Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Quick Look: Lamkin i-Line Putter Grips

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Lamkin iLine Putter Grip-02.jpg

Website: http://www.lamkingrips.com/putter-golf-grips/i-line

Winter is Here, Get a Grip

Though the calendar says that winter is still weeks away, I know that some of you Northerners have already shut golf down for the year. While I don't have much experience with the snow stuff, I do have first hand experience with the lameness of not playing golf.

I don't know if you are like me, but when I'm not getting to play with my golf gear, I think about buying new gear and about how I can mess with my current stuff. It's a bit ironic that not playing golf actually increases golf expenditures. Just last week, I had to pull my hand away from the mouse twice, fighting off driver purchases that I didn't need, but really wanted.

I avoid the big equipment purchases in winter, but not the small ones. Winter is my season of tinkering. This is when I look at slight tweaks to my current stuff. One of the areas that gets a lot of attention, and alteration, is the grip on my putter.

Putter grip experimentation is a simple, and cheap, way to make some changes to the critical putting stick. Plus, when the weather outside is nasty, you can probably find some way to putt indoors. Maybe you even have a golf friendly basement. I have always wanted a golf friendly basement...

Lamkin iLine Putter Grip-03.jpg

Lamkin i-Line Putter Grips

I used the Lamkin i-Line club grips last summer during my 14° SLDR experiment. While the SLDR was not a great fit, the grips were excellent in the hands. Soft, tacky, and bright colored, just about everything I look for in a grip.

Needless to say, I was interested when Lamkin released the i-Line putter grips. I was definitely curious after playing the other i-Lines. It's interesting to see how regular grips are re-imagined into putter grips. Sometimes it works, sometimes, not so much.

Here are the i-Line specs from Lamkin, and I'll follow up with my impressions and a little something else to share.

Lamkin i-line grip angles.jpg

Grip Features

• Unique feeling thermoplastic material
  • Best-selling Crossline surface pattern
  • Tacky material and etched texture promote an ideal light-pressure grip
  • Traditional putter size and profile for maximum shot feedback
  • six colors
  • 0.058 core
  • 61 grams

Playing the Lamkin i-Line Putter Grip

Color

OK, so some of you don't immediately think colors when you think putter grips. Color may not be what I ultimately look at to make my decision, but it does get my attention. The i-Line grips come in five bright colors, and black. The colors are definitely bold, which is exactly what I look for in a grip.

Although it made the orange grip jealous, I went with the magenta grip for testing on the Bellum Winmore 707. Why not? Who else makes a magenta putter grip?

Lamkin iLine Putter Grip-10.jpg

Comfort and Play

The grip has a very hand-pleasing shape that seems to be a touch larger than a traditional standard grip. When I compare it to the Pure Grips standard, the i-Line is just a smidgen larger.

It has a nice flat top, with well rounded corners. The underside of the grip is pretty close to traditional pistol architecture. For me, it immediately felt comfortable and familiar.

Lamkin iLine Putter Grip-09.jpg

Texture and Feel

The texture on the i-Line is unique. The classic Lamkin Crossline pattern provides excellent traction, and again feels familiar to me having played Crosslines on my irons for a few seasons. That's not the unique part.

Lamkin says that the thermoplastic material is "unique feeling", and they are not kidding. It's different. It feels soft, but not squishy, again something that I found very comfortable.

We find the uniqueness in the texture of the plastic. The grip actually feels a touch waxy. Now waxy is not a descriptor that I ever want to hear with a putter grip, inspiring visions of putters slipping from hands. It's not slippery, just a touch, well, waxy. What's crazy is that it's a tacky waxy. I'll coin the term you are looking for...

The Lamkin i-Line putter grip is ta-xy.

Lamkin iLine Putter Grip-01.jpg

I guess it could also go the other way and be wa-cky but that's just silly. Regardless, somehow Lamkin has created a grip with a smooth texture, that is still tactilely stable, or ta-xy.

It really has a different feel to it. Personally, I like it, but I do see this as a point of contention for some. I'd counsel you to keep an open mind and roll a few with it before you truly decide.

You are now thinking, "That's great Dave, but how will I roll a few?" Luckily, I'm here to help. You see, Lamkin generously sent me some extras, and I am going to pass them along to you. I have two of each color, and all you need to do is to post below which color you would like me to send you. Naturally, there are a few rules to my generosity.

1. Post a comment below saying what color you would like. If you are one of the first two for a color, you get one.
  2. Continental USA addresses only. Shipping is coming out of my pocket on this one, not MGS's.
  3. Only one grip per person.
  4. I'll update the available colors at the end of each day.
  5. You must actually try the grip and report back on how you like it. You just post your thoughts, and maybe a photo in this thread. Nothing too tough there.

That seems simple enough. So let me know what color you would like. When you see your name listed below, shoot me a PM with your shipping info and get the grips in the mail pronto. Can't wait to hear what you all think as well.

Grips Available:

Magenta: Dean D & fozcycle

Orange: PGA_09 & 1 more available

Lime: zerostate & 1 more available

Yellow: MGoBlue100 & Jmikecpa

Black: Joezilla & 1 more available

Turquoise: Tophand576 & hckymeyer

Lamkin iLine Putter Grip-04.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Magenta? That's fuschia surely!

Are they doing any oversize versions? My one issue with superstokes is they aren't tacky enough.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Using Lamkin R.E,L. 3Gens

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Why not Turquiose.

I too, am a frequent golf grip changer. Looks like a great chance to try out a new option.

Thanks!

@KW_Johnston

Driver: Callaway XR

3 Wood: Nike Vrs

Hybrid: Adams Idea Super LS

Irons: Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal 4-GW. N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X

Wedge: 54 Callaway Forged

Wedge: 58 Bettinardi

Putter: Taylormade Ghost Black Indy

I've been thinking of trying this grip, I use the club grips on all of my clubs in orange. I usually use the Super Stroke 2.0

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I'll test out the other turquoise. Putting is one of the few things I can still do in the basement

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'd be happy to try any color you have available.  I have REL 3 Gens on all my clubs, and LOVE them!  Black or Yellow probably my preference.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

• SPY VIP

I'd be happy to try any color you have available.  I have REL 3 Gens on all my clubs, and LOVE them!  Black or Yellow probably my preference.

Got both colors still. Just let me know which one you want. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Let's do yellow.  Most likely less popular than black.

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Magenta it is - please - already have Iomic orange on my irons, lime green on my wedges, blue on my driver, white on my 3 wood and black on my hybrids. using Lamkin round with four wraps on my putter but ready to change. People ask all the time about my grips with all those colors and I always tell them about the "other" Lamkin line (this one) available locally and less expensive. Love to see your name in my mailbox.

Put one on my son's putter earlier this summer and he loves it.  Grip has held up well and the feel is fantastic.  I think that I am going to actually go with these on my full woods, irons and wedges for next season.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Me too......I have the Cobra Blue REL 3 Gens on all but my putter

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I will test out a yellow if it is still available. Just ordered 20 yellow I-lines for the rest of the clubs in the bag.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the yellow grip on one of my older Odyssey putters (Rossie II) for a couple weeks now.  I can't tell you that I'm that thrilled with it at this point.  The "waxy" feeling that GolfSpy Dave described feels slippery to me.  Admittedly, this is a limited sample size.  I've putted one 18-hole round (on a cold day) and fooled around inside the house and garage rolling putts.  I read somewhere about using "Formula 409" on these specific grips (irons) to increase the tacky feeling.  I'm going to give it a try.  I really like a tacky putter grip, as I'm consciously trying not to strangle the thing.  I'll keep working with this, and see if this grip and I can cohabitate.  I'll keep y'all posted...

I'll test out a black one on my Ketsch if it's still available.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Haven't had a chance to install it on a putter yet, but I thought I should drop by and give an initial impression.

I'd have to concur with the previous posts around tackiness.  It is tacky, but it could be more tacky.  When cold it feels downright slippery, but get it up to room temperature and it's not too bad.  It's tacky enough to hold on to, but probably not something I'd want for a full swing with a driver.  I'm really loving the shape though.  I've been putting with a Superstroke for the past season and I forgot how nice a flat front grip can feel.  It's a pretty sharp angle, almost a perfect U shape and sits nice in the hands and lets the thumbs rest comfortably on top.  My only real complaint so far is that I wish they offered it in a mid-size.  Only standard is available and if it was a little bigger I could see it giving the Superstroke a run for it's money.

I'll probably install it after Christmas and put it through it's paces.  Until then I'll leave with some thoughts from my 3yr old.  "I love these things because they make my fingers super long"

IMG_2308.JPG

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Always nice to have Lime with my Corona Extra.  I have a mainland address for such opportunties.  Thank you

Driver:  TM 2009 Burner, 10.5*, stock stiff

Fairway:  Adams XTD Ti 15*, Aldila Voodoo stiff

Hybrid:   Adams XTD Ti 19*, Ozik Matrix Red Tie stiff

Hybrid:  Adams XTD Ti 23*, Ozik Matrix Red Tie regular

Irons:  Cobra S3, 5-PW, Nippon NS Pro 1030H regular

Wedges:  MacGregor VIP V-foil, 48*-4*, 52*-6*, 56*-10*, 60*-2*

Putter:  TearDrop TD 42, 35", Tiffany blue leather stitch-back grip

Ball:  TM, Srixon

Bag:  Titleist stand bag, black with Campbell of Argyle headcovers

Shoes:  adidas Pure Motion and lucky purple socks

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dave for sending to my Honolulu address.  The material is very similar to that used by Star Grips.  I like the crossline surface vs. the pseudo-wrap of the Star's.  Also a similar feel to some Karakal grips, but I'm certain it will hold up better.  And the Lime is zesty; it's going on my tropically-pimped TearDrop TD 47.

Driver:  TM 2009 Burner, 10.5*, stock stiff

Fairway:  Adams XTD Ti 15*, Aldila Voodoo stiff

Hybrid:   Adams XTD Ti 19*, Ozik Matrix Red Tie stiff

Hybrid:  Adams XTD Ti 23*, Ozik Matrix Red Tie regular

Irons:  Cobra S3, 5-PW, Nippon NS Pro 1030H regular

Wedges:  MacGregor VIP V-foil, 48*-4*, 52*-6*, 56*-10*, 60*-2*

Putter:  TearDrop TD 42, 35", Tiffany blue leather stitch-back grip

Ball:  TM, Srixon

Bag:  Titleist stand bag, black with Campbell of Argyle headcovers

Shoes:  adidas Pure Motion and lucky purple socks

Archived