Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Shopping memberships

GolfSpy Tim

I just started the process locally of shopping country club/golf club memberships. Anything from public unlimited play to uber private, I've emailed all of the courses within a 30 minute drive that offer anything.

I am guessing I'm just the odd cat out in this process as the emails I get back tend to be anything but warm.

Sure, I'm price shopping, but I'm also shopping an experience.

Not one of the replies has mentioned welcoming me out to the club to show me around.

Others haven't replied for 4-5 days now.

So, for those of you with experience - what should I expect? Should they be inviting me out? Should I be calling them each individually and asking to visit?

Once I'm there - what's up for negotiation? What hidden fees should I be aware of? quarterlies... ?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Just taken a part membership at my local public course; several members of the committee got in contact to welcome me, this years captain bought me a beer, hcp secretary has been in contact to discuss my handicap..... Stark contrast to the 'welcome' I got from the club I'm a member of (where I'm reducing my membership).

Your interviewing them, not the other way round - those days are gone. I can't speak for the money side (I don't know how it works over in the states) but I'm looking for golf to be fun and that includes interactions such as joining - so they make no effort, well that's easy then isn't it, I doubt they're are many courses these days that don't need new members.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I don't think I could be a member of an exclusive private club. For one, it's too expensive, and second, I like to play different courses as much as possible. That's one reason I like to travel for golf trips.

There is only one private club in my area and another that is semi-private. However, there are 4 nice public courses with memberships that give you a nice discount at the other courses and a few others that are about an hour away, like 50% off green fees. That makes it easy to join one club but play others at a reasonable price. See what the clubs have for reciprocal arrangements with other clubs in the area.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Here in MN they bend over backwards to invite you out to the club for a tour. That seems really odd they wouldn't do the same there.

One thing to ask about is assessments. If they decide to remodel the clubhouse or redo some greens, everyone pays. You should really know the financials and what the past assessments have been as well as scheduled future projects.

Posted Image

I am a member of a Public Club....and yes, they are very warm to me....both in the pro shop and the Pub.  In Florida, where there are too many distractions(attractions) to bid for your time, it is nice to go there and be catered to.

When I lived in Louisiana, the only club around was private, so I had to join to play golf.  We had 250 members with a 9 hole, 14 Tee layout.  It was our entire social network in the 1980's as the town only had about 5,000 people.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Have been a member of two public courses here in MN - so the main benefit was greens fees for the season.  Didn't receive any special status or treatment, although one club did have a "mixer" event at the start of the year for all the members, which was nice.  

I would think for a private club they'd want to reach out and recruit you, unless they have such a long list of applicants that it just doesn't matter.  Not great business practice, because someday that well might run dry.

Have a customer who's a member of Clint Eastwood's Tehama club in Monterrey - he said when the club first opened Clint personally reviewed all the membership applications and had final say.  Since the economic downturn, when there's an opening anyone with the cash can gain membership.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I guess we can stop wondering why courses are struggling. At least in your area it would appear that apathy has taken hold.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

• SPY VIP

Only one of 5 have responded, none have tried calling... Boggles my mind

Did you try Northridge? I think that they are looking for members more so than the other uber pricy ones.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Dave - Serrano has responded and told me I can be first on the wait list for their associate membership, but, I would have to join their social membership to be on the wait list. No invite to visit, just to sign up and pay money.

Just emailed her and asked if it was normal to not be invited and if I needed to request a visit.

Northridge gave me social membership info, but waiting on more info for golf.

You gonna join one with me?????

I guess you have unveiled the supply and demand curve in your area.

In my area the private clubs are advertising for new members and waiving buy-ins.   The publics all have annual passes that run about $700 to $900 a year and 20 round punch cards that run about $200.   The four very fine state owned courses of Soldier Hollow and Wasatch Mtn have a four course unlimited for $900 per year.   Who would do anything else?

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I guess you have unveiled the supply and demand curve in your area.

In my area the private clubs are advertising for new members and waiving buy-ins.   The publics all have annual passes that run about $700 to $900 a month and 20 round punch cards that run about $200.   The four very fine state owned courses of Soldier Hollow and Wasatch Mtn have a four course unlimited for $900 per year.   Who would do anything else?

Wow... prices like that, I'd sign up for multiple memberships!

Sounds weird to me and makes me question whether I am interested in being there. For me, it is one of my pet peeves (and there are not many) but if I send someone an email or phone call (and especially... if it is of a business nature) you would be wise to return it within a 24-48 hour period..

Around here any private club you are contacted, a meeting is set up, a tour of the facilities as well you are invited to play the course. Also, you are offered the chance to have a membership for the season for  around 5K + food etc to see if you like it and if you do go for a membership the 5k is applied.

If they didn't contact me, there would be no more contact. Manners are as important to me as business ethics; these places you've mentioned have failed on all fronts.

Wow... prices like that, I'd sign up for multiple memberships!

That's what I do.  I buy 3 20 round punch passes at three different courses.   That usually lasts me and gives me variety.   Once they get to know you, they often don't punch your card anyway.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

In Tampa, they have a discount card called the Paradise Card....it provides access to many courses at a discounted rate, but mostly on weekdays.  The card is $300/year.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived