TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sneak peek of the new Hopkins Blades

Mr_Theoo

Pretty nice looking, would love to give theses a try.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'd be interested for sure

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

Too much horsepower for this kid.

I'm glad that the wedges are showing up in some B&M locations so I can give them a shot before buying them.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I get the feeling they may be one-offs for Vijay (announced as a special edition) - but damn do they look good!!!

Not sure how many of these sets they'd sell, but they'd get some decent interest I think!

Interesting, but Vijay hasn't put them in the bag as of the PNC.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Did they buy the MP33 mold?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

They certainly pass the eyeball test. Nice looking clubs, would love to see how they perform. 

I'm excited to see how Hopkins continues to push forward. I work pretty closely with UPS and the impression I get from people throughout the entire company is they are VERY gung ho about their partnership with Hopkins. They seem fully behind Greg Hopkins and are big believers in their Operations partnership. 

Current Bag
Mizuno JPX-850 10.5 degree stock shaft, stiff
Srixon U45 2 iron stock shaft, stiff
Titleist 915H 3 and 4 hybrids. Aldila Rogue Black stiff
King Cobra Pro MB 5-p, DG  tour stiff
Titleist sm6 50, 54, 58
Mizuno MP T106

They certainly pass the eyeball test. Nice looking clubs, would love to see how they perform. 

I'm excited to see how Hopkins continues to push forward. I work pretty closely with UPS and the impression I get from people throughout the entire company is they are VERY gung ho about their partnership with Hopkins. They seem fully behind Greg Hopkins and are big believers in their Operations partnership. 

Interesting.  Other than shipping the clubs for discounted rates, how exactly do UPS and Hopkins "partner"?

Interesting. Other than shipping the clubs for discounted rates, how exactly do UPS and Hopkins "partner"?

Hopkins trained some UPS employees to build their wedges and now their irons it looks like.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Hopkins trained some UPS employees to build their wedges and now their irons it looks like.

I'm a little lost.  Is this a joke?   Are you saying that UPS fabricates Hopkins clubs?  Have I missed some article somewhere about revolutionary manufacturing techniques?

I'm a little lost. Is this a joke? Are you saying that UPS fabricates Hopkins clubs? Have I missed some article somewhere about revolutionary manufacturing techniques?

They don't fabricate as in make from scratch but they assemble the clubs and then ship them obviously

I'm a little lost.  Is this a joke?   Are you saying that UPS fabricates Hopkins clubs?  Have I missed some article somewhere about revolutionary manufacturing techniques?

Here you go Mark, here's the link to the Blog article:

http://www.mygolfspy.com/hopkins-golf-custom-wedges/

not a joke and, in my opinion, not necessarily a bad thing. The employees get fully trained, it's their only job with UPS, and everything is supposed to be built to order. Including paint fills and stamping.

People scoff at the idea of UPS employees building their clubs, but is it REALLY a poorer alternative to all the Taylormade and Callaway gear that comes with 'made in china' written all over it?

Current Bag
Mizuno JPX-850 10.5 degree stock shaft, stiff
Srixon U45 2 iron stock shaft, stiff
Titleist 915H 3 and 4 hybrids. Aldila Rogue Black stiff
King Cobra Pro MB 5-p, DG  tour stiff
Titleist sm6 50, 54, 58
Mizuno MP T106

Those irons do look fantastic. Now not trying to be the devil's advocate or being a smart arse but I wonder about custom fitting those irons. I guess they are no more expensive than a set of say new Apex's and I guess you could have your local fitter "tune " them for you. Wonder how many different shaft and grip options there will be with them? I still say as I did with the wedges I would have to see them and feel them in person before pulling the trigger. I guess if they are doing some retail the above options may be avaible

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I think you're right Stu - one of the big challenges for any of the smaller companies is getting the product in the hands of potential customers. The list of retail locations is still reasonably small at this stage (primarily across CA, WA, NC, SC, FL) but my guess is this is a good first step or test of the retail waters. Again, I don't think you'll see the blades anytime soon as they were a Special order for Vijay Singh, but keep making noise guys and if there's enough interest then you never know!

I'm actually really interested to see how their 3-piece surlyn ball goes at retail. Wondering how it'll be priced as it's really good price at the moment online ($22/doz). If they can keep it at something near that it could be a real winner in stores.

Getting custom fit for Hopkins is easy. Just stop one of their tour trucks. They're brown and shaped like a box.

These blades look good. Nothing wrong with them. But the modern blade is about the inside. Or what's under the pretty chrome finish. Weight distribution the get the sweet spot closer to center, away from the heel. There's probably nothing that's easier to make than a blade thart looks good. A play that plays well - that's harder to do. Why? Because not only top 10 in the world want to play blades in 2015. Joe from Des Moines with 13 hcp wants to play TP MB.

Archived