TESTERS WANTED! ×

What are the 3 Most Important...? (PLEASE REPOND)

• SPY VIP

1. DRIVERS - What do you think are the 3 most important launch monitor data points that determine the best fit for a golfer regarding a driver?  (Examples: Swing Speed, Tempo, Smash Factor, Launch, Angle of Attack, etc)

2. IRONS - What do you think are the 3 most important launch monitor data points that determine the best fit for a golfer regarding irons?

3. WEDGES - What do you think are the 3 most important launch monitor data points that determine the best fit for a golfer regarding wedges?

4. PUTTERS - What do you think are the 3 most important launch monitor data points that determine the best fit for a golfer regarding putters?

(copy and paste and fill your answers in your response)

* This is for a big project we are just starting to work on, so we would appreciate all your input if at all possible.

#TruthDigest

1, DRIVERS - What do you think are the 3 most important launch monitor data points that determine the best fit for a golfer regarding a driver?
1. Launch Angle
2. Spin rate
3. Swing speed

2. IRONS - What do you think are the 3 most important launch monitor data points that determine the best fit for a golfer regarding irons?
1. Carry Distance
2. Angle of Attack
3. Dispersion

3. WEDGES - What do you think are the 3 most important launch monitor data points that determine the best fit for a golfer regarding wedges?
1. Carry distance
2. Carry distance
3. Carry distance

4. PUTTERS - What do you think are the 3 most important launch monitor data points that determine the best fit for a golfer regarding putters?

1. Stroke type (slight arc, strong arc, straight)

2. Lie
3. Loft

I think the driver is the easiest club to fit. All drivers are relatively the same size and shape, so it's all about getting the best numbers. Irons are about what you can hit consistently and stand to look at; the numbers may tell you that you need super GI, but if you can't stand the way they look you'll never get results. Wedges for me are to cover a specific distance, so I will play a 54° with a regular flex shaft if it gives me the carry distance I'm looking for. I have never been fit for a putter, but after having 45 putts today (yes, sad, but true) I need to be. Having said that, if a fitter handed me an ugly mallet when I prefer a blade, I'd never be able to make it work.

45 putts!?!? We need to play for money!

Drivers

1. Shaft flex

2. Impact feel

3. Spin rate

Irons

1. Look

2. Impact feel

3. Consistent carry

Wedges

1. Bounce

2. Impact feel

3. Spin rate

Putter

1. Feel

2. Feel

3. Feel

I'm a big proponent of look and feel. Especially with the putter. No two putter strokes are the same, and none are more or less correct. Whatever it takes to get the ball in the hole. Period.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Driver

launch

spin rate

Consistency

Irons

Launch and descent angle

Carry distance

Consistency

Wedges

Launch angle

Spin

Descent angle

Putter

Distance control

Consistency

Roll

The biggest factor to me when I first start looking at clubs is does it give me confidence when I put it at address.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

These are just my opinions based on equipment I've tried and purchased. I would add in stuff like looks but since these are about launch monitor stats I'll keep those out of my top 3. 

Driver- I picked these 3 since launch angle and spin rate will help give me the distance I'm looking for and dispersion will keep me in the fairway.

1. Launch angle

2. Spin rate

3. Dispersion

Irons- For me, I want my iron shots to be tightly grouped since they are meant for getting to the hole. I want good gapping so I know what club to pick and under what circumstances without second guessing my equipment. I couldn't decide over spin rate or launch angle so I picked spin rate because I want my shots to stop where I want them to, not run off the green.

1. Dispersion

2. Carry distance/proper gapping

3. Spin rate

Wedges- Wedges need to have proper gapping for full swing and half shots so it's easier to pick the right club for the job. Spin rate is important to get the ball to stop where you need it. I picked dispersion for the last one since it's good to keep things tight on fuller shots.

1. Carry distance/proper gapping

2. Spin rate

3. dispersion

Putter- I play with what's comfortable so I picked these common three data points that are measured on putters. Stroke type to help with a putter model or type. Tempo for the weight and feel of a putter. And misses to help with picking alignment or shape.

1. Stroke type

2. tempo

3. misses

Some of these were hard to choose in some instances because I believe for some clubs that feel is more important than a launch monitor date point. For example, I would rather take an unfit, old putter that looks and feels good to me than a new, custom putter that doesn't feel comfortable or doesn't look right.

Well the answers are interesting so far. He asked for launch monitor data points and is getting answers like looks and feel.

For driver I think launch angle, spin and smash factor. Swing speed doesn't dictate shaft flex. What matters is what the ball is doing, and the smash factor will help select a shaft that feels right. If something is off with the feel, center strikes will be harder to come by.

Irons, I would say launch angle, spin and carry distance. Although dispersion can't be ignored of course.

Wedges, same as irons.

Putter, stroke, tempo and centered strike.

1. DRIVERS - What do you think are the 3 most important launch monitor data points that determine the best fit for a golfer regarding a driver?  (Examples: Swing Speed, Tempo, Smash Factor, Launch, Angle of Attack, etc)

1. Spin rate

2. Launch Angle

3. Smash Factor

1. Dispersion

2. Distance

3. doesn't matter after the first two

1. Dispersion

2. Distance

3. Backspin

Never been fitted for a putter, but I would imaging dispersion again being the top data point to look at.  Other than that I'm not really sure what data points to look at in a putter fitting.

This is a tough one to answer.  I feel like any fitting should be focused on dispersion and consistency, but I've only been fit for driver and irons before so wedges and putter are a bit of crap shoot.  However in golf it's all about what you can do repeatedly, not how far you can get one out of ten.  So dispersion and consistency should be tops of any fitting.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Well the answers are interesting so far. He asked for launch monitor data points and is getting answers like looks and feel.

I don't read good

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

My question is, Am I Comparing different clubs on the monitor, or am I Optimizing a single club?? 

I personally would look at different stats depending on the application.

(not using a LM to fit putters this week)

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I don't read good

I'm pretty sure the original post was modified AFTER we responded.  I don't remember seeing the launch monitor data request either.  Nonetheless, I'm editing my post to follow the rules.

FWIW though, if a fitter hands me a club that looks god awful I'm not even going to give a chance on the LM.

My question is, Am I Comparing different clubs on the monitor, or am I Optimizing a single club?? 

I personally would look at different stats depending on the application.

(not using a LM to fit putters this week)

Totally agree.  With that said...

From someone with probably a slower swing speed than most everyone else:

1. DRIVERS - What do you think are the 3 most important launch monitor data points that determine the best fit for a golfer regarding a driver?

1. Carry distance

2. Dispersion

3. Spin rate

1. Carry Distance

2. Dispersion

3. Spin rate

1. Carry distance

2. Dispersion

3. Spin rate

Never done a putter fit, so don't know for launch monitor, but to fit:
1. Dispersion

2. Length - to fit your stroke

3. Weight - what feels good.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1. DRIVERS - What do you think are the 3 most important launch monitor data points that determine the best fit for a golfer regarding a driver?

1. Distance from centerline
  2. Dispersion
  3. Distance

1. Distance from center
  2. Dispersion
  3. Carry distance

1. Carry distance.
  2. Spin
  3. Distance from center

1. consistency
  2. distance/speed control
  3. alignment issues

As you can see, my philosophy in golf is direction off the tee, and distance as you get closer.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I'm pretty sure the original post was modified AFTER we responded. I don't remember seeing the launch monitor data request either. Nonetheless, I'm editing my post to follow the rules.

FWIW though, if a fitter hands me a club that looks god awful I'm not even going to give a chance on the LM.

I edited mine as well. And I agree 100% if a club looks awful I'm not going to have any faith in it performing well.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Smash factor, spin, launch angle, carry distance ( I know that's 4, but I'm only using 2 later on, so it evens out  :o )

Smash factor, spin, carry distance

Spin and carry distance definitely - not sure if smash factor enters into it with wedges

Not sure any launch monitor info works here -- don't know enough about it to comment.  For me biggest thing with putters is length - 31-32 inches!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Not sure any launch monitor info works here -- don't know enough about it to comment. For me biggest thing with putters is length - 31-32 inches!

Totally agree about length!

My putter is 31 inches. Very hard to find.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Totally agree about length!

My putter is 31 inches. Very hard to find.

The old plumber in me get to come out of retirement with putters -- have one now that I want to cut down.  Will use my old tubing cutter, if I can find it in the tool bag.  It's been a while...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

1. DRIVERS - What do you think are the 3 most important launch monitor data points that determine the best fit for a golfer regarding a driver? (Examples: Swing Speed, Tempo, Smash Factor, Launch, Angle of Attack, etc)

1. Ball Speed

2. Spin Rate

3. Launch Angle

1. Carry Distance

2. Dispersion

3. Spin Rate

1. Carry Distance

2. Total Distance

3. Dispersion

1. Face Angle

2. Path

3. Spin

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Archived