TESTERS WANTED! ×

New to Golf, New to MGS

Hi All!

My name is Justin, I'm a 33 year old, three-knee surgery basketball player shifting my competitive spirit into a new direction. I've dabbled over the last few years playing a couple rounds here and there, but have really increased my playing time over the last six months, combined with frequent range visits. I'm blessed to be in San Antonio where the golf season pretty much never ends (it was 37 degrees yesterday, but will be 63 on Saturday!).

I'm still figuring out the whole equipment game and have a lot to learn. Glad to have found this spot.

Can someone explain to me what the hell game improvement irons are and why I would or would not want them?

Thanks for having me!

-Justin

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Welcome to MGS.  Just returning back to San Antonio after spending the Holidays back home in Hawaii.  I heard the weather dropped the past couple of weeks.

As far as Game improvement iron are concerned,  I was a single digit Handicap prior to have ACDF surgery 8 weeks ago and game "Game Improvement" irons from time to time (Nike VRS Forged / ADAMS CB3's) .  I suggest getting a good used set, game them enough to better your game then consider moving into the player set relm....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Welcome to MGS.  Just returning back to San Antonio after spending the Holidays back home in Hawaii.  I heard the weather dropped the past couple of weeks.

As far as Game improvement iron are concerned,  I was a single digit Handicap prior to have ACDF surgery 8 weeks ago and game "Game Improvement" irons from time to time (Nike VRS Forged / ADAMS CB3's) .  I suggest getting a good used set, game them enough to better your game then consider moving into the player set relm....

I'm currently swinging TaylorMade rac LTs. I'm hitting them well other than the general skull or chunk as a result of inconsistent swing mechanics. I guess I'm struggling to understand what a GI club actually does for ball flight.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Welcome to the site!

Game improvement irons are just irons that should give more forgiveness on misfits. Bad swings usually aren't punished as much compared to a blade or players cavity back iron. My personal philosophy is to play the most forgiving iron you can stand to look down at. This game is already hard enough without adding difficulty through clubs

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Welcome, Justin. GI clubs are generally higher launching and much more forgiving. They are for the player that has inconsistent impact. They will not help with skulls and chunks. However, not all skulling and chunking can be poor mechanics. Poor fitting equipment can also cause that, say if you're 6'5 and using the same length clubs as me at 5'8. Don't hesitate to jump in anywhere and ask questions, we have a very knowledgeable and welcoming community.

Welcome, Justin. GI clubs are generally higher launching and much more forgiving. They are for the player that has inconsistent impact. They will not help with skulls and chunks. However, not all skulling and chunking can be poor mechanics. Poor fitting equipment can also cause that, say if you're 6'5 and using the same length clubs as me at 5'8. Don't hesitate to jump in anywhere and ask questions, we have a very knowledgeable and welcoming community.

Thanks Bones. Yeah, I'm 6'4. I'm sure the clubs I'm using weren't fitted for someone my height. It's on the list of things to do ASAP (read: as soon as the wife approves the bill).

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Welcome Justin!  Happy New Year and glad you found the site. 

Other comments pretty much sum up GI irons.  I started with them and they certainly help with mishits.  Here, I play mostly in desert type courses and the turf is usually pretty hard.  I found that the GI irons with wide soles was difficult to hit consistently so I went with slightly narrower soles; Ping i20's but looking to go to the new Hogans if they work for me.  If I lived in Florida or someplace similar with soft turf Bermuda, I might consider a wider sole again.  Generally, I say if you can pick the ball most of the time, choose a narrow sole but stay away from blades until you can pick the ball ALL of the time!  :)

Because of your height, you should be fitted for length and lie for any clubs you consider.  That will help some of the inconsistency of your swing.  Good luck.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm currently swinging TaylorMade rac LTs. I'm hitting them well other than the general skull or chunk as a result of inconsistent swing mechanics. I guess I'm struggling to understand what a GI club actually does for ball flight.

I have 3-4 sets if you want to try something different.  I live over in the Alamo Ranch area....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I have 3-4 sets if you want to try something different.  I live over in the Alamo Ranch area....

You're as close to Hyatt Hill Country as I am to Canyon Springs. Although for some reason I never seem to actually play the course I live next to.

I'd love to get a chance to swing another set of sticks at some point without the Golfsmith guy giving me the appraising look.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Welcome to MGS Justin!

GI are much more forgiving and well worth considering.  Since I'll be playing in a couple of weeks in Orlando, I may very well be taking my set of GI clubs since our courses have been closed for the past 10 weeks!  Play whatever helps you score ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

You're as close to Hyatt Hill Country as I am to Canyon Springs. Although for some reason I never seem to actually play the course I live next to.

I'd love to get a chance to swing another set of sticks at some point without the Golfsmith guy giving me the appraising look.

hahaha ,  I live 5 mintues away from Hyatt Hill Country,  play there all the time.  I am a member at Fair oaks ranch but for some reason play Sonterra more (go figure)  As soon as the doctor gives me the OK to take full swings we should get together and play a couple rounds....

TRUE STORY.......  Canyon Springs, #18.  (This Summer) There as a wedding over by the green near the water fall.  The guy who was paired up with me and my buddy "SKULLED" a three wood from the fairway on his approach shot into the middle of the ceremony and landed in the isle 3 feet from the bride.  About 200 people turned around in unison, and the brides father yells "YOU SUCK".......

.........best part is my buddy, playing partner, who who also witnessed this trick shot knew the groom !!!! I never laughed so hard on a golf course in my life.........

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

hahaha ,  I live 5 mintues away from Hyatt Hill Country,  play there all the time.  I am a member at Fair oaks ranch but for some reason play Sonterra more (go figure)  As soon as the doctor gives me the OK to take full swings we should get together and play a couple rounds....

TRUE STORY.......  Canyon Springs, #18.  (This Summer) There as a wedding over by the green near the water fall.  The guy who was paired up with me and my buddy "SKULLED" a three wood from the fairway on his approach shot into the middle of the ceremony and landed in the isle 3 feet from the bride.  About 200 people turned around in unison, and the brides father yells "YOU SUCK".......

.........best part is my buddy, playing partner, who who also witnessed this trick shot knew the groom !!!! I never laughed so hard on a golf course in my life.........

I would have peed myself and found a bunker to hide in. Beautiful hole though. You know now if I'm ever playing that hole and there's a wedding going on I am under no circumstances clubbing up at any point.

And yes, anytime.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Welcome Squire. ( I like that better than diddy or esquire. LOL) Glad you joined. I have a set of Rac LT's myself. I don't play them any longer but they are good hitting and feeling clubs I thought. They are not exactly game-improving class sticks but you have them so might as well go with it. I'd call them more mid-range player clubs. 8-12 handicapper. Have you considered fitting and new shafts? Might be the ticket for less than a new full set. Something to think about anyway. SA and the area sure has a ton of quality courses. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Welcome Squire. ( I like that better than diddy or esquire. LOL) Glad you joined. I have a set of Rac LT's myself. I don't play them any longer but they are good hitting and feeling clubs I thought. They are not exactly game-improving class sticks but you have them so might as well go with it. I'd call them more mid-range player clubs. 8-12 handicapper. Have you considered fitting and new shafts? Might be the ticket for less than a new full set. Something to think about anyway. SA and the area sure has a ton of quality courses. 

I am surely a golf squire at best, which I guess is like caddy, which actually grossly overstates my game knowledge. So, thanks for the compliment! ;)

I'm definitely going to get fit sometime soon. There's a club fitter down here that I've got my eye on. Just need to get the wife to approve the budget.

We are blessed with a lot of excellent publicly accessible and budget accessible courses down here. I'm a CA native who lived in DC for a decade and relocated to TX a year ago. The notion of playing a great course for under $100 is totally foreign to me (much less under $50 via Golf now sometimes).

Where in Texas are you?

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Welcome! I too transitioned to golf from basketball.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Welcome! I too transitioned to golf from basketball.

Totally a much less expensive hobby, am I right? ... crickets... crickets... damn it.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Totally a much less expensive hobby, am I right? ... crickets... crickets... damn it.

It is but I guess it's nice not to have to limp out of bed in the mornings.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Welcome JDiddy, I have all your albums.  Or is that pdiddy? Doesn't matter, I don't really have his albums. Welcome to the site, and welcome to Texas.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Welcome, I transitioned from baseball many moons ago and haven't gone back. Where did you play hoops? My very best High School buddy played at a little New England School that you may have heard of ....UConn. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Welcome, I transitioned from baseball many moons ago and haven't gone back. Where did you play hoops? My very best High School buddy played at a little New England School that you may have heard of ....UConn. :)

I got to play BB against one of the great outside shooting 7 footers in the game. Mel Counts. He took Oregon State to the Final Four and went on to win an NBA Championship with the Celtics. Well sorta... It was 1962 when he was at OSU; I was in the ninth grade.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Welcome to the forum looks like the Texas contingent is growing! Great bunch of folks on this forum and you have a great bunch where you live

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I was a late bloomer athletically. Graduated high school at 315lbs. Found basketball in college, then got real serious about it in my 20s. Torn ACL at 23. Rehabbed. Dunked a ball for the first time ever at 27. I was a competitive body builder briefly. Fractured the top of my tibia and sheered a piece off dunking. Rehabbed. Then started to get real into Crossfit and gymnastic training. Then I tore my Achilles. Rehabbed.

I'm really counting on golf to be safer. Although I'm afraid I may need mental rehab soon enough.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Welcome Jdiddy,  I was too short for BB, too small for Football and my Grandfather made me his caddy when i was 8 yrs old.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived