Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bad day or trend?

revkev

I mentioned this in another thread but will try a new thread rather than a thread jack.

I had a bad day on the course yesterday.  Now don't get me wrong, I shot a reasonable score, but ..... as the day wore on I was really falling into old, nasty habits that my lessons have corrected.  I'm tempted to go take a lesson now but I'm also at the time of the year where golf is limited, if I take a lesson I don't play this week.

I'm pretty sure I'll try to eek out a range session on Tuesday and if I hit it okay then chalk the bad swing day up to a variety of factors including a significant hang over.  If not, I'll skip playing friday and take a lesson instead.

Any thoughts?  How do you know when it's just a bad day or a trend that needs to be reversed?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I would say it's a bad trend if it goes throughout the whole bag and isn't fixable on the range.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Ah Rev, hit some more balls and play another round before fretting to much.

If your concentration is off, your mind is on other things (you've usually got a few things to think about I reckon) or your just plain tired youll more than likely go back to your common faults.

when I'm not there (concentration or energy) I drift back into highly frustrating putting problems that I know I'm doing but feel powerless to stop

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I mentioned this in another thread but will try a new thread rather than a thread jack.

I had a bad day on the course yesterday.  Now don't get me wrong, I shot a reasonable score, but ..... as the day wore on I was really falling into old, nasty habits that my lessons have corrected.  I'm tempted to go take a lesson now but I'm also at the time of the year where golf is limited, if I take a lesson I don't play this week.

I'm pretty sure I'll try to eek out a range session on Tuesday and if I hit it okay then chalk the bad swing day up to a variety of factors including a significant hang over.  If not, I'll skip playing friday and take a lesson instead.

Any thoughts?  How do you know when it's just a bad day or a trend that needs to be reversed?

LOL chalk it up to the hangover. It is tough to play with a hangover I am a expert on that trust me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Shake it off.   

I was playing purty well in the mid summer, and had a bunch of low rounds in a row.   Then I took a road trip to a little easy course I know well.  It has a couple of reachable fours and all par 5's reachable in two.  I was salivating at the thought of demolishing this little course -- then I shot a 90.   It shook me up and I doubted everything I'd done up to that point.  Fortunately, I couldn't back out of the more scheduled golf over the trip.   Next day, I shot an 81 on the hardest course in the state and then came home the third day and shot a 66.  Didn't really change anything all three days.  

Earlier this week I played 18 and was 2 under, birding both of the last two holes.   I finished quick and I thought my game was smoking, so I continued for another 9.   5 over on the third nine.

That's just friggin golf.  

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

If I'm playing a round poorly, consistently, I'll try to get to the range after the round, or before the next one to see if I can figure it out without pressure.  The worst thing for me is to let my "head" take over my swing while I'm playing!  

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'm going to chalk it up to the hangover - I probably won't be able to hit the range tomorrow because we have a serious weather front moving through.

I think that the combo of the body not working properly and the new glasses caused me to be out of balance.  Just doing some mirror work revealed that my stance was off as was my weight distribution at address.  I think I'll be fine.

It just freaked me out because I've been advancing so much that I hated going back to those bad habits.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

Bad day, that's all. It can turn around instantly as I proved last week

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Archived