Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Need iron help (again!)

mbrodeur86

Guys,

Nobody hates making these threads more than me. I know it is so easy to say "just go get fit" but as I've said many times,no place to go get fit + no money = no chance!

So here I am. I play to a 7.5 handicap but as nice as that sounds, I think my ball striking is not where a 7.5 handicap should be. I believe now that I need more help.

I just sold my Titleist AP2's. I loved the feel of them when I can find the middle of the club. My tendency is to occasionally hit it fat which with these clubs is a huge loss in distance. I also find myself having to swing very hard at the ball to get what I consider good distance with them. I had Burner 2.0 and realize that those irons were distance freaks! I'd like something in between the Burner 2.0's and AP2's for distance. I believe I need an "in between" iron or "transitional"  player's iron and Game improvement iron.

The irons I'm currently looking at are:

Mizuno MP-53

Mizuno JPX-800 Pro

Touredge Exotics CU

Nike VRS Forged

Nike pro-combo

Things I like:

Forged feel but not fussy

Looking for a little thicker head in the 4,5,6 irons than the AP2 (it's a confidence thing more than anything. I can get the 3 iron airborne in this set)

Want good distance without having to swing out of my shoes lol. I could crank the 6 iron 195 with the ap2's but had to really swing too hard to do it (harder than I would like) 

Workable short irons that feel soft.

Little to no offset (tendency to hit big draws with the AP2's)

As you can tell, no new irons. I'm buying with the money I got from my AP2 sales.

Thanks for all advice/ recommendations. I'm also going to try to get SCOR wedges. I tend to hit my Mizuno's left and want to give them a try. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Maybe you should try 2nd Swings online fitting. They can consult with you to find the irons you need.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Had no clue they even offered online fitting?

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Had no clue they even offered online fitting?

Yep! Not sure if it cost anything but it's worth a shot instead of taking a blind shot again

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

FWIW, I tried MP53s once. They never felt good to me. They had X100 shafts and I was comparing them to a set of Callaway blades with X flex KBS Tours. I don't know how much was the heads and how much was the shafts that I didn't like, but I sold them pretty quick. I made $100 more than what I paid for them though, so that was an experiment that paid off.

Consider the TaylorMade SLDR irons.. These check all of the boxes that require, except forged feel in the long irons... 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I've seen a lot of great reviews on the Mizzy JPX lineup so I would lean towards the 800 Pro or 825 Pro.

One idea for you though. I know you can't go get fit, but why not order a few demo 6i's off eBay before buying a whole other set? Should be a pretty small investment and you can resell them again once you're done.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

While everyone here has a lot of experience with many of the irons on your list, the trouble is they aren't you. What feels good to us, may not feel good to you, and vice versa. It seems to me like you have to invest in a fitting somewhere. I know you said that there isn't any place close and no money, but chasing clubs to find the right one can be more expensive.

Don't know how far you have to go, but I drove 240 miles for my fitting. I wish I could say that it was as good as John's, but I can't. It was OK, but I would do his fitting in a heartbeat. The fitting experience is worth it.

I like hckymeyer's suggestion of getting the demo 6 irons. Finding the right ones with the right specs may take awhile. I wish you luck.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've played the Nike VRS forged this year and the Tour Edge CU last year, so I can add a little about those 2 at least.

Looks -  Both quite similar and the sole grind is the same with a relief cut into the leading edge to stop them from digging.

Feel - The TE CU sounded more dull and nice on center impact(sounds more forged than the Nike). The VRS forged were a bit livelier sounding when hit from the center. When hit far off center the Nike made a rather unpleasant noise to let you know about your misdeeds. Also of note, the Nike's are of a lighter swingweight(D1 as I recall) if you have any preference.

Performance - Distance was very similar between the 2 sets, lofts and lengths are within 1 degree and 1/4 inch. The Nike was quite forgiving of fat shots in that they really don't dig, but you definitely will be coming up short.TE CU were good here as well, but the Nike's seemed to stand out more in that regard. Out of the rough neither were a good as a smaller headed club, no real advantage.

Overall both very nice, if I had to pick one I would go Nike, especially buying used. The reason being you will likely need the lie adjusted and a forged club is more accepting of that adjustment than cast. I did have the TE CU get a kink in the 9 iron neck when the lie was adjusted which didn't happen with the Nike. Just my .02

Driver - XR16 Pro 10.5 Kuro Kage Black 60-S
Fairway wood - Taylormade Aeroburner mini (16*)

Tour Edge XCG7 7-wood 21*/XR16 7 wood
Hybrid - Adams Pro Mini 23*
Irons - Mizuno EZ forged 5-GW
Wedges - Mizuno JPX 54*
Bridgestone 60*

Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite South SIde

I had in mind the exact same thing as Mmmmmbuddy -- SLDR irons, which should be cheap now that they are obsolete, under $450 on ebay new.   Very good feel, very long, not as erratic as the Burners.   I didn't think that any of the irons you mentioned were distance kings, in fact they tend towards feel/players irons even more than the AP2's. 

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

duplicate entry deleted

• SPY VIP

One idea for you though. I know you can't go get fit, but why not order a few demo 6i's off eBay before buying a whole other set? Should be a pretty small investment and you can resell them again once you're done.

That is a great idea with the 6i. We should put together a pay it forward pool of test irons like that. I may have a couple that I could pass along. I also buy and extra 6 or 7 irons once I figure out my play set. That one stays in the car for unexpected range sessions. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

That is a great idea with the 6i. We should put together a pay it forward pool of test irons like that. I may have a couple that I could pass along. I also buy and extra 6 or 7 irons once I figure out my play set. That one stays in the car for unexpected range sessions. :)

I've done this many times and I agree that it is a great way to thoroughly test an iron set without committing.   I take the 6 or 7 to my local executive course and I go to the target distance and hit multiple shots at real greens side by side with my gamer.   Costs about $35 - $50 and you get the money back when you sell the demo club again.

Consider the TaylorMade SLDR irons.. These check all of the boxes that require, except forged feel in the long irons... 

I have. I can't afford them. I'm going to switch out my wedges too and I've only got $250 to spend on irons (sucks to be poor)

I've seen a lot of great reviews on the Mizzy JPX lineup so I would lean towards the 800 Pro or 825 Pro.

I would and thought about this but the problem is that I play in a winter league here and need irons a.s.a.p. since I already sold the AP2's. 

While everyone here has a lot of experience with many of the irons on your list, the trouble is they aren't you. What feels good to us, may not feel good to you, and vice versa. It seems to me like you have to invest in a fitting somewhere. I know you said that there isn't any place close and no money, but chasing clubs to find the right one can be more expensive.

Don't know how far you have to go, but I drove 240 miles for my fitting. I wish I could say that it was as good as John's, but I can't. It was OK, but I would do his fitting in a heartbeat. The fitting experience is worth it.

I like hckymeyer's suggestion of getting the demo 6 irons. Finding the right ones with the right specs may take awhile. I wish you luck.

A fitting would imply that I would or could afford to buy new. I would not want to drive 4 1/2 hours to get fitted for clubs I clearly can't afford or waste a club fitter's time with the impression that I'm going there with the intention of buying. 

Realistically, I've done this many, many times. I've actually been fitted before for Cobra S3 MAX irons with graphite shafts when they came out. I played fairly well with them but I ended up selling them and getting the 2.0's (which weren't fitted) and actually played a whole lot better. 

I've played the Nike VRS forged this year and the Tour Edge CU last year, so I can add a little about those 2 at least.

Looks -  Both quite similar and the sole grind is the same with a relief cut into the leading edge to stop them from digging.

Feel - The TE CU sounded more dull and nice on center impact(sounds more forged than the Nike). The VRS forged were a bit livelier sounding when hit from the center. When hit far off center the Nike made a rather unpleasant noise to let you know about your misdeeds. Also of note, the Nike's are of a lighter swingweight(D1 as I recall) if you have any preference.

Performance - Distance was very similar between the 2 sets, lofts and lengths are within 1 degree and 1/4 inch. The Nike was quite forgiving of fat shots in that they really don't dig, but you definitely will be coming up short.TE CU were good here as well, but the Nike's seemed to stand out more in that regard. Out of the rough neither were a good as a smaller headed club, no real advantage.

Overall both very nice, if I had to pick one I would go Nike, especially buying used. The reason being you will likely need the lie adjusted and a forged club is more accepting of that adjustment than cast. I did have the TE CU get a kink in the 9 iron neck when the lie was adjusted which didn't happen with the Nike. Just my .02

I've turned into a TourEdge fanboy over the last few months and the CU irons seem right up my alley and inexpensive on ebay. I've got a big distance gap between my 19 degree hybrid (carry about 230 average) and my current 4 iron (205 average) that I had to put a 3 iron in and take out a wedge. I'd rather play with 3 wedges than 2 and remove the 3 iron

I have. I can't afford them. I'm going to switch out my wedges too and I've only got $250 to spend on irons (sucks to be poor)

SLDR irons can be had on eBay for under 300 in very good condition if you take the time to look.....  

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

SLDR irons can be had on eBay for under 300 in very good condition if you take the time to look.....  

Least expensive sldr irons I've found in stiff flex go for $400 with a buy it now at $525 :(

How about Taylormade Tour Preferred CB?

Least expensive sldr irons I've found in stiff flex go for $400 with a buy it now at $525 :(

I know that these are the wrong flex, but a set sold 3 days ago for $232.50..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-Sldr-Irons-With-Kbs-C-Taper-Tour-90-Regular-shafts-4-P-plus-Gap-NEW-/141503225402?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item20f23fde3a

Look and there are things to be had on the bay...

I've turned into a TourEdge fanboy over the last few months and the CU irons seem right up my alley and inexpensive on ebay. I've got a big distance gap between my 19 degree hybrid (carry about 230 average) and my current 4 iron (205 average) that I had to put a 3 iron in and take out a wedge. I'd rather play with 3 wedges than 2 and remove the 3 iron

Yeah, I've been into TE at times as well. I've had similar gapping issues in that end of the bag. I went to a 4 hybrid and only carry 5 iron on up. There are some decent hybrid options that that keep the ball flight reasonably low(if that is a concern) for $50-60 new this time of year

Driver - XR16 Pro 10.5 Kuro Kage Black 60-S
Fairway wood - Taylormade Aeroburner mini (16*)

Tour Edge XCG7 7-wood 21*/XR16 7 wood
Hybrid - Adams Pro Mini 23*
Irons - Mizuno EZ forged 5-GW
Wedges - Mizuno JPX 54*
Bridgestone 60*

Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite South SIde

A fitting would imply that I would or could afford to buy new. I would not want to drive 4 1/2 hours to get fitted for clubs I clearly can't afford or waste a club fitter's time with the impression that I'm going there with the intention of buying. 

Realistically, I've done this many, many times. I've actually been fitted before for Cobra S3 MAX irons with graphite shafts when they came out. I played fairly well with them but I ended up selling them and getting the 2.0's (which weren't fitted) and actually played a whole lot better. 

Getting a fitting by no means imply's you have to buy new, or even from the fitter.  Fitting costs money and that is the compensation a fitter gets for doing said fitting.  A lot times a fitter will reimburse a portion of the fitting fee if you order from them, but you are by no means obligated to do so.

Especially at this time of year it may be worth asking friends/family for a fitting for Christmas.  Just curious, but where about do you live?  (general area would be fine)  There may be closer options you aren't aware of.

All that said... I realize the difficulties in getting to a place where you can actually demo irons.  It's hard to make the time when it's not readily available.  But consider this, how much time have you spent buying/selling/testing/being frustrated with the path you are currently on?  How much of that could have been alleviated by spending a few hours driving somewhere you can hit clubs? 

Another option, since you are still playing do you have anybody at the club with the sticks you are wanting to try?  Could you hit a couple at the range with their clubs to try and get a feel?

Last question, do you do your own club work?  Sometimes you can get much better deals on irons with less desirable shafts in them, then pick up a set of shaft pulls on the cheap and put them together yourself.  Plus if you find an iron shaft you really like you can just keep pulling the shafts and try to keep costs down that way.  When I bought my Speedblades I already had a set of pulls I was going to put in them.  So I just bought the cheapest set I could find and didn't care what shafts came in them.  When they got here I pulled the shafts and sold them and got about $50 back.  It's a nice way to subsidize the cost of new irons.

Also if you can do your own club work, and you eventually do get a fitting, you can pretty much build any iron set to your specs yourself and not have to worry if they are going to work for you.  Then it's just about the feel and how they work.

Getting a fitting by no means imply's you have to buy new, or even from the fitter.  Fitting costs money and that is the compensation a fitter gets for doing said fitting.  A lot times a fitter will reimburse a portion of the fitting fee if you order from them, but you are by no means obligated to do so.

Especially at this time of year it may be worth asking friends/family for a fitting for Christmas.  Just curious, but where about do you live?  (general area would be fine)  There may be closer options you aren't aware of.

All that said... I realize the difficulties in getting to a place where you can actually demo irons.  It's hard to make the time when it's not readily available.  But consider this, how much time have you spent buying/selling/testing/being frustrated with the path you are currently on?  How much of that could have been alleviated by spending a few hours driving somewhere you can hit clubs? 

Another option, since you are still playing do you have anybody at the club with the sticks you are wanting to try?  Could you hit a couple at the range with their clubs to try and get a feel?

Last question, do you do your own club work?  Sometimes you can get much better deals on irons with less desirable shafts in them, then pick up a set of shaft pulls on the cheap and put them together yourself.  Plus if you find an iron shaft you really like you can just keep pulling the shafts and try to keep costs down that way.  When I bought my Speedblades I already had a set of pulls I was going to put in them.  So I just bought the cheapest set I could find and didn't care what shafts came in them.  When they got here I pulled the shafts and sold them and got about $50 back.  It's a nice way to subsidize the cost of new irons.

Also if you can do your own club work, and you eventually do get a fitting, you can pretty much build any iron set to your specs yourself and not have to worry if they are going to work for you.  Then it's just about the feel and how they work.

1. I live in New Brunswick, Canada and the closest place would probably be golftown in Moncton which is about 4- 4 1/2 hours away.

2. I've only had 1 set in my hands every time I've changed clubs. So what I do is sell the clubs and buy replacements with the money I've made. Other than the $500 I spent on new Cobra S3 max a few years ago, I haven't lost that much if at all.

3. The town I live in has about 5,000 people in it. Of the 5,000, we had about 250 members at the local golf club. Of that bunch, my brother and I are considered the younger guys - at 37 and 36. We play league on a simulator that just opened up in April. I don't have too much if any options to try someones clubs.

4. I unfortunately don't do any club work nor is there anybody around here with the equipment to do it lol - I guess my next step is move lol

4. I unfortunately don't do any club work nor is there anybody around here with the equipment to do it lol - I guess my next step is move lol

You could learn how to do your own club work. I built a set and it's a lot easier than you'd think.

You could learn how to do your own club work. I built a set and it's a lot easier than you'd think.

Agreed but that would mean, tools, time and money and on top of raising a child with Autism, I don't have much of either

Have any of you played the Taylormade Tour Preferred CB or the Callaway RAZR-X Tour irons?

I'll 2nd Theo's suggestion, learning to install grips and shaft up a set of irons is pretty damn easy.  From a tool perspective all you really need is a torch (assuming steel shafts) or a heat gun and a yard stick.

I know we've gotten a bit off topic here, but based on your original list I'll stick with my recommendation of the Mizzy 800/825 pro's.  But unless you really want to keep buying and selling you are going to need to change the way you are buying clubs.  It's basically a shot in the dark with a recommendation from an internet forum.  Nobody can really know if you will like them or not.

You mentioned a budget of $250, You can get a nice set of 800 Pro's for less than $200.  Should leave you some money left over to start looking at various 6/7 irons to demo on ebay so you can make an informed decision on the next set you end up switching to :)

Have any of you played the Taylormade Tour Preferred CB or the Callaway RAZR-X Tour irons?

I play the TP MCs and have tried the CBs. Pretty nice clubs

How about looking for a split set of the TM MC/MB irons from a few years ago? Not the current model.

I trialled the 6 iron of both a few years back and was really impressed, only went to the Ping i20's as dispersion was a bit better. Ok it's not up there with SLDR for me, but going to be much cheaper.

I'd say ping, but I get the feeling you'd reckon they were a bit big. Moving to the ping i20's made a big difference to me and the stock stiff shafts are cracking.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Archived