Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Going Public - Acushnet IPO Set For 2016?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Acushnet Company, which owns golf brands such as Titleist and Footjoy, chose U.S.-based Solebury Capital to advise on a potential IPO which could value the company at about $1.8 billion, a source with direct knowledge of the matter said.

The initial public offering is expected to take place in 2016 although the value and venue are yet to be decided, the source said on Tuesday, declining to be identified as they were not authorised to talk to the media.

The Korea Economic Daily reported earlier on Tuesday that Acushnet was expected to complete a listing around 2016, likely in New York, with an estimated market capitalisation of 2 trillion won ($1.81 billion), citing a high-ranking source at Mirae Asset.

Acushnet was bought by Fila Korea Ltd and Fila's South Korean partners such as Mirae Asset Private Equity for $1.23 billion in 2011. Fila and Mirae spokesmen confirmed that an IPO was being considered, but gave no further details.

According to the terms agreed upon its acquisition, an IPO would allow Fila Korea to boost its stake in Acushnet to about 33 percent from 12 percent in 2011, as well as clear liabilities incurred in the purchase.

Analyst Seo Young-hwa, of LIG Investment & Securities, wrote in a December report that an Acushnet IPO was expected next year.

Acushnet's earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation rose from $120 million at Fila Korea's acquisition to an estimated $185 million in 2014, he added.

Via: Reuters

#TruthDigest

Getting rid of the debt after the highly leveraged take-over and increasing your ownership stake at the same time.   Don't you just love capitalism?   But will this IPO float in this market at this time.   Expect to see some more stories about what a tremendous cash cow the ball division is and how Titleist's a steady earner in all climates, etc.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Am I reading this right?  Fila is going to have Acushnet go public and - as markb says - eliminate debt and increase their ownership?  Smart business - any could very well provide some capital to make some investments in the brand.  Best of all, as a public company, we'll get to see the annual reports, which are always fascinating...

So is this a good thing or a bad thing for Acushnet?  If there is capital investment, gotta think it's a good thing.  And the pre-tax, etc earnings look substantial - note they didn't say net profits or gross profits, so one must believe that Acushnet is a money-maker.  If you're going to go public, you might as well do it when the numbers are strong.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Actually a smart move. Think how many golfers like us on MGS would buy stock if only a few shares or am I simplifying it too much? I don't claim to know a lot about the market but I do piddle with penny stocks from time to time. I would definetly buy a few shares myself

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Deals like this bring a tear to my eye....but I think that any CFO would say that.  It is a smart move if it works and tapping into foreign markets is the way to go these days as they can tolerate steady returns with modest gains more so than the US market can.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Deals like this bring a tear to my eye....but I think that any CFO would say that.  It is a smart move if it works and tapping into foreign markets is the way to go these days as they can tolerate steady returns with modest gains more so than the US market can.

Yeah Mike, but will this IPO float at present?   I guess it depends on what initial offering price they stick on it.   Too high and the balloon doesn't float.  I mean sure, Titleist is the THE platinum golf brand to attract attention, but surely Wall Street senses that golf is not a hot growth industry, potential investors are not going to believe hockey stick growth projections.   They're going to see the ball division cash cow, chunking out steady returns and factor that in with slight growth, at best.  The rest of the products are just market share points that may tick up or down, but probably not do much.  

My gut tells me they overpaid in 2011 and now their debt servicing is killing them.  But what do I know.

Without seeing the financials it is hard to say if it floats or it does not, but from the view of the ball market they are the premium name and I would assume they have a steady revenue stream with decent margins.  The equipment industry is not what it used to be and that is for sure so I can't say that this would be big splash in the equity market right now.  Foreign investment is getting a lot or traction right now with the uncertainty in China and the growth of wealth in some of the developing countries where golf equipment still sells at a premium (for US brands anyway).  It will be an interesting case study once the financial data becomes completely public in the S1 filing and the insight in the MD&A would at least be an interesting read.  

On the debt servicing side I would not think the load would be crippling since most of these deals are really backloaded in amortization payments and the interest cost on that amount of money should be overcome very easily.  Normally when I structure these deals I load the interest into the principal for at least the first 24 to 28 months (non-compounding) and keep the quarterly amortization payments at 5% per quarter or less with a balloon at the end.  The general Idea is that the balloon will never come due as a refi will happen before that point. 

WITB 2024

Without seeing the financials it is hard to say if it floats or it does not, but from the view of the ball market they are the premium name and I would assume they have a steady revenue stream with decent margins. The equipment industry is not what it used to be and that is for sure so I can't say that this would be big splash in the equity market right now. Foreign investment is getting a lot or traction right now with the uncertainty in China and the growth of wealth in some of the developing countries where golf equipment still sells at a premium (for US brands anyway). It will be an interesting case study once the financial data becomes completely public in the S1 filing and the insight in the MD&A would at least be an interesting read.

On the debt servicing side I would not think the load would be crippling since most of these deals are really backloaded in amortization payments and the interest cost on that amount of money should be overcome very easily. Normally when I structure these deals I load the interest into the principal for at least the first 24 to 28 months (non-compounding) and keep the quarterly amortization payments at 5% per quarter or less with a balloon at the end. The general Idea is that the balloon will never come due as a refi will happen before that point.

*Golf Clap* :)

Posted Image

I'll bet the margins on balls aren't just decent, I'll bet they are cocaine cartel good.

I'll bet the margins on balls aren't just decent, I'll bet they are cocaine cartel good.

........we are about to find out in the very near future...

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

My assumption as well but need to look at the conservative side. I would guess that all in they are well north of 50%.

WITB 2024

Steady returns with modest gains always make me smile ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived