Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Dave Buys a New Putter

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

title2.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a new putter.

“Dave picked up a new putter? You don't say. I bet that next you are going to tell me that the sun is hot and beer tastes delicious.”

That's a totally fair jab. I do have more than my share of putters in the garage. Hell, I have more than all of our shares put together. What can I say, I like putters. I tell my wife that collecting putters is better than collecting mistresses, but since she doesn't really have confidence in my mistress-collecting capabilities that argument falls flat. I should probably listen to her though, as we have been married for almost twenty years...

Anyway, back to the new putter. Why am I taking time away from rolling my new carbon steel concubine to chat with you?

Well, first of all, I think that many of you also share my affinity for the flatstick. I almost wrote sickness instead of affinity there, but I didn't want to assume that all of you putter lovers have made the transition to pathology like I have.

Regardless, the putter lover knows that there is nothing in the game of golf equipment like the diversity found with putters. We see large ones and small ones. Putters that are milled, and putters with inserts. Some designs are simple; others, fancy. Some putters live in bags for years; others only minutes.

Putterland is a land of a thousand shapes and hues, with more hanging toes than a plethora of podiatrists' practices.

Yet amidst all this variation, the putter lover still actually picks one to take to the course for play. We have our gamer, or to be more accurate, our stable of rotating gamers.

How did these putters make the cut? What path took the putter-gorging golfer to a place of putter singularity? Basically, how did you determine that a given putter is right for you?

That's the other reason for putting together this piece, to start a discussion of putter selection. I'll share my winding path that brought me to finally knowing what kind of putter I should play, and then I'd love to hear yours. Did you get fit? Did you inherit a putter from a friend or relative? Did you grab the one that was closest to the register when you bought your irons? Did you go with the cheapest, or the most expensive? Was the purchase researched, or impulsive? Or was it some, or all, of the above?

Perhaps you even finally got professionally fit for a putter. Egads man, that's madness talking!

Dave's Putter History

Don't worry, I am not going to recount the entire litany of putters that I have owned and played throughout the years. I don't want you to run out of your monthly data allotment reading this. Instead, I am going to highlight the putters that I believe made a difference in my quest toward finding the right gamer. Let's go back to the beginning.

df_rossie_1_large.jpg

My first real putter was an Odyssey Dual Force Rossie. I had a putter prior, I think it was made by True-Form, but the Odyssey was the one that opened the door to fine putter appreciation. At the time, I was a semi-annual golfer, playing a Nevada Bob's purchased set of True-Form irons that I got as a gift when I graduated college. Playing serious golf was not on the radar.

For some reason, my father-in-law gave me the Odyssey putter for Christmas one year. Again, I wasn't playing much golf, but I could immediately tell that this was a piece of equipment that was leaps and bounds beyond my usual gear. Later, when I got hooked by the golf virus, I bought thirteen shiny new clubs to play with, rounding out the lot with that Odyssey.

I believe that it was that Odyssey that put me in the initial mindset that I should play a face balanced putter. I wouldn't say that I forced my swing to fit the putter, but it was probably something like that. At the time, I would not have even imagined that there were such things as different putter swings. It was the putter that I had, and it was a nice one, so I used it.

Who's That Over There?

It wasn't long before I started noticing other putters in the shop. From that point on, it was over. Do obsessions start gradually, or do they embed urgently? I'm not really sure about the progression to putter-obsessed, but I do know that my obsession began with a Cleveland VP Milled #1.

vp1-milled_large.jpg

While I was waiting to pick something up at the golf shop, I wandered over to the putter corral and started rolling balls. I think that this was probably my most subjective putter rolling session ever as I at the time had no clue about the various brands. I just picked up and rolled the ones that caught my eye.

I really liked the feel of the Cleveland. It was so different from the Odyssey. I didn't know anything about milling, save the whole flour making thing. It felt different from my Odyssey and I liked the difference. A couple of reflective purchase justifications later and the putter was mine. I remember believing that the notch at the top would help me to aim better.

I'd like to tell you that the VP Milled and I had a long career together, but it was not to be. Putter-philia was in full gear already. You see, the Cleveland was not the real putter that I wanted to take home that day. That one was made by Mr. Scotty Cameron.

circa62_charmist_1_large.jpg

The putter that I really wanted was the Circa '62 Charcoal Mist No. 1. At the time, spending that much on a putter seemed an impossibility, so I settled for the Cleveland, it being about half the price of the Cameron. Bad move. After a few weeks of obsession and scheming, and a successful transaction on Craigslist, the Cameron was in the bag.

The Revolving Door

And so began the cycle of buy-flip-buy that characterized much of my putter situation for the years that followed. Occasionally, I'd find archival keepers, but more often than not, I'd just play putters for a while and move them along. I was hemorrhaging my fun money, but I was gradually learning what worked for me in a putter. Through trial and error, I learned:

·      I prefer moderate toe hang to accommodate my slight-arc stroke (via iPing)

·      I should play a putter that is 34.5” (via shop fitting)

·      I prefer the feel of milled metal to inserts (trial and error)

·      I aim better with a squared rear edge (custom Byron experiment)

·      I aim better with no sight line or dot (Edel fitting)

·      I should play a putter that is 2° flat (fitting at PING HQ) not 2° Up (prior PING fitting at a shop)

Needless to say, I spent a whole bunch of time and money searching for the right putter configuration. I searched on my own, and had a few fittings along the way. The Edel fitting was really more for alignment purposes, letting me know that my affinity for naked putters did actually result in putters that I aimed correctly. A shop fitting for a Ping Anser Milled putter took me completely in the wrong direction on lie angle, but the iPING app and my trip to PING HQ last spring used some hard evidence to match a putter to my swing.

Take-home lesson: Get fit. It will at least put you in the ballpark for the physical aspects of your putter. Feel and aesthetics can be worked out after you know what you should be rolling.

On to the New Stick

SuperBee-11.jpg

I have a couple of what I call my bucket list putters. These are the putters that I would like to own at some point. All of the classics are there. Circle T Cameron, GSS Byron, Damascus Machine, Edel Variloft, and a Bettinardi with a registry certificate.

For those of you who don't know. Bettinardi keeps a registry of their tour and custom putters, all of which getting an individual RJB#### number. They are very cool and very unique. If you haven't checked out the Bettinardi Putter Registry, please don't click this LINK until you have some spare time. You were warned.

SuperBee-20.jpg

Perhaps even better than the Bettinardi registry are the Bettinardi Tour retail sites. Here too you can find sweet, unique Bettinardi putters, but the difference with these is that these are for sale. It's like a museum with price tags.

Anyway, I was innocently surfing through tourstockputters.com, I came across a putter that I couldn't let slip past. Here's the text from that listing:

2014 Bettinardi Special Edition Orange Super Bee BBZERO DASS with a tour blast finish. HoneyComb face with custom flymilled hand anodized orange insert and plumbers neck. Super Bee logo and Bettinardi BBZERO DASS engraved on the sole. Super Bee logo engraved in the pock and Bettinardi on the neck. One of only a few Super Bees made completely naked with no site line or dot.

Naked, BBZERO, and orange. Look out PayPal balance...

SuperBee-03.jpg

Naked putters rarely show up anywhere. I had previously drooled over the Super Bee when they showed up at the Bettinardi 2014 Social. Didn't buy one though as the ones that I saw all had sight lines. Now I couldn't say, “That putter is really cool, but it has a line.”

No line got me on the line, but the milled insert set the hook. One of my archival putters is the Cameron Tel3 Newport LN. I love that putter, especially how it feels. That old, speckled-with-rust beauty still finds the bag a few times a year. It's a soft feel that I've not seen replicated in any more recent stick.

logo.jpg

So I sent an innocent “is it still available” email to Nick at tourstockputters.com and after a few more emails and a phone call, the putter was cut a bit, bent a bit, and on its way to my lair.

Playing with the Naked Super Bee

SuperBee-10.jpg

Thankfully I was able to get some rounds in with the little orange bee before punched greens and a not-the-stomach-flu surprise gallbladder-removal surgery took me out of the rotation for a bit. Here are some of my initial thoughts:

Specifications: Bettinardi Super Bee BBZERO DASS

·      Registry Number: RJB5983

·      Model: BB0

·      Year: 2014

·      Material: DASS

·      Finish: Tour Blast

·      Face Milling: HoneyComb

·      Dexterity: Right Handed

·      Neck Style: Plumber

·      Weight: 345

·      Offset: Full

·      Toe Hang: 1/2

Play Notes

The Super Bee and are a fine pair on the green. Low and behold I actually make putts with it. That is, of course, after I got over the nerves of playing with the most expensive golf thing I have ever purchased.

SuperBee-02.jpg

The naked alignment, toe hang, and flat lie angle fit my swing very well. Speed control is good, but not as good as it will be once I can log some more practice hours with it.

The feel off the face is in the neighborhood of that old Tel3, but at the same time quite different. Overall, it is a very soft feel. Not polymer-insert soft, but a long way from the usual DASS crispness. It's tough to think of a direct parallel to compare it to. The feel is very unique.

SuperBee-13.jpg

I can't wait to game this for the rest of the year, and the years to come. This was bought to be a gamer, not a collection piece. My plan is to have it in the bag whenever I'm not out testing another putter in my MGS capacity. I really think I have found the one!

But perhaps, it is only the one for the moment. Will the sickness continue?

Thanks for reading this and a huge thanks to Nick at tourstockputters.com. Keep an eye on the Contest section of the forum. We will have a little Bettinardi contest coming very soon. While you wait, head on over to Nick's site and check out the amazing metal. You can also find them on Twitter at @tourstockputter

Here are some more photos of the putter and also the cool matching towel, ball marker, and turf tool. You can also see the stock, though custom Pure grip, that I swapped out for another orange Bettinardi model.

Viva Orange!

SuperBee-04.jpg

SuperBee-09.jpg

SuperBee-05.jpg

SuperBee-08.jpg

SuperBee-04.jpg

SuperBee-06.jpg

SuperBee-07.jpg

SuperBee-01.jpg

SuperBee-19.jpg

SuperBee-14.jpg

SuperBee-16.jpg

SuperBee-15.jpg

new grip.jpg

SuperBee-17.jpg

SuperBee-18.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

That is one beautiful putter - I'm starting to have unnatural thoughts!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

Very nice putter! Well written article on the art of collecting putters it is a wonderful hobby to have. I was interviewed for an article on collecting putters that is coming out next month in Golf Digest.

That is super cool! Can't wait to read it.

Volvo Intorqueo

That is a beautiful putter, I'm scared to ask how much.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

That is a beautiful putter, I'm scared to ask how much.

If you have to ask...

Beautiful putter Dave, hope you have a long and happy life together!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

My first "real" putter was also the Dual Force Rossie. This is much prettier. But the big question is......can you make anything with it?

Things were going well in the "makes" department. I've high hopes for putting majesty once I get approved by the doc to play again.

Volvo Intorqueo

I hope you get to take it out again soon because it leaves me very sad to know that a putter so beautiful and so perfect is taking a break from the game ;) 

If you want to send it to me for safe keeping while you recover feel free. Otherwise, you have my best wishes for a speedy recovery from the surgery and a lasting recovery from the putter ho curse. 

Man, do I know how you feel lol. I too also have an unhealthy fetish with the elusive putter. Almost like a foot fetish...but not as creepy lol.

I like the milled face over insert

blade over mallet

34 seems right although I tend to grip down on it

340-345g and not a gram more or less seems to give me better distance control

no oversized grips - they annoy me. Like a simple grip

I'm using an Odyssey Black Series 1 milled putter at the moment. I like it...just not "in love" with it. I've been debating getting a Cleveland Classic since the reviews about them are really good and they won't get me shot by the wife if I do buy one but at the same time, I want something unique and that not many people around here would have. I was looking at the never compromise line like the gambler or portofino or even the dinero. I would still jump a Bettinardi or even a Cameron...or Rife.....ah geez......lol

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Archived