tees, where I normally play.  For me, the key will be driving the ball accurately and solidly, and I KNOW that will require normal solid swings.  Hard swings, extra effort, will mean off-center strikes, losing distance and accuracy both.  I have to convince myself that my normal swing is all I need.  The normal swing is what I need for second shots too, even if I'm hitting 5-iron instead of wedge, it has to be the same tempo, same swing.   I also know I'll need to adjust my expectations, accept bogey more often, play for good position to make up-and-down easier.  I'll need to make smart decisions, not desperate ones.  You know, the more I read what I write, its obvious to me, its completely between the ears.  But golf is always between the ears.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm in a similar situation.  I'm playing the best golf of my life, and our club championship is approaching quickly.  I'm planning to play in the championship flight, which will be played from the back tees, about 550 yards longer than the regular men's tees, where I normally play.  For me, the key will be driving the ball accurately and solidly, and I KNOW that will require normal solid swings.  Hard swings, extra effort, will mean off-center strikes, losing distance and accuracy both.  I have to convince myself that my normal swing is all I need.  The normal swing is what I need for second shots too, even if I'm hitting 5-iron instead of wedge, it has to be the same tempo, same swing.   I also know I'll need to adjust my expectations, accept bogey more often, play for good position to make up-and-down easier.  I'll need to make smart decisions, not desperate ones.  You know, the more I read what I write, its obvious to me, its completely between the ears.  But golf is always between the ears.

If you plan to play the championship flight, move back NOW.  You shouldn't be practicing from the whites anyway.   It'll give you time to get over the change.

Tees chosen are psychological to some degree -- unless you have forced 270 carries for drives.  In which case, you either have the game or you have to move up.   In order to tame the psychological monster of length it helps me to remember that even a 700 yard beast is just 3 easy 5 woods.   I tell myself, I can handle 3 easy five woods.

I play two local courses:  one is always from the tips because it's short and they lie about their distances.   The other I always play from the blues or whites because it's too long for my old bones.    I choose my tee box based on one factor -- can I reach more than half the 5's with an iron?  If I can, I move back until I can't, but no further.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I don't want to jack Westy's thread - lots of good advice here. 

I think there are a variety of ways to determine what tees to play from.  One way is to know that the average club into a par 4 on tour is an 8 iron.  You should be able to figure out what set of tees would give you that result.  Another way is to figure out course rating/slope that provides a nice challenge for your game and choose based on that. 

Of course distance works but don't take the suggested yardage on the card, instead go to the state golf association of the state that you live in and look at the yardage they use for their championships based on your age.  For me in Florida its 6,400 so I try and find a set of tees close to that.  If you're a mid handicapper and you're playing here and you're over 55 you should probably look for a set of tees under 6,400 given that the FLGA is going to have its better golfers in that age group at that distance.  BTW it uses 6,700 for the younger guy's championships.

Dave I think I'd always play from the blues at your course if I were you.  It's usually easier to move up than back and it's oh so tempting to start thinking, "I usually have wedge here," when you have to pull that hybrid - better off getting used to it. 

We had a situation in our league where we used to play tees based on handicap.  If you were 6 or under you played the tips.  We had so many guys that would flip week by week because of the difference in distance that it was ridiculous.  There are three holes where it's an 60 yard plus difference between the sets of tees - 2 - 520 to 600, 17 520 to 580 (almost always into the wind), 18, 380 to 450 (and it makes it impossible for all but the longest to cut a corner so it's really a larger distance than that.)  The course is at least 4 strokes harder from the back tees.  I was very happy when we voted to just all play the whites and let handicaps balance it out - most of our low handicappers are in their 50's and 60's anyway. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

In any normal circumstances I'd never rush to those tees, but a competition is a competition - they can reduce the course to 6000 yards but for this one event of the year they keep it loooooong.

So if I'm away from home I might enter events at short courses, doesn't make them easier I've found, or long courses. I cannot enter the best amateur events because I'm not a low enough handicap - but of course yardage as with every other challenge is the same for everyone. Courses this length though (in fact over 7000 yards) are rare in the uk, I for one would expect to face a tougher challenge on a shorter links course than one a 1000 yards longer inland.

I'm thinking accept bogeys and minimise anything worse.....

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

My advice is first off dont try to kill the ball. Use your brain and position the ball on the longer holes that you cannot hit in regulation to a confortable full wedge or 9 iron distance. if you can hit the wedges and putt pretty decent it will give you maybe a 60 to 70% chance of par. Dont try to push the envelope too much remember a bogey is better than a double or higher. I was in a simular situtation a few years back in a mini event. It was a pretty long course in the foothills of NC. I was supposed to play in the senior division at 6500 yds or so but no seniors showed up. The event was already pre paid for me by a sponsor so they wanted me to play anyhow in the regular division. I used my head for 2 days and worked my wedges and putter to death along with my 3 and 7 woods. I ended up shooting 76 74 at 7400 yds. Ended up finishing in the money in 10th place out of 44 players I was the oldest player in the field at 52 years of age. I will admit I had a fantastic short iron and putting 2 days dont I would never have pulled it off. Ended up getting a sponsors exemption for a Hooters event up the road and played it doing the same thing ended up 25th that week. The main thing I am saying is that I kept my head and played my game and I will admit I was not intimadated I was stoked going into both events an old fart playing against limberbacks. It is all in the mind think of it as an accomplishment and take pride and do it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Agree with everyone here... as a short hitter whose friends love to play the tips, the best tip I could say is to not expect to go out there and shoot low. Take your poisons and play safe when you can. When you have a shot at par or birdie, take your time and take advantage. 

Most of all have fun with the new challenge.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Agree with everyone here... as a short hitter whose friends love to play the tips, the best tip I could say is to not expect to go out there and shoot low. Take your poisons and play safe when you can. When you have a shot at par or birdie, take your time and take advantage. 

Most of all have fun with the new challenge.

As a short hitter I'd get new friends! :)

Actually my friends used to love to do that to me until they discovered I would do better against them when we played the tips. Took the trouble out of play for me (the shorter hitter) and meant that they had more club into the green too. After a while the stopped looking to move back. I don't have to worry about it anymore anyway which is great. Most people play a set of tees to far back. It's ridiculously consistent. Makes sense too, most people over estimate how far they hit it by 30 yards which is about one set of tees too long.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Distance is just numbers; it takes the same set of skills to play well from 6000 or 7500+. The only difference is you may have more birdie opportunities at a shorter distance. Just have this mentality.......at 6000, the most birdies is going to win, at 7700 the least "others" is going to win. Playing bogey golf at 7700 is going to be good enough to beat 95% of the golfing population.

Well said Rev (BTW I am typing this while i am setting up the sound board for services today) Me and the wife will be looking at a tournament on TV sometimes being held at courses I have played in my younger days. Good example is this week they are playing the US am at Atlanta  Athletic Club. I played that course back in the 80s for a US Open regional. On one hole they were hitting 3 woods to avoid the trap on the left. I remember in the persimmon and balata days I could reach that trap with a driver at about 270 or so in fact I remembered I did hit it. I was telling my wife about that but now even with my modern driver and ball I could not reach it no issue. Might could make a par on the hole now instead of the dbl bogey then. OH well time marches on we get older shorter and maybe wiser. BTW shot 82  77 in that event did not qualify

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

If you are not a long hitter this is perfect for you.  It would pretty much be a routine driver and hybrid, which both seems to suit shorter hitter game.  My style of play would also add a shot on my score card on the top 5 most difficult par 4s, it would make my approach to the hole more simple, as I could lay up.  I found that on a long and challenging approach shot to the green, 2 pitching wedge shots trumps a fairway wood shot any day.

Like Jbone said, distance is just numbers, you still have to play the same shots you have in the bag.

JBones has it. I'd go even further and plot out the course beforehand. Have a number in your head, say 460. Anything over that, play as a par 5. Keep it in play, and you will shoot a lot better than you think.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

JBones has it. I'd go even further and plot out the course beforehand. Have a number in your head, say 460. Anything over that, play as a par 5. Keep it in play, and you will shoot a lot better than you think.

sounds about right. I like to know what holes to be aggressive on and which ones bogey=par.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

I agree with Rev........play the longer holes as a par 5.......3 to the green then up & down.

I play 6,025 yards every week, but do enjoy playing courses at 6,200 - 6,500 yards.  For some reason I am able to score on them a bit better because they are usually a bit more open.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...

So I played the comp on Saturday, shot 25th best gross score out of over 70. Handicaps ranging upwards from +1, lots of low single figures and many players between 5 and 10.

So in terms of result quite pleased.

Now let's put this in context - the best score was 80! It was very very hard, length was one thing but it was cold and breezy and the pins were brutal.

But put that to one side, it was the same for everyone - did I engage brain? Oh dear, oh dear oh dear.

I knew there was out of bounds right at the first, did I aim left? Nope went down the middle and cut it out of bounds. Made 8.

A par and birdie follow.... Ok confidence raising. On the next tee.

Hit hybrid for safety, into a hazard - hits a rock and bounces onto fairway - long way back though, should have laid up short of the next hazard but went for it with fairway (splash).

So every time I made a par or two I then chucked in a stupid double, or worse!

Did have a put for par at the 727 yard par 5 though - just shaved the edge. Hit driver, fairway, 5 iron and full wedge.

Made par at all of the par 3's, which given I had to hit driver on one, fairway on two and a hybrid into the other felt good.

It was great fun, really enjoyed myself - but once a year will more than suffice.

Scorecard pictured pre round (less keen for a picture after!).

image.jpg

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

I'd have played the reds.

Good show!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'd have played the reds.

Good show!

Yeah those distances are nuts.  In general I try to play the tees that only have 3-4 par 4's over 400 yards and most in the driver iron area. Anything approaching 500 yards is a par 5 for me.

Archived