Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Post Ryder Cup Kilt Photos: Thoughts?

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

So Hunter Mahan posted this photo of Bubba and Ricky after the Ryder Cup.

Bypuh4NIcAMyp-I.jpg

Then this one of Rory circulated around this morning.

BytNUFWIUAAyEaF.jpg

Needless to say, the photos led to some passionate and opposite responses. Some appreciated that they needed to blow off steam after the stressful week, while others took it as an indication that they were never serious about the Ryder Cup in the first place. One person on twitter even went so far as to say it was disrespectful to those fans who sacrificed sleep to watch them play on TV. (hint: DVR's are amazing)

What do you think?

This may just be a silly couple of photos, but the passionate public responses indicate that something else may be going on.

• Is this an traditionalist vs nouveau riche issue?
  • Is this just an isolated incident or does it in fact reflect a problematic dichotomy present in the golf community?
  • Do we have a dysfunctional red v. blue situation in golf?
  • Is golf headed for gridlock, not because of equipment flood, but because of conflicting golfer ideologies?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Just looks like some young guys having fun with their social media fans to me.  The Rickie/Bubba picture may have been ill timed after the loss, but I don't know when the photo was actually taken so it's hard to comment on that.  Regardless I'm sure it was a stressful week and who are we to tell them how to blow off steam.

Rory on the other hand I'm sure had a fun and crazy night, after his singles domination and winning the cup I see no reason for him not to celebrate.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Good for them, have some fun after a tough week.  Shows good sportsmanship by both losers and winners.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Needless to say, the photos led to some passionate and opposite responses. Some appreciated that they needed to blow off steam after the stressful week, while others took it as an indication that they were never serious about the Ryder Cup in the first place. One person on twitter even went so far as to say it was disrespectful to those fans who sacrificed sleep to watch them play on TV. (hint: DVR's are amazing)

What do you think?

This may just be a silly couple of photos, but the passionate public responses indicate that something else may be going on.

• Is this an traditionalist vs nouveau riche issue?
  • Is this just an isolated incident or does it in fact reflect a problematic dichotomy present in the golf community?
  • Do we have a dysfunctional red v. blue situation in golf?
  • Is golf headed for gridlock, not because of equipment flood, but because of conflicting golfer ideologies?

What?! "...an indication that they were never serious about the Ryder Cup in the first place." ? How serious should it really have been taken? They're playing a game for crying out loud. Yes, there is a boatload of money involved, but that's a different issue altogether. Also, "... it was disrespectful to those fans who sacrificed sleep to watch them play on TV." OK, it was at this point that I started to think you were writing this tongue in cheek. At least I hoped so. 

BTW, this:

...was my favorite.

It saddens me to think that people actually took time out of their day to post negative tweets about those photos. Silly. I dislike Bubba a little less now, in fact.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

• SPY VIP

What?! "...an indication that they were never serious about the Ryder Cup in the first place." ? How serious should it really have been taken? They're playing a game for crying out loud. Yes, there is a boatload of money involved, but that's a different issue altogether. Also, "... it was disrespectful to those fans who sacrificed sleep to watch them play on TV." OK, it was at this point that I started to think you were writing this tongue in cheek. At least I hoped so. 

BTW, this:

...was my favorite.

It saddens me to think that people actually took time out of their day to post negative tweets about those photos. Silly. I dislike Bubba a little less now, in fact.

I wish that I made some of this stuff up. People were pissed, and are still pissed about the photo. Probably bent about wearing white after Labor Day as well.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'm rolling my eyes

I assure you the average golfer in the UK appreciates these fun photos - jealous they don't have beer guts like mine!

Think back to ryder cup celebrations in the past; they were very drunken but because of the absence of social media they were just treated as legendary shenanigans. And the best bit was that teams celebrated together - nice to hear that was the case on Sunday night.

I'd guess if the US had won any outcry would have been much reduced?

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I'm rolling my eyes

I assure you the average golfer in the UK appreciates these fun photos - jealous they don't have beer guts like mine!

Think back to ryder cup celebrations in the past; they were very drunken but because of the absence of social media they were just treated as legendary shenanigans. And the best bit was that teams celebrated together - nice to hear that was the case on Sunday night.

I'd guess if the US had won any outcry would have been much reduced?

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

It's a shame some people can't just enjoy it for what it was. There was some GREAT golf played over the weekend. Granted most of it was played by the native European players, but who cares? I say "native" because many of the players are neighbors in Florida now, anyway.

As a side note, I've always thought the "US vs. The World" sort of competition always sounded a bit arrogant on the part of the US.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Nah not arrogant, it's really about the two biggest tours competing - the US and Europe. The fact that these days many Europeans play in the States is no doubt helping the European success.

I was there for days 1 and 2 and I promise you I saw some amazing golf from both sides, it was closer than the score suggests. Mind you I saw some truly awful shots as well....the nerves hurt several players.

Pat Reed off the first tee on Saturday - Lord knows what happened but it was 150 yards behind everyone else! Chips duffed, thinned, putts missed from nowhere - it was both teams. That only happens when people really care and get tense.

I saw the passion the US team had and it was there, they tried hard and at times were dominating - it wouldn't have taken much for the U.S. team to fire and make it very very close. If they look at the selection process (picks were to early I think) and avoid injuries (and whatever Dustins been up to) then I see them winning next time round.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Archived