TESTERS WANTED! ×

Market Research - How Important is the Box When Buying Golf Balls?

GolfSpy Barbajo

Golf Ball Poll - Boxes  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is the box/packaging important when buying golf balls?

• Very important
    • Somewhat important
    • Doesn't matter
    • The box seems wasteful
    • Hate the box - all I do is throw them away anyway

Golf ball packaging isn't terribly innovative, and may in fact be rather wasteful.

Traditionally there's the two-piece box, and then each each sleeve is packaged separately within.  Nike has been selling their balls in a 1-piece box with a flap, with each sleeve separate.

Is this necessary?  Does it matter to you?

Do we need "sleeves?"  Do we need boxes?  Do boxes make storage at home easier?  Is it a convenience you'd pay for?  If, say, ProV's were sold by the dozen in a ZipLock bag for $5 less would that please you? Would you buy them?

With all the new small ball companies on the scene, does packaging matter, especially if ordering online?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I do hate the Nike box, but overall I don't care much. Seems like from a marketing standpoint, I am very surprised a company has not tried to "rethink" golf ball packaging. Waiting for the TM "Burner Box" or something crazy. The only thing really different I can think of is when Nike had the Vertical boxes for a few years. I actually liked those and played them for a long time. Maybe because of the box or not, but it was a factor.

@KW_Johnston

Driver: Callaway XR

3 Wood: Nike Vrs

Hybrid: Adams Idea Super LS

Irons: Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal 4-GW. N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X

Wedge: 54 Callaway Forged

Wedge: 58 Bettinardi

Putter: Taylormade Ghost Black Indy

If I could get a proline ball for 5 bucks a dozen cheaper I'd buy them in a brown paper bag and walk down the street with them like a drunk on sterno.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 balls sleeves make sense for displays and sales at the course, but when I'm buying a dozen online or at a store it just seems like wasted packaging that I throw out.  I think there is room for real innovation in packaging, but the big OEM's are probably afraid that if it doesn't fit in existing in-store displays they will be ignored.  

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

To me, no it doesn't matter.  There are two big pluses to having a box.  For display purposes on the shelf and when giving as a gift.  Merchandising a bunch of ziplock bags at retail would be a nightmare, so some sort of packing is required in that venue.  Selling online is a different beast though and I'd love it if you could get your ball of choice a few bucks cheaper without the packaging.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

For MGS golfers, it's not important at all.

For the average Joe Hack it is quite important.   Consider the lowly MOJO ball.   It's really just a crap ball aimed at the Top Flite, Intech, Wilson low end of the ball spectrum.   These are one piece balls that are barely above range balls in quality.  They cost less than 25 cents a piece to make.   But Nike splashes on some trippy packaging and some marketing and BAM, the Mojo sells in big numbers to the guys who just want a cheap ball so they can go play.   The packaging causes hands to reach left instead of right and come away with Mojos instead of Rock Flites. 

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

• SPY VIP

Wasteful or not, I think that the box is here to stay for a while. Think about how the shop displays are currently structured. A uniform box shape allows shops to build their monolithic displays. Comfortable consistency there.

Maybe we will see a bulk-foods type ball dispensing system in the future where you bring your own bag to collect your dozens. Select your grade and fill your sack. Would, of course, kill the visual marketing.

Perhaps that marketing then transitions into the reusable bags. There could be some real creative approaches to your personal ball bag, or ball sack if you will.

Place a golf company logo on the sack below and you are in business ;)

roosack.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Wasteful or not, I think that the box is here to stay for a while. Think about how the shop displays are currently structured. A uniform box shape allows shops to build their monolithic displays. Comfortable consistency there.

Maybe we will see a bulk-foods type ball dispensing system in the future where you bring your own bag to collect your dozens. Select your grade and fill your sack. Would, of course, kill the visual marketing.

Perhaps that marketing then transitions into the reusable bags. There could be some real creative approaches to your personal ball bag, or ball sack if you will.

attachicon.gifroosack.jpg

3Up Golf is already selling their golf balls in sacks with drawstrings.  Looks pretty cool...and they have red bags for the holiday gift with your name on the bags.

3upgolf.com

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Watch that roosack Dave, rub it and it turns into a set of luggage!  :lol:

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Funny thing is, We sell Logo overrun Pro V1's in Bulk here at the shop, and several players will shy away from them even at the significantly lower price. "Must be X-Outs..  No Box" I have heard this hundreds of times, even though the product is clearly labeled.  I think that there is some viability to bulk packaging, but there is a big hurdle to jump with consumer re-education..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

attachicon.gifroosack.jpg

Actually the reusable bag is a great idea - it would have tremendous appeal to ladies and anyone else who might be green minded.  I like it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The guys at 3Up Golf will also embroider your name on the bag as a keepsake....which is much better than printing it on the golf balls that you loose....LOL

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I agree with all that is said about the packaging.  I ordered a dozen of the 3UP balls for testing in cold weather (actually very good).  The pouch is a nice idea.  

However, it's wishful thinking if anyone thinks that they can get premium balls $5 cheaper (other than in logo overruns) by eliminating boxes.  A friend of mine was marketing a new product and got the packaging in China for pennies.  I suspect Titleist might be able to take $0.50 off a dozen if they marketed balls in shrink-wrap, but then they would lose the advertising and brand recognition (and probably a lot of sales).

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good info gang - this is an interesting question. Keep 'em coming...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I "buy 'em by the bag" from Lost Golf Balls" but I know there are a lot of folks that think there must be "something wrong" with them since they're sold so much cheaper.

The only packaging I didn't just toss when I opened it was the plastic sleeves that came with "Dimplet" golf balls (anybody remember them?) since I could carry them in my pocket.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I couldn't care less about the box. Just give me the balls in a mesh potato type bag and drop the price. I'm just fine with it!  As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a golf ball on the planet that is worth $45+ a dozen.

There isn't!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Nobody likes paying full price for ProV's, but Titleist doesn't charge 4 bucks a ball because they need to cover packaging costs -- they charge that much because they can.   The packaging has nothing to do with it and they'll never drop the price -- except right now to move out 2013 model to clear space for the 2015.   It'll jump right back up again after the new year, though.   if we want ProV's to drop, we gotta stop buying them.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Perfect case in point. Master Grip Tour C4. I have played these balls many times and they are in fact a PV1 beater. (or at least equal in quality and performance) They come in a thin box with MG art/logo printed on the outside. Inside you find 12 balls. No sleeves! Just 12 balls. And... at $19.99/dz. you'll be hard pressed to find a better ball. Take the challenge.

http://mggolf.com/balls.asp?ru=0

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Best deal I've gotten in a long time came in a brown box with no sleeves and that's the woot deal on the practice Lethals. Wished I'd have bought 12 dozen and gotten lucky and got the tripled order. If have bought all I could've gotten if I'd have knew they'd sell out as fast as they did. I got 6 dozen and have been scouring looking for more deals on them.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Perfect case in point. Master Grip Tour C4. I have played these balls many times and they are in fact a PV1 beater. (or at least equal in quality and performance) They come in a thin box with MG art/logo printed on the outside. Inside you find 12 balls. No sleeves! Just 12 balls. And... at $19.99/dz. you'll be hard pressed to find a better ball. Take the challenge.

http://mggolf.com/balls.asp?ru=0

I tried them as well Plaid, and they are great!

I tried them as well Plaid, and they are great!

I reviewed them on here a long time ago when the forum first started.  Still a good go-to winter ball for me.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Hi All

New to the forums here and love it!  Want to thank MyGolfSpy for starting this thread, great info and insight.  We have been asking the same poll question on our Facebook Page.  As a new small start up company, we have been using boxes to 'house' our product, however, we have been  offering polybags once in a while at a lower price point.   Being that we sell mostly online, the bag option to save a few bucks has been very popular, and our customers have been asking us to make it a regular option.   Yet, for gift giving purposes and the such, the box option is still something we  need to have as an option also.  Looking forward to more great feedback on this topic.

txs!

Kenny

and for the record, boxes don't matter to me at all, get thrown away immediately  :)

I reviewed them on here a long time ago when the forum first started.  Still a good go-to winter ball for me.

Just curious. Why only play them in the winter? I've never heard of golfers using seasonal golf balls before. Do you play the Pro V1 Sweat ball in the summer? Or the Pro V1 Pumpkin Spice ball in the fall? LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Just curious. Why only play them in the winter? I've never heard of golfers using seasonal golf balls before. Do you play the Pro V1 Sweat ball in the summer? Or the Pro V1 Pumpkin Spice ball in the fall? LOL

I play the Penta TP and now the Lethal most of the year. I play the MG in the winter because they're a softer ball and they're cheaper. And there are quite a few areas on my home course where if they're not blowing leaves 24-7, you can lose a ball dead center of the fairway. Why lose a $3-$4 ball when you can lose a $1-$2 ball. I've always went to a softer and cheaper ball in the winter for those two reasons. The softer ball plays harder in the winter and I maintain distance because I can compress it more fully than the already firm ball that gets harder. When I played ProV1's, I play the X most of the year and the ProV1 in the winter.

In The Bag

I also buy from a few online retailers.  (Logo overruns, X Outs, matters not)  When they get to the house, they come out of the box and into a ziplock and into the golf bag.  Much easier to handle than boxes and sleeves.  At least I'm a recycler...

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

• 5 months later...

I was cleaning out some of my crap a few weeks ago, and ran across this collector's item.  Now this is packaging!!  

Titleist1.jpg

Titleist2.jpg

Titleist3.jpg

Titleist4.jpg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Packaging doesn't much matter to me.  Most of the time I already know what I am going to buy.  I couldn't care less if they were in shrink wrap. 

Mini-rant alert:  The only thing I want out of the packaging is when I am comparing balls in the store what I want to see is facts about construction not a bunch of marketing crap.  Tell me what's its made from, not how much you say it spins or how you rate its feel versus your other balls.  I don't need a ball flight diagram or a grid rating the golf balls.  And I don't want to spend all day looking for the information within all the loose chatter.  If I cannot tell quickly that the ball has a urethane cover, it will not get considered for purchase. 

Just tell me what it is that I am holding in my hands.  You have roughly 10 seconds to do it - and I might be reading slow today.

Rant over.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Archived