Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Game Changers of 2014 - Forum Discussion Thread

RoverRick

On the Blog side, MyGolfSpy would like you to participate in a survey about Game Changers of 2014.  You can click here and participate. It is just two questions.

Oh, I changed several clubs, and reshafted some older heads with newer shafts, but that was not my game changer.

I did have two game changers, one was the swing, and the other was the bag set up.

First, the swing.  I read where if you want more distance than you have to turn your lead shoulder completely behind the ball.  I have done this for years, however, recently I found that like most golf tips is crap by itself.

I now take less shoulder turn and am more upright with my swing and make better contact, thus getting the same distance but more accuracy and less effort.

Second, the bag set up.  I now carry Driver, 2 FM, 2 Hybrids, Bladed irons, for the most part, and 2 wedges.  I carried long irons because I can hit them, and the hybrid misses were always much worse than the irons, but the PXv shaft in some older heads made this combo work for me.  I dropped a wedge that I used maybe once a round and added a FM that I use 3 or 4 times a round.

This has allowed me to extend my game.  I was a 100 yard and in player, meaning that I had to get within 100 yards of the green to have any serious chance of finding the green.  Now I can not only reach from 220 out, but even hit the green from that distance.  Not all the time but more often than most of the guys I play with.  Last weekend, I think I was 4 for 10 during all the rounds between 200 and 220.  That is awesome.

Click over and take the survey and come back and talk about it here.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Similar story hear with two game changers for me this season. 

First was a small swing change that lead to great results.  I concentrated on a much smaller back swing.  In reality it's still probably a full swing, but it feels much shorter to me.  This lead to getting rid of the huge fade and now I hit straight or a small draw mostly.  I still get the double cross pull hook and occasionally balloon one to the right, but I'm much more consistent and a much better ball striker.

Second change was really looking at the clubs in my bag and realizing I should pay more attention to averages and misses than the times I pure a club.  I got rid of my 3w for a 15° hybrid, and replaced my 4i & 5i with 22° & 25° hybrids.  I'm much more consistent with them and go for real the distance I thought the previous clubs could go, but realistically didn't go more than 2 or 3 out of 10. 

I've still got a lot of work to do, but as of the last revision my handicap is the lowest it's ever been.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My game changer was adding two more SCOR wedges. I had SW and LW for the past year and they worked great, but I didn't even think about adding a GW and PW until I followed the SCOR forum testing by Rev and markb. Now after a month with them, I can't believe how much better approach shot are. Going to spring for the 9-iron replacement, and wish they had longer clubs too. Looking forward to trying out the new Ben Hogans. Until then, I am reshafting a set of Macgregor M685 with UST ProForce 95 graphites which are supposed to be a similar shaft to the SCOR Genius9 shaft that is in my wedges (according to SCOR). SCOR even sent tip trimming instructions to match my SCORs.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Scors. That's it, period, exclamation point. The only things that made any difference this year.

FG Tour ball was really good, but it is just equal to the ProV for half the money.

Biggest disappointment was every 2014 driver I've tried so far. They are simply no better than the class of 2013.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

For me, it was actually playing in our club championship for the first time this year. People kept telling me I should play but I didn't feel my game was ready to compete and was having too much fun playing for fun but this year, things changed. I felt pretty good and gave it a shot. It was just a complete different animal to what I'm used to. I was incredibly nervous and played like crap both days and finished last. I did, however, learn a lot about competitive golf. I'll be better next year....

As for equipment, I had gotten my handicap down to 7 but after the club championship, I felt that I couldn't get better with what I had. I really started to play poorly and could not break 80 anymore. I figured something drastic had to happen and I decided to sell ALL of my clubs and start fresh. Armed with reviews from this site, I set out and went after clubs that could get me to the next level. First round with them, I shoot a 79, hit 9 of 14 fairways and 10 greens. I have never hit so many of each. 

The funny thing was my putter. I struggled with my putter all season long. I had a YES! putter that the previous season was simply unstoppable. I sold it and bought an Odyssey Black series #1. I struggled with that. Tried to sell it, even give it away and couldn't so I kept it. So I figured getting a mallet would install some confidence in me. I bought a Versa #7 and struggled with that. Sold that but wasn't sure what to do. Went back to the Black #1 and started putting incredibly! Sometimes, things happen for a reason I guess lol. 

Oh, and I almost forgot - Playing in our summer league (Also a first for me) my partner and I (me playing close to my 7 handicap at the time and my partner who is also my boss and a 14-15 handicap) beat the team of the senior club champion (who had just won it the day before and is a 2-3 handicap) and his partner who is a 8 or 9 handicap. The guy who won the club championship is also the same guy who tried to crap on what my Dad had previously done (Dad won 9 club championships) and this guy is just overall a piece of work that hardly anybody likes at the club. Just your typical, bully golfer and we beat him. I nearly got my first hole in 1 against them too. Was awesome!

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Thanks for bringing this discussion in here RR!

This was a huge year for me golf wise.  I'm moving into my late 50's, my game has declined since I was sick two years ago and while I put up some good scores the past 2 seaons I had lost a good deal of consistency particularly on the ball striking side of things. 

The season got off to a crapy start with some terrible golf and a huge power outage.  I decided I would either quit playing (seriously) or take lessons.  Given that golf is my stress relief I opted for the lessons. 

Of course the results were not immediate and the first half of league play put me so far behind (I started the season as a 2 and made it up to a 9 by May) that I was never able to catch up just final getting out of last place in the A flight last week - at least I never dropped to the B flight which was a goal of mine - to stay in that A flight.

After a time the lessons began to kick in and by mid summer I was hitting it acceptably.  When I played TPC with Jax I was able to get the ball around the course well enough to enjoy myself and I even broke 40 on the second 9 (we were reversed that day.)  A week or so later I played reasonable golf on a tough course with Mr. Theo and I've done nothing but improve since then.  My handicap is back down to 4 and I'm able to play to that with little difficulty at this point.

I took another lesson this past weekend and will take one at some point during the winter to make sure that I continue on track with the stuff that we wanted to work.

The lessons are the game changer for me although I did buy a good deal of new equipment - thank you Globalgolf!  I have a new driver that I hit very well and the surprise is that I'm more accurate with it than my old one.  I replaced my fairway woods and I get a higher ball flight with the new ones so more carry and I'm also longer off the tee with the 3 wood.

I have new irons and love them, easy to hit but ugly as sin.  Mr. Theo will be shocked to learn that I'm also capable of flighting them down at this point.  When we played I only had them for a few weeks and was unable to do that.

While I was a SCOR player already the test let me add an additional SCOR to my bag.  When I entered that contest the SCOR wedges were what intrigued me the most and even then I wished that I had won 3 of them.  I love those clubs and will consider the Hogans when they come out.  (Did I mentioned that I hit my Wilson's fine but they're ugly as sin?)

I also shifted from GPS to the Bushnell V4 for yardages - for me it's easier and faster.  I prefer the GPS for a new course but on courses I'm familiar with I'll take the Bushnell every time because it's to the target.

Overall I'm pleased with where I'm at.  I still have a bit more to go to get back to a 2 but I can see the pathway there and of course because I live in Florida the season is far from over.  Most of courses have finished their make over for the winter months and frankly I'm far enough South that some courses do nothing in regards to overseeding.

I'm hitting the range later, the putting green tomorrow and have another tournament Saturday.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well as I said in the survey, equipment wise it's been a Superstroke Fatso grip on my SHORT putter - first season away from a belly putter. Holed a lot of puts this year at times.

Best club I've bought - not the SLDR! It's good but the prize goes to the Tight Lies fairway, just great - really impressed by it.

Mentally: I played a bit more match play, mainly foursomes (take note US PGA - that's the format most leagues use in the UK) for my club in the city league. taking out players off much lower handicaps in a format where one bad shot punishes you (and your partner) has given me more confidence than anything else in the last few years.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I have struggled with my putting for a number of years.  I tried claw, belly, everything.  I happened to remember an article on this site about a gentleman by the name of Bruce Rearick. I found the article and looked him up.   He happened to be less than an hour away from me.  I spent 2 of the best hours I have ever spent with a man who is very very passionate about what he does.  Some very simple changes have resulted in big gains on the green and a huge increase in confidence.  Heck, I even got his input to have a new putter made that will complement my stroke perfectly.  Might be the biggest game changer of my life when it comes to golf.  Wish I would have met him 15 years ago when I was grinding on the mini tours....

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

1) Changing from a D2 to D3 Titleist driver - not as off the deck as I thought!  The DCI Starship is out of the bag!

2) SCOR Wedges - I have said this in other threads, but it's like cheating as my mis hits are closer than they used to be.

3) Going back to a ProVx from ProV

I think it's time I go buy a new golf bag.  Adios.

driver -  Titleist 913D3 8.5 Diamana Black X 72g 
hybrid -  Adams IDEA Pro A7 17 degree
irons -   Ben Hogan 3-8 APEX FTX 
scoring clubs - SCOR4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
putter -  Odyssey Tour Black #2
ball -  Titleist ProV1x

Hey are both of you gents scratch for real? That's awesome!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm really thinking I need to get in on this Scor business!!

I'm really thinking I need to get in on this Scor business!!

You should. While I have the original Eidolon's, they are for mine, the best wedge on the market.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

As we all say here, SCORs are just better. You heard it here on the internet, and if it is on the internet, it must be true.

+ 1

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Made a couple of changes that helped this year --- bought a Cally X2Hot 2 Deep that 's been the go to cub off the tee (I couldn't hit the SLDR with any consistency whatsoever, sad to say).  Also, my irons got in my head and was able to find a great deal on some 4 year old Srixon Z-TX irons - was able to be more consistent with them as the season went on.  

All the Hack To Jack lessons  - thanks to awesome teaching pro Bryan Skavnak - also helped a ton.  

Looking forward to a new season trying out the Nike sticks -- after a round-and-a-half, so far, so good!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Are any of the guys who went on the TMag excursion still playing their SLDR?

I have to say that I love mine and would have never demo'd it let alone bought it if not for the MGS review. Oddly enough mine is a 12, stock shaft, I have the weight two slots towards fade and I hit nothing but medium high baby draws right down the middle all day long.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I have to say that I love mine and would have never demo'd it let alone bought it if not for the MGS review. Oddly enough mine is a 12, stock shaft, I have the weight two slots towards fade and I hit nothing but medium high baby draws right down the middle all day long.

It hasn't left my bag and I don't forsee it leaving unless something can out perform ig

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Mine is also still in the bag. My FWs hit with it are up from about 68% to 75%. My last time out to was 60° and I hit 11/14 at a 308 avg. I dot see it leaving my bag, but I do wanna try the new Nikes.

I haven't changed a thing since I've gotten it. The SLDR is by far my most consistent and reliable club. I've even been putting off re gripping it since I don't want to mess with the mojo, but the original is getting pretty slick so I think I'll have to.

Bottom line is the SLDR is not leaving the bag

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who loves his. Thanks guys!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who loves his. Thanks guys!

No problem, it's great having a driver that you have 100% confidence in

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

No problem, it's great having a driver that you have 100% confidence in

At least we have that going for us, now about those other 13 clubs. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I changed my whole bag because I keep growing out of all of my clubs, but I think the best change for me was going from super game improvement (jpx 825) to a players iron (mp 54).  I lost a club of distance, but I gained that back already in about 3 months because I am growing so fast.  They feel like butter, and are extremely accurate.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Archived