Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Golf's Most Wanted Push Cart 2014 - Additional Photos, Comments, & Tasty Tidbits

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

bonus photo1.jpg

The scores are all tallied and the BagBoy Tri-Swivel 2 earned the title of Golf's Most Wanted Push Cart for 2014. You have likely already seen the post on the blog (HERE), but I thought that you would be interested in hearing a bit more about the contestant carts and also seeing a few more photos. OK, there are lots of photos...

Let's run down the list, from first to last place, and see where the carts excelled, and where they came up short.

1st Place:  BagBoy Tri-Swivel 2 (90 Points)

BBTriSwivel-2.jpg

Pros:

• Twisting front wheel. This is a huge feature for the Tri-Swivel 2. No other cart tested maneuvered like this one. This thing has more lateral movement than the average NBA point guard. As an added bonus, there is a lever under the console to lock the wheel in the forward position. This is likely for those of you who only play straight down the middle of the course...
  • Velcro straps are strong and secure. I was very skeptical about the BagBoy straps when we started testing. I didn't think that there was any way that the velcro would hold as well as the other strap systems. I was flat out wrong. Once you buckle the bag in and tighten the straps, it's not going anywhere. I pulled on them with the scale and couldn't get them to come loose, even with over 45 pounds of pull. The velcro holds, but then quickly releases when you want to take your bag off. It was almost as impressive as the front wheel.

Cons:

• The con for this cart was one that was not scored. It does not stay as tightly folded when closed as some of the others. There is a bit of unfolding that can occur if you don't have everything just right. I would have liked it to really lock shut, like the Clicgear 3.5+ does. This may be a non-issue if you buy the storage bag accessory. I see this as a must have accessory if you want to keep grass and other course materials out of your trunk.

BBTriSwivel-3.jpgBBTriSwivel-4.jpgBBTriSwivel-5.jpgBBTriSwivel-6.jpgBBTriSwivel-1.jpg

2nd Place:  Clicgear 3.5+ (89 Points)

Clicgear3.5-1.jpg

Pros:

• Fantastic console and net.
  • Stable
  • Excellent bag versatility. The clamps and straps will secure just about anything. Carry, cart, or staff bags are secure in the arms of the Clicgear.
  • Small folded volume that locks securely
  • I have played and reviewed multiple versions of this cart and it just keeps getting better. I gush on this cart all of the time. One of the readers even accused me of working for Clicgear due to my praise. I don't, but this cart is still fantastic.

Cons:

• Some will struggle folding and unfolding the cart when they first get it. This is a common complaint, but a silly one. Once you use it for a while, the folding is quick and easy. Think of it like driving a manual transmission car. You grind gears at first, but after a while you are downshifting through turns and moving through the gearbox like a pro.

Clicgear3.5-2.jpgClicgear3.5-3.jpgClicgear3.5-4.jpgClicgear3.5-5.jpgClicgear3.5-6.jpg

3rd Place:  BagBoy Quad Plus (87 Points)

BBQuadPlus-1.jpg

Pros:

• This cart is super simple to unfold and only slightly more complicated to fold. Flip one lever and lift. Lock the handle and you are off.
  • Stellar velcro strap system.
  • Front axle width can be adjusted to fit your huge staff bag Mr. Czervik.

Cons:

• This cart had the weakest brake score of the cohort.
  • I would like to see a lower strap. This cart did a nice job holding the bag, but I still wanted to see a lower strap.

BBQuadPlus-6.jpgBBQuadPlus-4.jpgBBQuadPlus-5.jpgBBQuadPlus-3.jpgBBQuadPlus-2.jpgBBQuadPlus-8.jpgBBQuadPlus-7.jpg

4th Place:  Big Max Blade (86 Points)

BigMaxBlade-1.jpg

Pros:

• It's flat when folded. Really flat. Slide under your bed flat. No other cart comes close to this one in this category. It's amazing. See the bonus photo at the end of this post for reference.
  • Carry bag included
  • Magnetic ball marker holder in console.

Cons:

• Foot brakes
  • Console volume was sacrificed for small folded profile. If you bring lots of gear (wallet, phone, keys, and etc), you may end up storing some of it in your bag.
  • Bag mount at the bottom is a bit small.

BigMaxBlade-3.jpgBigMaxBlade-4.jpgBigMaxBlade-5.jpgBigMaxBlade-6.jpgBigMaxBlade-7.jpgBigMaxBlade-2.jpg

5th Place:  Sun Mountain V1 Sport Speed Cart (84 Points) 

SunMountainSpeedCart-1.jpg

Pros:

• If you want to play speed golf, this is the cart for you. The cart rolls with ease. The geometry of the design really focuses your forward momentum along the plane of the cart's roll. You don't fight it's design you merge with it.
  • Simple folding and unfolding.
  • Bag clips are easy to adjust to most bags
  • Large cargo net

Cons:

• Large folded size. This one will eat up some trunk space.
  • Smaller enclosed console.
  • The front wheel comes off the ground with minimal downward force, which is great for turning, but can also lead to tipping if not careful.

SunMountainSpeedCart-4.jpgSunMountainSpeedCart-5.jpgSunMountainSpeedCart-2.jpgSunMountainSpeedCart-3.jpg

5th Place:  BagBoy C3 (84 Points)

BBC3-1.jpg

Pros:

• Lightest cart tested (14.3 pounds)
  • Excellent bag fit and strap system
  • Lots of storage with console and under console bag.

Cons:

• Doesn't lock as tightly when closed.
  • Brake not as secure as some of the other carts.
  • Takes a bit more force to roll than other carts, which is surprising since it's so light.

BBC3-2.jpgBBC3-4.jpgBBC3-6.jpgBBC3-3.jpgBBC3-5.jpg

7th Place:  Clicgear ROVIC RV1C (83 Points)

RovicRV1C-1.jpg

Pros:

• Excellent bag holding system, like the Clicgear 3.5+.
  • Console is large, though integrated cup holder takes up some of the room.
  • Compact when folded

Cons:

• Turning requires a bit more effort as there is some flex at the top of the cart.
  • Brake not as strong as others.
  • Takes a bit more force to roll than other carts

RovicRV1C-2.jpgRovicRV1C-4.jpgRovicRV1C-3.jpgRovicRV1C-5.jpg

7th Place:  Big Max IQ+ (83 Points)

BigMaxIQ-1.jpg

Pros:

• Unique mesh-bottomed console.
  • Effortless rolling
  • Brackets accommodate multiple bag shapes

Cons:

• Unique mesh-bottomed console. It's a bit strange. It could easily end up with junk-drawer like organization.
  • The bunjee straps are too flexible to keep the bag totally secure. The hook system is nice, the straps just need to be a bit firmer in construction.

BigMaxIQ-2.jpgBigMaxIQ-3.jpgBigMaxIQ-4.jpgBigMaxIQ-5.jpg

7th Place:  Sun Mountain Micro-Cart Sport (83 Points)

SunMountainSpeed-1.jpg

Pros:

• Storage, storage, storage. You have a console and a huge bag to load with gear. Just make sure you take your lunch out of the bag before you fold it up.
  • Quick and versatile bag clips
  • Locks securely when folded.
  • Unlocks quickly once you know the secret (it's the cup holder).
  • Very light weight
  • Black and red looks amazing. This one just looks super cool to me...

Cons:

• The compact nature of the Micro-cart makes it a bit unstable. The wheel-base is not as long or wide as some of the others and so it is a little more laterally tipping prone.
  • The light force to tip up the front wheels makes it a nimble cart, but it could tip like the Speed Cart as well.
  • Magnetic scorecard holder. I didn't really like this feature when I reviewed them before. I was paranoid about magnets and my phone in the console. Maybe it's not an issue and I'm just paranoid.

SunMountainSpeed-6.jpgSunMountainSpeed-3.jpgSunMountainSpeed-4.jpgSunMountainSpeed-2.jpgSunMountainSpeed-5.jpg

10th Place:  BigMax TI1000 Autofold (82 Points)

BigMaxT1000-1.jpg

Pros:

• Simple fold and unfold system.
  • Straps and clamps securely hold both bag types.
  • Small folded volume.

Cons:

• Wide when folded. Sits flat. Not Blade flat, but flat.
  • Console is not up to the standard of some of the other carts. It has spots for what you need, but the volume is just too small to hold lots of other swag.

BigMaxT1000-2.jpgBigMaxT1000-3.jpgBigMaxT1000-4.jpgBigMaxT1000-5.jpg

11th Place:  Clicgear Model 8 (79 Points)

ClicgearModel8-1.jpg

Pros:

• Stability. Gibraltar-like stability. It's heavy, true, but once you unfold it, the Model 8 just sucks itself to the ground. There is no tipping this one over.
  • In spite of it's mass, it still rolls well and is quite nimble.
  • Console is the same fantastic one found in the Clicgear 3.5+
  • Easy folding and unfolding with a spot of practice.

Cons:

• It's heavy (21.5 pounds)
  • It only has a top strap.
  • Cart bags remained secure, but the carry bag twisted constantly in the bracket, regardless of how tight the strap was adjusted. This would be a huge problem if you plan on using the Model 8 with your carry bag. Bag security would improve with a lower strap, but the real culprit is not the strap, but rather the bracket that the strap is attached to. While the Clicgear 3.5+ four-piece bracket can be adjusted to wrap around bags of multiple sizes, the Model 8 bracket only has two pieces and is thus not as adjustable. Where the Clicgear 3.5+ has a "U" shape that cradles the bag, this one is more of a "V" where the legs on the carry bag just can't find stable purchase. I believe that the bracket is the way it is because of how the cart folds and unfolds. It's really too bad that it doesn't have the 3.5+'s bracket. It would have jumped a whole lot higher in the rankings if it did.

ClicgearModel8-5.jpgClicgearModel8-3.jpgClicgearModel8-6.jpgClicgearModel8-4.jpgClicgearModel8-2.jpgClicgearModel8-7.jpg

12th Place:  Clicgear ROVIC RV3F (78 Points)

Rovic1-1.jpg

Pros:

• Amazingly strong brake. This cart just doesn't move with the brake engaged.
  • Large console and a huge net storage area between the back wheels.
  • Simple fold and unfold system, though sliding out the bottom bag holding shelf makes it just a little slower.
  • Excellent bag fit. The wider base at the bracket easily accommodates both carry and stand bags.

Cons:

• It's heavy (20.1 pounds)
  • Large folded volume
  • Short front to rear wheel base makes it less stable. It was very prone to tipping on the side hill part of our test course.
  • Construction is not as rugged as the Clicgear 3.5+. I have used and abused my Clicgear 3.5+ cart and it has held up without issue. The materials on this cart just don't feel as strong. I don't have any way to quantify this, but the brake and the console lid on the 3.5+ just feel significantly stronger than on this cart.

Rovic1-2.jpgRovic1-3.jpgRovic1-4.jpgRovic1-5.jpgRovic1-6.jpg

13th Place:  Clicgear ROVIC RV3J (64 Points)

ROVICJunior-1.jpg

Pros:

• It's a very small cart, likely perfect for the very small golfer.
  • While it struggled with the full sized bags, it fit my son's old junior bag nicely.
  • Easy to fold and unfold.

Cons:

• It's a small cart designed for junior golfers. This is a Pro as well, but this cart is so small that it will be outgrown by the little linker.
  • The upside is that the construction is sound enough that it should survive multiple little linkers...
  • No console compartment. Maybe kids don't need one, maybe they do. I think that the enclosed compartment would be a nice touch. It's a place where treasures from the course could be hidden. You know, shiny rocks, provisional balls, small frogs, and so on.

ROVICJunior-2.jpgROVICJunior-3.jpgROVICJunior-4.jpgROVICJunior-5.jpg

Bonus Eye Candy!

Because you always need more photos...

Here are the two bags that we used for testing. The clubs and contents were transferred from bag to bag to keep the weight constant. 

bonus photo41.jpg

Here is the Wilson Staff Ionix cart bag on the Clicgear 3.5+

bonus photo31.jpg

And here is my favorite photo of the bunch. That's a standard 12oz beer can next to the Big Max Blade. That is how thin the cart folds up. It's astounding. (Track 7 Panic IPA is also delicious for the curious.)

bonus photo21.jpg

Thanks For Pushing Through

So that is a whole bunch of photos and information about the carts we tested. Obviously, the scoring was pretty tight with these carts, and that's a good thing. Tight scores equates to excellent choices in the marketplace. You may have some special needs (example: very small car) that elevates one cart above the others in your personal situation.

Overall though, only the BagBoy Tri-Swivel 2 earned the title of Golf's Most Wanted. :)

bonus photo51.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Now that was an awesome test...........I just wish I was in the market for a cart.  My club membership includes cart use so i don't need a pushcart.....after looking at thiese babies, I wish i was walking.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Nice review.  I would love a longevity component in a push cart review.  (No Idea how to accomplish this)  

Well done sir... 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Very nice review!  I love the pics.  I am trying different carts looking for ones that I can fit 2 in the trunk along with 2 cart bags.  Difficult with today's cars.  Trunks are getting smaller and I am NOT getting an SUV!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Very nice review!  I love the pics.  I am trying different carts looking for ones that I can fit 2 in the trunk along with 2 cart bags.  Difficult with today's cars.  Trunks are getting smaller and I am NOT getting an SUV!

You can always strap them to the roof....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

• 9 months later...

In other news, bag boy recalls their pushcart because the grooves are too deep.

LMAO!

Bah. A few years ago I thought about buying one for my dad. The courses at home charge 20 something dollars for a cart. Problem was I could never really get him out. The last time he walked he barely made it 9 holes before his knees and ankles were not having any of it. It's relegated him to carts. 

All courses around me include carts and discourage walking, so I have no use for it.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 2 years later...

Nice post but now its old. I was looking junior golf push cart for my son. he is 14 years old. I have read some post https://www.bestgolfcartsreviews.com/best-junior-golf-push-cart/ i can't able to determine which best my son. anyone help me? i was looking like below image.

Best-Junior-Golf-Push-Cart.jpg

Mark Jonson

I’m Mark, and I run a golf blog called https://www.bestgolfcartsreviews.com/. I am a professional writer with a lot of blogging experience. I want to give 100% quality information to every golfer out there. 

• SPY VIP

Nice post but now its old. I was looking junior golf push cart for my son. he is 14 years old. I have read some post https://www.bestgolfcartsreviews.com/best-junior-golf-push-cart/ i can't able to determine which best my son. anyone help me? i was looking like below image.

I've been using my Clicgear 3.5+ for years now. Favorite cart out there and would work for a junior golfer. Folds small, and is super easy to maneuver. High quality that will last multiple years.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

OK, you got me Mark. Just saw your signature. Well played I suppose...

Do you even have a 14 year old kid?

If you are here to try and promote your blog, just say so and don't try and be sneaky about it.

Also, if your blog has the "BestGolfCartReviews" then WTF do you need to ask questions and why are you trolling my old cart reviews?

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

So you are a professional writer as per your signature, specializing in cart reviews for a living and can't tell us which one is best for someone? Common man, how credible does that make your reviews?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

lol, like the guy who posted a "cool link he found" about golf fashion

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

• 4 months later...

My wife just got me the Caddytek EZ-Fold 3 Wheel Golf Push Cart from Amazon for like $120. looks very very similar to the Clicgear 3.5+. Looking forward to testing it out. Rated 4.3 stars by 623 people!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

• SPY VIP

My wife just got me the Caddytek EZ-Fold 3 Wheel Golf Push Cart from Amazon for like $120. looks very very similar to the Clicgear 3.5+. Looking forward to testing it out. Rated 4.3 stars by 623 people!

I hope it's awesome. Shoot some photos when you get it out on the course. I will say that my Clicgear is a workhorse, still going strong after years of abuse on the course :)

Volvo Intorqueo

I hope it's awesome. Shoot some photos when you get it out on the course. I will say that my Clicgear is a workhorse, still going strong after years of abuse on the course :)

I picked the same one up last month. Used it 3 times so far and I only have one complaint -- the foot brake is annoying. Wish it were a hand brake, but for $100 less than the Clicgear if I get 5 years out of it I'll be satisfied.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Archived