TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hogan Irons

revkev

I'm sure that many of us are aware that SCOR has purchased the Ben Hogan name and line of irons - or something like that.

I was just asked to and completed a survey about golf clubs that was clearly geared towards the release of the Hogan brand.  I'm curious as to whether or not anyone knows what's going on and/or if anyone else got picked for the same survey.

I was never a Hogan player but at one time those irons were quite popular and quite good with a players and GI model on the market.  I've hit both, thought highly of each of them.  I'll be anxious to see what comes out of this.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I get a lot of survey requests, but haven't seen this one yet.  As far as Hogan goes - been a fan of both the clubs and the golfer for a long time - my backup set is a battle-test set of Apex Plus irons that I'll never get rid of.

Very much looking forward to what SCOR will do with the equipment.  The apparel line is already back, and I've read online that other companies have contracted with Perry Ellis so make accessories, shoes, etc.  

It's good to have Ben back...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Hogans used to be great.  Key words being, "used to".  Unless they are going to bring Ben Hogan back from the dead and have him design the clubs, its just a name and I couldnt care less.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I think they will be a welcome addition to the iron sets........especially if SCOR is behind them.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hogans used to be great.  Key words being, "used to".  Unless they are going to bring Ben Hogan back from the dead and have him design the clubs, its just a name and I couldnt care less.

Under any other circumstances I would agree with this statement but this is SCOR and they produce a great wedge and short iron even if they are a bit of a unknown to the general public.  They are committed to building traditional type clubs that are quite playable. 

I could see real potential here based on my role in the short iron test.  I rarely get excited about new releases from companies but I am about this one.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Under any other circumstances I would agree with this statement but this is SCOR and they produce a great wedge and short iron even if they are a bit of a unknown to the general public.  They are committed to building traditional type clubs that are quite playable. 

I could see real potential here based on my role in the short iron test.  I rarely get excited about new releases from companies but I am about this one.

And if you've ever read Terry from Scor's "Wedge Guy" blog, it's very clear he has a special respect for the Hogan brand, since he knew Mr. Hogan and was director of marketing for Hogan.  I think the brand is in the best possible hands...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Rev, I'll be happy to help in any way I can.  I used to play Hogan's somewhat and I just bought a new old stock Hogan 6004 lob wedge after a buddy showed me his.  Very heavy traditional head that had a ready made heel and toe grind.  Fantastic wedge with a lot of zip.

I participated in a VERY heated debate on another site about what the new Hogan should be if it wanted to succeed.  There were lots of diametrically opposed opinions on the subject, all of which were confused by the annoucement of the "fake" Hogans, the "953" forged blade irons being made in the old Ft. Worth factory but which DON'T have the rights to Hogan name.

Some folks thought they should release only a forged blade set, others (including myself) thought they should go something more along the lines of what Hopkins is doing that transitioned into a forged scoring club at the lofted end, like what they've already proved they can do well.   There is a bigger market of old duffers who fondly remember the quality of the name, but who can't game forged blade 4 thru 7 irons.

It's tricky and in this current horrible equipment market Scor will have to tread carefully if they don't want to fail with this experiment.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Rev, I'll be happy to help in any way I can.  I used to play Hogan's somewhat and I just bought a new old stock Hogan 6004 lob wedge after a buddy showed me his.  Very heavy traditional head that had a ready made heel and toe grind.  Fantastic wedge with a lot of zip.

I participated in a VERY heated debate on another site about what the new Hogan should be if it wanted to succeed.  There were lots of diametrically opposed opinions on the subject, all of which were confused by the annoucement of the "fake" Hogans, the "953" forged blade irons being made in the old Ft. Worth factory but which DON'T have the rights to Hogan name.

Some folks thought they should release only a forged blade set, others (including myself) thought they should go something more along the lines of what Hopkins is doing that transitioned into a forged scoring club at the lofted end, like what they've already proved they can do well.   There is a bigger market of old duffers who fondly remember the quality of the name, but who can't game forged blade 4 thru 7 irons.

It's tricky and in this current horrible equipment market Scor will have to tread carefully if they don't want to fail with this experiment.

Yes to the progressive set, please SCOR yes, I'd have to look long and hard at that possibility. I played Ping Eye 2's and always secretly wished I were playing Hogans. Before the Pings I had Ram Tour grinds. I lost those to a car accident and went Ping but was always tempted by the Hogans.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The Hogan Apex Irons were a timeless classic design that felt like butter. You don't need to fix something that isn't broken. I would like to see SCOR just re-release the APEX line in 2015.

That won't happen unless Callaway sell the rights to the Apex name to the new company.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

They can look like apex and use one of the other names linked to hogan.

I'd love them to offer a blade, a muscle back and a players cavity and allow the customer choose the make up of the set as a matter of course.

Think I'm trusting SCOR to be honest to the brand name - unlike callaway.....

Made me go and get my 1950's irons out of the garage for a quick waggle, the grooves look fresh enough to use - the shaft and grip do not!

image.jpg

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Westy, you raise a very interesting possibility.  What about selling Hogans that could be assembled as a combo set with either progressive cavities at the 3 - 7 OR MB blades, with Scor-like forged MB's at the 8 - LW end like they already have with Scor?  

This would give the player a chance to build the set he wants, like some of Taylormade staffers are doing by combining the clubs they like from all the Tour Preferreds MB, MC and CB and wedge sets.   I could see this working and dovetailing nicely into Scor-Eidelon's existing philosophy of tailoring clubs one at a time.   I could easily see me building such a set.  Their current forged wedges are very easy to hit, no duffer needs be scared of them, but the low lofted clubs are the ones that get scary.

I know that Callayway kept the Apex and Edge brands, I don't know about the Radial or Director names.  Radials were a super low CG brand that also had fat, forgiving, bouncy soles.   Good for a more GI sort of club should they decide to produce one.

But in all honesty, I don't think they need to call them Directors or Radials.   Just put Ben Hogan and the emblem and they'll be fine.

Westy, you raise a very interesting possibility.  What about selling Hogans that could be assembled as a combo set with either progressive cavities at the 3 - 7 OR MB blades, with Scor-like forged MB's at the 8 - LW end like they already have with Scor?  

This would give the player a chance to build the set he wants, like some of Taylormade staffers are doing by combining the clubs they like from all the Tour Preferreds MB, MC and CB and wedge sets.   I could see this working and dovetailing nicely into Scor-Eidelon's existing philosophy of tailoring clubs one at a time.   I could easily see me building such a set.  Their current forged wedges are very easy to hit, no duffer needs be scared of them, but the low lofted clubs are the ones that get scary.

I know that Callayway kept the Apex and Edge brands, I don't know about the Radial or Director names.  Radials were a super low CG brand that also had fat, forgiving, bouncy soles.   Good for a more GI sort of club should they decide to produce one.

But in all honesty, I don't think they need to call them Directors or Radials.   Just put Ben Hogan and the emblem and they'll be fine.

Maybe they should just contact us. I like what I'm reading here.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

True but to me they will never be true Hogans because Mr. Hogan didnt design them.  I do agree though that SCOR will look after the Hogan brand much better than Callaway did.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Did Mr. Hogan design every club with his name on it?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

According to what I heard, and correct me somebody, Mr. Hogan did not get much involved in the design of clubs or the direction of the company from the AMF days onward.

According to what I heard, and correct me somebody, Mr. Hogan did not get much involved in the design of clubs or the direction of the company from the AMF days onward.

Not sure if that's true Mark - I'm no expert but from Dodson's biography of Hogan, he was still managing director of the company after AMF purchased it, and was still heavily involved until the Japanese firm bought the company and moved it out of Ft. Worth.  Spaulding eventually bought the company and released the new Apex series in the late 90's.  I think there's an old MGS blog on that story somewhere in the archives...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

For those who are curious about what Scor-Eidolon might do.  Look at this photo of my Ben Hogan 60 and my Scor 45.   Can you tell which is which?

scor hogan.jpg

I guess I'm saying that they're already halfway there and will treat the brand in a respectful manner.

For those who are curious about what Scor-Eidolon might do.  Look at this photo of my Ben Hogan 60 and my Scor 45.   Can you tell which is which?

attachicon.gifscor hogan.jpg

I guess I'm saying that they're already halfway there and will treat the brand in a respectful manner.

They already have a Hogan connection as well.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I can't think of any company, other than SCOR, that I would be excited about reviving the Hogan brand. My second set of irons were Hogans, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have kept them.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived