Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Problems with irons, need your opinions/advice!

mbrodeur86

Hey guys,

I am in the process of re-tooling my whole bag and need some help/ advice/ suggestions on irons.

Here's where I'm at:

Driver: Took out Taylormade R1 black and bought Nike Covert 2.0

Wedges: Took out Cleveland CG16 Black Pearls and bought Mizuno MP-R12 (50, 56 and 60 - looking for 64)

Still haven't changed my fairway wood (Callaway Razr X 3 wood 15 degree) or my Hybrid (Adams A12 OS 19 degree)

Putter: Odyssey Versa # 7 but looking to go Cleveland Classic 4.5 or Nike method mc01w

Balls: Going from Titleist prov1x to Bridgestone Tour B330

I just sold my Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons and I'm looking for a replacement. A few points to point out:

1 - Can't afford new

2 - I can't go out and hit anything because I am nowhere near anyone with a big club selection

3 - I am a 7.5 handicap (was 7 but a couple bad rounds killed that)

4 - Want to do more shot shaping.

5 - Swing speed around 105 mph

I've narrowed down my choices to 2 or 3 brands. Ping, Titleist and Nike. For Ping, I was looking at I20. I was able to hit the I25's earlier this spring at a golf demo and hit the i25's really well. Was thinking the i20 would be more in my budget but they still go for a bit of money.

For Titleist, everywhere I read, they recommend the ap2 for my skill level. At the same demo day, the rep for Titleist gave me the choice for which head I'd like to hit so I chose the ap2 and couldn't get them in the air! No clue why. When we put the ap1 head on, was really good. Was hitting a 6 iron about 180 carry. Would like to give the AP2 another chance (thinking it was a fluke) and my swing has changed since this spring (I can shot shape a little more now and my natural shot is now a draw where as before it was a fade or straight ball flight)

Nike, I'm not sure what exactly to look for since I am really not familiar with their irons and what goes with what handicap level so they are a long shot at best. There was no Nike reps at the demo day I went to this spring so again, long shot.

Any advice/ help/ suggestions please and thank you to all that reply.

Lou

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Not sure about your game or swing, but I play the AP2s and like them a lot.  I have the exact opposite problem that you have in that I hit them very high compared to my Adams MB2s but they work.  I would give them a shot and you should be able to pick up a set of the 710 or 712 for a pretty decent price.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I was hitting the i25's with no problem. Everything else I tired that day - no problem. I'm thinking it was a fluke. I literally could not get the ball up in the air and the rep never offered me any help or suggestions. I actually hit the i25's right before going to the Titleist tent. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

I would get fit somewhere and then take those recommendations and look for the clubs you want with as close to those specs as possible.

Easier to do with PING then the other two vendors because they sell a lot more custom clubs.

Chances are you will find the loft/lie combination you need fairly easily. If the shafts they fit you for are uncommon it becomes harder.

You can also send PINGs in to get them bent to the right lie if needed.

Try to get a close as possible to what the fitter recommended.

If they fit you at your demo day then half the battle is already done.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Really, any, "player's" iron is probably going to serve you well.  Since you said that you cant afford to buy new, normally Id say that you should see what you can find on Ebay but since you arent sure what you want, thats kind of a problem.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Unfortunately I was never fit by the tent reps. My burner's were standard and fit for me. I know this because I was fit at the Tmag one for the speedblades and those clubs are the same length and lie as the burner 2.0. I was hitting them dead straight, every shot and he said standard would be the right fit for me. 

I did the Ping "nflight" thing but even the Ping rep at the tent said that was merely a guess at best. I was hitting the Pings very good too as well as the ap1. Just the AP2 for odd reason...

Take a look at the Nike VRS FORGED,  you can get that set pretty cheap now....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I have played the Pings and had a set this year.  The one thing about the i series that stood out to me was the complete lack of distance with these irons.  I lost almost a full club. Accuracy was decent but not near where I would expect to lose that kind of distance.  I ended up with speedbladez and had the same accuracy but much better distance.

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

I would think you'd get better workability with the Pings than the Speedbladz though.  Is that what you're looking for?  The ability to work the ball?

I will give you an out of the box suggestion - Mizuno MP 53, MP 59 or 800 pros.  You should be able to pick anyone of those up used at a good price and they are great clubs for a good player.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yes, in a way, I'm by no means, what I consider a long ball hitter. I usually use my 9 iron from 150 and my driver carries about 250-260, I want feel, some distance, some work-ability.

The Nike VRS look a little "chunky" can someone confirm this? Just from a quick look, this is what I saw. 

I hit the speedblades at the demo day this spring and yes, they were very long and straight for me ( I hit a 5 iron with 1 bounce into the net at the 250 mark - granted, high wind in my back and a driving range that is in a hill). The thing I have trouble with the burners was trying to hook it around a tree (or a heavy draw) and it goes straight. I want to be able to hit cuts and draws when needed since my putting is horrible lol - need to get close to the pin.

I bought the Mizuno wedges strictly on the reviews and recommendations of people on this forum. Too many positive reviews to not at least try them. Would not hesitate to try them either. I was mainly looking at Ping (i20, i25 if I can afford them) and Titleist (ap1 or ap2 even though I had trouble with ap2)

The Nike VRS Forged are on the "Chunky" side..... I went to The VRS forged with 5.5 rifle shafts and managed to get my handicap down back down to 5.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Are they workable? From my understanding, chunkier are not as workable?

Another thing, How are Nike irons categorized? Which ones are for which handicaps? I'm only now starting to look into Nike golf equipment as they seem to really be making great stuff. 

The vrs forged are a little chunky but don't have as much offset as you'd see in an iron with similar looks

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I just bought Titleist AP2 710's with project x 5.5 flighted shafts in them. From what I read, these shafts help promote a higher launch in the long/ mid irons and lower in the short irons (which sounds good to me). What does everyone think? 

I played the 710 AP2 for a couple seasons....liked them a lot but ended up with Mizuno MP-52's in the bag right now...looking to upgrade to the MP-54's when the used prices come down a bit.  I've never been a fan of PX shafts, but my swing speed is is much slower than yours.  I think when you find the right shaft you'll like those heads just fine!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Would those shafts be good for me? I already demoed the AP2 and had a hard time getting them up so I'm hoping it was a shaft issue and from what I've read, the 5.5 flighted will help with that.

Archived