Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Something does not seem right at all

jpcgolf

So last friday, there was a scramble event for my school alumni, and parents.  They had six spots open so they let some kids from the golf team play in the event.   It was pretty fun.  Our group hit the ball well, but we did not putt well, so we shot seven under.  We had only three people in our group, so one of us got to hit an extra shot on every shot we hit.  Anyway, at the end of the round when the scores where coming in, I noticed something that did not seem right.  We only got one stroke in the net because we had a 5 (for some reason my coach did not hear me right when I told him I was a 3), a six, and a 12.  Another team had a 6, an 8, and a nine, and they got zero strokes.  I think it was because they had two very good golfers playing from 4500 yards because they were female.  The team that won shot 14 under, and they also got more strokes than almost everybody else.  They had two scratch golfers on their team, a decent player, and a high handicapper.  They had a coach, and a kid who just graduated, and he is playing in college.  Since it is a scramble, the two scratch golfers probably took over 85 percent of the shots, and it does not seem fair that just because they have one high handicapper, and a mid handicapper, that they should get three strokes.  With the formula that the tournament directors were using, if you had a team with 3 scratch golfers, and one 40 handicapper, you could probably get over five strokes and blow everyone away.  They probably added the handicaps up, and then divided them by some number, but this seems the wrong way to do it because you could have some very good players, and one really high handicapper, and win every time.

Does anyone know a good way to handicap a scramble so that it is fair?

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

No kidding. There's no fair way to apply handicaps over a group of people unless each group has similar caps for each individual within a few strokes, or you just take the lowest cap per group. Even then, that doesn't work. A scratch and a 20 paired together don't equal a 10. They have the potential to be lower than either one alone. Make that a foursome and the potential is even lower.

If you want to win a scramble... Take an eraser. That levels the field anyway. Lol, kidding

Handicaps should never be used.

My normal scramble foursome is made up of a scratch, a +2, myself at between 7 and 11, and a buddy that plays off a 14 but putts the eyes put of it. We generally shoot from -15 to -21 (lowest ever was a 47 when they had all kinds of hokey stuff like string, etc).

Biggest tip? Find a female or senior that bombs it. They play from the forward tees and it's a big advantage

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

1/10th combined handicap, think that's what we play over here. Seems to work ok....

Often have a rule to say each player must contribute at least 4 drives. Often adds some jeopardy come the last few holes!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

If you want to win a scramble... Take an eraser. That levels the field anyway. Lol, kidding

My normal scramble foursome is made up of a scratch, a +2, myself at between 7 and 11, and a buddy that plays off a 14 but putts the eyes put of it. We generally shoot from -15 to -21 (lowest ever was a 47 when they had all kinds of hokey stuff like string, etc).

Biggest tip? Find a female or senior that bombs it. They play from the forward tees and it's a big advantage

Absolutely to this one - If I'm playing in a scramble with something at stake I'm bringing my gal Jillian along with - I almost never have to take driver out of the bag - she hits it little north of 200 off the tee, throw in that most of the time she's between 70 and 80 yards up...........

That and the eraser work every time.

Just don't take Scrambles that seriously, they are normally used as fundraisers and what happens, happens. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Have never seen a scramble use handicaps, but I have seen lots of scrambles where you gotta wonder how that particular team shot 19 under and were a full 6 shots clear of the rest of the pack. 

Eraser indeed...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Definitely,  in the group ahead of us was this girl my age on the golf team who hits it 240 yards, and she was playing from 4500 yards.  she won the long drive because number 16 was a 286 yard par five for the women, and she almost drove it.  It was not fair.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

1/10th combined handicap, think that's what we play over here. Seems to work ok....

Often have a rule to say each player must contribute at least 4 drives. Often adds some jeopardy come the last few holes!

Not 100% on the handicap calculations but whenever I have played in these each member has to have a minimum number of drives taken during the round which can make things very interesting when you have a 34 handicapper teeing off alone on the final hole because its the last drive he needs to get and shanks it into the trees lol

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Yeah, that's not cool. Not a fan of those. I play to a 12 but have a buddy that's a one. I'm a good putter, and he's a long hitter. If we played in something like that it could be game over or someone with a big handicap and a scratch. 

There's something similar around here with minimum number of drives, which seems to make sense. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

In my mind, handicapped scrambles are only for fun, and shouldn't ever be for real competition.  Its just too hard to allocate strokes given all the variables.  That said, the USGA does have a suggestion for determining the handicap of a scramble team.  

http://www.usga.org/handicapfaq/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=20

Since a scramble isn't played in accordance with all the rules of golf, its not an official guideline, merely a suggestion.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm going with Rev and Barbajo.

#1. If you want to win, cheat.

#2. Just enjoy the fundraiser for what it is.

#3. Unless you read #1, you're not gonna win.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Played a scramble Monday for business reasons that I was told to not win......and we posted -15 and won.  Sure as heck thought someone would have cheated and posted -18 or better since it was a fairly short course, but we did play with two at scratch, a 1.2 and a 7.3.  I have come to the realization that it is just a day of golf out with some of my buddies and winning it is secondary.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Played a scramble Monday for business reasons that I was told to not win......and we posted -15 and won.  Sure as heck thought someone would have cheated and posted -18 or better since it was a fairly short course, but we did play with two at scratch, a 1.2 and a 7.3.  I have come to the realization that it is just a day of golf out with some of my buddies and winning it is secondary.

And that is why I don't play in scrambles anymore unless I want to donate to the cause.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived