Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Winter is Coming

Yeah, I know, it's not even truly fall yet, but mid 50's temps this morning reminded me that, yes indeed, the offseason is fast approaching, and now is the time to start making plans and setting some offseason goals.

A lot of that starts with looking at where I am and where I have come from in the last season.

Looking Back

Last year going into the fall, I hit my lowest handicap number ever at a 15.5 index with the August 15 revision. Going into September, I decided to use the winter to select, replace and test wedges because I simply wasn't happy with how what I was playing was performing. Being in the south, I was lucky enough to be able to play off and on all winter.  Conditions were swampy most of the winter though, and the scores reflected it.  By the time spring rolled around, I had settled the bag setup, but my game was a mess, with my index having floated up a 19.9 by the end of February.

At the same time, during the winter I had let some of my fitness slip. During the prior two years I had been training hard for marathons in addition to golf, but my winter training really came apart.  I had no big races scheduled. I was not 'enjoying' the run, I never really have. Weight climbed, strength went down, flexibility waned, and it showed. Badly. I was slacking off.

As April rolled around, I was getting off the tee well, struggling with my long fairways, killing the middle irons, and wanting to commit myself for the mistakes on everything inside of 100 yards, including the putting. The game was a mess, and I could get through a round without some physical discomfort (back ache, knees, hips, etc). 

Then it started to come back together. I was riding and running again. Scores, discomfort going down, consistency going up. At the end of May, I made the slightly crazy decision to sign up for a triathlon at the end of June. So into the pool I went, to build swim endurance and strength. The impact of that on golf was enormous though, as I was suddenly swinging more relaxed but with longer results. To the point that by the end of July I was seeing 3w distances in the 240+ range.

So here I am, back at the end of September looking at the season and looking forward.  

With the 09/15 revision, I hit an personal best of 14.9, and based upon the trending numbers, that number will drop to a 14.2 on 10/01. In the last 10 rounds, there is not a single round over 90, and only 3 of them are over 85 on courses that are rated to 129 and 135. So I am feeling good about the game, but I know there is more improvement on the table, and I know where to find it.

Setting New Goals

My overall goal hasn't changed. I want to get the index into single digits. My ancillary goals should help with that. Next monday, I register for the race that will keep me working all winter on fitness. I mentioned that the swimming, running and riding made a real difference, so I am going all in.

I have retained a coach, and will be racing Ironman Chattanooga in 2015. How does this effect golf?  it means that maintaining and adding fitness all winter, particularly in the pool which has so dramatically impacted my swing power and accuracy will be part of the regimen. In addition, golf is cross training. Walking 18 holes is an excellent recovery workout.

Which brings me to the point of the whole post.

Golf truly is a sport. While we can play it at any fitness level, no matter what our level is, there are ways that fitness ties directly to our golf games.  Core body strength and flexibility directly impact our ability to play the game, but also to enjoy it pain free.

So what I want to know is, how are YOU going use the offseason to improve your fitness for next season?

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I have started going back to the gym. 8 have gained WAY too much weight since I started playing so while getting leaner I'll also be getting stronger.

I'm still taking lessons and work with my coach. Posture will be the main focus. Making sure I practice enough will be the biggest challenge. This past season has shown some flashes of greatness but nowhere near as consistent as I need to be. This winter will change that.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Realistically, probably not much.  I don't drink nearly as much in the winter as I do during golf season, that will help.  I also play hockey again in the winter which is a great workout.  This being MN though I can pretty much tell you exactly how it will go. 

I started this season as a 6.2, played a few good rounds right away and got to a 5.9 on the 6/1 and 6/15 revisions.  Then went through a month where I completely forgot how to swing a club and went up to a 7.0.  The past month my game has completely come around and I've shot some of the best scores of my career.  I'm now a 5.8 and trending to stay there next revision.

My prediction is I will hang up the clubs sometime late Oct or early Nov for the season.  Starting in late Jan, early Feb I'll hit the simulator a few times to get ready for the season.  Then next season will be a very similar story to this one and the past several.  I'll be ok, have a rough month, then hit my stride once the weather starts to get crappy and I can't enjoy it as much.  Golf is definitely not like riding a bike, every spring it's like learning your game all over again.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I hang my clubs up for the winter and other than maybe ice skating/playing hockey at the local rink, I dont expect to do much to improve my game.

For me, winter is a time to take a break from golf so that I dont get burnt out on it during the summer.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'm with Mr_Theoo, I'm back at the gym. Over the winter the goal is to produce some explosive strength and endurance as opposed to building up on size. I've developed a lovely "title belt" thanks to the summer beer that was consumed.

As for the golf itself, I'm going to sit back and assess each area of my game and put in some very specific range/putting green time based on what my assessment brings about. To add to that I'm going to focus on getting back to the basics- posture, grip, ball position, and basic drills to fine tune the swing.

Just writing this brings a tear to my eye knowing summer is over.

I'll put on an extra layer; maybe some rain pants and a warm hat. It's dry here so just cold. If it snows, we shovel the greens or blow it off with a leaf blower. Play six, go inside, get warm, repeat. Been doing it for years. The game is different on frozen ground.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I live in Arizona. Ive played when it hit 117 here. In winter it'll be perfect playing conditions. When I went to school in Mississippi, often the weather dictated how often I could play. The last winter was brutal, but two years ago was fine. In NJ it was the same thing, you played when you could and just tried to keep yourself from having to start from scratch.

This winter I'm just focusing on playing a bit more, and also working on trying to hit the ball higher.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I'm committing myself to using my garage range at least twice a week, just to try and groove/keep grooved a swing.

There is a course here that is open all year round, so there may be a possibility that I will get a couple of rounds in during the winter, depending on how cold it is.

I'm also looking at building my first set of irons and am trying to decide to keep the shafts I have and just change the heads or to go with graphite shafts...decisions, decisions.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

There's no off-season in Houston :D :D :D

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

No offseason in St. Pete either beyond the fact that it gets more expensive, more crowded and work for me is very tough much of the time from September until June.

I tend to play less and practice more in the winter season with my playing time coming when company is here - wink, wink, nod, nod to anyone who is reading this thread.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev, just keep the middle of May in mind :-)  I'll be organizing a game for a small group of people who will be visiting the area (Clearwater Beach Hilton to be exact). Probably about 8-10 of my favorite lawyers from around the country

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Rev, just keep the middle of May in mind :-)  I'll be organizing a game for a small group of people who will be visiting the area (Clearwater Beach Hilton to be exact). Probably about 8-10 of my favorite lawyers from around the country

I'd take them shark watching without a cage. :lol:

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

There's no off-season in Houston :D :D :D

Get back under the house!

No offseason in St. Pete either beyond the fact that it gets more expensive, more crowded and work for me is very tough much of the time from September until June.

I tend to play less and practice more in the winter season with my playing time coming when company is here - wink, wink, nod, nod to anyone who is reading this thread.

February is still on!

In the bag:

Bag: 

I'd take them shark watching without a cage. :lol:

Nah, these are the good guys (mostly because they've paid the bills that keep my lights on for the last 20 years)...

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

As with a few other here, my season is just about done for the year. I am hitting the gym hard right now, trying to get into better shape (besides round!). I want to hit the indoor range as much as I can this winter. Its about 125 yards long by 50 to 75 yards wide, with a lot of targets. I can really work on my short and mid game there. My goal for next season is to beat my 18 hole best of 88. I have hit that number several times this year, but just cant manage to beat it. Here hoping the off season goes as planned. 

I'm setup to practice my swing and use free weights over the winter in my "shop" and it looks like some folks I met this year at the country club I joined will be coming over to play a few rounds with my GC2 simulator.  I've got 5 courses, which I don't really use much practicing solo, but are fun when playing with friends.

I'm also going to schedule a bag fitting once the snow flies and the season is officially over, since my swing has changed after dislocating my left shoulder in June.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived