Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

What Makes an Iron "Good?"

GolfSpy Barbajo

Have a question, just because I'm curious and have this kind of time...

What makes an iron "good" in your opinion?

Is it forgiveness? Distance?  Feel?  Price (high or low)? Looks?

Favorite hobby is visiting golf stores and trying different irons - blades, cavity backs, distance irons -- and nothing feels like "junk" to me, but I definitely like some better than others -- usually a combination of feel and distance on the LM, even though I know distance isn't the be-all and end-all for irons.

What say you?  What makes for a good iron?  What are the best irons you've tried over the past year?  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

For me it is looks first and foremost...if I don't like the way it looks I really am not interested in the performance.  I generally prefer a smaller overall look and have tended to play blades for the last several years with the exception of the AP2s that I had in the bag for half of this past season.  I also do not like to look at numbers for the irons until I hit them on a range so I can judge the ball flight since this is hard to judge by hitting balls into a net and then looking at data.   When it comes to irons I am generally more of a looks type of guy in terms of I need to like how it looks behind the ball and then the ball flight needs also fit my eye.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Most of my shopping is done on the internet because of lack of any golf shop locally that would carry many different brands and selections. I also go by what I read on the net, people's own reviews, lots of which is done here (because this site is the best) ;) 

Anyways, when I find something that I think would benefit my game, I try to find pics at address to see what I would be looking down on. I don't care for something overly bulky but at the same time don't want it to be too thin. 

Most of what you will read here is true about feel. The AP2's I use have a great feel when struck well but they aren't forgiving enough on my mishits to justify making my game better (and let's face it, we all want to get better).

Personally, I look for a little bit of everything you mentioned and pray it all works out lol

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Different strokes for different folks, but lately my two biggest concerns are forgiveness and consistency.  All of those other considerations are still there, but if I'm overly penalized for not hitting it in a dime sized spot every time I'm never going to bag them.  Or if my history shows anything I'll bag them, just not for very long :)

My current favorite irons also happen to be the ones I'm bagging, the Speedblades.  They are forgiving, feel pretty decent, I like the look, I hit them well and my scores have come down while GIR have gone up.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Or if my history shows anything I'll bag them, just not for very long :)

Yup - I know that feeling!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Favorite hobby is visiting golf stores and trying different irons - blades, cavity backs, distance irons -- and nothing feels like "junk" to me, but I definitely like some better than others -- usually a combination of feel and distance on the LM, even though I know distance isn't the be-all and end-all for irons.

I love doing this too but lately I try to control myself and not hit irons because every time I do, no matter what club it is, a "hacker" switch turns on and I start shanking, topping, thinning, etc. almost every shot I hit. Plus I don't need new irons so maybe it's a sign telling me to not entertain the thought of new clubs.

I will go with looks first. If it does't look good to me at address, I will likely not even try it. Next, is feel. I like a nice pop off the club and they have to sound right. Playability comes in third here, because I just haven't found a huge difference in playability in the clubs that I try or use. They all seem pretty close. My swing and strike is the problem.

@KW_Johnston

Driver: Callaway XR

3 Wood: Nike Vrs

Hybrid: Adams Idea Super LS

Irons: Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal 4-GW. N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X

Wedge: 54 Callaway Forged

Wedge: 58 Bettinardi

Putter: Taylormade Ghost Black Indy

Looks, then performance for me. It has to look good for me to want to put it in the bag. Then performance, if it can't perform as well as what I currently have then there isn't a point in buying them.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I don't like a thick top-line, and other than that I don't really care what an iron looks like as long as it performs.  I have played super game improvement irons with large cavity backs and big soles, and these clubs work fine for me if all I want them for is to hit straight shots. I played blades way before I should have, but they gave me a feeling that I liked when I hit them well.  So, I went with the Ping i20's a few yeaers ago because they were easy to hit and I colud work them a little bit.  I would like a little more workability, which is what I am hoping for when the Hogans come out next spring.  If I can hit them like the SCORs, well I will have finally found my holy grail.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

First off I do not care about the brand period. It has to be eye appealing to me to begin with. Then I go with feel and workability. This may sound funny to some but when I was experimenting with some of the cavity backs I absolutely could not work the ball with them or control my distance with the short irons especially. One set I experimented with I hit the ball too straight with and had absolutely no distance control. I had no feel at all and feel is my game. The irons I have now have (see my profile) combine all the elements I like. I actually played with a friend of mine that I have not played with in a year or so and he remarked "have you hit your head or something? I would have thought you would be the last man in the world to have cavity backs in your bag" Yeah but they sit good and they are forged and they feel good and I can work them. But it is as I always said what ever floats your boat that's why they make different brands and styles of golf clubs

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Feel.  You hit it ball with the iron and the ball feels like it melted into the face. 

I hit a demo Callaway X-Forged 2009 six iron at a G-smith four years ago and had that experience.  That was it, love at first smash.  Six months later we got married.  Never thought I would have hooked up with a Callaway, but there you go.

We are still together, some days are better than others, but we never go to bed mad each other.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

We are still together, some days are better than others, but we never go to bed mad each other.

How much do I love this!?!?!!?!!!!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

For me it's totally about the combo of performance and value. I 'be never been a great iron player so give me something with forgiveness, consistent distance and a little workability that doesn't break the bank and I'm happy.

The problem is though that I sometimes, often, end up with irons that don't look the part for my handicap and then my eyes start roaming. I actually liked the looks of my Nicklaus irons because they were a progressive set and the short irons were smaller. I hit my Wilson's great but they look like shovels to me. Fortunately I'm on a tight budget ......But there is always hope for the new Hogans and perhaps they will have a nice trade in program.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ive had some beautiful irons - the TM TP Coin forged irons......oh my they were lovely. Couldn't hit them for toffee!

So now I'm more pragmatic, yes Id like them to be beautiful but I'd settle for not butt ugly and enjoyable to play; enter the ping i20's. Yep they aren't stunning but they aren't fugly.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

All of the above.  I would say that all irons today are, "good".  For me, an iron has to be somewhat of a bigger head to inspire confidence, a medium width sole so that it doesnt dig into the turf too much and has to have a minimum of offset.  My miss tends to be to the left, so offset isnt a good thing for me.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Looks and sound play a part, but I also have to like how an iron feels when I swing it. It is probably related to swingweight and the shaft that is in the iron. Some clubs just "feel" right to me when I actually swing them and that feel makes me swing a little better(i.e. let the club go at the bottom rather than savagely thrashing at the ball).

As far as sound goes, most make a completely acceptable noise, but once in a while an iron I want to like(JPX850 forged) will make a noise is too harsh/clacky for my taste.

Driver - XR16 Pro 10.5 Kuro Kage Black 60-S
Fairway wood - Taylormade Aeroburner mini (16*)

Tour Edge XCG7 7-wood 21*/XR16 7 wood
Hybrid - Adams Pro Mini 23*
Irons - Mizuno EZ forged 5-GW
Wedges - Mizuno JPX 54*
Bridgestone 60*

Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite South SIde

Archived