TESTERS WANTED! ×

Nemesis holes

Kor.A.Door

I would just call this "Holes" but Rev already took it, so we will call this "Nemesis holes" my nemesis hole is #9 at my home course, the last 8 rounds, I have 1 triple, 6 double, and 1 bogey, cannot get past this hole, yesterday, I went to 9 needing par for a decent 39, walked away with triple for 42. This hole kills me all the time.

Does anyone else have that "Nemesis Hole" that you play regualarly, and no matter what, it gets you most every time?

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I used to but they closed the course. It was number 2 on this 9 hole course I played. It was about a 400 yard par 4 with an elevated green. No matter what I tried I could never figured out how to play it.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Mine is the shortest hole on my home course.  #8. It's a downhill par 3 that's 155-165 (depending on tee placement).  It's got a creek that runs short in front (15 or so yards off the front edge) and goes down the left side of the green (it's probably 15-20 yards off the left edge).  The cartpath is up the hill from that and then woods.  Right is a line of trees as well and #4's fairway.  There is a pine tree at the back right of the green, probably 15 yards off the back right edge and the back of the green and the froghair and rough slope downhill as well.  There is no bailout unless you hit it way right into #4's fairway.  Problem for me is it plays much shorter than the listed distance and the wind is rarely not blowing (either in your face or with you, it's always blowing and helping or hurting).  And it always seems to play in between clubs for me regardless of tee placement.  I think I've birdied this hole twice, ever, and one of those two was a chip in and the other the closest I ever came to a hole in one that stopped against a pinecone that was on the green.  The creek must be feeding the roots as well as the green always seems to play softer than any others on the course (effects chipping as well) and there's not a flat spot on it.  If the pin is in the back, you better land it short around the middle of the green and hope you 2 putt because it's brutal hitting a putt long in the back half of the green as you usually end up off the green chipping.  You can't miss left (which is my miss when trying to let off of a club when I am between clubs).  I usually try to hit a club shorter and hit it hard as I don't miss as frequently doing that vs letting off a club trying to play the longer club.  On this hole, par feels like birdie to me and more than 50% of the time I drop a stroke here.  And it's the absolute shortest hole on the course.  I'm hitting 9 iron or PW most of the time, sometimes a gap wedge or an 8 iron depending on the wind.  Recently, I've been trying a new shot that's left me with good results.  That shot?  Throwing it out right over the trees with a hard draw on it.  I'm drawing it into the green and if I don't draw it enough, the right side is the only miss where you can possibly salvage a par with a good chip and a putt.  But my par % isn't up much on this hole.  I've pretty much forgotten about birdie here though.  And I've been playing this course since high school golf (as it was our home course) and I can only remember birding it 2 times in my life.  Sad, but it's the hole that I can count on dropping a stroke at half the time.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Nice thread!

Oddly it seems to change every season at my home course. This year it's been 12, long par 4 into the wind. Bogey isn't all that bad on this hole but I've made several doubles this season.

Last year it was 7 which is a short par 4 with water left and trees and a hazard right. It's tempting to bail right but you will make a bigger number if you hit it too far that way than hitting it in the water left.

I've also had it be 15, a medium length par 3 with a hedge right, hazard right and weird green.

I have a mental block about the approach on 16. You lay up off the tee to between 160 and 140 and then the fun starts. Uphill, green slopes severely from right to left with a weird grain. Missing right or long is a no-no.

Other than those holes my course is easy peesy :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Just thought of another one that gave me fits all season. It is a short par 3, plays no more than 160 yards but it's a very elevated tee box. It may be a 50 foot drop from the tee to the green. It's guarded by bunkers on each side of the green. And beyond that you have a heavy car trafficked road.

Every time I played it I would always come up short because I was afraid of hitting one into the street and causing an accident.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Great topic, Lefty.

I guess you could have called this just Nemesis.  That is if you are like RevKev and trying to get the shortest title award.

I could list holes 2, 3, 8, and 9 and 12, 13, 17 and 18.  Ha Ha.  When the course was redone over the past three of years it was specifically designed so that holes 8 and 9 and 17 and 18 were the hardest holes. Double bogies are much more prevalent than birdies.  Hole 18, when the wind is from the north is extremely difficult, but there is at least a bale out for that hole.  All these holes have a bale out if needed except one, number 9.  This is my nemesis hole.

This is the shortest hole on the course, and on the card it is listed as a 135 yard par 3 from the back tees. I remember when we were first talking about it thinking how simple is that.  "An extra birdie every round."  Could it possibly be a par 2?

And they started building the green, and it looked so huge.  The green is 30 yards wide and 35 yards deep.  Who can't hit that from 125-135?  Come on, it is a par 2.  NOT!

The green is an island, technically a peninsula. Peninsula, promontory, headlands, point, whatever you want to call it, it looks like an island from the tee box.

9 resized.jpg

I just realized that this is an old picture.  There is a new clubhouse and swimming pool behind this hole now, and there is no room to go long.  

Edit.  Here is a new pic I stole off the internet.

10458913_773163812723364_3727573735425843014_n.jpg

Does that look like an island to you? 

It does to me, and the addition of the club house makes going long a bad deal.  Would you rather be short of explain why you hit someone having lunch in the head.

IMG_0783.PNG

The water was low when these pics were taken.  The lake actually comes up to the boards around the side and it looks like number 17, TPC Sawgrass.

This is at the north end of the lake and winds here wreak havoc with the tee shot.and as you can see, the closest point of the green is no where near 30 yards wide.  The bunker for the most part is not a huge issue.  But the fact that the green has a bit of a crown in the middle means that low trajectory, low spin shot, will probably run off the left side.

I have hit sand wedge, and I have hit 5 iron and every club in between based on the wind.  I have also gone 4 weeks making pars or better 3 times a week, and I have gone 4 weeks making nothing better than a double bogey.

It is a easy hole, with big teeth.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Here's my nemesis hole.   It forced me to buy a special club JUST to play this hole!

nemesis.jpg

From the tee all you see is trees on all sides stopping at about 250 and no green.  You can't really even see the chute that leads up to the left where the green is hidden.   You cannot blast over the trees.   The only viable tee shot is an iron that you start out along the left tree line and fade it 230 to 240 to the right rough.  250 puts you in the trees again.  220 doesn't get you around the corner for a look at the uphill blind pin.  Wind is always in your face.  Even if you place the tee shot perfectly, you have a 160-170 yard uphill shot that you have make stop on the mesa like green.

Tough, tough hole.  Plays to a five for the ladies because they can't get around the corner off the tee and have to hit a little 50 yard position shot into the chute preparing for the third.

15 approach.jpg

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

The course that I played on Saturday had two holes that if I can manage a par on each of them it is going to be a good round.  Both holes are par 5s that take driver out of my hand and require a high cut (not in my wheel house) with a tee box that promotes a draw.  I think I would actually play the course a lot more often if it was not for those two holes....hate par 5s that take driver out of my hand to begin with and then add in the cut aspect and it can be an absolute disaster for me.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

The course that I played on Saturday had two holes that if I can manage a par on each of them it is going to be a good round.  Both holes are par 5s that take driver out of my hand and require a high cut (not in my wheel house) with a tee box that promotes a draw.  I think I would actually play the course a lot more often if it was not for those two holes....hate par 5s that take driver out of my hand to begin with and then add in the cut aspect and it can be an absolute disaster for me.

They make scotch for holes like that. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Mine is #8 on my home course. It is an all uphill par 3. It's the one hole on the course that almost always guarantees me a bogie... and sometimes worse. to make my disdain for this hole worse?...... I aced it on my birthday last year. Now I have to maintain a love/hate relationship with it! :rolleyes:

They make scotch for holes like that. :)

I need more than scotch for these holes.  On Saturday I made a nice par on the first after a very poor tee ball and lipped out a birdie putt on the second after nice wedge from the left trees to 20 feet.  I really did enjoy the post round beer after the grinding that took place during that round.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Number 9/18 at my course is a 165 to 175 par 3 on the front and 190 to 205 on the back par 3. It plays with the prevailing wind, but the green is tough to hit. Like all of our greens, it's sloped from back to front and too much spin always equals coming off the front unless you land the ball past the middle of the green.

If there is a north wind and the pin is on the front half of the green you had better be short of the green or lucky enough to have your ball stop below the hole.

Twice this year I've come to this hole two under and one par away from completing my goal for the year to shoot in the 60's for the first time. Both times I double bogied the hole to finish even.

I hate that hole. My scoring average on it isn't the worst out of the 18, but it is always the hole between me and finishing strong.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

• 2 weeks later...

Hands down I know which one. There's a par 60 executive course I learned to play on. Most holes are from 120-180... but there's one par 5 and I've never parred it. It's a double dog leg left... with two bunkers protecting the first dog leg... To clear them is 230.. but at 250... your OB. The fairway landing area is about 20X30 yards max in between them.

The second dogleg has a perfect bunker right in your line... about 130 in to the green. To top it off the green is 3 tiered and has several subtle breaks. I've three jacked it many times.

That hole bested me all the time... I wonder now that I play a draw if I could end up beating it.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

At my home course I've birdied every hole but one, the 12th. 450 yard par 4 uphill the hole way.

It has a couple of ancient tall trees short left, which seeing as I cant hit a draw for toffee completely scuppers me trying to hit a fade into it. And I can't even picture hitting a straight one into it with a long club!

Oh and the bunkers guarding short left and right don't help.

I know I should play it as a par 5, I tell myself to do that on the tee....if I leave myself 60 yards in I often make par. Go for the green and I make 6 nearly every time.

It's a mental weakness, but that hole is in my head, not on the tee but when I stand over my second shot (usually on the fairway) I just can't picture the best play.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I thought of this thread yesterday.  The course that we played has a real nemesis hole for me.  It's 375 with a creek down the right that cuts through the fairway at 255 off the tee.  It's right at the edge of my driver range but throw in the bunker that's 215 off the tee on the left and it becomes a real bugger especially down wind.  The creek makes driver out of the question but the bunker is right where the 3 wood goes which means that to play it properly I need to go 5 wood, 4 or 5 iron into a green that is not so big - in fact none of the greens on this course are very big.

I hate the hole and I don't like the way I have to play it.

So I got on the tee there yesterday and thought, I'm hitting it great, I'll just thread a three wood between the creek and the trap, hit 8 iron, make birdie and be done with it. 

Instead I smother hooked the 3 wood into the thick rough short and left of the bunker about 200 from the pin.  From that lie hitting it over the creek was going to be an issue and there was no way I was getting it on the green - best case scenario was front bunker.  But when I took my stance I was on a drainage grate!!!!!!!  So I got a very favorable drop in light rough and was able to hit a 5 wood to 20 feet, 2 putt and walk off with par where I had no business doing it.

Perhaps the nemesis part of that hole is over!!!!!!!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived