Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Looking for help /advice on irons

mbrodeur86

Guys,

I need some help / advice / opinions.

I recently switched out EVERYTHING in my bag. From driver to putter, I felt I had hit a "plateau" with my old stuff and wanted to play clubs that would reflect my handicap a little more.

I got a great deal on some Titleist AP2 710's. While I love the feel of them, I often find myself needing something with a little more forgiveness. I'm still having problems with consistency and my ball striking has it's days.

I was practicing on a simulator (Getting ready for winter league play). I had my 5 iron in my hand and was hitting it 165-170. With my burner 2.0 my 5 iron was 185-190. I kept hitting it and eventually found my swing and was hitting it 190-195 and even cranked 2 at 201 and 203 yards. 

So I'm wondering - Do I stick it out with these irons or is there anything out there that compares or competes with the AP2 that would be a little more forgiving without having to buy a distance iron? I'm not partial to any brand as I'll play anything that works. By the way - fitting is not an option as there are no fitters near by.

Thanks for the replies. 

Lou

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I don't care how far you're hitting them. How wide are you hitting them?

I've met so many guys who sold their Burner 2.0 irons and want them back. Everyone lost distance.

Not sure what you should try. Maybe the X2 Hot Pro? But if you're getting those distances and hitting it straight - golf is hard, you don't have to make it harder.

I've met son many guys who sold their Burner 2.0 irons and want them back. Everyone lost distance.

Not sure what you should try. Maybe the X2 Hot Pro? But if you're getting those distances and hitting it straight - golf is hard, you don't have to make it harder.

Sound advice from across the sea!  If you like the Titleists, aren't the AP1's more forgiving?  And from what I could see they do seem to be lofted like distance irons.  If you hit the lottery, you might look at the Cally Apex irons...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I've hit everything you cite.   The Burner 2.0 were EXTREMELY long -- and known for their hot spots.   712 AP1's are a very good choice for more forgiving, but not as long.   The Speedblades/Rocketbladez are the more modern analog to the Burners.   About as long, more consistent, better feel.   For me the 714 AP1's had BETTER feel than my Speedblades and only about 5 yards shorter.   So there are two you can think on.  

Or maybe those new RSi1's that supposedly keep the SB distance with better consistency and feel?   I dunno.  I haven't hit them.

Don't be ashamed to play GI irons.   I'm a 2 and play them proudly cause they work, especially for the long sticks.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I've met so many guys who sold their Burner 2.0 irons and want them back. Everyone lost distance.

What he says!!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'm with Furu, all about dispersion (by the way that's not just width - that includes variance in how far they go, you have to be able to trust your yardage).

Unless your playing 7000 yard plus courses then if you've found an iron that is ok distance wise and you reliably hit greens with then no point changing. If dispersion is an issue then, yes you might want to look at what your playing (both head and shaft).

I hit my 5 iron a maximum of 170 these days, more like 165 most of the time. I know if I swapped to Speedblades or similar Id get more distance but I'm scared of dispersion becoming an issue.

my most important stat is always greens in reg, get this up above 12 or 13 and life gets pretty sweet. Get it up above 14 and things get really interesting.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

You may want to look at the shafts in the AP2s. It's possible that they're not a good fit for you.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Using "wide" was a reference that you guys don't understand. Sorry :) A Swedish comedian interviewed Patrick Sjoberg, famous high jumper. He wanted to know how wide he had jumped. Not interested in how high.

Blimey furu, your right we probably aren't going to get references to Swedish comedians - although I'm guessing Norwegians and Swedes have a pretty crazy sense of humour (if possibly a bit dark!)

Can't find a channel in the UK that doesn't seem to be showing one Norwegian crime drama or another - not a lot of comedy though.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

I'm not too concerned about distance as I am about forgiveness when I "mis-hit". I can hit these AP2's just as far, if not further than the burners (and no jacked up lofts either)

Believe me, I know the problem lies in the Indian here and not the arrow. I really like the look of the AP2's as I found that, sure, I hit the burners long but when I wanted to hit a draw or a fade around some trees or into a green, I couldn't. I wanted something that I could manipulate my shots with but at the same time, have the forgiveness that in case I don't hit it flush, I still get some reliable distance. My mis-hit seems geared mainly in the heel. I did a lot of research on what iron would be the next step up on the burners and the ap2's kept popping up as a recommended iron - so I went with them.  

Theo, the shafts are the Project X 5.5's. From what I could find about them, they would help me get the ball in the air better. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Here by hangs one of those moments - ive never found a truly workable iron that is really forgiving.

My Ping i20's are not that easy to work, can hit a cut but no chance with the draw.

Better players than me probably can work a ball both ways with a cavity back (all be it a players iron) but not me - last irons I could work both ways were the Bridgestone j36's - not very forgiving though!

compromise.....

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

I feel like a total hypocrite with some of what I'm about to write but I know it's sound advice so hang in there.

If dispersion is a non-issue, stick with. But from what I'm reading dispersion is an issue in that you aren't getting what you want out of miss hits.

I'm a huge proponent of GI clubs. I used to fight with my pro about this, he wanted me in a players club and I'd say, "why?" He never gave me a satisfactory answer and I loved and respected him. So if you are unhappy with your dispersion or the clubs forgiveness just find something more forgiving and be prepared to sacrifice how the club looks, feels and its workability. For me that trade off brings more time on the practice green because I don't have to spend a bulk of my practice time keeping my iron game up to speed.

Just get a good GI set, make sure the lies are proper for you, lots of places have good static fitting ad vice and we've had several threads on how to self fit lies. Ditto on the length of the shaft and flex. You should have a good idea on those specs and grip type. Follow that template for your new irons and you're good to go. It's nice to get fit everytime but I've been fit enough to know that it's not going to change. I'm sure you know what works and can figure out from that what to have tweaked.

Noes where the hypocritical part comes, get something and stick with it for a couple of months regardless of what might happen. There will be a little adjustment period. (Learn from my two years of stupidity)

Good luck and let us know.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Here by hangs one of those moments - ive never found a truly workable iron that is really forgiving.

My Ping i20's are not that easy to work, can hit a cut but no chance with the draw.

Better players than me probably can work a ball both ways with a cavity back (all be it a players iron) but not me - last irons I could work both ways were the Bridgestone j36's - not very forgiving though!

compromise.....

What Rev said.  Good advice!

For westy...  Agree that the Ping i20's are not that easy to work, cuts are possible but not draws.  However, if you consistently hit them straight, then not much need to work it.  I am not a pro, so if a pin is tucked and a straight shot is risky, I'm going for the fat of the green and rely on putting.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You and me both kenny, but sometimes you need to draw one round a tree - never mind I don't get in much bother with my short and straight game!

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I might have to go back to GI. What would be the gi with the thinnest topline? If I can get a GI with a comaprable topline to the ap2, I might just bite on that.

You and me both kenny, but sometimes you need to draw one round a tree - never mind I don't get in much bother with my short and straight game!

Sounds like we have the same type of game.  Unless my game is way off, I don't get in too many trees.  Since I live in a desert, most courses nearby are links style without many trees.  I do carry a Macgregor VIP 5-iron that I use for trouble shots, mostly out of the desert where I don't want to nick my Pings.  I have been known to draw a shot around a tree and fades are easy with that club. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I too lost all ability to work my 7 and 5 around obstacles when I switched to GI Speedblades.  I'd set up the same and flip my hands the same and the damn thing went straight.    I recovered that somewhat when I switched to Scors with the 40, but I can't hit it very far with a hook or slice.

I think you should just go to the AP1's.  You'll have the smallest adjustment and they are so easy to hit.  The only thing I didn't like about them was a slightly plasticky looking back cavity badge.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Archived